What did you do?

Texas84

4.5 miles this AM. Felt great, no pain and would have been a really good pace for me but I had to stop for traffic three times. Funny, didn't sleep well last night because of allergies. Had no problems while running but soon as I got home all heck broke loose with the sneezing, etc. Does running do something to temporarily stop the allergy process? :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I am hesitant to be so bold, but...THE MACHINE is back baby! Well, about 90% there. I have a had a few great running days with good focus, long distance, steady and faster pace (still ultra-pace mode though, but have bumped it up to 7:30/min)), and somewhat pain-free.

70.31 miles this week, almost back up to my 80 mile/week. I won't let any of you down!

Side note: the guy I was running with at the ultra marathon (or rather, running BEHIND) had finished in 3rd place, completeing 100 miles in 17 hours. He did it last year in 15 hours. His brother just won Umstead 100 mile Ultra last night in an amazing 14 hours keeping a 7:15-7:30 min pace.
This is my goal...fast pace and 100 miles. NJ Ultra 100 miler 2012...sub 20 hrs...

Cheers everyone.

JillC LI

Absolutely not. If you know you only have 3 miles to run... I think you can let loose and burn it up.

I say NO music. Get caught up in 27 minutes of hype. Latch on to some one running a bit faster than you are comfortable with.

Look at me, telling a veteran what too do. You know you can do it Jill. Plenty of time to get that speed work and no music mantra down.

We all need a shove and some encouragement now and then. I've never tried to go that fast (for me) in any race before so I'm a bit scared to commit to wanting it and then not making it. There's also a bit of a bet riding on it as well which I didn't mention. Uh, I kinda bet my almost 12 year old son that I could beat him in the race this year. Last year he had to slow his pace for me to keep up. I am fairly sure that he will beat me regardless, but I at least want to make a good showing! :D Plus, if I had run the race in 9:05 pace last year, I would have placed in the top 3 of my age group. So I figure if I can manage it this year, maybe there's a chance I'll place in a race for the first time in my life. I know it's kinda silly, but it would be cool, right?

And absolutely no music. Maybe I'll just try to keep up with my son and find it in me to pass him at the end! We agreed, no holds barred! :lol:

JillC LI

Best 10k in actual race so far :) @ 57:29.

:D

Congrats! That's terrific!

4.5 miles this AM. Felt great, no pain and would have been a really good pace for me but I had to stop for traffic three times. Funny, didn't sleep well last night because of allergies. Had no problems while running but soon as I got home all heck broke loose with the sneezing, etc. Does running do something to temporarily stop the allergy process? :D

Actually running does put my allergies on hold. I can be going crazy with sniffling, sneezing and coughing from a post-nasal drip, and as soon as I get into a run, they're all gone. Unfortunately they come back afterwards. :(

fmingo36

I am hesitant to be so bold, but...THE MACHINE is back baby! Well, about 90% there. I have a had a few great running days with good focus, long distance, steady and faster pace (still ultra-pace mode though, but have bumped it up to 7:30/min)), and somewhat pain-free.

70.31 miles this week, almost back up to my 80 mile/week. I won't let any of you down!

Side note: the guy I was running with at the ultra marathon (or rather, running BEHIND) had finished in 3rd place, completeing 100 miles in 17 hours. He did it last year in 15 hours. His brother just won Umstead 100 mile Ultra last night in an amazing 14 hours keeping a 7:15-7:30 min pace.
This is my goal...fast pace and 100 miles. NJ Ultra 100 miler 2012...sub 20 hrs...

Cheers everyone.

Good to hear you are back to MACHINE status!

fmingo36

Nice! I really need to get into yoga...but I won't be carrying any yoga mats around.

Good luck with the open house.

Nick, the yoga really helps with the running.
Between the positions that loosen tight hips (I have tendonitis in one hip) or lower back, your focus on balance and the practice of controlled breathing, I think it is just as important in my training as getting those runs.

Check out Fit TV network, they have a yoga program on at least once a day. It's not great but it's a start.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
We all need a shove and some encouragement now and then. I've never tried to go that fast (for me) in any race before so I'm a bit scared to commit to wanting it and then not making it. There's also a bit of a bet riding on it as well which I didn't mention. Uh, I kinda bet my almost 12 year old son that I could beat him in the race this year. Last year he had to slow his pace for me to keep up. I am fairly sure that he will beat me regardless, but I at least want to make a good showing! :D Plus, if I had run the race in 9:05 pace last year, I would have placed in the top 3 of my age group. So I figure if I can manage it this year, maybe there's a chance I'll place in a race for the first time in my life. I know it's kinda silly, but it would be cool, right?

And absolutely no music. Maybe I'll just try to keep up with my son and find it in me to pass him at the end! We agreed, no holds barred! :lol:
Good luck and keep us posted as I know you will.

joel_maxwell

Talladega SuperSpeedway Half this morning. Perfect day. I was originally going to work on my desired 8:15-8:30 pace for Nashville, but, you only live once and this course is fast (pun intended). After about mile 6 I figured I go for a PB.

I did it. 1:42:15. Beat my best by 45 seconds and last years Talladega race by 2:30 minutes/seconds. So proud of the improvement in just one year.

My splits are a bit weird. When we ran under the track through the tunnel (basically a bunker), my Garmin lost signal for a few seconds. Then, running under the grandstands, it got a little messed up and added about 1/10th mile to mile 7 and took it off mile 8.

Splits:
1 7:18
2 7:29
3 7:34
4 7:39
5 8:09
6 7:48
7 8:56 (added time)
8 7:18 (time taken away)
9 8:05
10 7:49
11 7:55
12 8:05
13 7:44

Very proud of this one. It was fun. Following the race, my unlce's cousin ( :lookaroun ) runs the superspeedway so he gave me a behind the scenes tour of all the facilities. After that, we did 100mph around the track on 33 degree banked turns. It was awesome.

scorp111

Talladega SuperSpeedway Half this morning. Perfect day. I was originally going to work on my desired 8:15-8:30 pace for Nashville, but, you only live once and this course is fast (pun intended). After about mile 6 I figured I go for a PB.

I did it. 1:42:15. Beat my best by 45 seconds and last years Talladega race by 2:30 minutes/seconds. So proud of the improvement in just one year.

My splits are a bit weird. When we ran under the track through the tunnel (basically a bunker), my Garmin lost signal for a few seconds. Then, running under the grandstands, it got a little messed up and added about 1/10th mile to mile 7 and took it off mile 8.

Splits:

Very proud of this one. It was fun. Following the race, my unlce's cousin ( :lookaroun ) runs the superspeedway so he gave me a behind the scenes tour of all the facilities. After that, we did 100mph around the track on 33 degree banked turns. It was awesome.

Great race Joel!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Nick, the yoga really helps with the running.
Between the positions that loosen tight hips (I have tendonitis in one hip) or lower back, your focus on balance and the practice of controlled breathing, I think it is just as important in my training as getting those runs.

Check out Fit TV network, they have a yoga program on at least once a day. It's not great but it's a start.

Thanks Coryna! If I spit, I could hit 5 different Yoga places where I live...I'm gonna ask around town who's legit.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Splits:

Nice work buddy. Get any nice shiny SWAG at the finish line?

joel_maxwell

Great race Joel!
Thanks. It was a fun day.

Nice work buddy. Get any nice shiny SWAG at the finish line?
Thanks Nick. I really should have been disciplined and practiced my full pace, but you only live once.

Ill post pics of the bling and a few others afterwhile. The bling isnt anything to write home to mo about, but it is better than nothing.

Some stats:
Male 35-39 (14 of 97)
Gender overall (74 of 400)
Overall (93 of 891)

The funny thing I see in the stats, is I would have placed better, 10th of 40 runners in the age 25-29. Not that many representing in that age group. 12th of 64 in the 30-34 age bracket.

MCC1

Day off today after Cherry Blossom 10-Miler in DC yesterday...not too fast this year but a great race...perfect weather and organization...

JillC LI

Congratulations on the PR! That's very exciting. You can practice pacing yourself on a long training run. Why not go for a PR in a race if you feel you can.

Pretty cool about the superspeedway as well. I freaked out when my husband went over 80 on the autobahn in Germany.

fmingo36

Splits:

Way to go Joel!:sohappy:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
11.50miles this morning. Legs were feeling good, despite some muscle fatigue. The knee that has been giving me trouble acted up when I got home and started to put my running gear in the washing machine. It seems fine now...

NJ Marathon is coming up quick, May 1st, and some nice SWAG is expected. I was hoping to finish sub 03:45, but we'll see.

Mahlon Mayhem Ultra 100k, Aug 13th; might go for that.

6 hour midnight-sunrise ultramarathon might be coming up soon...

Gin today, but surely a strong 100+ IBU brew tomorrow...

Cheers everyone.

scorp111

Thanks. It was a fun day.

Thanks Nick. I really should have been disciplined and practiced my full pace, but you only live once.

Ill post pics of the bling and a few others afterwhile. The bling isnt anything to write home to mo about, but it is better than nothing.

Some stats:
Male 35-39 (14 of 97)
Gender overall (74 of 400)
Overall (93 of 891)

The funny thing I see in the stats, is I would have placed better, 10th of 40 runners in the age 25-29. Not that many representing in that age group. 12th of 64 in the 30-34 age bracket.

In my 10K Sunday, I was 50th in my age group. But the winner? 3 time Olympian Kevin Sullivan at 32:34 or something.... So almost twice as fast as me.

SleepingMonk

Run 400 meters
Row 500 meters
2 sled pulls
2 Prowler Pushes
Run 400 meters
Row 500 meters
2 sled pulls
2 Prowler Pushes

:hurl:

Hottest day so far this year, pushing 90 degrees....no fun....no fun at all.

joel_maxwell

Congrats, Joel. Great job! :king:
Thanks Doug. Next year you should drive up for it. Great cause and fun experience. It will be in the Fall next year.

Congratulations on the PR! That's very exciting. You can practice pacing yourself on a long training run. Why not go for a PR in a race if you feel you can.

Pretty cool about the superspeedway as well. I freaked out when my husband went over 80 on the autobahn in Germany.
The race has been moved to the fall next year so the lows would probably be about 70. Might as well go for the PR on this course while I can. There is a huge difference between 30-50 degrees, and a bigger difference between 50 and 70 degrees at 7am.

Way to go Joel!:sohappy:
Thanks!

In my 10K Sunday, I was 50th in my age group. But the winner? 3 time Olympian Kevin Sullivan at 32:34 or something.... So almost twice as fast as me.
When I was cruising past mile marker 8, the leader (the pace car was right in front of him) was on the backstretch approaching mile 12. His strides were double mine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom