Will Dubai one day replace Orlando as the world's #1 theme park city?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinnieLee

I thought I saw clips from Sea World, Universal and, oh, was that Space Mountain. No thank you. I want to keep as much of my hard earned U.S. dollars and spend it in WDW - even though we spent $4.00 per gallon for home heating oil and $3.39 for a gallon of gas. I can't even imagine what a "park Hopper" would cost or a night in one of the hotels. How many nights would you have to stay to go to all the "parks". I would not go to the Middle East right now and how could they say "Welcome Home"?

retroeric

Original Poster
This has got to be a joke, right? Will someone please check an atlas or something!!! Dubai is in the heart of the Persian Gulf, 25 short miles across the Straight of Hormuz from Iran. 25% of the population claims Iranian-persian heritage, another 55% Arab. Dubai is the second largest emirate within the United Arab Emirates. Although it is considered the most progressive nation in the region, it still abides by fundemental Islamic law. It may be all wine and roses now, but I wouldn't travel there as an American or "Westerner".
Most human rights organizations list it negatively and extreme Islamic Fundamentalists complain about it.
Mark the day and time of this post. It won't be long, a year or maybe 18 months before this place is in the news for all the wrong reasons. I hope I'm wrong, but the information and facts are there.

Here is the posting from the U.S. Department of State;

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Americans in the United Arab Emirates should exercise a high level of security awareness. The Department of State remains concerned about the possibility of terrorist attacks against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world. Americans should maintain a low profile, vary routes and times for all required travel, and treat mail and packages from unfamiliar sources with caution. In addition, U.S. citizens are urged to avoid contact with any suspicious, unfamiliar objects, and to report the presence of the objects to local authorities. U.S. Government personnel overseas have been advised to take the same precautions. In addition, U.S. Government facilities may temporarily close or suspend public services from time to time as necessary to review their security posture and ensure its adequacy.
Taking photographs of potentially-sensitive UAE military and civilian sites, or foreign diplomatic missions, including the U.S. Embassy, may result in arrest, detention and/or prosecution by local authorities. In addition, engaging in mapping activities, especially mapping which includes the use of GPS equipment, without coordination with UAE authorities, may have the same consequences.

On several occasions in the past three years, small groups of expatriate recreational boaters were detained by the Iranian Coast Guard for alleged violation of Iranian territorial waters while fishing near the island of Abu Musa, approximately 20 miles from Dubai. The UAE and Iran have had a long-standing dispute concerning jurisdiction of Abu Musa. Fishing or sailing in these waters may result in seizure of vessels and detention of passengers and crew in Iran. Obtaining consular assistance in Iran is difficult and can only be done through the Swiss Embassy in Tehran, which acts as a Protecting Power, providing limited U.S. consular services.

You're totally right about that. I wouldn't go, because I'd never feel completely safe or comfortable. But you gotta love how just about every one in that video, stock footage or not, looks totally American. They're trying. :lol:

DonaldDoleWhip

Due to the music, the announcer, the crappy CGI, the crappy names, and the footage from Space Mountain, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Universal, Sea World, and Busch Gardens, I thought the whole thing was a joke.

It looks totally ridiculous, and I would never want to go there (even if my security wasn't an issue). Disney World provides me with all the magic I desire.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's very easy to make concept art and videos, but a whole different story to actually pull it off to a level comparible to Disney - just ask all the other parks in the USA and beyond that have tried it. They dont have the history, creative capability, the technical experience, or the Disney calibre of operational staff to pull it off.

Rototom

It will not be better than WDW or DL in quality, but if built it may do very well.

It is close to some of the most populus nations in the wolrd and if they can get the Asian market interested the attendance numbers could be huge.

They do not need Americans to go at all.

Rototom

Oh BTW, they pirated so much stuff in that video that they should be ashamed.

I saw WDW & universal clips, and scenes from at least a half dozen movies.

I bet most of the hotel shots are lifted as well.

Not for me

DisneyPirate85

You know with all thats happening in the Middle East I just don't see it as a viable option for Americans, Sure some will go, but not us, and i would consider us as the "typical" american family middle class with a good income.:shrug:
If this becomes a large tourist attraction then it also becomes a very large bullseye for all the crazy terriost out there willing to die for there "cause"
No, we'll not be going, DVC is good enough for us.....:wave:

Dizknee_Phreek

You know, it's funny this was brought up, as I was JUST looking up some things in Dubai...mainly just checking out that 7 star hotel and the Wild Wadi park....I have to say they have some VERY impressive (and unexpected) things in Dubai!
Haven't watched that whole video yet, but what I saw looks very interesting.
BUT do I think it can "beat" Disney? No. It may be bigger, it might even draw in more money...I dunno. But as people keep saying, Disney has the magic factor. Many, if not most, people who visit Disney's parks have grown up with Walt and/or the characters. So when they visit the parks and see these characters, it's very personal for them. I don't see that happening at Dubailand...unless they're incorporating locally known characters or something. Plus, since Disney parks have been around so long, it's part of history now...and that's something that draws people in. It's a landmark. And no matter how old or historic Dubailand becomes...Disney will always be older and more historic.
And, of course, as others have mentioned, we have the whole Middle East thing that, at least, Americans are so freaked out by. I don't see that going away for a looooong time. If ever.

So, it looks cool...but I don't think it will ever have the fan factor that Disney does.

Wilt Dasney

I wouldn't feel uneasy about going there, from what I know of the place. You never hear about any bombs going off in Dubai (unless I've missed something). They seem to have carved out their own modern, global city near some of the hottest spots on the globe, and up to now, the separation seems to have held.

That being said, "Dubailand" wouldn't be enough to entice me, based on that video. I'd be more interested in actually seeing the city.

KCMouse

I would never go to Dubai. If you watch the Travel or Discovery Channel, you will learn why Dubai is building Island's, shopping malls, and theme parks. Their oil is set to dry up in 10 or 15 years. The prince has decided that tourism is going to make up for the loss of oil revenues.

I can't see tourism to a Middle East country making up for the loss of oil revenues. The county might be in shambles in a few years. I certainly do not want to fly there and I have some European friends that also would never go to Dubai. Dubai still has some weird laws on the books, a lot of crimes that we consider misdemeanors are punishable by life in prison or even death. At least in Florida I don't think I would get the death penalty unless I kill someone.:hammer:

Wilt Dasney

I actually would be more concerned about the archaic laws than any fear of terrorism there. A 15-year-old French boy who claimed to be attacked by 3 men there ended up going to Switzerland after Dubai authorities apparently threatened to put him in jail for being a party to his own attack. (I'm trying to be as discreet as possible here, but read between the lines.) Two of the men have since been sentenced to long prison terms, but it apparently took a lot of pressure from the French government and some unfavorable press coverage to get the ball rolling.

It sounds like the legal system is still trying to catch up to the city, in some ways. For most people who keep to themselves, it probably wouldn't be a problem. You'd just want to make doubly sure to keep your nose clean there.

Roxas

Ridiculous, apart from the stock footage there's also the total lack of imagination.

Dinosaur World, Ski World, Golf World, Monster world, Movie World, Equestrian World, Water World, Future World, Toilet World etc.

A world for everything.

retroeric

Original Poster
Ridiculous, apart from the stock footage there's also the total lack of imagination.

Dinosaur World, Ski World, Golf World, Monster world, Movie World, Equestrian World, Water World, Future World, Toilet World etc.

A world for everything.

Hey how is that different from 192 and I-Drive? :lol:

ChrisFL

Premium Member

A world for everything.

You forgot the best one, Flea Market World!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Whatcha think?
With the decreasing foreign tourist numbers in the US, the ever worsening foreign view of the US, the more ridiculous travel restrictions to the US, and poor attitudes of American statesmen abroad, it could very well be a possibility. Not even the ever plunging Bush Peso can help us now.

Dizknee_Phreek

I watched the whole video earlier today....:ROFLOL: Are they serious? I was cracking up the whole way through! That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen! And why did the announcer sound American? And the dinosaurs? They couldn't even get good cgi's for it...I'd hate to see what they would look like in person. I was waiting the the TRex to eat someone. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom