What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Great job!
Thanks

Nice work! I loved that feeling of each run being the longest run ever.
Me too. I have gone as far as 14 yet so Im glad I got that milestone over with. i will say that when I was entering my neighborhood, I knew where the 13.1 marker was to lap my watch and I almost stopped there. Once there, I just shrugged and thought I had come this far, what is another 9/10's of a mile.

I was thinking when all that was over, and I think you recall my route I sent you via email last week, that when training for the Full in February, there is one run where I would have to run that route 2 times. Hello mental beat down. :lol:

MKCP 1985

Hit the treadmill yesterday for the long run - kicked it up to 2 hours from 90 minutes. The intent was just to run for 2 hours, not worrying about time or distance. Ended up at 11 miles and feeling good, so I feel my training for Goofy is right on track.

Phonedave

Wall of Pain at Tae Kwon Do tonight. (That is what my instructor calls it)

Stand against the wall and have your 'buddy' lift your leg up by the ankle as high as it will go and hold it there.

Training for the 1/2 and then subsequent full in January has made my hamstrings uber-tight. I no likes it.

-dave

WishIwasThere

I did a five mile run last night...wanted to do more...but nature called. Did it at a much quicker pace. Wonder if it is due to the weather getting cooler. Wife says that's the reason...anyone else have a theory?

DisneyRunner

I believe cooler weather can impact running, for the better. I was going to go to the YMCA this morning, as is my routine to include the strength training in my workout, but at the last minute I decide to take advantage of the warm weather and run outside. I did approximately five miles. I will have to drive my car around to check the mileage on part of the course. Tomorrow rain is forecast, so I will do strength training then.

Phonedave

I did a five mile run last night...wanted to do more...but nature called. Did it at a much quicker pace. Wonder if it is due to the weather getting cooler. Wife says that's the reason...anyone else have a theory?

Maybe it was the impending call of nature that quckened your pace. :)

Serously though, colder weather most assuredly improves your results. In addition to the overheating / core temp issues, colder air is denser, it carries more oxgen in it. For a given lung capacity, your VO2 max goes up as the temp drops. Higer VO2 max means more ATP avaialbility, which which means greater aerobic burn in your muscles yadda yadda yadda, which means you can run faster.

(Once warmed up, Naturaly Aspirated cars run better in the cold too. That's why turbos have an intercooler)

-dave

joel_maxwell

Maybe it was the impending call of nature that quckened your pace. :)

Serously though, colder weather most assuredly improves your results. In addition to the overheating / core temp issues, colder air is denser, it carries more oxgen in it. For a given lung capacity, your VO2 max goes up as the temp drops. Higer VO2 max means more ATP avaialbility, which which means greater aerobic burn in your muscles yadda yadda yadda, which means you can run faster.

(Once warmed up, Naturaly Aspirated cars run better in the cold too. That's why turbos have an intercooler)

-dave
You can tell when it gets colder around here too since I live near Birmingham flight path (take off, approach). The planes are pretty high, BUT, they are much much louder in the winter time and the sound carries longer.

Phonedave

You can tell when it gets colder around here too since I live near Birmingham flight path (take off, approach). The planes are pretty high, BUT, they are much much louder in the winter time and the sound carries longer.

That less to do with engine efficiency and more to do with air density. In colder air you can get away with a shorter runway. (and sound travels further) Also, if your trees loose leaves, that has a LOT to do with perceived sound levels as well.

Same thing goes elevation. If you are taking off from a high elevation airport, you need to compensate and allow for a longer runway, because of the thinner air.

-dave

Phonedave

6 Miles tonight.

Sometimes I just can't understand myself. I was all ready to go run. I like 6 miles. It is a fun distance for me, and I like the 6 mile loop I run. So out I go and the first 1/2 mile or so is not fun (as always). I keep expecting it to get better, but it never does - just no energy at all. No pain or anything, just no energy. I had to even walk on two of the hills. Around mile 4 I finally felt almost comfortable. I was thinking to myself "I really hope something like this does not happen on race day - I have no idea what could have caused this"

Then I finish up, and it ends up being a decent time. Not my best 6, but most assuredly not my worst.

Sometimes I can't figure this stuff out.

-dave

joel_maxwell

That less to do with engine efficiency and more to do with air density. In colder air you can get away with a shorter runway. (and sound travels further) Also, if your trees loose leaves, that has a LOT to do with perceived sound levels as well.

Same thing goes elevation. If you are taking off from a high elevation airport, you need to compensate and allow for a longer runway, because of the thinner air.

-dave
The north-south runway is usually just puddle jumpers from ATL. They will usually only run on the weekend and they come every 10 minutes for about an hour. They come right over our house. Luckily, it is only a few hours on the weekend and the other times are Learjets and old military restored WWII planes which is really cool.

We sit a little above trees so I think it is the air density. It is like the ground shakes sometimes. Almost like a long drawn out sonic boom type rumble.

6 Miles tonight.

Sometimes I just can't understand myself. I was all ready to go run. I like 6 miles. It is a fun distance for me, and I like the 6 mile loop I run. So out I go and the first 1/2 mile or so is not fun (as always). I keep expecting it to get better, but it never does - just no energy at all. No pain or anything, just no energy. I had to even walk on two of the hills. Around mile 4 I finally felt almost comfortable. I was thinking to myself "I really hope something like this does not happen on race day - I have no idea what could have caused this"

Then I finish up, and it ends up being a decent time. Not my best 6, but most assuredly not my worst.

Sometimes I can't figure this stuff out.

-dave
I have had those too. I have been running and taken a walk break for 15 seconds, and then had to take another one while I was thinking to myself that this run was the worst in history only to see that my times was actually pretty good.

I wish I had the answers and/or I wish I could make that first 600 meters fun. I ask myself why I run every time for that entire 600 meters until things start gelling a little. :lol:

Tonight, per the plan (as Dave says), 30 minutes. No distance taken, but I think it was around 3.25 - 3.5. Just a nice run to get the kinks out of Saturdays 14. Still burned 423 calories @ 30% from fat.

I thought this run was really going to be difficult. I had a 9-4 meeting today. It started late so the VP's said we would cater lunch. I hate this. I have a pretty easy diet. Nothing too crazy. Especially on running days. Lord, of all the things they catered in... The Olive Garden. Luckily it was not all pre mixed. I got some noodles, some grilled chicken that would have gone on the salads and that is it. Of course, my co-workers rib me for being healthy and not eating the meatballs, the pasta's loaded with sauce and the bread sticks. Ill take the ribbing since I know that most of them just wish they could be disciplined and not get the plate full that was about 2 serving sizes too much.

Phonedave

I thought this run was really going to be difficult. I had a 9-4 meeting today. It started late so the VP's said we would cater lunch. I hate this. I have a pretty easy diet. Nothing too crazy. Especially on running days. Lord, of all the things they catered in... The Olive Garden. Luckily it was not all pre mixed. I got some noodles, some grilled chicken that would have gone on the salads and that is it. Of course, my co-workers rib me for being healthy and not eating the meatballs, the pasta's loaded with sauce and the bread sticks. Ill take the ribbing since I know that most of them just wish they could be disciplined and not get the plate full that was about 2 serving sizes too much.

I know the feeling.

My co-workers in my office bring in candy and put it out in bowls. They also make popcorn, and eat a host of other things. I just can't do that. However I do have to give them credit. They are in shape. 2 hours in the gym with a trainer 4 or 5 days a week will do that do you. I just don't have the time for all of that.

-dave

joel_maxwell

I know the feeling.

My co-workers in my office bring in candy and put it out in bowls. They also make popcorn, and eat a host of other things. I just can't do that. However I do have to give them credit. They are in shape. 2 hours in the gym with a trainer 4 or 5 days a week will do that do you. I just don't have the time for all of that.

-dave
We have the bowls of candy too. I reallt dont see how they do it, but they go out to lunch every day. $10 a day for lunch plus it is food like chili's or Ruby Tuesdays. Id weigh 400 pounds.

WishIwasThere

Did a five mile run with the dogs last night after the kids went to bed and wfie came home from band practice.

Legs are a little sore today...didn't stretch after the run since I had to get some milk at the grocery store. My own fault there.

Blueliner

This morning was my last long run before the race, a 12 mile tour of Homewood and Mountain Brook. I dropped some water and Gatorade last night and started a little before 5:00 a.m. I am thinking the temperature and humidity (70 degrees, 80% humidity) this morning likely will be similar to race conditions for the Wine and Dine.

It was a pretty good run. My legs and lungs felt good all the way through, but my right foot continues to give me problems. It became slightly uncomfortable about one mile into the run, but stayed manageable until about mile 10 or so. It definitely hurt worse when I had short walk breaks to take in fluids and GU.

The plan now is to try to throw in one more tempo run (maybe 5 or 6 miles, 3-4 at my planned race pace) on Sunday or Monday, sandwiched between a couple of 2-3 mile runs, with rest next Thursday and Friday.

I am kicking myself for not experimenting with some Tylenol this morning to see if that would have helped get me through the foot pain a little better. Does anyone have experience with Tylenol before or during a long run/race?

Ariel484

Sunday – 7 miles, not too bad. It probably would’ve gone a little better if I’d had less wine the night before though. :hammer:

Yesterday – 3 miles easy, and it was awful from start to finish. I think it was mostly the weather – mid-80s and sunny – but I also started too fast, especially for an easy run. I was just happy to finish without puking.

Today – Hopefully some tennis.

After questioning it a couple of weeks ago, I think I am going to switch to the Galloway half plan…I just realized the one I am using for the Princess Half doesn’t have a taper. There is a 12-miler scheduled for the week before the race…that makes me nervous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom