What did you do?

fmingo36

I think speed is all about preparation and body type. Some bodies arent designed to run at certain speeds, but typically when im pushing at 100% and running a 7:30 pace over a certain distance, there are always many others that are older than me running 6:30 pace. Some has to do with them training differently, and some with just skill. I could do it, but it probably wouldnt be enjoyable. I could put in a additional 30 minutues a day and do tons of tempo and speed work, but I dont desire to at this time. I have in the past.

Im 36, 2 kids under 5 and Im flat worn out every day from this. So, I dont have the mental energy to do a lot of speed work right now to remain fast (by my standards. Everyone is different). However, I dont think age is a determining factor of what we can or cant do (unless age has brought on physical restraints). It might take you years to shave 1 or 2 minutes off your mile time, but that is progress.

Just my thoughts.

Well said!

LindsayLoves

Do y'all mind if I take an informal poll on your ages? The last time I ran (last weekend), I felt like I was busting my butt.......at a 13:20 pace. I started wondering "Maybe I will never get faster. Maybe this is it for me." I see some of you posting 8:30...9:30....sub-10 minute paces -- and I just cannot wrap my mind around that. LOL

FWIW -- I'm a "new" runner, and I'm (almost) 42. Does it stand to reason that due to age, I may never get any faster?

I'm not bummed or anything -- just kind of wondering...... :cool:

Witchy

I agree with what Joel said, there are people who are literally twice my age (I'm turning 30 3 months from today) who can smoke me in a race any day of the week so age isn't the major factor. I truly believe that running just comes naturally to some people and they are able to make progress a lot faster than the rest of us. I would never consider myself a natural, in fact I love running because it is a challenge to me. I am thrilled with any progress I can make whether its daily, weekly or monthly progress. That's what keeps me going.

My weekday route is pretty hill filled so I think that has been a big factor on me being able to get my pace lower over the past few months, its just better strengthening and conditioning.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
You know me so well. I AM bringing my sneakers and the first thing I checked when I booked the hotel is if they have a fitness center.
LOL... dont try and tell us that you wont have any activity over the next few days. We werent born yesterday! :D

I agree with what Joel said, there are people who are literally twice my age (I'm turning 30 3 months from today) who can smoke me in a race any day of the week so age isn't the major factor. I truly believe that running just comes naturally to some people and they are able to make progress a lot faster than the rest of us. I would never consider myself a natural, in fact I love running because it is a challenge to me. I am thrilled with any progress I can make whether its daily, weekly or monthly progress. That's what keeps me going.

My weekday route is pretty hill filled so I think that has been a big factor on me being able to get my pace lower over the past few months, its just better strengthening and conditioning.
Yes!

and YES! Hill training is so important. Both on the upside and downside of that hill. Different muscle groups, lung challenges... mental victories.

fmingo36

LOL... dont try and tell us that you wont have any activity over the next few days. We werent born yesterday! :D
Heading to DC so I figured my activity was going to be plenty of walking (and pushing a stroller so I get an arm/shoulder workout too :p )!
But if the treadmill calls my name so be it.

JillC LI

Do y'all mind if I take an informal poll on your ages? The last time I ran (last weekend), I felt like I was busting my butt.......at a 13:20 pace. I started wondering "Maybe I will never get faster. Maybe this is it for me." I see some of you posting 8:30...9:30....sub-10 minute paces -- and I just cannot wrap my mind around that. LOL

FWIW -- I'm a "new" runner, and I'm (almost) 42. Does it stand to reason that due to age, I may never get any faster?

Witchy

Hi Witchy (what's your real name again? I'm sorry I forgot). I am a 43 year old mom of two kids ages 10 and 13. I took up running when I was 26, and for ten years I was only a warm weather runner, and I never did anything longer than 5K. Then in 2005 I decided to train for an run the NYC Marathon which, to my shock, created a love of mid-to-longer distance running, so I've stuck with it. I was not fast at all when I started. In fact it was all I could do to run those shorter distances at all. But I didn't care. it wasn't until I started running longer distances (still at somewhat slow paces - about 11:30 min/mile) that I began to run those shorter distances faster. And it wasn't until about a year ago that I decided to add speedwork to my regime to try to get significantly faster (for me), and I ran a 5K PR of 26:52 (avg pace 8:38 min/mile). I only compete against myself and I was VERY proud of that number.

I honestly think that you have ALOT of room for improvement despite your age. All statistics say that runners slow down as they age. But that assumes you are at your peak already, and it is counterbalanced by the steeper bell curve for how new runners get faster when they stick with it, no matter what their age. My advice to you is to be consistent and not worry about your speed for a long time to come. You will likely get faster. Probably not as fast as many on this forum - I know *I* certainly won't - but running is not just about speed. It's about health and fitness and sanity and enjoyment and community. You can get that at any pace.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
3.77 miles at a 12 minute pace today...which is more or less right where I wanted it. Felt good through, and strong afterwards...Going into a crazy September, with 3 races total, so I don't want to risk anything.

Texas84

Witchy
Started there as well. Wish I could break that 10:00 pace. Best 5K has been a 32. Best 10K has been 65. Took me almost two years to get there. But I'm so focused on the long Disney races I'm not working on speed at all.

imagination30

Witchy

for me it isnt really speed , nessarily its just finding your rhyme , and then geting into the groove.. but i do tend to work on speed some , i have straight street the next street over from my house.. and i tend to try to work on my speed on that Particular strech of road.. , bc its a subdivison , there is less traffic on that road!... so i can run in the middle!.., but i agree with joel.. you just have to get aclimated to it!.. its like trying to ride a bike.. lol , oh iam 31 by the way!

joel_maxwell

I'm 31. Running with guys who are in their 50s, doing 7min paces, for 100 miles straight. Age doesn't mean jack.
I have a close family friend that until about 2 years ago (bad hip problems), he was 66'ish and beating me in Halves and Fulls. Besides that, he is the nicest man on the planet and ran/carried the olympic torch in the ATL '96. WOW.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I'm stronger and healthier at 31 than I ever was in my 20s or teens.
I agree with Joel as well. I think I always will. I was just writing my post-race thoughts this morning, reflecting on how I came from near-death, to running a 100 miles non-stop, shaving 2 hrs off my last time from March in just 5 months. The only answer I have is that there is a fire. Past s--t fuels that fire, and when I toe the line at a race, or step out for a training run, look out. That being said, everyone has their own reasons, but everyone has to have a fire in order to accomplish the improbable.

Joshua&CalebDad

You guys are killing me with your crazy paces. I'll get there one day.

So this spast week I completed 2 runs at 3 miles each finishing with just under a 10:00 minute mile, and when I say under I mean it was maybe 10 seconds. Did my 2 - 4 mile bike rides and then took two days off for my race today.

I completely underestimated the race. I did two miles trail running which I'm not used to. Finished within my 10 minute mile pace but it was not easy (I'm going to start running more on trails, maybe the final run of the week).

The 1 mile in canoe was crazy and there was no way to train for that, just suffered through it. The last part was the 5 mile mountain bike run, which was crazy. Really didn't train well for that. All in all my team and I finished in 1 hour 21 minutes, which wasn't bad for our first time.

Now its back to just running and trying to get ready for my 8k later this fall.

LindsayLoves

9.32mi at 9'40"/mile. It was a great run and a lovely morning for it. I started off with a running partner who paces me well but he dropped out at mile .5. Very glad I was still able to keep my pace up and push myself without my partner. This was the first time I really paid attention to my hydration and fuel, it totally paid off.

Mickey&Minnie

I did a local 5K today "Run for Freedom"
It was a new course for me with little hills and little twists. I was pretty proud of myself tho, it was the first 5K that I was able to run the whole thing straight with no rest breaks. I attribute that to all of the training that I have been doing and I have hopes that it will only get better from here. My pace was still a lot slower from many of those who post on here but we all just do what we can, don't we?

All of you continue to inspire me and to remember to push myself towards the finish line.

Kristia

You guys are killing me with your crazy paces. I'll get there one day.

So this spast week I completed 2 runs at 3 miles each finishing with just under a 10:00 minute mile, and when I say under I mean it was maybe 10 seconds. Did my 2 - 4 mile bike rides and then took two days off for my race today.

I completely underestimated the race. I did two miles trail running which I'm not used to. Finished within my 10 minute mile pace but it was not easy (I'm going to start running more on trails, maybe the final run of the week).

The 1 mile in canoe was crazy and there was no way to train for that, just suffered through it. The last part was the 5 mile mountain bike run, which was crazy. Really didn't train well for that. All in all my team and I finished in 1 hour 21 minutes, which wasn't bad for our first time.

Now its back to just running and trying to get ready for my 8k later this fall.
Hey you are still faster than me! We did our 5 mile walk for the Galloway plan (Goofy Challenge training). We did the first 2 miles at 16 min/mile and then got our dogs for the other 3 miles. Our one dog is so out of shape lol. He was dragging after 1.5 miles and he is only 4 years old. I gotta get him out walking more! Our young cattle dog could go forever though! We were kind of slow for those 3 miles so that Koda could keep up.

joel_maxwell

Good running everyone!

11 miles this am. About a 9:15 pace. My legs were jelly after an additional day swimming this week. I tried out a new area with a large lake and a path around it. Saw a copperhead in the water right off the shore. He swam away from me. Interesting though.

It was deceivingly hot this morning. I dont think it was very hot in tempature, but there was one factor that really got to me. Might have been the humidity. Not sure.

Have a great weekend. Time for an adult beverage and Saturday night. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom