Will Dubai one day replace Orlando as the world's #1 theme park city?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowdawn

I'll go if and only if they come through on the promise to bring Dinosaurs back to life.

And yes I saw alot of footage from other parks (SeaWorld, Universal, etc.), Future.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
After watching the whole video I'm actually a lot LESS excited about Dubailand's prospects...the video was done so badly and everything is just so...fake, the names, the announcer they used...it almost seems like a joke except I know that the plans are real.

hokielutz

I'm not that excited about it.... It looks like the high prices of Oil are really being put to good use, eh??

I just don't think you can throw unlimited $$ at something and make it the best of the industry. Money helps... but original ideas that people buy into make a theme park experience great.

hokielutz

Here is another question.... what are the costs to operate this on a daily basis?? How are the costs to go to Dubailand compared to other theme park resort locations? Just throw out the build and startup costs.

Do they really turn a profit? Or because energy is virtually free for them, the park is less costly?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Here is another question.... what are the costs to operate this on a daily basis?? How are the costs to go to Dubailand compared to other theme park resort locations? Just throw out the build and startup costs.

Do they really turn a profit? Or because energy is virtually free for them, the park is less costly?

Who knows yet...they won't finish building it all until about 2018, by then it could be the biggest real estate/theme park bust in the history of the universe.

coachz

q: will dubai replace orlando...#1..? who cares if Orlando is ranked #2, and #1 is half-world away? different culture, just send money!

Merissa

I agree that with unlimited funding you have unlimited potential - but there's a difference between fake service and guest service. Disney just has a way of creating magic that can't be bought.

It does look amazing, but the video is just so overwhelming - almost like watching a promotional video for WDW, Universal Studios, and Sea World on steroids. I'm guessing all three gave their okay since clips/ideas were used from the various parks. Plus, isn't the background music in the beginning from Dinosaur and Atlantis?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It does look amazing, but the video is just so overwhelming - almost like watching a promotional video for WDW, Universal Studios, and Sea World on steroids. I'm guessing all three gave their okay since clips/ideas were used from the various parks. Plus, isn't the background music in the beginning from Dinosaur and Atlantis?

Actually I really doubt it, I also saw random clips from other things in there, including what appeared to be a clip of the Enterprise from Star Trek...:rolleyes:

I just don't see how you can invest more money than Allah :drevil: into this and come up with such a crappy video

echoreyn

After watching the whole video I'm actually a lot LESS excited about Dubailand's prospects...the video was done so badly and everything is just so...fake, the names, the announcer they used...it almost seems like a joke except I know that the plans are real.

Yeah, I've always wanted to visit Dubai, and the idea of Dubai making a theme park sounded interesting. However, after seeing that video, I don't feel the need to see that particular part of the country. It was just... too much! :dazzle: Also, it didn't even have a hint of the magic that makes Disney so amazing. And the money needed to build and then maintain project like this is unfathomable.

samshem

Watching that video has made it very clear that they really do not have a single original idea. Most every "world" that they have video of is as mentioned before, stock footage of the same thing done better somewhere else. The rest of it is CGI clips for stolen ideas that they could not find stock footage for.

It is a complete sham and most of what they showed will probably never become a reality, and if it does, it will just be a cheap imitation of the real thing. Also, unless they plan on making their "worlds" look verbatim to the stock footage they most likely illegally used, their promo video will have been nothing more than a bunch of deceitful propaganda.

I guess robbing the world blind can pay for gigantic pretty new buildings, but it can't buy you any creativity or an imagination. When they start trying to buy Disney Imagineers, then I will start to get worried.

Mimi

Dubailand?

I'm sorry but no matter what they had there I don't think I could call it anything other than Sinisterland.

I know I could be jailed just for eating there at certain times. So I just couldn't help but wonder... am I actually allowed to have fun here?? :lookaroun

Please tell me your kidding?!?!?!

This has got to be a joke, right? Will someone please check an atlas or something!!! Dubai is in the heart of the Persian Gulf, 25 short miles across the Straight of Hormuz from Iran. 25% of the population claims Iranian-persian heritage, another 55% Arab. Dubai is the second largest emirate within the United Arab Emirates. Although it is considered the most progressive nation in the region, it still abides by fundemental Islamic law. It may be all wine and roses now, but I wouldn't travel there as an American or "Westerner".
Most human rights organizations list it negatively and extreme Islamic Fundamentalists complain about it.
Mark the day and time of this post. It won't be long, a year or maybe 18 months before this place is in the news for all the wrong reasons. I hope I'm wrong, but the information and facts are there.

Here is the posting from the U.S. Department of State;

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Americans in the United Arab Emirates should exercise a high level of security awareness. The Department of State remains concerned about the possibility of terrorist attacks against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world. Americans should maintain a low profile, vary routes and times for all required travel, and treat mail and packages from unfamiliar sources with caution. In addition, U.S. citizens are urged to avoid contact with any suspicious, unfamiliar objects, and to report the presence of the objects to local authorities. U.S. Government personnel overseas have been advised to take the same precautions. In addition, U.S. Government facilities may temporarily close or suspend public services from time to time as necessary to review their security posture and ensure its adequacy.
Taking photographs of potentially-sensitive UAE military and civilian sites, or foreign diplomatic missions, including the U.S. Embassy, may result in arrest, detention and/or prosecution by local authorities. In addition, engaging in mapping activities, especially mapping which includes the use of GPS equipment, without coordination with UAE authorities, may have the same consequences.

On several occasions in the past three years, small groups of expatriate recreational boaters were detained by the Iranian Coast Guard for alleged violation of Iranian territorial waters while fishing near the island of Abu Musa, approximately 20 miles from Dubai. The UAE and Iran have had a long-standing dispute concerning jurisdiction of Abu Musa. Fishing or sailing in these waters may result in seizure of vessels and detention of passengers and crew in Iran. Obtaining consular assistance in Iran is difficult and can only be done through the Swiss Embassy in Tehran, which acts as a Protecting Power, providing limited U.S. consular services.

FaerieLuna

From the east coast of the U.S. it's at the minimum a 17 hour flight. No thanks. I love to fly, but 17 hours in a plane, I'll pass. The flights themselves are around $1100+ a piece. It's definitely more doable for Europeans.

It does indeed seem extreme, but I thought building a community of man made islands was unreal and they certainly pulled that off, twice. This will be a destination for the wealthy, which is basically who Dubai is going for anyway (with the Burj, the World, the Palm Islands, etc)

On a side note, I do have a dream to stay at the phenomenal Burj Al Arab someday, but I don't think I will ever be able to afford it or justify the expenditure. It is an amazingly beautiful hotel!!

TP2000

It is a complete sham and most of what they showed will probably never become a reality, and if it does, it will just be a cheap imitation of the real thing.

BINGO! You hit it right on the head.

Dubai and Dubailand will never amount to anything but a regional Six Flags park and some outlet malls in the desert. Hasn't anyone noticed that all of the most outrageous claims for Dubailand have never gotten past the press release stage? They've got some nice hotels to support the oil industry and some minor gimmicky tourist traps like that ski park in an air conditioned dome. But aside from that, Dubailand is just year after year of computer generated press releases for developments and theme parks that never seem to actually get built. Half this stuff was announced five years ago and was going to be open by now, but it has yet to break ground. What happened Dubai?

It's all just a mirage out there in the desert, and it will never amount to anything more than a regional Six Flags level theme park and some fancy outlet malls. Nevermind the scary part of the world it is in that will keep Americans and most Europeans far away.

Disneyfan1981

The Truth of the matter is that even if Dubailand makes WDW look like a county fair I'd probably never go and visit it. While it may or may not be a unneeded heightened sense of fear of being American in that region of the world that is enough to keep me away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom