Voices of Liberty to become latest cut?

mickey2008.1

Would not be surprised if they left. It seems everything in EPCOT is getting axed show wise. France, Italy, China..... and this is just the start. No more street entertainers. The countries being represented are now losing character, and that is what made World Showcase.

PhilharMagician

Here is a quick list of some of the things that come to mind that have been cut over the past 5 or 6 years and there probably are many more to add.

Epcot:
The Krystos (strange but interesting acrobatic group performed near the Fountain)
Cyber Groove ( A Techno band that used to play around Futureworld in Epcot between Jammitors show)
Muppet Mobile Lab (short term in Epcot and moved to HK Disneyland)
Miyuki Candy Artist

Animal Kingdom:
The Beatnics (A techno percussion band that played across from Flame Tree)
Lucky the Dinosaur (short term in AK and sent to HK Disneyland)
Smear, Splat and Dip (comedy act in Dinoland next to Hester and Chester's)
Pipa (talking recycling can like Push)
Seryanan Acrobats in Asia
Karuka Acrobats in Africa

Studios:
Four for a Dollar (Preshow for BatB show)

Magic Kingdom:
Sword in the Stone
Fantasyland Woodwind Quartet

ToTBellHop

Here is a quick list of some of the things that come to mind that have been cut over the past 5 or 6 years and there probably are many more to add.

Epcot:
The Krystos (strange but interesting acrobatic group performed near the Fountain)
Cyber Groove ( A Techno band that used to play around Futureworld in Epcot between Jammitors show)
Miyuki Candy Artist

Animal Kingdom:

Studios:

Magic Kingdom:
Sword in the Stone
To be fair, Disney has added some entertainment during that time, too (not enough to replace all that's been removed, but still...).

Soarin' Over Pgh

Magic Kingdom:
Sword in the Stone

The sword in the stone? What did this used to be? Pardon my ignorance.

Last May there was a cute little.. performance? With a group of dressed up CMs and a handful of little kids trying to pull the sword out. I don't recall if there was a Merlin or not- it was pretty crowded at this intersection and I found it hard to stand still (without getting nailed with strollers, elbowed, or otherwise) and had to keep moving along. :\

mm52200

Epcot:
Miyuki Candy Artist

Animal Kingdom:

Studios:

Magic Kingdom:
Sword in the Stone
Add to that the Ziti Sisters at Epcot, Disney Channel Rocks at Studios, Pixar Pals Countdown to fun Parade at Studios, The opening shows at Studios and DAK, multiple characters from Animal Kingdom available for meet and greets, Pocahontas and her Forest Friends, PUSH at MK, Remy at Les Chefs de France at Epcot, and probably some more I can't remember. All of these cuts unfortunately outweigh the addition of the Royal Majesty Makers and the Storybook Circus Giggle Gang.

ToTBellHop

Add to that the Ziti Sisters at Epcot, Disney Channel Rocks at Studios, Pixar Pals Countdown to fun Parade at Studios, The opening shows at Studios and DAK, multiple characters from Animal Kingdom available for meet and greets, Pocahontas and her Forest Friends, PUSH at MK, Remy at Les Chefs de France at Epcot, and probably some more I can't remember. All of these cuts unfortunately outweigh the addition of the Royal Majesty Makers and the Storybook Circus Giggle Gang.
Lamenting Disney Channel Rocks as a "cut" is like lamenting the removal of a malignant tumor as amputation of a body part.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Absolutely there has been entertainment added and I should have noted that. Unfortunately for every 4 removed there was one replacement and in most cases it was lesser in quality.
Do you (or anyone else for that matter) by chance know what the story was with Miyuki? Was she cut or did she retire?

ToTBellHop

Whether or not people liked the show, it should not be applauded to cut any show that employs four equity singers, 10 dancers, and multiple support cast members with no replacement. It's the principle of it.
~shrug~ It's like closing a Broadway show that doesn't make money. Any equity singer is well aware of how the business works. If anything, I'm sure they were thankful to have a stable job doing such a crappy show for so long with Disney. They would have been cut off much sooner anywhere else.

If you want something that shouldn't be applauded, go with needlessly closing CADCT in January and having two months without a daytime parade at MK to save money. Or closing FotLK for 6 months instead of finding a more reasonable option (they could have started building the new theatre over a year ago had they wanted to).

mthornto

I sing with a group called Nashville Singers. We hosted a a symposium this weekend called Acappella Academy. Our guest clinician was Derric Johnson. He is the person who started Voices of Liberty, auditions the singers, wrote or arranged most of the music and directs the music for the Candlelight Processional. His wife still sings with VOL. All that to say that he was talking about people auditioning and future opportunities for singers at WDW. I'm sure with his wife being one of the singers he would know if they were being cut.

ToTBellHop

wow....really?
Really. I don't think Disney should feel compelled to keep crappy shows. Nor do I think we needed a replacement Excess-Noise-On-Rolling-Stage at the Studios. I'd prefer less of that garbage in front of The Great Movie Ride. If the savings allow them to finally build a new ride at the Studios in 2034, great.

WDWFanDave

Although I have NO inside connection, I'd take a guess that the thought is that guests just won't miss it enough for it to continue, and therefore reduce costs of operation. World Showcase is being reduced to a themed food and shopping area. What else is left? Mold filled old ride in Norway, tired ride in Mexico...and some movies? Am I missing anything? Oh, the meet & greets.
I hope they don't take it away, but it seems as though it's right in line with other changes that are happening.

ABQ

Really. I don't think Disney should feel compelled to keep crappy shows. Nor do I think we needed a replacement Excess-Noise-On-Rolling-Stage at the Studios. I'd prefer less of that garbage in front of The Great Movie Ride. If the savings allow them to finally build a new ride at the Studios in 2034, great.
Can't argue with you about those items in the Studios, agree with you 100%

ToTBellHop

Can't argue with you about those items in the Studios, agree with you 100%
Epcot, on the other hand...they should feel ashamed toward what they are doing to entertainment there (World Showcase in particular). If you build 1/2 of a park specifically with few attractions, and you then dramatically cut entertainment, what are your guests supposed to do? I know I can only eat so much...and while they have some cool merch, it does not frequently change.

PhilharMagician

Do you (or anyone else for that matter) by chance know what the story was with Miyuki? Was she cut or did she retire?

I do not know, but she was in Epcot since 1996 so she had a good run. More than most live entertainment in WDW. Since she was one of the best of about 15 candy artists in the world. I imagine with her talents she could demand decent money for her time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Miyuki

Her personal website
http://www.candymiyuki.com/

Soarin' Over Pgh

With the latest cuts, and now rumors of more cuts... it's like they're trying to only have one decent park in Florida.

And now with the hub work in said park, to expand walkways, stroller space/etc. it really kinda hits home that.. maybe Disney should have stopped at the Magic Kingdom instead of the EPCOT in it's built form (don't really care what you say, it's not what Walt wanted. It wasn't "his vision". His vision wouldn't have held up at all, but then again... is Epcot holding up that well?) MGM/DHS with its now neglected self and AK which was half built to begin with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom