What did you do?

MKCP 1985

Just found out that 2 races I want to do next year are going to be held the same day.

The Madison Mini-Marathon and Warrior Dash are going to be held the same day.

By theory, I could make both of them, but I don't know how logical it is to try and run 16 miles across 2 different races in 1 day.

DO IT! Run hard or just go back to bed!

Do it..... It's not that illogical. I've done the Family Halloween 5k in the am, and then finished with the Wine & Dine half that night. The Warrior Dash may or may not kick your butt. It all depends on the course.

you expected rational advice on this forum? :ROFLOL: I guess you are going to have to do them both now. :D

scorp111

Just found out that 2 races I want to do next year are going to be held the same day.

The Madison Mini-Marathon and Warrior Dash are going to be held the same day.

By theory, I could make both of them, but I don't know how logical it is to try and run 16 miles across 2 different races in 1 day.

Love the advice you are getting here:) Since I did back to back halfs on a weekend in October, I will go with the others and say, DO IT :)

Expo was good today. Pretty messed up sinuses and throat right now, but ready to run tomorrow for sure. Just want to get 26.2 in the book for the first time.

Texas84

I confess: The alarm went off at 0500 and I turned over and went right back to sleep. Glorious. I won't skip my 7-miler Sunday. I promise.

Texas84

OK, did the 7-miles this morning. Did it in my average 10K time so I was moving at a good pace. My mechanics were off until mile 2 then everything clicked and I cruised the rest of the way. Could have easily gone farther but my marathon plan said no.

scorp111

Um. Wow.

For those that have finished a marathon, if I never said it before congrats. Hanging around with runners, can almost make it feel commonplace, but after my experience yesterday, I will never take a marathoner, any marathoner, lightly again! The last place finished yesterday took some 14 hours, and I am in awe. How does one keep fighting for that long?

Oh and Nick, your 100+ mile weeks and your ultras, are even more unimaginable to me now than they were before. Not that I discounted them before, but after feeling how I felt today?

Anyhow, a report on my first full marathon. I had battled a sinus/throat thing for a couple of days beforehand to the point of I took Nyquil on Thursday night to get some sleep. I took Dayquil during the day on Friday, and then nothing for about 18 hours before the race. I am sure that the illness took something out of me, but I will never know how much.

Regardless, race morning came, and we secured a great parking spot by Autozone Stadium. I used the bag check and stayed plenty hydrated. The 8am start was a bit later, so we had plenty of time to kill. The weather was good, but warmer than had been forecasted, but luckily I had packed with options, so went with short sleeves underneath my St. Jude Heroes Singlet. Running for St. Jude was an awesome feeling, as so many of the families would yell out for the heroes as we went past. When we actually went through the St. Jude Hospital Campus at around mile 4, it was so overwhelming. Many of the families and some of the children lined the course, and thanked us all for running for them. Crazy.

Anyways back to the start, after a 6 year old who had finished her cancer treatment just over a year ago sang the national anthem (chills anyone), we were off. I had chosen to run with the 4:40 pace group for as long as I could. I was hoping for at least 18 miles with them, and then do whatever I could to bring it home. I met Henry, a 60 year old running his 12th marathon at the starting line, and we actually ran most of the first 11 miles together. The start was easy enough, but a lot of congestion, especially at the first 4-5 water stops. At mile 5, I knew I had to use the bathroom, so I ran ahead of the pace group, and was able to get back on the course with them in sight. I stayed with them through mile 8, but knew that I was more tired than I should be. I also had developed an occasional cough, and when I coughed while running, it made me feel very faint. I actually had cough drops in my running belt, and used 6 of them during the race :).

Anyhow, around mile 11, the 4:40 group dropped me going up a hill. But once we reached the top, I was able to get back with them, but somewhere in the next mile, I lost them again. The turnoff for the half-marathoners was around 12.5, and it really thinned out the crowds. About 80 percent of the runners were in the half. I saw the family again at mile 13, and that was the last time I saw them until the finish. I told my wife then, that I would be ok, that I would finish, but it was going to slow down a bit. I did the first half in 2:24, so 4 minutes off the 4:40 pace. After we left downtown again during the 2nd half, my legs continued to go away, and I could feel multiple blisters on my left foot. I just kept running as much as I could, but walk breaks became more common. I remember thinking that I was being passed by a homeless man on an uphill around mile 16, (no worries, I passed one of my own at mile 23!) Around mile 18, I was passed by a runner whom I had talked to in the lobby of the hotel that morning, and I finally became delirious because I suggested that maybe being hit by a car was the easy way to quit without loss of pride. I actually ran a decent mile with him before he shuffled off ahead. The 4:55 pace group passed me, and then I knew I wasn't going to hang on to a sub 5:00 finish. At this point though, a peace came over me. I was running for a great cause, and doing what so few people do. Sure, talking with runners can make you feel like everyone runs marathons, but we know the truth. The average person is lucky if they know that a marathon is 26.2 miles! I never doubted I would finish, but started to wonder how slow it might be. I just kept plugging along, and talked to as many runners that wanted to as I caught them or caught me.
I also learned around mile 20, that you will not turn around to give a missed high five to a little girl at that point of the marathon. I was also passed by the 5:10 pacer, and he was alone, just him and his sign.
I saw some people visiting the ambulance at mile 21, and was glad that it wasnt me. Don't get me wrong, I didn't feel good. In fact, the pain was like a blur from the waist down except for a random sharpness with a blister or one of my knees, but I just keep running and then walking as much as I could. I knew I was crazy when KFC smelled good at mile 22. I have been a vegetarian for 14 years. Finally we could see downtown, and the miles became a little easier.
Once I reached 24, I knew I was very close. I actually started running at the last uphill and ran into the stadium where they announced our name as we finished on the field. My time was nowhere near what I wanted, but I am a MARATHONER.

I finished 26.55 miles in 5:22:30.

I raised money for St. Jude, and I gave everything I had yesterday. That is what I kept telling myself in the last 8-10 miles. I was giving my all, and I was going to finish.

This will not be my last Marathon, as I am thinking I might run Memphis again next December, we will see. For now, I am taking a few days off, and then I am going to help my wife train for her first run/walk Half Marathon which will be the Country Music St Jude in Nashville in April. I am going to run the Tom King Half in Nashville in March, to try to get under the 2 hour mark for the half.

:)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Um. Wow.

For those that have finished a marathon, if I never said it before congrats. Hanging around with runners, can almost make it feel commonplace, but after my experience yesterday, I will never take a marathoner, any marathoner, lightly again! The last place finished yesterday took some 14 hours, and I am in awe. How does one keep fighting for that long?

Oh and Nick, your 100+ mile weeks and your ultras, are even more unimaginable to me now than they were before. Not that I discounted them before, but after feeling how I felt today?

Anyhow, a report on my first full marathon. I had battled a sinus/throat thing for a couple of days beforehand to the point of I took Nyquil on Thursday night to get some sleep. I took Dayquil during the day on Friday, and then nothing for about 18 hours before the race. I am sure that the illness took something out of me, but I will never know how much.

Regardless, race morning came, and we secured a great parking spot by Autozone Stadium. I used the bag check and stayed plenty hydrated. The 8am start was a bit later, so we had plenty of time to kill. The weather was good, but warmer than had been forecasted, but luckily I had packed with options, so went with short sleeves underneath my St. Jude Heroes Singlet. Running for St. Jude was an awesome feeling, as so many of the families would yell out for the heroes as we went past. When we actually went through the St. Jude Hospital Campus at around mile 4, it was so overwhelming. Many of the families and some of the children lined the course, and thanked us all for running for them. Crazy.

Anyways back to the start, after a 6 year old who had finished her cancer treatment just over a year ago sang the national anthem (chills anyone), we were off. I had chosen to run with the 4:40 pace group for as long as I could. I was hoping for at least 18 miles with them, and then do whatever I could to bring it home. I met Henry, a 60 year old running his 12th marathon at the starting line, and we actually ran most of the first 11 miles together. The start was easy enough, but a lot of congestion, especially at the first 4-5 water stops. At mile 5, I knew I had to use the bathroom, so I ran ahead of the pace group, and was able to get back on the course with them in sight. I stayed with them through mile 8, but knew that I was more tired than I should be. I also had developed an occasional cough, and when I coughed while running, it made me feel very faint. I actually had cough drops in my running belt, and used 6 of them during the race :).

Anyhow, around mile 11, the 4:40 group dropped me going up a hill. But once we reached the top, I was able to get back with them, but somewhere in the next mile, I lost them again. The turnoff for the half-marathoners was around 12.5, and it really thinned out the crowds. About 80 percent of the runners were in the half. I saw the family again at mile 13, and that was the last time I saw them until the finish. I told my wife then, that I would be ok, that I would finish, but it was going to slow down a bit. I did the first half in 2:24, so 4 minutes off the 4:40 pace. After we left downtown again during the 2nd half, my legs continued to go away, and I could feel multiple blisters on my left foot. I just kept running as much as I could, but walk breaks became more common. I remember thinking that I was being passed by a homeless man on an uphill around mile 16, (no worries, I passed one of my own at mile 23!) Around mile 18, I was passed by a runner whom I had talked to in the lobby of the hotel that morning, and I finally became delirious because I suggested that maybe being hit by a car was the easy way to quit without loss of pride. I actually ran a decent mile with him before he shuffled off ahead. The 4:55 pace group passed me, and then I knew I wasn't going to hang on to a sub 5:00 finish. At this point though, a peace came over me. I was running for a great cause, and doing what so few people do. Sure, talking with runners can make you feel like everyone runs marathons, but we know the truth. The average person is lucky if they know that a marathon is 26.2 miles! I never doubted I would finish, but started to wonder how slow it might be. I just kept plugging along, and talked to as many runners that wanted to as I caught them or caught me.
I also learned around mile 20, that you will not turn around to give a missed high five to a little girl at that point of the marathon. I was also passed by the 5:10 pacer, and he was alone, just him and his sign.
I saw some people visiting the ambulance at mile 21, and was glad that it wasnt me. Don't get me wrong, I didn't feel good. In fact, the pain was like a blur from the waist down except for a random sharpness with a blister or one of my knees, but I just keep running and then walking as much as I could. I knew I was crazy when KFC smelled good at mile 22. I have been a vegetarian for 14 years. Finally we could see downtown, and the miles became a little easier.
Once I reached 24, I knew I was very close. I actually started running at the last uphill and ran into the stadium where they announced our name as we finished on the field. My time was nowhere near what I wanted, but I am a MARATHONER.

I raised money for St. Jude, and I gave everything I had yesterday. That is what I kept telling myself in the last 8-10 miles. I was giving my all, and I was going to finish.

This will not be my last Marathon, as I am thinking I might run Memphis again next December, we will see. For now, I am taking a few days off, and then I am going to help my wife train for her first run/walk Half Marathon which will be the Country Music St Jude in Nashville in April. I am going to run the Tom King Half in Nashville in March, to try to get under the 2 hour mark for the half.

First off.... WELCOME to the club and CONGRATS! Woot!

Dont worry about your time. I finished about 20-25 minutes later than I expected too. But hey, we are marathoners. It doesnt matter the finish time.

How in the world did KFC smell good. :lol: I recall anything after mile 20 almost made me vomit.

Lastly, Ill be in Nashville again for the Full. Are you going to run or just your wife? I think this year, wdwmagic runners should try and meet a little more successfully this year. I know that Scott (spongebob) and I looked for each other last year, with no success.

Again, CONGRATS.

dreamfinder

Um. Wow.

You made it. Welcome to the club. Doing that first one is the hardest part. And even if by some strange chance, you never do a full again, you did it once. The rush of finishing helps to keep us coming back for more. And a huge part of the population will never have that feeling. And huge props for running for charity.

joel_maxwell

You made it. Welcome to the club. Doing that first one is the hardest part. And even if by some strange chance, you never do a full again, you did it once. The rush of finishing helps to keep us coming back for more. And a huge part of the population will never have that feeling. And huge props for running for charity.
That is the first thing that Sam's asks when I say that an event will cost $95. Not that she wouldnt be happy I was doing it, but it is easier to get behind an event when it is for something like this.

Our local Mercedes is for Kid One Transport. Mercedes donates (i think) vehicles to the organization to go all over the city and take less fortunate kids to their doctors appointments and back. What a wonderful org. I see them sometimes picking kids up. Even if I cant run in this event in the future, Ill walk the sucker just to participate.

Hey, you through me a St Jude's commercial my way, instant tears. Im glad they are a part of Nashville Country Music this year. :D

JillC LI

Steve - Congratulations Marathoner! :sohappy: When I earned the right to claim that title, I told my husband that I wanted it on my gravestone someday, and at the time, I was mostly serious! LOL.

Don't worry about your time - you finished and that's what's important. And you raised money for a good cause. It's hard enough to complete a marathon when you're in peak condition, which you obviously were not, so kudos to you. And I'm impressed that you were able to talk to the people around you at the end - I wanted nothing to do with anyone those last few miles and felt like I was running in a bubble. I had to laugh about the KFC comment.

Take some time off to recuperate from the race and from the sickness. Then jump back into it for the love of the sport. Oh and please do print out your race report that you posted and save it. It's great to look back and read about how you felt in the moment and right afterwards.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Um. Wow.

Oh and Nick, your 100+ mile weeks and your ultras, are even more unimaginable to me now than they were before. Not that I discounted them before, but after feeling how I felt today?:)

Congratulations Steve! :sohappy:

I never shake a stick at the full marathon; it's still a HUGE accomplishment and SUPER hard. I think my best marathon time was 03:40, just this past May. I just like the vomit inducing pain and mind numbing fatigue of the ultra distances :D I like pushing myself WAY beyond what my mind and body can handle.
Great job Steve!

Phonedave

Um. Wow.

Great job!

Welcome to hitting the wall (and then pusing through it)

Hell, at the end of a long run, any food sounds good to me.

Now go get at 26.2 sticker and slap it on your car :D

-dave

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
114+ miles last week, with 2 days off.

I am officially registered for the NJ Ultra Festival, March 24, 2012, 100 miler!

Let's see what the second time around brings...:lookaroun
Looking to sub 24 hours for that shiny silver buckle!

My wife will be logging on here under my "Donald Duck" name at the race (Mrs. Fancy-Pants has herself an iPad 2), and will be posting updates each time I come through headquarters.

"Nick looks good!"
"He's ok, and looking a bit tired..."
"Hunched over and delerious, at mile 80"
"He just crossed/crawled over finishline and is puking."

Cheers folks!

MKCP 1985

Congrats, Steve. :sohappy:

I've always wanted to run that one. Maybe one day I will.

Right now, I'm like the Disney crowd, getting ready for early January, except my race is the Mississippi Blues Marathon.

I did 11 miles yesterday in 2 hours. I started out with plans of taking it easy and doing a 10 mile, 2 hour run, so exceeded my goal, but it wasn't easy! :lol

scorp111

Lastly, Ill be in Nashville again for the Full. Are you going to run or just your wife? I think this year, wdwmagic runners should try and meet a little more successfully this year. I know that Scott (spongebob) and I looked for each other last year, with no success.

Again, CONGRATS.

Yes, I will be in the 1/2 but will be doing it with her at her pace. Should be very interesting.:)

But we definitely should plan a meet-up! Scott and I spent time together pre-race last year, and it was nice to have a familiar face during the time before the start.

Thanks to EVERYONE for the Congratulations, as it does mean a lot. Jill - I totally agree with the tombstone :) and Dave- I have the magnet already :)

I am definitely already planning on doing the full in St. Jude next fall and probably 4 half marathons throughout the year (3 local, one still unknown). I am going to work on getting sub 2 hour for one on March 15th in Nashville. Probably going to do a couple of easy miles tomorrow or the next day, and pick up training around the middle of the month.

Reading everyones' race reports on the St. Jude Marathon facebook reminded me of one of the most touching moments... as I was running through the St. Jude Hospital Campus, there was a young girl - Maybe 8 or 9, and she was holding a sign that said "Because you are running, I am a survivor", still brings tears to my eyes!

fmingo36

Um. Wow.

CONGRATS on your 1st Marathon!!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:
It really is an amazing accomplishment and one that you can brag about for the rest of your life. Having completed my first (at Disney) in January, I know how much time and dedication is needed to train for a marathon. I don't know if I'll ever do another full marathon again so I wear the "MARATHON FINISHER" title with pride.

Texas84

Way to go Scorp! You are an inspiration. My first is January and I'm just hoping to beat 6 hours. 20 miles this Sunday!

joel_maxwell

Yes, I will be in the 1/2 but will be doing it with her at her pace. Should be very interesting.:)

But we definitely should plan a meet-up! Scott and I spent time together pre-race last year, and it was nice to have a familiar face during the time before the start.
Excellent. We will touch base on this later in 2012. You will have to wait on me since yall will finish the half earlier than Ill be finishing the full. Last year I didnt have any family up there so I had no one to talk too afterwards. Just me and my 2 cramping legs. :D I look forward to that event again.

Neglected to mention this past weekend:

13.11 miles Saturday. I ran faster than I needed to according to the experts. 9:20 pace overall.

3 miles yesterday.

Feeling good.

JillC LI

Now go get at 26.2 sticker and slap it on your car :D
-dave

The hubby got me a silver charm necklace that says 26.2 instead of the car sticker :)

My wife will be logging on here under my "Donald Duck" name at the race (Mrs. Fancy-Pants has herself an iPad 2), and will be posting updates each time I come through headquarters.

"Nick looks good!"
"He's ok, and looking a bit tired..."
"Hunched over and delerious, at mile 80"
"He just crossed/crawled over finishline and is puking."

Cheers folks!

That's really cool! I look forward to that final one.

As for me, 4 miles last night on the TM at 9:40 pace. Gonna do 12 miles on the stationary bike tonight.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Today was the 1st ever (and maybe the last :lol:) Eeyore's B-Day 1/2 marathon. I turned 35 today so to celebrate Steve and I ran our very own half with an average pace of 9:46. Its the only half that I'll ever come in second place. :lol: I couldn't even run 1 mile when I was 25.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom