Woman hurt in boat accident in WDW 4/27/2010

fillerup

This is being discussed on Celebration's website and these people are Celebration residents, though I don't know any more than that.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What's the statute of limitations on the required mentioning the monorail crash in every transportation article? 1 year? 2 years? 5? 10? :hammer:

If it wasn't the monorail crash they would bring up a bus accident, a CM losing his life practicing his routine, or someone simply falling on their during a rainstorm. I'm sure they'd put up hurricane or earthquake images if they could somehow tie them to WDW.....

The Mom

Premium Member
My husband and I used to race our sailboat in Narragansett Bay. Sailboats have the right of way over power boats, but not the huge freighters. Well, technically, they do, but everyone knew that you would be crazy to get too close to them.

Big always trumps small when it comes to collisions, so the smaller your vehicle, the more careful you have to be to avoid a run in with something larger.

floridabill

ok so what happens to the boats now?? Do you think they will make them even slower? they wouldn't get rid of them al together. or hopefully they just don't touch them at all. maybe just stricter rules??

muteki

Ok, I hope the woman is alright, however it sounds like the woman's husband or whoever was driving what I am assuming is one of the small Sea Raycer boats was completely ignorant if they thought that one of the ferry's could maneuver better and quicker than he could. I mean who aims for a large object like this with the idea that "oh, he will move". People like this are why it won't be long before the rest of us can't enjoy renting a boat at WDW.

-Jeff

Wouldn't surprise me, counting down the days.

Bluewaves

Rule of the water ways, big boats have the right way, with some exceptions of un powered craft, but in general big boat has right of way. Sounds like this guy should of been paying attention to what he was doing.

Loretta

So that's what happened. We were on our way to DTD on the 22nd (our last day) when a security boat went flying past us. Our captain even said "that's not good". We were getting close to the dock when another security boat pulled up and told the captain to stay at the dock until further notice. When we got back to Riverside 3 hours later there were still 2 unmanned pontoon boats at their dock. We both (DH and I) remember two small boats out there, but don't remember any driving fast. Glad we didn't see it.

floridabill

So that's what happened. We were on our way to DTD on the 22nd (our last day) when a security boat went flying past us. Our captain even said "that's not good". We were getting close to the dock when another security boat pulled up and told the captain to stay at the dock until further notice. When we got back to Riverside 3 hours later there were still 2 unmanned pontoon boats at their dock. We both (DH and I) remember two small boats out there, but don't remember any driving fast. Glad we didn't see it.
22!!???!!! wow and this is just hitting the news now??!!?? and its plastered under breaking news!!!! What is with the media breaking news is news at the moment not 5 days later!!!!! :mad:

Grlwonder

22!!???!!! wow and this is just hitting the news now??!!?? and its plastered under breaking news!!!! What is with the media breaking news is news at the moment not 5 days later!!!!! :mad:

Yes, I was thinking about that too. The article says posted today, the 27th, but says that the accident happened thursday. I was confused on that too. Maybe the wife decided to talk about it now?

At least it's not another bus accident. :p

WDW Vacationer

:brick:Seriously? He couldn't get out of the way of the ferry? Somehow,they will blame this on Disney. Whoever brought up the Prius and the truck is 100% correct!

T-1MILLION

While many little accidents make news because it happens at a theme park and this one does not seem to have much fault at Disney from what we know...

If it was not for Disney's recent horrible things happening in their transportation department for guests this one would not of been as likely to make this much news.

tecowdw

I'm surprised this type of thing doesn't happen more often with these Water Mice boats. They allow inexperienced people of nearly any age to boat around waterways that are active transportation routes (along side some REALLY BIG boats too). Seems like an accident waiting to happen every day!

:shrug:

Really sorry to hear this woman was hurt but it sounds like her husband might have been operating it unsafely. It doesn't pay to be reckless with motorized vehicles!

Korfar

Sounds like alcohol was probably involved. I sure hope his wife makes it through without any permenant injuries. I hate to see people injured by someone elses stupidity. Unfortuntately Disney will probably have to pay something for this. Slime ball lawyers all over the country will want a piece of Disney.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Sounds like alcohol was probably involved. I sure hope his wife makes it through without any permenant injuries. I hate to see people injured by someone elses stupidity. Unfortuntately Disney will probably have to pay something for this. Slime ball lawyers all over the country will want a piece of Disney.
The incident report says the husband didn't appear to have been drinking alcoholic beverages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom