What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I like the prayer flags above the stove.

Oh... we are supposedly looking at your vest. The vest looks cool Nick. Thanks for the review. :wave: Glad you like it.

Oh man, you missed the Donald Duck cookie jar in the background...which, oddly enough, is filled with my wife's cookies. That's gonna change.

Yeah the vest rocks. I'm just really surprised at how light it is and that I don't feel it at all. It took some getting used to...like 100 ft out of my driveway and I was sold.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Vulcan Run this am. It was cold as crap. It was about 31 at start. That isnt too cold, but this is the first this season that I have run in the 30's and I havent gotten use to that.

47:35 Unofficial time. 7:39 pace through 1/3 flat, 1/3 hills and 1/3 downhill.

I am happy with that for sure. I really felt like I was running slow for the first 3 miles. A lot of people were blowing past me and that was the most challenging thing not to get discouraged or change my pace. I ended up seeing a lot of those people walking on the side, or strugglin the last 2 miles.

I will say that I had the worst shin pain in both shins from mile 2-5. It was worse than it has been ever. I think it might have been a combo of my normal shin pain that seems to only last 1 mile (and it isnt that bad), the 31 degree weather plus the 30 minutes I had to stand in that weather with no protection from it. I didnt have anyone there to ditch my clothes or extra layers too.

I hope this is just a thing I have to get use to in the next few weeks, but Ill say that at mile 4 when I stopped for a 15-20 second water intake break, it felt like my shoes were glued to big flat pieces of wood and I couldnt bend them forwards or backwards due to my shin/calves locked up. Totally freaked me out. I guess we will see, but damn, I hope it isnt my shoes that I have had for 80-100 miles and about 1.5 months. :shrug:

Thoughts?

joel_maxwell

Oh man, you missed the Donald Duck cookie jar in the background...which, oddly enough, is filled with my wife's cookies. That's gonna change.

Yeah the vest rocks. I'm just really surprised at how light it is and that I don't feel it at all. It took some getting used to...like 100 ft out of my driveway and I was sold.
I might have to try that next summer.

Oh, DD cookie jar? Killer!

Erin_Akey

Ran my first ever official 10k today. The Wells Fargo Senior Bowl Charity run. It was my first longer run in the cold too. I think we did pretty good considering we have only run a couple of time int he last two weeks. We finished in 1:28:27.

I am hoping after my minor surgery this Friday, i can really get into the swing of my training again! I learned a few things though about the cold.
1. I need some gloves
2. I need a headband type ear gizmo
3. i don't really need much water.....I think i took two sips at two stations and that was plenty.
4. I need to get a jacket I can ditch in Disney because by mile marker 1 it was tied around my waist and driving me nuts!!!!!

fmingo36

Did a 9 miles today. Felt great till 8.7 miles into and then out of nowhere it felt like someone stabbed my knee with a knife. Luckily I was so close to home and was able to push myself the last couple of feet.

Wilt Dasney

Did a 9 miles today. Felt great till 8.7 miles into and then out of nowhere it felt like someone stabbed my knee with a knife. Luckily I was so close to home and was able to push myself the last couple of feet.
Funny...I did 10 earlier, and right around 9.8 my right knee just flared up to the point it was hard to keep stride. It just came out of nowhere. Thankfully it only lasted a few steps. Hope yours is nothing serious!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Vulcan Run this am. It was cold as crap. It was about 31 at start. That isnt too cold, but this is the first this season that I have run in the 30's and I havent gotten use to that.

I am happy with that for sure. I really felt like I was running slow for the first 3 miles. A lot of people were blowing past me and that was the most challenging thing not to get discouraged or change my pace. I ended up seeing a lot of those people walking on the side, or strugglin the last 2 miles.

I will say that I had the worst shin pain in both shins from mile 2-5. It was worse than it has been ever. I think it might have been a combo of my normal shin pain that seems to only last 1 mile (and it isnt that bad), the 31 degree weather plus the 30 minutes I had to stand in that weather with no protection from it. I didnt have anyone there to ditch my clothes or extra layers too.

I hope this is just a thing I have to get use to in the next few weeks, but Ill say that at mile 4 when I stopped for a 15-20 second water intake break, it felt like my shoes were glued to big flat pieces of wood and I couldnt bend them forwards or backwards due to my shin/calves locked up. Totally freaked me out. I guess we will see, but damn, I hope it isnt my shoes that I have had for 80-100 miles and about 1.5 months. :shrug:

Thoughts?

Sorry to hear about the shin troubles. With my Saucony Omni 8s, it actually takes about 150-170 miles for me to break them in. I;m not sure if it's because the shoe has so much support or if it's just my sensative feet. So, don't rule out your shoes being the issue. But, could also be the temp, or just one of those things. Hope it all clears up.

joel_maxwell

[/B]

Sorry to hear about the shin troubles. With my Saucony Omni 8s, it actually takes about 150-170 miles for me to break them in. I;m not sure if it's because the shoe has so much support or if it's just my sensative feet. So, don't rule out your shoes being the issue. But, could also be the temp, or just one of those things. Hope it all clears up.
Morning All.

Nick, I have read so much on the issue, that one source says that front shin muscle problem is due to a non stretched calf (or a tight calf). Obviously, there is other reasons etc like over use, shoes etc. Interestingly, my calves are really sore this morning. Possibly due to them having to work over time since the front shins were locked up or visa versa. I have seen 2-3 exercises that strengthens the shins muscles and I should probably do some calf stretches and strengthening daily.

I think yesterday really might have been the weather and basically starting cold without stretching due to the 30 minute wait. Im not going to panic. I have loved these shoes up until yesterday. We will see.

Im going to get some nice compression tights today. You wear them and if so, do you like them?

Phonedave

So, what did I do?

I went and played paintball yesterday (yeah, you can see this is not going to be good right from the get go)

I was running (would I be doing anything else) through the woods trying to make some cover, when my right arch hit a 4" diamater wet, bark free, log that my foot then rode sideways like a rail.

I went down in a giant pile (It did't help that I was taking fire at the time, so I was not entirely concentrating on where my legs were when I fell)

Long story short, I have no idea what I did to my right knee. Forget the plan to run 16 miles today - I can't run 16 feet right now.

I am really hoping that I just smacked the interior side of my knee on the log and banged it up. There really is no problem with it bearing weight, but any sort of lateral movement, like twisting, brings a whole new world of pain. It is all on the SIDE of my knee, and near the surface (or so it feels) not deep, or under the kneecap, so I have hope.

1/2 Marathon in exactly 4 weeks, then the WDW full on Jan 9 - I have some wonderful timing

-dave

Wilt Dasney

What a rotten time for an injury, Dave. Hope it resolves itself pretty quickly.

I've had some lingering pain in my right leg the past week or 2, that starts out most severe when I first plant it upon standing, subsides into a dull ache while I walk, and then tends to just go away entirely a mile or so into my runs. It hasn't been that bad, but it can be annoying, especially at the beginning of a run.

Anyway, I did some research (i.e., Google) and a pulled quad seems most consistent. So I've been taking ibuprofen, wrapping it in icy towels, and focusing more on stretches to that part of the leg. It seems to be working. Not 100% gone, but it has gotten better the last few days.

fmingo36

So, what did I do?

I went and played paintball yesterday (yeah, you can see this is not going to be good right from the get go)

I was running (would I be doing anything else) through the woods trying to make some cover, when my right arch hit a 4" diamater wet, bark free, log that my foot then rode sideways like a rail.

I went down in a giant pile (It did't help that I was taking fire at the time, so I was not entirely concentrating on where my legs were when I fell)

Long story short, I have no idea what I did to my right knee. Forget the plan to run 16 miles today - I can't run 16 feet right now.

I am really hoping that I just smacked the interior side of my knee on the log and banged it up. There really is no problem with it bearing weight, but any sort of lateral movement, like twisting, brings a whole new world of pain. It is all on the SIDE of my knee, and near the surface (or so it feels) not deep, or under the kneecap, so I have hope.

1/2 Marathon in exactly 4 weeks, then the WDW full on Jan 9 - I have some wonderful timing

-dave

OH NO! That sucks! I hope you are feeling better today.

joel_maxwell

So, what did I do?

-dave
That sucks Dave. Hopefully, it is just a nasty bruise or local trauma and you will be back in a day or so. Keep us updated. :wave:

Texas84

4.6 miles this morning, coldest run so far at about 42 degrees. My ankles really hate the cold. They finally warmed up after mile 3. Then went and played 18 holes in the afternoon. Shot an 84 and my left heel is killing me right now.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Morning All.

Nick, I have read so much on the issue, that one source says that front shin muscle problem is due to a non stretched calf (or a tight calf). Obviously, there is other reasons etc like over use, shoes etc. Interestingly, my calves are really sore this morning. Possibly due to them having to work over time since the front shins were locked up or visa versa. I have seen 2-3 exercises that strengthens the shins muscles and I should probably do some calf stretches and strengthening daily.

I think yesterday really might have been the weather and basically starting cold without stretching due to the 30 minute wait. Im not going to panic. I have loved these shoes up until yesterday. We will see.

Im going to get some nice compression tights today. You wear them and if so, do you like them?

Hey Joel, I have compression tights, but not the isolated calf compression. I wanted to pick some up for the JS Half I just did but didn't get a chance to hit the store. Try 'em out. I have had people tell me they make their legs feel "springy" and "fresh"...like a bath soap :lookaroun

joel_maxwell

Hey Joel, I have compression tights, but not the isolated calf compression. I wanted to pick some up for the JS Half I just did but didn't get a chance to hit the store. Try 'em out. I have had people tell me they make their legs feel "springy" and "fresh"...like a bath soap :lookaroun
I have some tights from way back when (high school football) that are just tights.... they really dont have too much compression left in them. Back then (90-94) compression wasnt the hot thing. They were just for warmth. They do a good job. Ill just have to decide if I want to experiment with the extra $50 bones.

I dont think it gets cold enough around here to get the "Ultra-Warm" nike compression tights. I would probably die of heat on my legs.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I have some tights from way back when (high school football) that are just tights.... they really dont have too much compression left in them. Back then (90-94) compression wasnt the hot thing. They were just for warmth. They do a good job. Ill just have to decide if I want to experiment with the extra $50 bones.

I dont think it gets cold enough around here to get the "Ultra-Warm" nike compression tights. I would probably die of heat on my legs.

They're worth a shot I suppose. They work in the same fashion as those socks for diabetics; increasing blood flow more efficiently to the legs.

People have been asking me what I want for my bday...i keep telling them gift cards to RRS :D, because it is mad cold here in the early mornings and I gotta get some warmer stuff!

joel_maxwell

They're worth a shot I suppose. They work in the same fashion as those socks for diabetics; increasing blood flow more efficiently to the legs.

People have been asking me what I want for my bday...i keep telling them gift cards to RRS :D, because it is mad cold here in the early mornings and I gotta get some warmer stuff!
There is a world of difference between NJ and AL.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
There is a world of difference between NJ and AL.

You got that right, and it's not just the climate!

Anyway, 67.04 miles last week, with a rest day yesterday. Somewhat disappointed because I am trying to keep my mileage above 75. Time plays a factor, so I guess I have to start running much earlier than I do. I'd like to keep it at a min 90mi a week through December, taper slightly for the WDW Half in January, go back to 90-100 through end of January-Feb, and taper off for the ultra in March. It sounds easy typing this, but, damn. :hurl:

Blueliner

Thoughts?

Congratulations! That's a great time on a tricky course. I wish I could have run it, but some family obligations got in the way this go-round.

I hate to hear about the shins. Sometimes when I taper for a race I lose a little bit of my "normal" running form. When I get to the starting line, it takes a while to get into my normal form because I'm all keyed up about racing, running in a crowd, etc. I wonder if that was part of it. At least with the 26.2 you have a little more time/distance to settle in to your race. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom