Why Disney is better than Universal and other amusement parks...

Disneyhead'71

Best themed area anywhere bar none is World Showcase in Epcot. This is Disney at its best and the blue print of how to do theming right. I also find Boardwalk to be extremely charming and themed appropriate.

Jimmy Thick- Creating standards and taking names.
Which make it even sadder that two of the most egregious and inexcusable themeing faux pas are "Loomin' Over Canada" and Godzilla sized fish and swan about to attack The Eiffel Tower.

BryceM

Best themed area anywhere bar none is World Showcase in Epcot. This is Disney at its best and the blue print of how to do theming right. I also find Boardwalk to be extremely charming and themed appropriate.

Jimmy Thick- Creating standards and taking names.
I really enjoy World Showcase. I'm particularity fond of France, Norway, and Japan.

Brickcity Pauly

I'm not really a fan of the World Showcase. I never was, not even when I was a child. I always wanted to stay over at Future World. I think I may have even taken a trip to Epcot back in 2002 where we didn't even go to the World Showcase.

I much prefer Disney to Uni. Uni is good for me for 1-2 days, tops.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

I dunno about "bar none", but I would say it's the best Disney has to offer. And none of the "party" atmosphere of CityWalk can come close to the charm of Boardwalk.

Disneyhead'71

I dunno about "bar none", but I would say it's the best Disney has to offer. And none of the "party" atmosphere of CityWalk can come close to the charm of Boardwalk.
Or, none of the plastic manufactured "Charm" of the Boardwalk can compare to the vibrant energy of CityWalk.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
For me, it's about the offerings. I love the nighttime entertainment and charming atmosphere. I'm not a night club kind of guy, which really is CityWalk's thing.
Though I do do pretty much all my birthday and Christmas shopping at P!Q or however the heck it is spelled. And Cinnabon and TCBY...

Disneyhead'71

For me, it's about the offerings. I love the nighttime entertainment and charming atmosphere. I'm not a night club kind of guy, which really is CityWalk's thing.
Though I do do pretty much all my birthday and Christmas shopping at P!Q or however the heck it is spelled. And Cinnabon and TCBY...
If I'm not mistaken, I believe there are only 2 "night clubs" (Red Coconut and The Groove) in CityWalk. They have the best Karaoke bar ever (Rising Star), a dueling piano bar (Pat O'Brian's), Cigars, and what ever the heck Bob Marley's is on the Upper Deck. It is just that the whole vibe of CityWalk is electric!

I have just come to accept that Disney fans are "special". To them "partying" is eating their weight in ice cream while listening to the top 10 hits from 1929. "Oooooo, Party, Party!!!!!

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
For me, part of what makes Disney special is the characters. Mickey Mouse is hands down an icon, not just of pop culture, but culture in general. People who don't read comics or watch cartoons could STILL give you a pretty accurate description of who Mickey Mouse is and what he's about, which puts him on par with a rare select few fictional characters. .

And yet worldwide, Mickey is no longer the most recognizable icon character. WDW tucks Mickey away in little rooms and markets Princesses and Pirates, clouded with some Star Wars and the like. It may have started with Walt's mouse but the Mouse takes a backseat in marketing and many children in the world no longer relate to the Mouse or know much about him.

Today, worldwide the most recognizable character is said to be Ronald McDonald. Iger isn't a traditionalist and it is beginning to surface in recognizable icons vs flood marketing. One month it could be Brave, next Frozen, Tron, Monsters, more about marketing revenue under Iger than remembering who Mickey is. Mickey is safely tucked away at most parks. Where is the Mickey Mouse section at Art of Animation?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I find it amusing that you don't think you're paying for FP.
There may not be a straight-up charge for it, but, I guarantee you're paying for it, one way or the other.

It is the same way that guests believe DME is free. Like the cost of that experience isn't build into the resort room rate. We're paying for it if we use it or not.

Matt_Black

And yet worldwide, Mickey is no longer the most recognizable icon character. WDW tucks Mickey away in little rooms and markets Princesses and Pirates, clouded with some Star Wars and the like. It may have started with Walt's mouse but the Mouse takes a backseat in marketing and many children in the world no longer relate to the Mouse or know much about him.

Today, worldwide the most recognizable character is said to be Ronald McDonald. Iger isn't a traditionalist and it is beginning to surface in recognizable icons vs flood marketing. One month it could be Brave, next Frozen, Tron, Monsters, more about marketing revenue under Iger than remembering who Mickey is. Mickey is safely tucked away at most parks. Where is the Mickey Mouse section at Art of Animation?

Huh. Because, when I went to see Frozen, the very first thing you saw was a Mickey Mouse short (and a very clever one at that!) Now, considering that Frozen has made close to $100 million so far since it came out on Wednesday, I'm betting quite a few people have been exposed to Mickey.

Disneyhead'71

Huh. Because, when I went to see Frozen, the very first thing you saw was a Mickey Mouse short (and a very clever one at that!) Now, considering that Frozen has made close to $100 million so far since it came out on Wednesday, I'm betting quite a few people have been exposed to Mickey.
I....ummm...did you.....uhhhh.......speechless. Nevermind.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
And yet worldwide, Mickey is no longer the most recognizable icon character.

I find that extremely hard to believe. You might have an argument with Winnie the Pooh, but Mickey is still far and away the most recognizable character in the theme park world. Maybe Bugs Bunny, who is contracted with Six Flags.

Jimmy Thick- Star Wars?

Disneyhead'71

I find that extremely hard to believe. You might have an argument with Winnie the Pooh, but Mickey is still far and away the most recognizable character in the theme park world. Maybe Bugs Bunny, who is contracted with Six Flags.

Jimmy Thick- Star Wars?
Incredulous you are. Or is that incorrigible?

Matt_Black

And who is a bigger theme park mascot than Mickey Mouse? Who comes close?

Jimmy Thick- This should be good.

Nobody.

And, aside from the Frozen short, Mickey hasn't exactly been out of the public eye. He's been in both the Kingdom Hearts and Epic Mickey video game franchises, both of which have been very popular. There's the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. There are those new shorts on Disney Channel. And you see him at the start of every Disney animated production, be it a short or feature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom