What did you do?

a2grafix

Ran back to back 3 miles Friday and Saturday. Second 3 miler was a 5k, the Heroes 5k that was part of Navy Week in Toledo. Ended up running a 27:15 personal record in my second timed 5k this summer. Last month ran 28:11 in the other 5k.

Texas84

5.24 miles, 0900 launch. Pleasant morning about 75F and 70% humidity. Body was saying "Let's go faster!" Brain was saying, "No, we're pacing for next week." Time to start packing for Disneyland!

Mr mom

Do y'all mind if I take an informal poll on your ages? The last time I ran (last weekend), I felt like I was busting my butt.......at a 13:20 pace. I started wondering "Maybe I will never get faster. Maybe this is it for me." I see some of you posting 8:30...9:30....sub-10 minute paces -- and I just cannot wrap my mind around that. LOL

FWIW -- I'm a "new" runner, and I'm (almost) 42. Does it stand to reason that due to age, I may never get any faster?

I'm not bummed or anything -- just kind of wondering...... :cool:

Witchy

I'm 44 and I run 6.25 miles 5 days a week at about 8 minutes a mile, has taken me almost 3 years to get that pace.

Kristia

Thanks, it will be my first trip to Disneyland. Although I'll admit, I have tickets to The Price is Right and I don't know which I'm more excited for.
That is too funny! We were talking about doing the Disneyland Half in 2013 (which unfortunately is not going to work) and my husband wants to go to Price is Right too whenever we get out there! Was it hard to get tickets?

Mr mom

Odd how folks talk about paces as I only started thinking about how fast I was going since I started following these running threads, previous to that I was just doing my thing. I run alone and have never run in a race of any kind. It was not until here that I even knew I had a decent pace, that being said I have noticed I run faster than the other folks in my neighborhood.

Kristia

10 miles @11:21 pace. The temp was nice but again the humidity was back! I think I could have gone a little faster if not for the darn humidity. Makes it so hard to breathe!

JillC LI

I'm stronger and healthier at 31 than I ever was in my 20s or teens.

And I am stronger and healthier at 43 than I was in my 20s as well!

So this spast week I completed 2 runs at 3 miles each finishing with just under a 10:00 minute mile, and when I say under I mean it was maybe 10 seconds. Did my 2 - 4 mile bike rides and then took two days off for my race today.

I completely underestimated the race. I did two miles trail running which I'm not used to. Finished within my 10 minute mile pace but it was not easy (I'm going to start running more on trails, maybe the final run of the week).

The 1 mile in canoe was crazy and there was no way to train for that, just suffered through it. The last part was the 5 mile mountain bike run, which was crazy. Really didn't train well for that. All in all my team and I finished in 1 hour 21 minutes, which wasn't bad for our first time.

Sounds like a cool race. I've never canoed!

I did a local 5K today "Run for Freedom"
It was a new course for me with little hills and little twists. I was pretty proud of myself tho, it was the first 5K that I was able to run the whole thing straight with no rest breaks. I attribute that to all of the training that I have been doing and I have hopes that it will only get better from here. My pace was still a lot slower from many of those who post on here but we all just do what we can, don't we?

All of you continue to inspire me and to remember to push myself towards the finish line.

Congrats on your first nonstop 5K! You nailed it on that head that "we all just do what we can, don't we." I certainly do!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Rested this weekend after a successful race last weekend.
I didn't check weight (need to maintain or be just 1 lb. over for 100mi, for my body), but I'm sure I dropped a few pounds after that race , with the additional gear weight and calorie deficit.
Tomorrow begins my official training for McNaughton 500 mi. This means high mileage, consecutive days, hill repeats, technical trails and caloric increase to about 7,500 cals, for now.

Run hard folks, I'm seeing some impressive numbers and goals being reached by all of you!

JillC LI

So I had a really weird run and post-run effects yesterday. I did 7 miles, and within 2 blocks, I felt like the heat was oppressive and I could barely get my legs to move (although it was cooler than it was earlier this summer). I literally wanted the run to be over after 5 minutes, but I forced myself to finish the 7 miles. I did it at a decent pace for me, nothing amazing - 10:08 min. When I got home, I told my hubby that it ranked up there with my top 5 most miserable runs. But I figured it was over.

Strangely, within about 1 hour, my quads were in almost as much pain as they were the day after I completed a marathon. It was agony to walk down steps and painful to even walk. I've never had that experience so soon after any run, let alone a relatively short and not-so-fast run. I'm still in pain today. Any one ever experience anything like this?

ps - Despite my pain, my hubby wanted to go for a walk on the boardwalk since the kids were with their grandparents yesterday, so I added on 6 more miles of walking to my day, painful though they were!

Mad Stitch

That is too funny! We were talking about doing the Disneyland Half in 2013 (which unfortunately is not going to work) and my husband wants to go to Price is Right too whenever we get out there! Was it hard to get tickets?

I didn't have a hard time. When I knew I'd be running Disneyland back in January I checked the taping schedule weekly. When they got close to posting the taping schedule for the first week of September I started checking daily. Once they appeared I grabbed them. I've been wanting to go to a live show my whole life. I even made a t-shirt for the show.

Mr mom

Hav
So I had a really weird run and post-run effects yesterday. I did 7 miles, and within 2 blocks, I felt like the heat was oppressive and I could barely get my legs to move (although it was cooler than it was earlier this summer). I literally wanted the run to be over after 5 minutes, but I forced myself to finish the 7 miles. I did it at a decent pace for me, nothing amazing - 10:08 min. When I got home, I told my hubby that it ranked up there with my top 5 most miserable runs. But I figured it was over.

Strangely, within about 1 hour, my quads were in almost as much pain as they were the day after I completed a marathon. It was agony to walk down steps and painful to even walk. I've never had that experience so soon after any run, let alone a relatively short and not-so-fast run. I'm still in pain today. Any one ever experience anything like this?

ps - Despite my pain, my hubby wanted to go for a walk on the boardwalk since the kids were with their grandparents yesterday, so I added on 6 more miles of walking to my day, painful though they were!

Have to wonder if after doing a few runs in the high humidity that your body might have been a little dehydrated or it could have been not enough carbs and protein in your diet lately, more than likely it was a combo of things. I remember once being told that all runners remember their carbs but forget the protein need and with the high humidity you probably needed a little more of eveything and perhaps over time it weakened everything. Bananas are apparently the best thing for those quads, the extra potassium is supposed to help.

Mr mom

6.25 miles (10km) at a pace of 7.45, awesome considering I was laid up with my back for 5 days and a very light weight session, don't want my back out again.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Rested this weekend after a successful race last weekend.
I didn't check weight (need to maintain or be just 1 lb. over for 100mi, for my body), but I'm sure I dropped a few pounds after that race , with the additional gear weight and calorie deficit.
Tomorrow begins my official training for McNaughton 500 mi. This means high mileage, consecutive days, hill repeats, technical trails and caloric increase to about 7,500 cals, for now.

Run hard folks, I'm seeing some impressive numbers and goals being reached by all of you!
Glad you took the weekend to get re-energized for a huge training regiment.

Sounds like your muscle are dehydrated. You know how it goes, once you get dehydrated, it takes forever to get back balanced and ahead of the game. Even if you came in a drank a bunch of fluids, it still would take awhile.

Hope you are feeling better today.

Have to wonder if after doing a few runs in the high humidity that your body might have been a little dehydrated or it could have been not enough carbs and protein in your diet lately, more than likely it was a combo of things. I remember once being told that all runners remember their carbs but forget the protein need and with the high humidity you probably needed a little more of eveything and perhaps over time it weakened everything. Bananas are apparently the best thing for those quads, the extra potassium is supposed to help.
Bingo!

joel_maxwell

Easy Breezy 3 miles this morning. Hoka's come in the mail today.

Swimming in the am. Bring it on Michael Phelps... ok, dude could school me with 1 arm.

JillC LI

Hav

Sounds like your muscle are dehydrated. You know how it goes, once you get dehydrated, it takes forever to get back balanced and ahead of the game. Even if you came in a drank a bunch of fluids, it still would take awhile.

Hope you are feeling better today.

I wonder if you guys are right about the dehydration. I was out running for an hour and ten minutes, and I did drink one fuel belt bottle (8oz) of gatorade during that time, but maybe it wasn't enough given the humidity? I never experienced such severe quad pain so soon after a run, so maybe that was it.
I was still hobbling a bit yesterday, and I'm still sore today but I decided that an easy 3.5 mile run this morning might help so I did that. Don't feel any better but don't feel any worse. I think I'll try that banana suggestion at lunch today. It's just so weird because I don't feel like I did anything different than I ever do on that run Saturday, but something was obviously way off. Thanks for the thoughts.

joel_maxwell

I wonder if you guys are right about the dehydration. I was out running for an hour and ten minutes, and I did drink one fuel belt bottle (8oz) of gatorade during that time, but maybe it wasn't enough given the humidity? I never experienced such severe quad pain so soon after a run, so maybe that was it.
I was still hobbling a bit yesterday, and I'm still sore today but I decided that an easy 3.5 mile run this morning might help so I did that. Don't feel any better but don't feel any worse. I think I'll try that banana suggestion at lunch today. It's just so weird because I don't feel like I did anything different than I ever do on that run Saturday, but something was obviously way off. Thanks for the thoughts.
Im not a doctor (although i will say that I am better than going to webmd.com) so Im just throwing stuff out there, but has your diet been different this past week? We all know lactic acid build up will do a number on your legs/muscles, so I wonder if it was something dietary. With that said, you would think that would cause it to be all over your body.

Very interesting. Sorry you are still a bit sore.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Yeah, a banana will help. I faced my first hydration issues at a half marathon earlier this year. My right hamstring pretty much seized up, pulling halfway up my back.....I changed up my pre-race hydration routine to add a banana and more electrolytes, and haven't seen the issues since.

JillC LI

Hmm, so I did some research after seeing what everyone wrote, and I'm now thinking it may not have been dehydration. Dehydration can certainly lead to muscle cramps, but from the descriptions I've read of muscle cramps vs. muscle strain, my pain does not sound like a cramp. It did not happen while I was running, and it did not seize up suddenly. It came on after my run and has lasted (albeit less so today) ever since. Cramps usually go away faster. So now I'm thinking that maybe what I have is a quadricep strain. If so, it appears that a level 1 strain (if that's what it is) takes 1-3 weeks to heal completely. In light of that, I plan to take it easy this week and only run if running does not hurt. (I can't risk a more severe injury when I plan to wear 4" heels to my son's Bar Mitzvah this weekend!)
At the same time, just in case, I did just eat a banana. :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Just shy of 30 miles this morning.
Almost done reconfiguring my set up to be more efficient, even if it does add a pound.

Suck up the pain, and run...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom