What did you do?

JillC LI

If I am not too bad off I may start trying to run 3 miles EVERY MORNING.. is this crazy???

Not crazy, but I'd recommend taking at least one day off per week so you don't burn out. Plus variety makes running interesting - the same thing everyday might get boring.

9 Miles at 5am. My speedster status (as Dave and Nick say) is on hold till next winter. With this weather, I am toast. It is my kryptonite. It was only 63 this morning, but 92% humidity. It was soupy outside.

The humidity is always worse than the heat for me too. I HATE humidity. But you're still our resident speedster :)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Not crazy, but I'd recommend taking at least one day off per week so you don't burn out. Plus variety makes running interesting - the same thing everyday might get boring.

The humidity is always worse than the heat for me too. I HATE humidity. But you're still our resident speedster :)
:sohappy:

If we have a cold front coming in next week like predicted, ill get back to my normal ways.

MKCP 1985

Took care of a 5K this morning.. but it was tough.. I felt slow and sluggish.. really had to push myself to get through it.. did 3.2 in just over 31 mins.. 9.50 pace..

If I am not too bad off I may start trying to run 3 miles EVERY MORNING.. is this crazy???

Run Disney Facebook page had an article by Jeff Galloway about running after age 40 yesterday -
http://www.facebook.com/notes/run-disney/jeff-galloway-writes-about-running-after-40/209400265736961

Probably not a good idea to run 3 miles every day, but using that 30 minutes of time every day for a variety of exercises might be a great idea!

Phonedave

:sohappy:

If we have a cold front coming in next week like predicted, ill get back to my normal ways.

Come on up here - we had snow on the ground this morning. Not much, but it was sticking.

Having said that, this is fast becomming like an addiction

http://raceforum.com/registration/raceentrants.aspx?ID=4769

(David Dolch)

So now I have a 10k on Sunday. They are calling for a high of 45 and a low somewhere in the high 30's.

Motivation, that must be why I register for races - that or crazy.

-dave

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
10.05 mi this morning with lots o' pain in my right LCL and ankle. Needing to get back up to my daily 13 miles.

Heard from the race director of the ultra I ran on Saturday...they are giving me my 100 mile buckle as well, engraved with my name, DNF, 50 miles...and she told me to display it upside down...gotta laugh at myself...I DNF'd a 100 mile ultra...aint so bad. That little token will keep me going until next March.

Cheers.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
9 Miles at 5am. My speedster status (as Dave and Nick say) is on hold till next winter. With this weather, I am toast. It is my kryptonite. It was only 63 this morning, but 92% humidity. It was soupy outside.

I think this has caused a delay in my leg recovery. They dont feel fresh like they did during winter. Oh well. I fought through it and Im proud of that.

I also ran a local hilly course as I do weekly. 1256 feet ascended with a total of 567 feet of elevation change. That is a lot of hills.

Splits:
1 8:19
2 8:09
3 8:28
4 8:41
5 8:38
6 8:30
7 8:58 (Whole mile uphill of on up incline) Brutal
8 8:43
9 8:21
Total: 1:16:53

Im fine with the splits. Im really way over running my next 2 courses as in elevation and difficulty. I think that will benefit me if I can get my legs back under me and make them feel fresh.

Dude, your " "speedster status" is in good standing, no worries. I hope my "ROBO / machine" status is still good, seeing that I only completed 50/100 miles...your call...

Dave will never lose "Guru" status, unless he whacks his head and forgets how to run :D.

joel_maxwell

Come on up here - we had snow on the ground this morning. Not much, but it was sticking.

Having said that, this is fast becomming like an addiction

http://raceforum.com/registration/raceentrants.aspx?ID=4769

(David Dolch)

So now I have a 10k on Sunday. They are calling for a high of 45 and a low somewhere in the high 30's.

Motivation, that must be why I register for races - that or crazy.

-dave
Man has always been obsessed with speed.

Dude, your " "speedster status" is in good standing, no worries. I hope my "ROBO / machine" status is still good, seeing that I only completed 50/100 miles...your call...

Dave will never lose "Guru" status, unless he whacks his head and forgets how to run :D.
As long as no ones here locally runs more that 50 miles, you are in good standing as well. Oh, and as long as you are the Johnny Cash of running (wearing all black) you are good too.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Man has always been obsessed with speed.

As long as no ones here locally runs more that 50 miles, you are in good standing as well. Oh, and as long as you are the Johnny Cash of running (wearing all black) you are good too.

:ROFLOL:Yeah, my closet looks like a void. Color? What color?

Phonedave

Oh, and as long as you are the Johnny Cash of running (wearing all black) you are good too.

You should have seen him at the ultra.

If I had been there for the 4 AM start, all you would have seen was his shoes.

Black long sleeve shirt

Black head cover

Black long pants (with black gaiters)

oh, and white shoes.

I think Nick needs to find some black shoes.

-dave

scorp111

5.5 miles @ 9:38

Tired legs after the "speed" workout yesterday, so I told myself today was just a recovery run. This loop is pretty hilly though, so to keep my pace decent, I did have to work a little :lookaroun Happy with my splits, except the last half mile which is 100% uphill, and I just didn't have much left!

Beautiful morning for a run, and today is my last day of work this week :)3 Day weekend at WDW starts tonight :D

1 00:09:47 1.00
2 00:09:47 1.00
3 00:09:21 1.00
4 00:09:17 1.00
5 00:09:28 1.00
6 00:05:28 0.52

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
You should have seen him at the ultra.

If I had been there for the 4 AM start, all you would have seen was his shoes.

Black long sleeve shirt

Black head cover

Black long pants (with black gaiters)

oh, and white shoes.

I think Nick needs to find some black shoes.

-dave

HA! Salomon PRO 3D Ultra GTX trail shoes...picking 'em up this weekend as to complete my Johnny Cash-ness. People who know me think it's so strange to see me in white running shoes.

Dave's first words to me at the ultra, "Oh jeeze, look at you..."

joel_maxwell

HA! Salomon PRO 3D Ultra GTX trail shoes...picking 'em up this weekend as to complete my Johnny Cash-ness. People who know me think it's so strange to see me in white running shoes.

Dave's first words to me at the ultra, "Oh jeeze, look at you..."
I would have said, "Nick, you look killer... except those shoes. Those look like something my dad would wear." :lol:

fyn

Is it cool if a wannabe triathlete hangs with this crowd? If I can post my "What did I do" here I promise it'll have some running. :lol:

JillC LI

Is it cool if a wannabe triathlete hangs with this crowd? If I can post my "What did I do" here I promise it'll have some running. :lol:

Welcome a-board! (pun intended) So what triathalon are you training for/considering? I'd definitely love to hear about training for a tri, just as I loved hearing about Nick (Donald Duck) training for an ultra. These are things I will not do myself (the tri because I despise swimming) so it is neat to read about other people's experiences firsthand.

Phonedave

Welcome a-board! (pun intended) So what triathalon are you training for/considering? I'd definitely love to hear about training for a tri, just as I loved hearing about Nick (Donald Duck) training for an ultra. These are things I will not do myself (the tri because I despise swimming) so it is neat to read about other people's experiences firsthand.

Same boat (so to speak) as me.

I would love to do a tri, but I sink like a rock.

I love to swim, but I know doing any sort of tri swim would be a real effort. Unless it was an ocean swim, that is an option. It's not the swimming that is a problem, as much as it is the inability to breathe underwater that is a problem for me.

-dave

JillC LI

It's not the swimming that is a problem, as much as it is the inability to breathe underwater that is a problem for me.

-dave

LOL, I actually used to be quite a good swimmer but as my eyesight got worse when I was younger, my enjoyment of swimming declined as well. When the kids at camp started yelling at me for not staying in my lane because I could no longer even see the black line on the bottom of the pool, I lost interest altogether! I suppose I could get prescription goggles nowadays, but I have no interest in swimming anymore.

fyn

Same boat (so to speak) as me.

I would love to do a tri, but I sink like a rock.

I love to swim, but I know doing any sort of tri swim would be a real effort. Unless it was an ocean swim, that is an option. It's not the swimming that is a problem, as much as it is the inability to breathe underwater that is a problem for me.

-dave

Honestly? I have an (unfair?) advantage for tris. I was a D1 NCAA swimmer up until graduation 6.5 years ago. A normal workout for me, even in my more 'rotund' shape, is still 2-3 miles.

Running on the other hand - ugh. I'm not even new to running! All through college we'd run 2 miles every other morning before workouts, and nowadays I play soccer regularly. For whatever reason, running more than half a mile is miserable, and it's usually because of pain in my inner shins. Maybe it's my shoes (they're new-ish ASICS).

Anyway - this past Monday I ran 1.78 miles @ 10.21 min/mile avg. I was sore from soccer on Saturday, and it felt like my feet were falling pretty heavily, and I didn't fall into a good rhythm. I was also disappointed with the distance. I'd driven the route, and thought it was a solid 2 miles, but my runKeeper app disagreed. My goal is to get up to 3 miles as a normal distance.

My Tri routine (I'm resetting a bit) will look like this:

Mon-Wed-Fri - 3 mile run
Tue-Thur-Sat-Sun - 5,000 yard swim (pool for now)
Everyday - P90X

I haven't worked biking into the mix yet. I also play outdoor soccer a couple times a week, but I'm choosing not to view those as workouts. This may look aggressive (and if it doesn't, I bow down), but I've tried less structured routines and they don't work for me.

As for races? My ultimate goal is to do the WDW 70.2 Triathlon. It won't happen this year, but I'm shooting for next year. In the mean time I need to figure out when the heck Tri's start in the Pacific Northwest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom