Will Dubai one day replace Orlando as the world's #1 theme park city?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DubaiLand IS NOT, just one theme park in Dubai. it is a planned 100sq mile entertainment district. Hotels, office, condos, tons of reatail, and a mutliple number of theme parks. So far Six Flags had a theme park pplanned for the district, also DreamWorks is planning thier first ever Theme park there, and Universal Studios has also announced a theme park to be added to the district. Universal announced a park the size of the Orlando location minus IOA. There was a special on CNBC hosted by the rather attractive Erin Burnett. The CEO of Universal, six flags, and DreamWorks all were intervied about it. Its a 5 hour flight from most of Europe too. This has potential to be a draw if it remains a safe country. I believt the SkiDubai will be incorperated into the district as well, but i wasnt clear on that.

WaltsApprentice

DubaiLand IS NOT, just one theme park in Dubai. it is a planned 100sq mile entertainment district. Hotels, office, condos, tons of reatail, and a mutliple number of theme parks. So far Six Flags had a theme park pplanned for the district, also DreamWorks is planning thier first ever Theme park there, and Universal Studios has also announced a theme park to be added to the district. Universal announced a park the size of the Orlando location minus IOA. There was a special on CNBC hosted by the rather attractive Erin Burnett. The CEO of Universal, six flags, and DreamWorks all were intervied about it. Its a 5 hour flight from most of Europe too. This has potential to be a draw if it remains a safe country. I believt the SkiDubai will be incorperated into the district as well, but i wasnt clear on that.

Interesting info... but Still kinda unsure about it all...I don't know if that was an offical promo but like another poster said...that if your spending that much money...you think it would be a promo that you didn't steal footage from other parks/ companies. But again I don't think I would fly all they way out there...maybe...but not as long as I have WDW in my back yard (metaphorically speaking, haha don't want anyone getting jealous:lookaroun)

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Busch parks are also building a Busch Gardens, Sea World, and Discovery Cove in Dubai

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Wow! Well, that's the first I've ever seen of it. As impressive as it PLANS on being, I just don't see that working. Of course, that's what a lot of people said about WDW...

Figment1986

looks like its an older promo/come and join the project video... esp since Busch Entertainment is building its Worlds of Discovery on the Palm Jebel Ali which is outside of the Dubailand area but within Dubai. and that video shows footage from BGT and SWO...

Poor Minnie...

A sneak peek at what awaits Minnie on a trip to Dubai...
I hope she doesn't get caught having lunch with Donald or Goofy without Mickey in certain emirates... she'll be stoned to death!!!

Burka_Minnie.JPG

retroeric

Original Poster
For those who brought up the lack of imagination in the naming of these parks (Dinosaur World, Golf World, Fill-in-the-blank World etc) those will not be the actual names. This video was made a while back, and every one of these places will have a more creative name once the plans get closer to reality. In many cases, they are looking for sponsors and offering naming rights. For example, Dinosaur World has since been renamed "The Restless Planet" and is being developed in cooperation with England's Natural History Museum. "Golf World" will be called "Tiger Woods Dubai".

candyman9585

:confused: this whole thing seems just too ambitious. i mean think about the logistics involved here...i know someone had mentioned costs about keeping the thing running..but what about everything else involved...there's going to be x-number of theme parks, malls, golf courses, etc. i just can't fathom a couple things with this place...staffing? where on earth are they pulling all these people from that are going to be running all these places? that is a HUGE undertaking, i can't imagine the hiring deparment/process. lol. and i really didn't watch the entire video b/c it was too overwhelming to watch after a few minutes, but from the satellite video it seems like this place is just in the middle of some desert, so where are all the staff going to be living? lol. and the visitors? i get that this place is all about tourists and whatnot but this thing is enormous, i just can't imagine having a good vacation at this place...it just seems so overwhelming, and why would i want to travel to the ends of the earth to shop, play some golf, and go on some rides? it just doesn't seem like it would end up being a relaxing, or even justifiable vacation to do just that. it just seems like there's way too much to do and see :brick: and the same thing as the rest of you are all saying...security.. that's my biggest thing with this place. yea i know i was brought up to not judge something before knowing, and i'm sure people have the argument that it's a safe area or whatnot, or there aren't terrorists in the area, but i just don't think i could bring myself to ever wanting to travel to the area...for money reasons, security reasons, and as i said before the idea of traveling forever away to shop, play some golf and visit a theme park. lol. well that's my take on it. Have a magical day all!! :)

Illegal Footage & More Complicated Issues

Hope my post isn't too much of a downer, but I did a lot of research for months into Sharia and the UAE when a friend of mine married a guy there and went to live there. I'm trying to stay honest and balanced.

@retroeric, samshem, Rototom, Shadowdawn, eroyee, futurecastmembr, SewIn2Disney

Yea, I've been meaning to post this vid for awhile. I made note that you see the following:

Disneyland "it's a small world" at 10:25-10:27

Las Vegas Circus Circus's Indoor Amusement Park at 10:32-10:42

Anyone care to add for the fun of it?

The "it's a small world" really perked up my eyes. I haven't even been to Disneyland, and the other was just so obvious, but it seems as if the creator tried to coverup by switching scenes every few seconds, especially on the more known places.

As far as I know, UAE has reciprocity of copyright law with the US, so I think it should be very illegal even there.

And the contact info on theemiratesnetwork.com reveals the 971 UAE country code, so it evidently is from there.

I'm with you! Don't get me wrong, it looks like it would be a lot of fun. I (for one American) would not travel to the middle east, sorry. And I can't see that changing for me.

I have to agree with you on the American tourist dollar. Plus, I think that too many Americans are still afraid to travel to the Middle East.

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Americans in the United Arab Emirates should exercise a high level of security...

Yep, I hate to say it but I think I feel just about like you MicheleK, don't see it changing for me soon either. In 2022, after the first batch of thousands of tourists have paved the way, I might reconsider. I do think tourism is an excellent way to build bridges and maybe enlighten others (and ourselves), but that's one place I just don't feel comfortable enough yet. Though, if I was forced to pick one place in the Middle East to visit, UAE, preferibly Dubai, especially Dubai City, would be my pick.

If it had more class than the video implies, it would be rather neat. I still find the idea of skiing indoors fascinating.

I would never go to Dubai...Dubai still has some weird laws on the books...

I actually would be more concerned about the archaic laws than any fear of terrorism there. A 15-year-old French boy who claimed to be attacked by 3 men there ended up going to Switzerland...

That's Sharia for you. Yes, especially if I were a woman I would have some reservations. There's some not-so-great stuff that pops up on Amnesty International. Yep, Wilt, some minds (and the associated laws) need to be opened there as well.

At the same time, UAE is making some strides. Though controversial, a woman founded a women's shelter. On a trial basis, a whole 1/2 (20 seats) of the Federal National Council was opened to general election and even one woman won.

While visas are relatively easy to obtain, you can get them when arriving at the airport if coming from US I think, people from once particular country are flat out refused entry, even if they're the secretary of a foreign representative with prior approval.

A sneak peek at what awaits Minnie on a trip to Dubai...

While dress is supposed to be conservative, you can dress down at your own risk (usually harmless harrassment). Dress at clubs and beaches is relaxed.

And it's been nearly a decade since the last stoning I think. Mostly it gets bumped down to life imprisonment after appeals. Such serious measures reflect badly on them they realize, plus such Hudud crimes justify having extremely good proof.

Make sure you don't have a speck of marijuana on your shoe when you visit!

Or even have the traces of prescription tylenol with codeine in your system, let alone on you (it's not a valid prescription there).

Focusing more on the central question of the thread, the logistics seem really out there. As one pointed out, who will be the employees? The expats (that make up roughly 90% of the country) have rioted and striked on a few occasions, even breaking millions in construction equipment (largely due to illegal ransom of passports and withholding wages for months), will they be the workers kindly directing you to the "it's a small world" clone? The deadline for completion keeps getting pushed back and new ideas are added. Again, I hope they can get their ducks in a row, but it really seems a longshot.

Anyway, I'm a little pessimistic, both of the park(s) and the surrounding issues, but it would be wonderful to be proved wrong. It would be nice if the park and other public works turn out really successful and help bring the Middle East and the rest of the world closer through tourism. Living in WDW for a week is mind-blowing enough, Dubailand might be too much overload, but if you could afford it, it might just be amazing.

Syntho_Magnetic

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
this is a little off subject, but if your main export is oil and that main is running out (possibly in the next 20 years from today) what is your country going to do for income? this started the all the major tourist hotels etc. especially the funky man made islands that they have made (with seaworld being one of the parks on it). so to answer the OP question, wow, i dont think it will, but you have to give that country credit in making some bold gutsy decisions.... like millions and millions on a man made island.

build it and they will come, just ask Seaworld.

DME

If this theme park were to become a reality...they've got all the money they'd ever need for anything they want. All they have to do is buy out all of Disney's imagineers and executives.....

DME

What would it be like for American women there? I assume Dubai is a bit more liberal than the other Middle-Eastern countries, but will the American women have to be fully covered? I'm sure my wife wouldn't be too happy to learn that she can't wear tank tops or shorts. Anyone know if there'd be a dress code there?

PigletIsMyCat

I would refuse to ever visit a country with laws on their books like laws still existing in parts of UAE. If they want to be a world-wide tourist destination, they need to have a world-view similar to the rest of the civilized world. Native womein in parts of the Middle East cannot vote, marry, or travel without PERMISSION from their spouse or male family member. Spousal rape is common - men have the absolute right to their wives' bodies at any time.

Many non-Christians face persecution and harrasment in America because of their religion - can you imagine what non-Christians could be subjected to in the UAE?? We do not live in under any religious law - UAE lives under Islamic law. What about gay people? What would the locals or the workers do if two women were together, shopping and holding hands, or if they had a child with them? What would they do if they saw a woman in a tank top? With tattoos? With full makeup on? Are tourists, people who do not normally live under the laws of Islam, going to be exempt from said laws? And, even if they are, do you really think the general population living under Islamic law will be lenient?

Only 12 years ago, my mother was driving in her own car, smoking a cigarette, in New York, and was forced off the road by a gentlman screaming at her about how she shouldn't be driving, where was her husband?, how dare she!, etc. As per my mother's telling and witnesses, this gentleman was Islamic, and was probably angry about the things my mother was doing that were against Islamic law. He was in America, trying to force Islamic religious law on people around him. Are people under Islamic religious law in Dubai going to give us a free pass?

IMHO, this is what comes of mixing religion and laws: I live by the laws of my land, of America, of Florida. I try not to speed, I do not kill people, I do not steal things, I do not cheat on my taxes. I follow these laws because I choose to live in America. If I were to move to, say, England, I'd follow the laws there. When people from England are on vacation in Florida, they are subject to the laws of Florida, and America. When you have the laws of the land as RELIGIOUS laws, it incites a fervor in people to make sure others follow the laws, not because the police are going to catch you, but because a god is going to punish you, possibly punish his people as a whole.

Anyway, long winded as it was, there is absolutely NO WAY I would ever, ever, ever, ever, visit Dubai until the UAE in general has a better attitude towards women. Also, why would I bother, when in America, with a much shorter and cheaper flight, I can see a desert, outlet malls, many many golf courses, two versions of the Magic Kingdom, numerous other Disney parks, three different Universal Studios, three Sea Worlds (that I know of), at least two Busch Gardens theme parks (that I know of), a bunch of Six Flags parks, and visit Vegas (all of these things within a 7 hour flight of where I live now, not 17) PLUS I know I'm not in danger of being heckled, stoned, beat, hit, spit at, or cursed at for wearing a tank top, showing my ankles, having my own religious beliefs, being tattooed and pierced, or wearing lots of eye makeup.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Off the Dubailand website:
Ramadan is the holy month in which Muslims commemorate the revelation of the Holy Koran. The timing of Ramadan is not fixed in terms of the Western calendar, but occurs a few days earlier each year. It is a month of fasting when Moslems abstain from all food, drink and cigarettes during daylight hours. Visitors are also required to refrain from consuming these items in public places during this time.
Woah, woah, woah... AMERICANS not eating, drinking, or smoking? They just lost a whole ignorant country of business!

If it does succeed, though, I'd love to go.
On the same note, if a flying unicorn was genetically engineered, I'd love to go on that, too...

What would it be like for American women there? I assume Dubai is a bit more liberal than the other Middle-Eastern countries, but will the American women have to be fully covered? I'm sure my wife wouldn't be too happy to learn that she can't wear tank tops or shorts. Anyone know if there'd be a dress code there?

It is much more liberal. I'd assume that they might treat Dubailand like a beach in some places, so you could get by with dressing down a bit.

There's not special clothing you have to wear, it's just generally best to dress conservatively, not show legs or arms except at a club, pool, or beach. Women can get harrassed verbally and slightly more on the streets if they dress down.

As it is, the UAE has already made a fairly big catering to tourists: alcohol. You can buy it in most of the hotel restaurants and bars. I think you just need to show your ID or whatever, to prove you're not a local. But I hear that lots of locals try to visit the hotels and sneak drinks.

Then again:
Off the Dubailand website:
Ramadan is the holy month in which Muslims commemorate the revelation of the Holy Koran. The timing of Ramadan is not fixed in terms of the Western calendar, but occurs a few days earlier each year. It is a month of fasting when Moslems abstain from all food, drink and cigarettes during daylight hours. Visitors are also required to refrain from consuming these items in public places during this time.
Woah, woah, woah... AMERICANS not eating, drinking, or smoking? They just lost a whole ignorant country of business!

Ok, not doubting you TubaGeek, but I just had to see this with my own eyes. All I can say is, "wow!" Straight from dubiland.ae:

Visitors are also required to refrain from consuming these items in public places during this time.

It's true! So, I think Ramadan will be their off season. Maybe discounts for UAE citizens during this time. As rich as the country is, I guess they can afford the business hit. Just think, no restaurants, no drink stands in the heat of the parks, visitors buying stuff and retreating back to their hotel rooms. Wow!

So given the time that Ramadan will be in 2018, Ramadan will fall during the not-at-all peak season of late June, early July. That will be a little bit of a stumbling block. :)

@PigletIsMyCat

Sorry for your mishap, but there are stupid people everywhere. And yes, the "Gay Day" held at Walt Disney World in June won't be moving to Dubailand anytime soon, if you know what I mean. I am still wary of the court system in general. I mean, it probably wouldn't be a problem, but IF something did happen, it could be a big problem. However, laws regarding women: divorce, legalized domestic abuse, freedom to leave the country without husband's permission, etc., would generally not influence a woman visiting there. Unlike Saudia Arabia, women are much more encouraged to attend college, can buy/sell/drive cars, and don't need a male chaperone. So a woman would be free to visit on her own or with a friend, rent a car, etc.

So, all-in-all, there are a fair amount of (especially wealthy) tourists already checking out the huge buildings and hotels, so who knows what might happen, Dubailand might be a success. But I still don't see (and especially don't hope) that WDW gets eclipsed by it.

Syntho_Magnetic

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It would take a hell of a long time, and once the radicals see theres money being made trouble will move there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom