Voices of Liberty to become latest cut?

raymusiccity

I am a huge VoL fan. This rumor makes me sad.
Sad, but, these are changing times. Sort of like the level of entertainment on television. 'Back in the day', New Year's Eve was synonymous with the likes of Guy Lombardo, or Dick Clark's Rockin New Years party. Now it's morphing into forgettable guest stars singing unregognizable rap. The fan base for The Voices of Liberty is dwindling fast. Here's hoping against hope that their 'contract negotiations' are more successful than what happened to poor old 'Push' in Tomorrowland !!

Stevek

Bummer. We will be at WDW for a couple of days and in Epcot on March 24th...was looking forward to seeing them.

MerlinTheGoat

I last visited in February 2012 and their fanbase was certainly not "dwindling" by any stretch, I also highly doubt that has changed much if at all in the past couple of years either. They consistently got quite large crowds surrounding them to listen whenever they perform even during non-busy times of the year (though I will mention that their holiday season crowds are particularly huge when they do Christmas caroling). They're still incredibly popular regardless of season.

And yeah it would be a massive ****up move to get rid of them. Even for someone like myself who is heavily disillusioned by 'murica and annoyed to death by all the ridiculous patriotism squawking nonsense we commonly see by its people (and the absurd things the government and corporations have been allowed to get by with in the name of so called patriotism), this pavilion is still absolutely fantastic. The quality and showmanship of American Adventure are still incredible (despite any possible maintenance problems, still among the best remaining original attractions at any Disney park IMO) and the fantastic vocal performances of the Voices of Liberty make it a great one even with all the crap America gets and deserves. Getting rid of such a fantastic vocal group would be shameful. And (can't believe i'm saying it), supremely unpatriotic. Kind of like attempting to sell Disneyland or WDW themselves (which should tell you to be very afraid for a smaller group like the VoL or even an entire pavilion because nothing is sacred in an Iger run Disney).

I'm glad to hear that this rumor has at least a chance of being untrue or the plans to do away with them scrapped. And i'm also glad that this thread has been read and considered by some top people, perhaps scaring them due to the potential backlash if what Spirit said is true. To any top people at Disney- Don't touch another great element of what's left of the legacy your infinitely more talented and superior predecessors created, further polluting the place with your vile stench of budget cuts or inferior "replacements". It's shameful.

Last edited:

ILOVEDISNEY

What is the purpose of this post (since you post so frequently here)?

Do you think this is at all about a man who has been dead almost 50 years?

Do you want to debate that WDW is incredibly stale and doesn't offer anything new of substance annually?

Do you want to debate the bastardized form of capitalism that is ruining the country ... hell. the planet?

Do you just want to troll and call a musical group that many of us enjoy stale to pick an Internet battle?

So, just what is it?

Chill. Sorry, but I have a life, so I do not post frequently. Obviously, you don't have a life since you have nothing better to do as indicated the number of posts and inane comments you make. Did you even read my post? I guess you are too busy inventing rumors and being supercilious. Do you even know the definition of "stale" in terms of entertainment?

I am not a troll. If you note I have been a member of this forum since 2004. I am an Annual Passholder since 2006 and have made 25 trips to WDW since 1977, and have been to the parks almost 400 times. I am also a member of DIP, so I love to see Disney succeed. I live 2 miles from the MK now and know many CMs, past and present and none of them have heard of your made up rumor. You mention getting your info from Twitter. Are you a Twit?

I am a big fan of VOL and have seen them perform perhaps 50 times, but the truth is the truth, something you seem to ignore. I am not going to debate you, or anyone else. Have a Magical Day!!! I am off to EPCOT for the day, despite VOL not being there, or Miyuki for that matter.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Glad I am not the only one that saw that. She honestly seemed bored the last time we saw her.
Yep and I really think that was behind the departure. I am actually amazed she did it for as long as she did. It must have become mind numbing after all those years - no matter who much you love doing something.

NMBC1993

Seems to me she had mentally checked out of the role for a couple of years. I was not surprised to see her leave. I think once she was not allowed to hand out the candy it really dampened her enthusiasm.

That's horrible! I had no idea. Back when I was a little kid, I use to hang around the Japan pavilion all day waiting for Miyuki to come out (back when she had her push cart). I remember one time during the show I asked if she could create a fox and she wasn't sure if she could, so I just asked for the default (a green dragon). Well after the show she asked when I would be back, as we knew each other very well at this point. The following week as I sat in my usual spot next to the backstage door behind Mitsukoshi, I saw Miyuki come out with a book on animals in one hand and a special present in the other. She told me she spent all week learning how to make a fox just for me, gesturing to the art book. Then later on during New Years Eve as I was waiting for Tapestry of Nations to start I spotted Miyuki and wanted to wish her a Happy New Year. Well it turns out I wasn't the only one, in her hands was a candy angel complete with halo, wings, and a small sign towards the bottom with the year (2000) on it.

I have so many great memories thanks to Miyuki and I only wish I had been able to catch more of her shows over the later years. It's a real shame Disney is not even batting an eyelash as their AMAZINGLY TALENTED cast members walk out the door, either willingly or by force. I wish the best for Miyuki as she truly is a kind, wonderful, talented woman and from the bottom of my heart I want to say arigatou gozaimasu! for all you did for me over the years.

Last edited:

NX2I85

Cutting VoL would be another horrible move by TDO. I hope this turns out to be only a rumor.

*Obligatory VoL story: My 16yo daughter is a Disney fan to the core, but like many 16yos she is not easy to impress. Last September we caught the VoL act, and I remember her sitting next to me on the floor as we listened to the music. She had that enchanted look on her face that was a glimmer of what I would see there back when she was a preschooler meeting characters and such. Sign... VoL would be a difficult loss for me personally. All hail the bottom line, I guess.

kap91

I'm just gonna start a new thread a week claiming some random thing might be being cut and watch the community get itself all in a tizzy over it. I'm sure there is some basis in reality to this (as most rumors) but I find it highly unlikely VOL is being cut - if only because of how much they're used outside of their day roles at the American Adventure. If they are cut I will be most displeased but I'll save it until it actually happens. How about we start a new policy on this board of sitting tight and waiting to discuss until news actually happens? Its one thing to discuss rumors - its another entirely to start caterwauling on rumors about rumors.

I swear its exactly like the tech fanboy sites here - where a rumor Apple is working on a hovercraft mode for the iPhone comes out in December - they raise hell complaining that the iPhone doesn't need that feature, it infringes on their design principles, Apple is falling behind and just copying Android. Come March another rumor comes out saying they're not working on hovercraft mode and all of sudden the entire community is raining hell upon Apple for cheapening out, not being innovative, constantly cutting things etc. when they never were working on it in the first place.

NowInc

This thread being created is hardly the problem..in fact its actually helpful. What DOESNT help is everyone confirming the rumor as true and getting mad about it. Wait to see if its truly confirmed before freaking out. Call and express your concern...help prevent it from happening...don't accept it as fact and just roll over and complain.

Last edited:

backinaction

why is it that disney keeps taking away really talented performers and replacing them with run of the mill dj dance parties? On a seperate but off-topic note, does anyone know if disney is bringing back the performers from FoTLK? It would be a shame if we lost VOL and all the great people that work on FoTLK.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Chill. Sorry, but I have a life, so I do not post frequently. Obviously, you don't have a life since you have nothing better to do as indicated the number of posts and inane comments you make. Did you even read my post? I guess you are too busy inventing rumors and being supercilious. Do you even know the definition of "stale" in terms of entertainment?

I am not a troll. If you note I have been a member of this forum since 2004. I am an Annual Passholder since 2006 and have made 25 trips to WDW since 1977, and have been to the parks almost 400 times. I am also a member of DIP, so I love to see Disney succeed. I live 2 miles from the MK now and know many CMs, past and present and none of them have heard of your made up rumor. You mention getting your info from Twitter. Are you a Twit?

I am a big fan of VOL and have seen them perform perhaps 50 times, but the truth is the truth, something you seem to ignore. I am not going to debate you, or anyone else. Have a Magical Day!!! I am off to EPCOT for the day, despite VOL not being there, or Miyuki for that matter.

Ah, so you're just a fan of mine? I love all of my fans, just not equally.

You live two miles from the MK and you are trying to convince people you have a life? Seriously.

I really am in the mood to take someone apart ... but instead, I'll just state that I largely don't deal in rumour. I did so here based on how much chatter I was hearing added to what I know about Disney cutting in all areas to make up for the MM+ rollout. But making it up? That's just BS.

And I hope you had a truly MAGICal day yourself!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom