What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
4.25 miles this morning. Fog was really thick on the Mtn side this morning and that gave me 90% humidity. I was soaked with sweat by .5 miles. That never happens.

bmarkelon

I've been on the boards for a few years here and never popped in because I wasn't a "runner". Well, that has changed this past year, I am so happy I finally started. I started earlier this past spring and have since run my first ever 5 mile road race and then a 10 mile road race this past weekend!! I am loving it! I'll be in WDW in 10 days, staying at BLT and hoping to get out for a couple jogs while we are there.

Blueliner

4.25 miles this morning. Fog was really thick on the Mtn side this morning and that gave me 90% humidity. I was soaked with sweat by .5 miles. That never happens.

I feel your pain. I ran 5K during my son's football practice last night (at about 6:00 p.m.). I'm talking Houston/New Orleans/Mobile-style humidity, where sweat does not serve its intended purpose and moisture-wicking shirts cannot possibly keep up.

Last week was 3 three mile runs, a five mile run, and one day of Insanity Core Cardio and Balance. The plan for this week is 2 three mile runs, a 4 mile run, a 5 mile run, and more Insanity.

joel_maxwell

I feel your pain. I ran 5K during my son's football practice last night (at about 6:00 p.m.). I'm talking Houston/New Orleans/Mobile-style humidity, where sweat does not serve its intended purpose and moisture-wicking shirts cannot possibly keep up.

Last week was 3 three mile runs, a five mile run, and one day of Insanity Core Cardio and Balance. The plan for this week is 2 three mile runs, a 4 mile run, a 5 mile run, and more Insanity.
Yep, on my 9 mile run this past Saturday all up behind Mt Laurel (local person reference) I was under the canopy of trees and woods and still burning up at 7am. My tech shirt was soaked when i got home. When i walked into the house, I was instantly freezing with the AC and my wet shirt. LOL.

6pm. Wow, that is brutal.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
First run back after tweaking my knee. I decided to take both Friday and Sunday off and came down with a head cold over the weekend! I did 5K this am @ 9:15 pace. Not as fast as I would have liked but the knee felt really good, my legs in general were raring to go so I'm happy. I'm hoping I'll have kicked the cold completely by Friday and can knock out a good 7 miler.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Don't ever miss a salt cap intake on a 30 miler in 90+degree temps and keep screwing up the schedule, especially if you've been training on a strict intake schedule for months...BONK
Again, where is my 'hurl' emoticon??

Mickey&Minnie

I've been on the boards for a few years here and never popped in because I wasn't a "runner". Well, that has changed this past year, I am so happy I finally started. I started earlier this past spring and have since run my first ever 5 mile road race and then a 10 mile road race this past weekend!! I am loving it! I'll be in WDW in 10 days, staying at BLT and hoping to get out for a couple jogs while we are there.

Great to have you on here! Have fun running in Disney!

JillC LI

Welcome to the board. Sounds like you're another running addict!

Witchy Chick

And as for me, last night the temperature dropped into the 70s and the humidity hit a low for the past week, so I made my kids a quick dinner, threw on my running clothes and had a great 8 mile run, finishing just as it was getting dark. Ahh.

Ohhhh, I can't wait for some low humidity. I leave for work in the morning and feel like I'm stepping into a sauna. At 8am. UGH.

YUCK. Nice job getting that 4+ miles in. With humidity that high, I'd be back in the A/C in no time. :p

Back in NJ and back to my classes. An hour of weights and 1/2 hr of core this morning. And of course looking forward to my hula lessons tonight. :D

Hula lessons sound so cool!! I might have to look into that around here. :)

I'm scheduled for TM run tonight after the kiddos go to bed. I have a TON of other stuff to do tonight as well; hopefully running gives me energy rather than sapping it. LOL DD's 4th bday coming up in 12 days, and I need to start getting the house in order for the party.

Witchy

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I mowed the lawn today....by my fitbit's count it took a bit over 3 hours, and I walked 13,000 steps for a little over 6 miles.

LindsayLoves

Welcome to the boards, I'm a newbie around here as well and everyone is super friendly and supportive.

Just finished up 5.1 mi at 10'13", ran in the opposite direction I am used to and it was far more challenging than I expected it to be. Definitely need to switch it up from time to time. Glad the humidity broke from this morning, going to work at 6am I was dreading my afternoon run if the humidity was going to remain the same and the temps were going to rise.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Welcome. Some things you should know:
1. It's the best running forum anywhere
2. There is no hand-holding here. Everyone on here busts their butts and represents. Looks like you're off to a great start with your runs!
3. Don't ever give up.
4. Listen to Coryna, Jill, Joel, and all the other veterens here.
5. Although a veteren, don't ever follow what I do. I'm an idiot, and the above mentioned members will back me up :D
6. "Thanks be to PhoneDave...glory to Dave in the highest..."
7. HAVE FUN!!!!!

joel_maxwell

I have almost an acre...it's all lawn....with a push mower....so pretty close.
Get you a riding lawn mower 3 blades wide. Yes, Im telling you to be lazy and not push a mower, but it will give you more time to run. :)
Welcome. Some things you should know:
1. It's the best running forum anywhere
2. There is no hand-holding here. Everyone on here busts their butts and represents. Looks like you're off to a great start with your runs!
3. Don't ever give up.
4. Listen to Coryna, Jill, Joel, and all the other veterens here.
5. Although a veteren, don't ever follow what I do. I'm an idiot, and the above mentioned members will back me up :D
6. "Thanks be to PhoneDave...glory to Dave in the highest..."
7. HAVE FUN!!!!!
I like #2 best.

#1 is credit to the members and Steve for trusting us to run with it un-monitored. (no pun intended)

#3 is essential

the others are important too. Good list. I would say you are a veteran too, just a crazy one.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Get you a riding lawn mower 3 blades wide. Yes, Im telling you to be lazy and not push a mower, but it will give you more time to run. :)
I like #2 best.

#1 is credit to the members and Steve for trusting us to run with it un-monitored. (no pun intended)

#3 is essential

the others are important too. Good list. I would say you are a veteran too, just a crazy one.

Funny, Coryna and I have been on here since 2008 for the exact same amount of time, right down to the day!

a2grafix

After running 3.4 miles Aug. 2 at a new metroparks trail (mix of dirt, sand and grass), my left calf flared up. This has been happening to me for the better part of the year. The calf strain hits my left side, then goes to my right. It flip-flops from time to time. Most of my runs are pain free and I feel awesome afterward.

Took 2 days off and decided to try and put in at least 8 miles Sunday. Didn't even get past 2.70 in about 30 minutes over a slightly new route. I went out after morning thunderstorm and although it was 73, it was also 95 percent humidity in NW Ohio, so, yeah, I was soaked by the end of my run. The left leg calf strain came back and I could not put in more miles. Didn't want to chance it.

With these calf strains and running on sometimes unfamiliar surfaces with short distance running shoes (ASICS Men's GEL-Kanbarra 6-- I was training for 1.5 mile runs and an occasional 5K) over the past year, I finally came to my senses and purchased a new pair of dedicated PF Flyers / long distance kicks. I purchased another ASICS brand from a running store - the GEL-Cumulus 14. Never spent over $100 on a pair of dedicated long distance running shoes before, but this is a start. The GEL-Kanbarra 6ers were on sale in May 2011 for $59.99 from DICKS Sporting Goods.

Since I have been training for the Tower of Terror 10-miler my GEL-Kanbarra 6 shoes have done their job, but later learned from Second Sole that a pair of running shoes is like a set of tires. They wear out after time. I still have decent treads on the GEL-Kanbarra 6ers I stepped up and bought the GEL-Cumulus 14s, which I am told have a tread life of about 350-500 miles.

So, after the big purchase, took the new "cloud 14s" out for a little run today. Still felt some soreness in my left calf. I rubbed in some icy-hot, did my normal stretching, and ran an even 3 miles in a tad under 29 minutes. No stress, just wanted to take the new kicks for a nice smooth jog. After the run and cool down of a half mile and stretching, the calf is still strained.

I have an appointment with a massage therapist Thursday, and I hope she can isolate and rub and stretch out the problem. Might have to take off a week of running in order for my calf to rest and heal.

Can't wait to get back out with my new "cloud 14s." Looking forward to that 8 miler that I failed to do last Sunday. I have mapped a new route and part of the new route I have been running the past 2 jogs.

Kristia

With these calf strains and running on sometimes unfamiliar surfaces with short distance running shoes (ASICS Men's GEL-Kanbarra 6-- I was training for 1.5 mile runs and an occasional 5K) over the past year, I finally came to my senses and purchased a new pair of dedicated PF Flyers / long distance kicks. I purchased another ASICS brand from a running store - the GEL-Cumulus 14. Never spent over $100 on a pair of dedicated long distance running shoes before, but this is a start. The GEL-Kanbarra 6ers were on sale in May 2011 for $59.99 from DICKS Sporting Goods.

Just curious...have you ever gone to a running store and been fitted for running shoes? When I started running, I had issues with shin splints, knee issues and soreness. I went to a local running store and they watched me run and told me that I overpronate. They suggested shoes that are made specifically for people that overpronate. It is more expensive to buy shoes from them, but it made all the difference in the world! No more shin splints, no more knee issues. I have tried a couple different brands and finally settled on Brooks. Once you are fitted and find a shoe you like, than you can shop around for a better price. Once I found a shoe that I liked, I was able to buy subsequent pairs on Amazon. The good thing about running stores is they usually (at least mine does) have an great policy that if you take them home run in them and they don't work for you, you can bring them back and get something else.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom