World Series

FanofDinsey1981

Remember when the bulls played the Jazz in the 1998 finals? Remember Phil Jackson complaining about the noise leve (fireworks going off inside, etc)? Remember how the bulls still won in Utah?

Every year we believe that unless it is our guys calling the game, the national guys hate us or are biased to the other team or whatever. Or the umpires are out to get us (any bulls fan knows what ref I am possibly refering to). But in the end, the best team wins. There are bad calls throughout the year, and it might cost a game or two, but there is usually a call later down the road that goes for us.

This same example could be analized from the Olympics. Hamm won the gold medal. he deserved it. While the other guy didn't have the correct start value, they also MISSED two deductions (trust me on this), which would have given him a lower score. They could have gone back and looked at EVERY routine, and given different scores, but that isn't how the sport is.

What about the no-call (depending on who you talk to) on Jordan in the 98 finals? Was it an amazing shot, or a push off foul? Did it cost the Jazz the game? or would the bulls have come back in overtime?

Did the Bartman ball really throw the WS for the Cubs? are they cursed!? Or was it the inability to get any outs after that moment? or the inability to win the next game....at home!?

Did the call giving AJ first cost the angels the game? or was it the pinch runner Ozuna stealing second, and Joe 'Clutch' Crede's double that drove in the winning run?

I could go on. But I won't. In the end, we have to remember it is a game.

GenerationX

Great game last night! My voice is still hoarse from yelling. I ended up having to go through a ticket broker to get a seat, and I'm glad I did. Two White Sox home runs, Luis Aparacio throwing out the ceremonial first pitch, a couple of great plays by Crede to save runs, and the lights out bullpen (Cotts, Jenks) that struck out 5 of the 7 batters they faced. I'll save the ticket stub for life.

8 down, 3 to go. Go White Sox!!

imagineer boy

Go Sox! You know what's funny. There are some cubs fans starting to support the white sox, and you know what they call them? "BiSOXual" :lol:

Number_6

imagineer boy said:
Go Sox! You know what's funny. There are some cubs fans starting to support the white sox, and you know what they call them? "BiSOXual" :lol:

Wouldn't that make more sense for Red Sox fans rooting for the White Sox because they don't want Clemens to win another World Series ring?

Erika

imagineer boy said:

Plenty of us, though we may prefer one team over the other, are in fact fans of both. :wave: You will find Sox hating Cubs fans and vice versa but most people I know root for Chicago, period. Plenty of Sox fans were pulling for the Cubs two years ago. Some people take these things seriously but rivalries can be fun and for the most part we are quite civilized about it.

My mom, a South Sider, is a Cubs fan. My dad, a North Shore boy, is a Sox fan. Backwards, maybe... but regardless, I grew up watching both teams and have many happy memories of Wrigley and Comiskey alike. It's not a matter of "starting to support the Sox" but merely a matter of standing by our city.

I will root for the Sox EXCEPT when they play the Cubs. And now that I'm in Phoenix, I suppose I will have to fit the Diamondbacks in there as well. :lookaroun At least they have pretty purple uniforms.

imagineer boy

Number_6 said:
Wouldn't that make more sense for Red Sox fans rooting for the White Sox because they don't want Clemens to win another World Series ring?

Maybe that's what they meant and I just misunderstood. But you're right, that would make more sence.

Number_6

Erika said:
And now that I'm in Phoenix, I suppose I will have to fit the Diamondbacks in there as well. :lookaroun At least they have pretty purple uniforms.

And they actually won a World Series more recently than some teams. But if the White Sox actually pull this off, then that won't matter so much.

Erika

Number_6 said:
And they actually won a World Series more recently than some teams. But if the White Sox actually pull this off, then that won't matter so much.

:lol: It's funny, because now that they are changing the name of the park, people are walking around "It will always be The BOB to me!" And you wonder if they realize the place is not even a decade old :lookaroun It's only been there for like 7 years!

It's a nice stadium but there is no real history yet. The WS win was cool, yes, but it almost feels wrong to have one so early in the life of the team.

FanofDinsey1981

wow. all I can say is game 1 was amazing. My sister and I were right next to the ivy in the outfield, and we had a BLAST. I have never seen chicago fans more excited, happy, and friendly to each other. I hugged and high-fived complete strangers, I discussed the game with people I couldn't tell you their names. and i took a bunch of pictures that I will have to link to once my website is back up. I have never seen the cell like that, with no spare seats to be found, with no cubbie blue or Astro red. It was 41,000 fans all cheering in unison. Unbelievable.

Then last night!? Pods?! The guy who had one home run in the post season, and NONE in the regular season!? HE hits the homerun to win the game in the bottom of the 9th!?!!?! That was unreal. What a game!

I am so glad I have a voice this morning. ;)

FanofDinsey1981

GenerationX said:
Great game last night! My voice is still hoarse from yelling. I ended up having to go through a ticket broker to get a seat, and I'm glad I did. Two White Sox home runs, Luis Aparacio throwing out the ceremonial first pitch, a couple of great plays by Crede to save runs, and the lights out bullpen (Cotts, Jenks) that struck out 5 of the 7 batters they faced. I'll save the ticket stub for life.

8 down, 3 to go. Go White Sox!!

where were your seats?

GenerationX

FanofDinsey1981 said:
where were your seats?
I was in the 6th row in the upper deck, about mid-way into right field. Not great, but good seats. It was fabulous to be surrounded by fellow rabid fans. Even in the men's room, people were yelling the "Let's go White Sox" chant, then banging the drum part on the stall doors. Yeah, I participated and didn't feel the least bit silly. :)

I, too, was surprised at how much I talked to strangers and how friendly everyone was. There was even a lone Astros fan sitting in our area, and no one was the least bit disrespectful to him. Let's face it, Sox fans just don't hate the Astros. We all know who Sox fans hate.

Were you interviewed by a local TV reporter? I saw a young woman wearing both Sox and Illini gear being interviewed after Sunday night's game.

FanofDinsey1981

GenerationX said:
I was in the 6th row in the upper deck, about mid-way into right field. Not great, but good seats. It was fabulous to be surrounded by fellow rabid fans. Even in the men's room, people were yelling the "Let's go White Sox" chant, then banging the drum part on the stall doors. Yeah, I participated and didn't feel the least bit silly. :)

I, too, was surprised at how much I talked to strangers and how friendly everyone was. There was even a lone Astros fan sitting in our area, and no one was the least bit disrespectful to him. Let's face it, Sox fans just don't hate the Astros. We all know who Sox fans hate.

Were you interviewed by a local TV reporter? I saw a young woman wearing both Sox and Illini gear being interviewed after Sunday night's game.

Nope, not me. Though I was wearing an illini sweatshirt with my sox jersey over it, illini gloves, and my big ten champs illini wrestling ski cap.

I will agree about the houston fans, we definatly don't hate them. In fact, I respect Houston as a team. They are built much like the sox are, and they play a good game. You have to respect their lineup, and I actually am a bit nervous about Oswalt going tonight against us. I saw what he did to a very good St. Louis team.

SpongeScott

Congrats to the White Sox. What a buzzsaw they were in the playoffs. They actually ended up winning 16 of their last 17 games.

Nice to see another team win that hasn't won in a long time.

Let's go Cubbies?

Erika

SpongeScott said:
Congrats to the White Sox. What a buzzsaw they were in the playoffs. They actually ended up winning 16 of their last 17 games.

Nice to see another team win that hasn't won in a long time.

Let's go Cubbies?

Ohhhhhhh, that would be sweet :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom