What did you do?

dreamfinder

Sometimes I just can't understand myself. I was all ready to go run. I like 6 miles. It is a fun distance for me, and I like the 6 mile loop I run. So out I go and the first 1/2 mile or so is not fun (as always). I keep expecting it to get better, but it never does - just no energy at all. No pain or anything, just no energy. I had to even walk on two of the hills. Around mile 4 I finally felt almost comfortable. I was thinking to myself "I really hope something like this does not happen on race day - I have no idea what could have caused this"

Happens to me occasionally to. Can't for the life of me figure out why my body just doesn't want to run. Nothing seemed different, diet was consistent, etc, but it just goes "Meh. Not today sonny". Maybe it just wants a break?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
This morning was my last long run before the race, a 12 mile tour of Homewood and Mountain Brook. I dropped some water and Gatorade last night and started a little before 5:00 a.m. I am thinking the temperature and humidity (70 degrees, 80% humidity) this morning likely will be similar to race conditions for the Wine and Dine.

It was a pretty good run. My legs and lungs felt good all the way through, but my right foot continues to give me problems. It became slightly uncomfortable about one mile into the run, but stayed manageable until about mile 10 or so. It definitely hurt worse when I had short walk breaks to take in fluids and GU.

The plan now is to try to throw in one more tempo run (maybe 5 or 6 miles, 3-4 at my planned race pace) on Sunday or Monday, sandwiched between a couple of 2-3 mile runs, with rest next Thursday and Friday.

I am kicking myself for not experimenting with some Tylenol this morning to see if that would have helped get me through the foot pain a little better. Does anyone have experience with Tylenol before or during a long run/race?
I would like to see that route you took. I assume the Lakeshore trail was part of that run. I really need to try and do that trail again. I bet it was really nice with the creek and the cold air from it.

Are you going to get your foot x-rayed after the W&D? If it is that bad, I might get that checked out.

This might be a runners no-no, but I take 2 Advil before anything longer that 5 or 6 mile run. I think my right shin problem is the way my body plants my right foot and that combined with anything downhill in the first 3 miles is a bad combo. I just dont mess around anymore with long runs and hit 2 Advil. I have read it can possibly disrupt the body's consumption of Glycogen but I havent ever experienced anything like that, or at least I didnt know if I did.

Blueliner

I would like to see that route you took. I assume the Lakeshore trail was part of that run. I really need to try and do that trail again. I bet it was really nice with the creek and the cold air from it.

Are you going to get your foot x-rayed after the W&D? If it is that bad, I might get that checked out.

This might be a runners no-no, but I take 2 Advil before anything longer that 5 or 6 mile run. I think my right shin problem is the way my body plants my right foot and that combined with anything downhill in the first 3 miles is a bad combo. I just dont mess around anymore with long runs and hit 2 Advil. I have read it can possibly disrupt the body's consumption of Glycogen but I havent ever experienced anything like that, or at least I didnt know if I did.

Here is a link to the route: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4054912

You should come down and run the Lakeshore and Jemison trails. A lot of the Jemison trail is crushed gravel, which is a nice break from the asphalt/concrete. With this route, I ran the full length of the Lakeshore trail and then, after running in front of Brookwood Village and under 280, turned on to the trail that runs parallel to Cahaba Road in Mountain Brook. That trail is crushed gravel and runs alongside a nice little stream for a bit. It was, however, kind of treacherous in the dark.

I don't know about my foot. I am almost positivie it is tendonitis and that it will get better with some rest after this race.

My neighbor does a lot of century rides and triathlons and takes Advil as well. I have read it can cause kidney issues, but I am not sure under what specific circumstances. Apparently Tylenol does not have the same effect.

joel_maxwell

Here is a link to the route: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4054912

You should come down and run the Lakeshore and Jemison trails. A lot of the Jemison trail is crushed gravel, which is a nice break from the asphalt/concrete. With this route, I ran the full length of the Lakeshore trail and then, after running in front of Brookwood Village and under 280, turned on to the trail that runs parallel to Cahaba Road in Mountain Brook. That trail is crushed gravel and runs alongside a nice little stream for a bit. It was, however, kind of treacherous in the dark.

I don't know about my foot. I am almost positivie it is tendonitis and that it will get better with some rest after this race.

My neighbor does a lot of century rides and triathlons and takes Advil as well. I have read it can cause kidney issues, but I am not sure under what specific circumstances. Apparently Tylenol does not have the same effect.
I have never had a kidney stone... but that might be due to all the water I drink.

I might have to join you one day for this run. This looks fun and I know every turn. Do you know that you ran right past 2 of my childhood homes that I lived in while a resident of Homewood. Now that is funny. I have seen the Jemison trail and I have never tried it. Ill have to venture out that far once I get into my full routes. That would be a nice break. I have to run on thick grass at times cutting over certain streets that are busy and no sidewalks... man, that just eats my lower leg energy.

DisneyRunner

On the treadmill today, speed work with a cool down totaling 5.09 miles. I am splitting up my strength training over the next few days, as I am pressed for time today.

Phonedave

Four miles tonight. Not the best, but feeling a whole lot better than last night. It was also hot. One of the other runners I passed quipped to me "Who brought summer back ?" as we passed each other.

oh, and just to be consistent ...... as per the plan. :)

-dave

joel_maxwell

Four miles tonight. Not the best, but feeling a whole lot better than last night. It was also hot. One of the other runners I passed quipped to me "Who brought summer back ?" as we passed each other.

oh, and just to be consistent ...... as per the plan. :)

-dave
I almost thought you forgot. :D

4 miles today. Traditionally, it takes about 2 good solid runs after my long runs to feel like all my joints and muscles are back. Im not going to test nature. Ill make it a good run, but Im not going to go for a personal best time.

I have 5 Saturday morning. I think I might make that a last confidence builder.

DisneyRunner

Today, I skipped the YMCA to take advantage of the nice weather. I rode my bike, my usual 12-13 miles. I feel a little guilty skipping my upper body strength training. I also forgot to do my core work and stretching after the ride.

Erin_Akey

I did 5.1 miles tonight which was my longest run since getting back into things.

I feel really good too! Hope to be back up to 8 miles within a few weeks.

Phonedave

6 tonight

I was planning on 10 on Sat, and then 5 and 5 Monday and Tues then nothing before the race (maybe some bike, maybe a walk)

I may drop that Saturday down a bit. The pain I always have in my right knee when I run is beginning to stick around after I run.

-dave

joel_maxwell

6 tonight

I was planning on 10 on Sat, and then 5 and 5 Monday and Tues then nothing before the race (maybe some bike, maybe a walk)

I may drop that Saturday down a bit. The pain I always have in my right knee when I run is beginning to stick around after I run.

-dave
I feel like a beat down man. :lol: I think Im going to do that same. Cut some of the distances down a bit. I know I can cover the distance, I know that I can cover it with a good pace.... my body is screaming for a little rest.

DisneyRunner

I ran 5.52 on the Woodway at the Y. I watched movie trailers and music videos while running. I'll check out the music videos from the 80's and 90's next time.

Erin_Akey

I ran a 5k this morning with my son and Hubby. For the first time EVER I RAN the whole race without having to walk. It was a huge personal victory for me.

My best time EVER. I am pretty excited! Ready for the 10k in a few weeks! As long as I shave time off in each race, I am happy.

heartodisney

Just finished the "Big Dam Bridge" ride with 2,500 others here in Little Rock this morning. Great weather, some wind great rest stops..only did 50 miles..silly asthma was jacking me up!

Phonedave

Wow with what GoofyRacer, Erin, and HeartoDisney did today I feel like a slacker for just going to RoadRunnerSport and buying a new shirt.

-dave

heartodisney

picture.php
Wow with what GoofyRacer, Erin, and HeartoDisney did today I feel like a slacker for just going to RoadRunnerSport and buying a new shirt.

-dave

No way Dave, just doing the "little things" counts! This is at the finish line with my wonderful daughter!

joel_maxwell

Went and bought new shoes yesterday. I put my old shoe on one foot, the new one on the other to see out how worn out my current model is. WOW. No wonder I am very sore after any run I complete.

I ran 2 miles in the new ones yesterday and liked them. Per the plan, Ihave 5 today but it is raining cats and dogs. I have something against taking 2 day old shoes out in rainy mess. Im trying to get them broken in to wear Saturday night.

I might have to run at a local track after the rain quits so it is a little water on them and not street grim and some mud.

I hope they can break in... knowing how worn out my others are in the support and cushion department, makes me hurt thinking about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom