What did you do?

imagination30

Beautiful Park run this afternoon of 4.34 with a pace of 9:26 ,
i found why i dont run at our local park any more ... its bc walkers that walk three brested wide so you cant pass them.. I had to go out of my way to get around them.. , but Im so ready for friday to get here so i can head to Nashville! / then chugged a small bottle of choclate milk!

Mr mom

We ran the Oshkosh, WI 1/2 Marathon today. The temp was in the low to mid 30's for the entire race, and it was windy as heck. We went out strong, and were 5-7 minutes ahead of our goal for the race. Fast, but not so fast as it caused concern. About Mile 6, my wife pulled up and said that something in her right knee really hurt. She's had IT band problems as long as we've run, and I wasn't sure if they were acting up again, or if this was a new injury. We walked for awhile, and I asked her if she wanted to leave the course. She gave me an "I don't know."

Now, she's had the IT bands act up during races before, but she always gives me a "I'll be ok", or "Let's try and work through it" answer. If she was debating leaving the course, I knew she was in trouble. I told her I'd take it slow with her, and stick with her as long as she was on the course, and help her to finish. Despite several attempts by her to push me out on my own, I wasn't going to leave my injured wife behind...even though last year I set a PR at this race.

The problem with taking it slower was that it allowed the elements to come into play. We got cold quickly, which wrecked both of our attitudes. We finished about 30 minutes behind our goal pace, but my wife refused to wear the medal, feeling as if she hadn't earned it.

We leave for Disney next week, so her instructions are to take it easy, and heal up for our trip.

There is always another race, and I've seen her run to prove a point before, so I'm sure the next race she'll tear up the course.

I hear ya, my wife is constantly telling me to ease up a bit. we leave for florida in less than two weeks and even my father in law is telling me to not injure myself as they are counting on me as a runner for any ticket/fastpass line ups etc, lol.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
We ran the Oshkosh, WI 1/2 Marathon today. The temp was in the low to mid 30's for the entire race, and it was windy as heck. We went out strong, and were 5-7 minutes ahead of our goal for the race. Fast, but not so fast as it caused concern. About Mile 6, my wife pulled up and said that something in her right knee really hurt. She's had IT band problems as long as we've run, and I wasn't sure if they were acting up again, or if this was a new injury. We walked for awhile, and I asked her if she wanted to leave the course. She gave me an "I don't know."

Now, she's had the IT bands act up during races before, but she always gives me a "I'll be ok", or "Let's try and work through it" answer. If she was debating leaving the course, I knew she was in trouble. I told her I'd take it slow with her, and stick with her as long as she was on the course, and help her to finish. Despite several attempts by her to push me out on my own, I wasn't going to leave my injured wife behind...even though last year I set a PR at this race.

The problem with taking it slower was that it allowed the elements to come into play. We got cold quickly, which wrecked both of our attitudes. We finished about 30 minutes behind our goal pace, but my wife refused to wear the medal, feeling as if she hadn't earned it.

We leave for Disney next week, so her instructions are to take it easy, and heal up for our trip.

There is always another race, and I've seen her run to prove a point before, so I'm sure the next race she'll tear up the course.
Way to stay with her Brad. There will always be another race, always another PR, but leaving her I have a feeling she might not have finished and left the course. The race didnt go either one of yours way, it happens (been there done that too), but she did legally finish, so she should be proud for at least finishing with injury. I hate injuries, but they are part of our sport. Chin up Mrs. Knoll.

Ha, that's a regular week lol.

Shooting for 200+ miles in 5 days.
Nice job Brother!

dreamfinder

Sat was a 5k race, first race since Marathon weekend. Ended up doing 20:35ish. Mats missed my finish time, so thats about what my Garmin had me at. Not bad considering I haven't done any real 5k training in eons. Course was hillier than I expected, and even though it went in 3 different directions, it seemed like every up hill was into the wind. Not a bad race. My DW set a new PR which was awesome. It was like $30 to register, nice shirt, free ticket to minor league baseball game, a ton of free food (from sponsors so pizza, breakfast sandwiches, yogurt, ice teas etc) plus, a beer tent with free beer......... Not just one mind you, but all you wanted.

Sun was 14mi at 7:47 pace on the TM. A little stiff today as it was more than I had been doing and at a faster pace, but there is a little part of my head that is telling me to try to kick it up to hit a late summer marathon to qualify for Boston. Highly unlikely to happen, but thought I'd give it a few weeks at that training level to see if my body was going to be game or not.

joel_maxwell

12 miles on the trails Sunday morning. Mentally focused and didnt trip or stumble on any pesky tree roots, stumps or rocks. Yeah team ankles.

3 miles this morning on road. I wanted to hit the Greenway again for a 4 mile out and back, but decided to do that Wednesday and make it a potential 8 mile run.

Happy Monday

JillC LI

Beautiful Park run this afternoon of 4.34 with a pace of 9:26. i found why i dont run at our local park any more ... its bc walkers that walk three brested wide so you cant pass them.. I had to go out of my way to get around them.. , but Im so ready for friday to get here so i can head to Nashville! / then chugged a small bottle of choclate milk!

There is nothing that drives me crazier than a bunch of walkers hogging the entire sidewalk as you are running towards them. They see you coming and refuse to get single file as if they own the sidewalk. I refuse to move nowadays, and actually play chicken until they either move last second or I literally shove the person on the end of the sidewalk as I run past and don't say sorry. Is that awful?

Brad, sorry about your wife's injury, but I "Liked" your post because of what a good husband you were for sticking with her.

Nick, good luck with 200 this week. That's more than 10x what I plan to do! LOL

Go team ankles!

Sat was a 5k race, first race since Marathon weekend. Ended up doing 20:35ish. Mats missed my finish time, so thats about what my Garmin had me at. Not bad considering I haven't done any real 5k training in eons. Course was hillier than I expected, and even though it went in 3 different directions, it seemed like every up hill was into the wind. Not a bad race. My DW set a new PR which was awesome. It was like $30 to register, nice shirt, free ticket to minor league baseball game, a ton of free food (from sponsors so pizza, breakfast sandwiches, yogurt, ice teas etc) plus, a beer tent with free beer......... Not just one mind you, but all you wanted.

Sun was 14mi at 7:47 pace on the TM. A little stiff today as it was more than I had been doing and at a faster pace, but there is a little part of my head that is telling me to try to kick it up to hit a late summer marathon to qualify for Boston. Highly unlikely to happen, but thought I'd give it a few weeks at that training level to see if my body was going to be game or not.

Nice all around!

great start to the week, 16.2 miles in 2.09

Need a thumbs up emoticon!

joel_maxwell

great start to the week, 16.2 miles in 2.09
Solid 8 min pace. Nice work.
There is nothing that drives me crazier than a bunch of walkers hogging the entire sidewalk as you are running towards them.
Nothing use to P me off more than when Id run in this section of Bham (when I lived at my old house) and on Saturday mornings Id pass The Birmingham Track Club meeting up in highlands. Most are pretentious pricks, and they would all cluster in this one spot, stand around, stretch and pad their egos. So here I come, running down the side walk because in this section of town, the street was way to dangerous to be on, and Id get up to them and non of them would even move off the sidewalk into the short grass area to let me pass. Id have to duck off into the grass which dropped off 10-20 feet into a park. I was most likely between mile 10 and 20 at the time, and would not be in the mood for this. Go pat yourself on the back for your 1 mile fun run on the grass please.

That is why i have never joined their "club".

Im in "Club Joel" and in the Birmingham Ultra Trail Society (where egos are at a bare minimum)

Mr mom

Solid 8 min pace. Nice work.
Nothing use to P me off more than when Id run in this section of Bham (when I lived at my old house) and on Saturday mornings Id pass The Birmingham Track Club meeting up in highlands. Most are pretentious pricks, and they would all cluster in this one spot, stand around, stretch and pad their egos. So here I come, running down the side walk because in this section of town, the street was way to dangerous to be on, and Id get up to them and non of them would even move off the sidewalk into the short grass area to let me pass. Id have to duck off into the grass which dropped off 10-20 feet into a park. I was most likely between mile 10 and 20 at the time, and would not be in the mood for this. Go pat yourself on the back for your 1 mile fun run on the grass please.

That is why i have never joined their "club".

Im in "Club Joel" and in the Birmingham Ultra Trail Society (where egos are at a bare minimum)

Folks in my area are pretty good, only once or twice have I ever had to step aside etc in order to get by anyone. mind you there was that bobcat plow that darn near hit me this past winter.

joel_maxwell

Solid 25 miles on the trails this morning.

Not sure where in hell this cold wind came from.

Ramping it up...
Nice miles. Hope the focus is getting more.... focused. ;)

Folks in my area are pretty good, only once or twice have I ever had to step aside etc in order to get by anyone. mind you there was that bobcat plow that darn near hit me this past winter.
For the most part they are good here too and of course I know the bad seed in every bunch rule. I just get really frustrated when "that person", in any facets of life, thinks they are far superior to everyone else, when in fact, they are sometimes the weakest link.

There are 2 communities here in Birmingham that are very well to do. Very rich, and they are surrounded by commoner communities. Lower crust, better known as the middle class. LOL. You would just have to see it to understand. I hate associating all BTC members with this, because I actually know a lot of them and they are wonderful people, but those few really spoil the image from 1,000 feet.

Whatever. Enough on that topic.

a2grafix

Ran 3.5 miles Saturday night and then followed it up with a Runners for Boston 5K fun run through East Memphis Monday evening with some 200 of my new friends. Some of the runners ran previous Boston Marathons (2007, 2010, 2011, and 2013) and one ran last week. She finished under 4 hours but was saying that the bombs struck while she was getting post-race food and stuff.

About to embark on my Disneyland Half training program, which starts next week!

JillC LI

"Like."

As for me, 4 miles on TM this morning at 9:48 pace. Felt easy.

Just saw this article - very sad. I was more surprised by the number of people who went to the hospital from the race total than I was by the one death, awful as that was. I mean you expect some cuts and bruises from a Tough Mudder, but not for 20 people to wind up in the hospital.
http://www.runnersworld.com/races/man-dies-after-tough-mudder-race

joel_maxwell

Just to clarify a little more, I would love running with a small group every now and then. Maybe 2-3 times a month. However, I do this for me, my mental health, physical health (which i laugh at since Im always banged up) and setting goals. I do not run as a social outlet, but after the fact, when the shoes come off and Im showered up, I like to come in here and talk to you fine folks. I like our community.

As for me, 4 miles on TM this morning at 9:48 pace. Felt easy.
That a girl.

Just saw this article - very sad. I was more surprised by the number of people who went to the hospital from the race total than I was by the one death, awful as that was. I mean you expect some cuts and bruises from a Tough Mudder, but not for 20 people to wind up in the hospital.
http://www.runnersworld.com/races/man-dies-after-tough-mudder-race
Ive never been a big fan of these. I dont judge people for doing them. Id rather people be active then sit on the couch. I have my reasons which don't matter really, but if the obstacles are going to increase in difficultly, because we all know each year the shock value has to increase, new requirements might have to be taken to ensure safety. Playing devils advocate though, it is the participants choice and responsibility to go do it and to know if they are in shape or healthy enough.

So, my stance is that Tough Mudder better be careful because if they begin a trend of people getting hurt, in the country we live in, they will unfortunately be responsible even though the fine print that the participant signed says they are not.

Texas84

So, my stance is that Tough Mudder better be careful because if they begin a trend of people getting hurt, in the country we live in, they will unfortunately be responsible even though the fine print that the participant signed says they are not.

I worry about that happening during the first Dopey. You know a lot of people are just going to show up and do four days without adequate training.

GoofyRacer11

I worry about that happening during the first Dopey. You know a lot of people are just going to show up and do four days without adequate training.
Not me! My motto is "respect the mileage"! If you don't then your setting yourself up for injuries.

Yesterday I ran 5 miles at 7:30/mile pace. Today I completed the following CrossFit WOD:

18 minute AMRAP (as many rounds as possible)

5 Wallballs
4 Deadlifts
4 Dips
5 Box Jump

My next official race will be the Cleveland Half Marathon in about 3 weeks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom