Voices of Liberty to become latest cut?

The Visionary Soul

Every park in WDW has been forced to save a couple million dollars from their operating budgets this fiscal year. Some of these entertainment cutbacks may just be a result of that.

However, I have not heard anything that the Voices of Liberty are doing anything other than moving outside with new, more modern songs, perhaps even with a new name. The contracts are up for renewal, but I think they were already renewed.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Horizons_Full_777.jpg

posting that picture is just wrong :cry:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm in entertainment, and I'm in the same "branch" as VoL so to speak, so my network are people who are in the know, as much as possible given our front-line status. This also means I am a CM and get all my information from other entertainers, so take that for what it is worth. That said, the rumor currently buzzing says nothing of VoL specifically, but that a suit or two from Burbank came to WDW specifically to trim the fat on WDW entertainment.

While that sounds odd since the place has so much less entertainment then in the past, the popular thought is that random things like Royal Majesty atmosphere would be cut, since it is widely thought of as unfocused fluff, or a band from AK or something like that. It seems unlikely that they would go with VoL over all the other things that would disappear with a far less noticeable impact.

That said, anything is possible, and even though VoL is in Candlelight, they hold annual auditions for Christmas-only members, so making them "seasonal" in a way would be very possible and very easy. My two cents is that it won't happen. But two cents doesn't get you much these days.

Thanks.

I've had a few notes today, nothing definitive ... but the main point seems to be that Disney is negotiating with them. They are off the schedule for a few weeks (minimally) ... but they are likely to be back.

Apparently, someone high up the food chain read this thread (shocking!) and doesn't want this to turn into a PR nightmare ... so they very likely will be back. Still, I think someone should bother Jason Garcia with this -- and, no, it won't be me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
... Meanwhile, I spent all day today in Tokyo Disneyland, literally TRYING to find an effect not working.

I didn't. And that includes every eyeball on the tiki gods and the birds of paradise in the tiki room.

The differences are striking.

What you must realize is that not everyone is a one percenter or a faux one percenter (forgetting all the WDW fans who could go to Japan, but are afraid of a foreign culture and people) and to nothing that ever exists in TDR or happens makes any difference to them.

But glad to hear everything is damn near perfect. I too looked for something wrong when I was last in Tokyo ... and I didn't find it either.

It barely takes one minute to find something wrong at the MK. Unless you are one of the Lifestyler whores.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Lamenting Disney Channel Rocks as a "cut" is like lamenting the removal of a malignant tumor as amputation of a body part.

Sorry, but I actually disagree and I would never have watched the crap that was Disney Channel Rocks.

There's plenty of 'entertainment' at WDW that I may not like or may not ever partake in viewing. But see, I look at the big picture. And WDW has been lopping off entertainment in huge measures for years now ... with very little added back.

That's why I don't want to post over in the new parade droolfest thread ... because one parade (which had its budget chopped, naturally) now has to cover for the parade it replaced, two night parades in the same park (one that was destroyed, another that likely will head back to Anaheim), and parades at each of the 3rd and 4th gates.

The trend is quite simply to take, cut and remove as much as possible. So, yeah, I want even the crap to stay until the (stronger word for crap)heads that run WDW are no longer in charge.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Every park in WDW has been forced to save a couple million dollars from their operating budgets this fiscal year. Some of these entertainment cutbacks may just be a result of that.

MAY?!?!

Yeah, that's like saying Disney fanbois may like alcohol, coffee and girls. It is possible ... in theory.

More likely that every part of WDW has been told they need to cut to try and make MM+ look better than the disaster that it is. Let's be real, please.

ILOVEDISNEY

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but VOL was not going to last forever, nor are any of the other rides, attractions, entertainment, or WDW for that matter. Those of you who remember when Uncle Walt was alive and talking about Disneyland and Disney World you will remember he said it would be ever changing and there would be something new every time you visited. I am sure he would have said the same about the other three parks at what is now WDW if he had lived beyond 1965. I think he would be appalled to see the same stale; albeit entertaining acts, 5, 10, or 20+ years later. Change is good as is good old American capitalism.

Last edited:

Lucky

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but VOL was not going to last forever, nor are any of the other rides, attractions, entertainment, or WDW for that matter. Those of you who remember when Uncle Walt was alive and talking about Disneyland and Disney World you will remember he said it would be ever changing and there would be something new every time you visited. I am sure he would have said the same about the other three parks at what is now WDW if he had lived beyond 1965. I think he would be appalled to see the same stale; albeit entertaining acts, 5, 10, or 20+ years later. Change is good as is good old American capitalism.
So Walt would have favored replacing "stale" entertainment with wristbands?

mm52200

See the difference though is that most of these things are being cut with no replacement...is that the kind of change Uncle Walt wanted? Increased prices with reduced offerings? Didn't think so.

Blackburn23

As a kid, I never wanted to sit and watch them sing with so many rides waiting for me, and an adult, I appreciate their amazing sound and love their patriotic classics, a must do every trip now.

WDW1974

Original Poster

What is the purpose of this post (since you post so frequently here)?

Do you think this is at all about a man who has been dead almost 50 years?

Do you want to debate that WDW is incredibly stale and doesn't offer anything new of substance annually?

Do you want to debate the bastardized form of capitalism that is ruining the country ... hell. the planet?

Do you just want to troll and call a musical group that many of us enjoy stale to pick an Internet battle?

So, just what is it?

The Visionary Soul

MAY?!?!

Yeah, that's like saying Disney fanbois may like alcohol, coffee and girls. It is possible ... in theory.

More likely that every part of WDW has been told they need to cut to try and make MM+ look better than the disaster that it is. Let's be real, please.
I said MAY because I was trying to not sound like a know-it-all and I don't have any hard evidence to link it. But next time I will just say it like it is, that is, if it pleases the all-knowing Spirit.

Sesuit2

Anyone know more about this?

Seems to be a very strong 'rumour' going off in the Twitverse that in the continuing paring down of EPCOT entertainment to save money (and make MM+ not appear to be the financial disaster it is) that they are off the schedule as of March 23rd, while in 'contract negotiations'.

If so, I can think of nothing more repugnant as an example of TDO's extreme mismangement, greed and ignorance.

Again, I want to make it clear that I am posting this as a RUMOUR until knowing more. But there are many out there with far closer ties to WDW entertainment than I that I'd love to chime in and either tell me I am wrong or that I, sadly, am right.
As a DVC and an annual passholder we are becoming less and less humored by the dealings of Disney. The Fast Past+ is a prime example of mis- management of money...we still cannot reserve on line!!!! The money we give each year with our maintenance fees for the DVC and the renewal of our annual passes and the lack of "new" additions to all the parks is making us rethink if it is all worth it....now the CM's whose jobs it is to entertain are possibly loosing their jobs...for what purpose...NOTHING..other than probably greasing the paychaecks and the perks of the higher ups!! Shame shame on Disney...this is not what Walt would of wanted!

bhg469

oh, you know the voices of liberty. those multi-millionaires with their robinson cano-esque demands. you can certainly understand why a company with record profits every quarter would have to haggle with them.

seriously, this company (and corporate america) are run by such a bunch of you-know-what bags.
I say let those divas see the unemployment line! With demands like bathroom breaks and fresh water who could ever listen to them... :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom