What did you do?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Get you a riding lawn mower 3 blades wide. Yes, Im telling you to be lazy and not push a mower, but it will give you more time to run. :)

I've never minded it....yesterday I mowed lawn while the little one took her morning nap, so I was stuck around the house anyway. It's a different kind of workout. I think of it as crosstraining. Besides, I am perfectly on schedule with my marathon training right now, and have 2 races for 16+ miles scheduled next weekend.....so I can't afford to slack :)

dreamfinder

I've been on the boards for a few years here and never popped in because I wasn't a "runner". Well, that has changed this past year, I am so happy I finally started. I started earlier this past spring and have since run my first ever 5 mile road race and then a 10 mile road race this past weekend!! I am loving it! I'll be in WDW in 10 days, staying at BLT and hoping to get out for a couple jogs while we are there.

Welcome to the boards! We may not hold your hand, but we will hold your hair back while you puke on the side of the road.

Still taking it easy myself this week, but I have a 5k race tonight. I'd love to PR it, but I doubt that will happen. My knee still isn't liking speed right now.

Blueliner

Five miles on the indoor track this morning. My stride felt better than it has for a while. My stomach felt worse than it has for a while (I suspect due to subpar hydration/nutrition). It was a weird combination, but hopefully I'll get everything working together tomorrow.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Funny, Coryna and I have been on here since 2008 for the exact same amount of time, right down to the day!
After looking at some members "Member Since" dates below their avatars, there are respectably a lot of members in here that have been on wdwmagic for a long time. Very impressive place. Dang, Brad has been around 3 more years than I have. Did we have internet back then. LOL

As for me this am, 3 mile run at a 9 min pace average. Then biked 4.25 miles. Swimming tomorrow.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I've never minded it....yesterday I mowed lawn while the little one took her morning nap, so I was stuck around the house anyway. It's a different kind of workout. I think of it as crosstraining. Besides, I am perfectly on schedule with my marathon training right now, and have 2 races for 16+ miles scheduled next weekend.....so I can't afford to slack :)
I know. I like doing yard work instead of paying someone to do it. Im in a competition with this old man next door who pays 3 different services to manicure his grass. It is on! His lawn is beautiful, but it isnt like he earned it.

Five miles on the indoor track this morning. My stride felt better than it has for a while. My stomach felt worse than it has for a while (I suspect due to subpar hydration/nutrition). It was a weird combination, but hopefully I'll get everything working together tomorrow.
I hate that. From what you posted in the past, you train pretty intensely so I dont doubt this is just a hiccup and a bad day. Better luck on the next run. Good job on finishing.

Welcome to the boards! We may not hold your hand, but we will hold your hair back while you puke on the side of the road.

Still taking it easy myself this week, but I have a 5k race tonight. I'd love to PR it, but I doubt that will happen. My knee still isn't liking speed right now.
Ill have to deflect that responsibility to you guys. Im a vomit fobe. A girl pulled up and puked all over the bridge by the beach club during the W&D, right in front of me. I suspect that she was on the second leg of the relay and she had to much Powerade while waiting. It was nasty.

Kristia

After looking at some members "Member Since" dates below their avatars, there are respectably a lot of members in here that have been on wdwmagic for a long time. Very impressive place. Dang, Brad has been around 3 more years than I have. Did we have internet back then. LOL

As for me this am, 3 mile run at a 9 min pace average. Then biked 4.25 miles. Swimming tomorrow.
I have been around a while but I was pretty much a lurker for the first 8 years! :cool:

a2grafix

Just curious...have you ever gone to a running store and been fitted for running shoes? When I started running, I had issues with shin splints, knee issues and soreness. I went to a local running store and they watched me run and told me that I overpronate. They suggested shoes that are made specifically for people that overpronate. It is more expensive to buy shoes from them, but it made all the difference in the world! No more shin splints, no more knee issues. I have tried a couple different brands and finally settled on Brooks. Once you are fitted and find a shoe you like, than you can shop around for a better price. Once I found a shoe that I liked, I was able to buy subsequent pairs on Amazon. The good thing about running stores is they usually (at least mine does) have an great policy that if you take them home run in them and they don't work for you, you can bring them back and get something else.

Other than last year and this year, I have never shopped at a dedicated running store, only DICKS Sporting Goods, or a generic department store. Never really gave it much thought that I needed to invest in specialized shoes. I thought tennis shoes were tennis shoes and I wasn't an athlete or really didn't run and I didn't need to invest in my fitness. I only recently started to look at myself and as I get older I need to exercise more. I first invested in the Kanbarra 6ers last year from DICKS after I got a gift card from my parent's. Seemed like a good deal at the time, and so I invested, and the shoes treated me well.

I didn't learn of Second Sole until Summer 2011 and accepted their advice, but since I had invested in a pair of running shoes, I felt fine. I ran 1 or 2 or 3 miles at a time, about 3 times a week. I did try on several pairs of shoes after the guy examined my shoes. He brought out ASICS, Brooks, Nike, and Mizuno brands and I went through the motions. Although all felt comfortable I narrowed the shoes down to ASICS and Mizuno. Since I had been running in ASICS I decided to stay with ASICS.

I also think that why I am seeing an increase in calf strains in both legs, or the constant occurrence of calf strains, is that I have decided to just run / train for the Tower of Terror 10-miler. I'm on a running kick. It's a challenge in itself because I had, up until this summer, never run long distance runs of more than 3 miles. Instead I should also balance other fitness regimen, like re-incorporating P90X workouts. I sort of did this in 2011 when I was focused on completing a 1.5-mile fitness requirement for the Air Force. I started with Turbojam and walked, then started to run and worked in P90X. But since the Tower training plan started around Memorial Day, I have been focused on running and pacing and breathing and, well, basically enjoying running.

But I am not running every day, so that should give me the time to also focus on other parts of my body. I do miss Tony Horton and the workouts. I haven't done a P90X workout in a month. I guess I need to just start a routine one day and build on it and incorporate it.

Kristia

Other than last year and this year, I have never shopped at a dedicated running store, only DICKS Sporting Goods, or a generic department store. Never really gave it much thought that I needed to invest in specialized shoes. I thought tennis shoes were tennis shoes and I wasn't an athlete or really didn't run and I didn't need to invest in my fitness. I only recently started to look at myself and as I get older I need to exercise more. I first invested in the Kanbarra 6ers last year from DICKS after I got a gift card from my parent's. Seemed like a good deal at the time, and so I invested, and the shoes treated me well.

I didn't learn of Second Sole until Summer 2011 and accepted their advice, but since I had invested in a pair of running shoes, I felt fine. I ran 1 or 2 or 3 miles at a time, about 3 times a week. I did try on several pairs of shoes after the guy examined my shoes. He brought out ASICS, Brooks, Nike, and Mizuno brands and I went through the motions. Although all felt comfortable I narrowed the shoes down to ASICS and Mizuno. Since I had been running in ASICS I decided to stay with ASICS.

I also think that why I am seeing an increase in calf strains in both legs, or the constant occurrence of calf strains, is that I have decided to just run / train for the Tower of Terror 10-miler. I'm on a running kick. It's a challenge in itself because I had, up until this summer, never run long distance runs of more than 3 miles. Instead I should also balance other fitness regimen, like re-incorporating P90X workouts. I sort of did this in 2011 when I was focused on completing a 1.5-mile fitness requirement for the Air Force. I started with Turbojam and walked, then started to run and worked in P90X. But since the Tower training plan started around Memorial Day, I have been focused on running and pacing and breathing and, well, basically enjoying running.

But I am not running every day, so that should give me the time to also focus on other parts of my body. I do miss Tony Horton and the workouts. I haven't done a P90X workout in a month. I guess I need to just start a routine one day and build on it and incorporate it.
My first pair were ASICS and they were comfortable but I began having knee issues. I don't think this was the shoe but not positive. When it came time for new ones, I tried Saucony. They were comfortable but when I finally got up to 10+ mile runs, I began to get blisters. I think the toebox was a little small for me. I then switched to Brooks and so far so good. I don't really do any cross-training although I know I should!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
20.66 miles this morning in awful humidity. Still pulling back the miles.
I'll go for one last long run tomorrow, rest for the weekend, run a 20mi on Monday, 15mi on Tues, 10mi on Wed, walk the boardwalk with my pacer for 4 miles on Thursday, and drive up to Lockport, NY on Friday. LOt's of stretching and relaxing on Friday with a couple of beers. Saturday, it's on. 100 miles.

Race nerves? You bet. Get ready for pain.

Run outside your comfort zone, and you'll be amazed what happens. Or you can just stay home and dream about what you could have done. Go hard folks.

Witchy Chick

I have almost an acre...it's all lawn....with a push mower....so pretty close.

Holy crud. We have just over a half-acre........and use a riding lawnmower. haha

Well, I didn't get that warm of a reception....... :( :p ;)

Good luck with your 5K. I hope your knee is OK....

Ill have to deflect that responsibility to you guys. Im a vomit fobe. A girl pulled up and puked all over the bridge by the beach club during the W&D, right in front of me. I suspect that she was on the second leg of the relay and she had to much Powerade while waiting. It was nasty.

Ummmm, ewwwwwwwwwww. o_O

Bad news: With all of my other "things to do" last night, I did not get my run in.
Good news: DH did his (5-mile) run outside this morning, so he and I don't have to push each other off the TM tonight. haha

Witchy

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
My first pair were ASICS and they were comfortable but I began having knee issues. I don't think this was the shoe but not positive. When it came time for new ones, I tried Saucony. They were comfortable but when I finally got up to 10+ mile runs, I began to get blisters. I think the toebox was a little small for me. I then switched to Brooks and so far so good. I don't really do any cross-training although I know I should!

I had Saucony Guide 3's, and the toe box felt tiny. I switched to Kinvara's and the difference was remarkable...Plus having the minimalist upper allowed my feet to breathe.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
7 miles this morning at a 13 minute pace....not a great pace, but this race was about getting in the distance. I'll have a couple short runs before next Saturday's double down (1/2 Marathon in the morning and Warrior Dash in the afternoon).

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
7 miles this morning at a 13 minute pace....not a great pace, but this race was about getting in the distance. I'll have a couple short runs before next Saturday's double down (1/2 Marathon in the morning and Warrior Dash in the afternoon).

If you have time run the 1/2 three times and the 'dash 5 times, minimum. Represent!

fmingo36

Only a mile in this morning at the local High School track. My daughter who just turned 8 is training to run The Color Run 5K with me in less than a month. I know she won't be able to run the whole thing but I'm proud of her for even wanting to try. I will say she is fast, much faster than her mother, for short distances. Who knows maybe you'll see her at the 2020 Olympics in the 100, 200, or 400 meter races.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Only a mile in this morning at the local High School track. My daughter who just turned 8 is training to run The Color Run 5K with me in less than a month. I know she won't be able to run the whole thing but I'm proud of her for even wanting to try. I will say she is fast, much faster than her mother, for short distances. Who knows maybe you'll see her at the 2020 Olympics in the 100, 200, or 400 meter races.

That's how my daughter is....we've seen her go past a great number of people at the kids RunDisney Races, but were shocked this spring when she ran a 1/2 mile race, coming in 1st place with a 4:29 time. She's all about healthy eating, and I can see her doing a 5k in a couple of years.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Bella is gonna rock it!

Kristia

I had Saucony Guide 3's, and the toe box felt tiny. I switched to Kinvara's and the difference was remarkable...Plus having the minimalist upper allowed my feet to breathe.
Those are the same ones I had. My husband had them too and loved them. Had no problems at all. I have never tried the Kinvara's. Might have to check them out in the future!

That's how my daughter is....we've seen her go past a great number of people at the kids RunDisney Races, but were shocked this spring when she ran a 1/2 mile race, coming in 1st place with a 4:29 time. She's all about healthy eating, and I can see her doing a 5k in a couple of years.
That's right, start them early so they won't have to start at the beginning in old age lol! I so wished I had started running earlier. When I was in high school, the cross country coach was one of my teachers. He kept bugging my friend and I to come out for cross country. We didn't want too. Now I wish I had.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom