Why Disney is better than Universal and other amusement parks...

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Interband does a annual listing of the Best Global Brands for the ad industry and Disney comes in at #14. If you want to check out where Universal or its parent company are on the list and let me know; here is the link: http://www.interbrand.com/en/best-global-brands/2013/Best-Global-Brands-2013-Brand-View.aspx

I'm not a huge fan of lists like that because there are a lot of brands that are just ingrained in the subconscious and its unfair to place them correctly. Like American Express over Visa, everyone has a Visa card, not everyone has an American Express because not everyone takes American Express.

Jimmy Thick- I carry an American Express Black myself...

Matt_Black

Interband does a annual listing of the Best Global Brands for the ad industry and Disney comes in at #14. If you want to check out where Universal or its parent company are on the list and let me know; here is the link: http://www.interbrand.com/en/best-global-brands/2013/Best-Global-Brands-2013-Brand-View.aspx

Yeah, because I know I definitely want to go to a theme park an meet the Apple Logo or the letters that make up "GOOGLE". "Here's a picture of me with the O! The yellow one!!!" :rolleyes:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Its a place where fairies can gather for mutual reassurance and exchange tales of magical days, good deeds done, and replenish the dust pouches before embarking on fresh adventure and happiness spreading.

Disneyhead'71

Yeah, because I know I definitely want to go to a theme park an meet the Apple Logo or the letters that make up "GOOGLE". "Here's a picture of me with the O! The yellow one!!!" :rolleyes:
o0pkxs.jpg

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

I have seen the love for the Disney brand everywhere I have traveled. I have lived in four counties other than the USA and can not count the number of counties I have visited and the point is that people around the world know and love the Disney brand. The movies have been doing great, ESPN is dominate in sports, Marvel is flying high and so many people worldwide want to go to a Disney Park. People vote with there money and their feet. So you can tell me all day that Universal is better than Disney, but the Disney Parks dominate the the market. Universal is doing much better due to Harry Potter and the upcoming Harry Potter expansion, but how long will that last with new Harry Potter books and movies.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
So you can tell me all day that Universal is better than Disney, but the Disney Parks dominate the the market. Universal is doing much better due to Harry Potter and the upcoming Harry Potter expansion, but how long will that last with new Harry Potter books and movies.

People seem to forget the same parks with Potter now, are the same parks that were pretty much an after thought before. Just because they were closer to a Six Flags then does not mean they have changed because of Potter, same product, different packaging.

Jimmy Thick- And WDW keeps chugging along, without competition.

Matt_Black

Except the Disney parks will always have a spot in the popular consciousness. People don't say, "I'm going to Universal Studios!" after a big win. Ric Flair doesn't compare himself to a ride at Islands of Adventure.

BryceM

Still will never understand the Six Flags comparison, but whatever.

The only things in IOA that resemble Six Flags is the area between Marvel and Toon (so tacky and a waste of space) and the on-ride portion of Dragon Challenge. Even the Hulk's ride experience is above any Six Flags coaster, due to its highly themed beginning and the way it interacts with Marvel Island and it's surroundings. Oh, and Dudley is very poor when it comes to interior show scenes. Blech.

Hi There, for me it's knowing I am in a safe environment, where everyone, well most everyone there is there for the same reason to have some good clean fun.
The look of each park and themeing of everything. They don't miss a beat there for sure.
I have been going for many many years and I will never get tired of going. I am always just as excited as the first time I've been there if not more excited.
I love the fact that you can just walk around and take it all in, or you can do some rides, it's all up to you.
I love the Extra Magic Hours, the parties. OK I just love it all and no one can compare to any Disney Park ever. (Can you tell I'm a huge Disney Fan???)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Disney's killer app is the magic. The magic you feel just driving from the airport, hitting the entrance, seeing DTD and the parks, getting to your resort. You can't buy that one of a kind feeling, that magic. You don't get it anywhere else because it can't be cultivated. Disney owns it. Others try, but don't get. Its simple, but it's different for each and every person in the World who go there.

I used to feel exactly like you do currently. It was the 1990's. I loved the Disney Magic throughout the resort, the massive builds happening throughout the property, everything was pristine and faults swiftly taken care of. Uni was then a 2nd rate theme park.

But in the new millenium Uni has stepped it up and fully funded their magic while Iger's focus for WDW has changed from magical white glove treatment to revenue based decisions. Nor is Iger's focus on magical attractions being built in a timely fashion. Iger would build another bus loop over funding the monorail improvements, that is Iger's idea of Magical.

Uni has a lock on that magical expansion market now building for guest satisfaction. Iger is focused on Magic Band revenue building and will slow attraction projects to fund the MME project, a revenue stream. Iger had zero interest in building FLE expansion in a timely fashion nor does Iger care about getting Avatar operational any time soon. Iger has no interest in returning DHS to the Magic delivered at one time in MGM. Uni on the other hand is building its customer loyalty by creating a superior transportation system for their resort guests that doesn't require a hour(s) of commuting time. Iger doesn't care about the Magic lost waiting for buses that are not prompt and are over crowded. Uni Parks are being updated with plenty of 21st century attractions, built with a forthwith timeline. It can be seen by the construction crews at Uni vs Disney.

There is nothing Magical about the direction Iger is directing WDW in the 21st century. Many fans are living off memories and nostalgia of the creativity and investments in WDW Parks that others before Iger built and Iger is neglecting. Neglect is not magical. Iger is magical to the board and the revenue stream of the corporation nothing more. Dwarf will open later obviously not timely and that is it. Nothing else vertical in the parks to look forward to, that is all cross town at Uni. What will come next is a bigger place to shop, eat and drink, nothing magical about that, I can do that at home. Springs is for the stockholders and board members. But I do remember the magical times of Disney, hold them in my heart and hope when Iger is gone they will return for my someday grandchildren. Right now I get that magical feeling when the towncar pulls up to the Portofino. Beautiful.
portofinobay-universal.jpg

Last edited:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe there are only 2 "night clubs" (Red Coconut and The Groove) in CityWalk. They have the best Karaoke bar ever (Rising Star), a dueling piano bar (Pat O'Brian's), Cigars, and what ever the heck Bob Marley's is on the Upper Deck. It is just that the whole vibe of CityWalk is electric!

I have just come to accept that Disney fans are "special". To them "partying" is eating their weight in ice cream while listening to the top 10 hits from 1929. "Oooooo, Party, Party!!!!!

Yeah, Pat O'Brien's is the ONLY one of those places I'd want to go.
And I really don't think you can say Disney fanboiz eat more than Uni fanboiz. That's an "everything" kind of thing. :)

Gabe1

The question I might have is if everyone is intelligent enough!

This post is a perfect example. Anytime there is a veiled insult attached, think like me or your are not intelligent the pot is stirred and you know you will be challenged. Look for it, it is right there.

PrincessNelly_NJ

If the OP wasn't intending on creating drama... why not just name the thread, "what Disney does better than universal and other theme parks?"

To say Disney is better or king is 100% opinion. Yes, Disney set the bar for theme parks but... just like Apple set the bar for smartphones, yet their competition is catching up or surpassing them... Universal is gaining ground fast!

I do believe Disney has a special magic that brings many of us back to our childhood. I find Disney's fireworks and show far better than anywhere else. I love the food selections and extra amenities found right on property.

However,
Rides at Disney may have stories but aren't nearly as thrilling as rides at Uni. Uni/IOA both offer great themed environments just as Disney does. And no, Uni isn't a week long vacation but neither is Disneyland....

Gabe1

I find that extremely hard to believe. You might have an argument with Winnie the Pooh, but Mickey is still far and away the most recognizable character in the theme park world. Maybe Bugs Bunny, who is contracted with Six Flags.

Jimmy Thick- Star Wars?

Mickey use to be the World Wide icon, not limited to theme parks. Now it is Ronald. Better marketing.

Gabe1

Huh. Because, when I went to see Frozen, the very first thing you saw was a Mickey Mouse short (and a very clever one at that!) Now, considering that Frozen has made close to $100 million so far since it came out on Wednesday, I'm betting quite a few people have been exposed to Mickey.

It all started with a Mouse right? With animation right? If Disney cared about marketing Mickey, don't you think he would have been the star or AoA? The most coveted rooms?

In your example Mickey is a short and Frozen is the main attraction correct? Did movie goers go to see the short or Frozen? Will the box office reports list what the Mickey short delivered in reveue or Frozen box office receipts.

I'm betting it is all about the Princess. Thinking she is moving into the Stave Church, not Mickey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom