Voices of Liberty to become latest cut?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh and while it still isn't confirmed, I have it on good authority that the VoL will be on a hiatus (weeks, possibly longer) and return at some point later this spring.

But it is not confirmed and in light of what has been going on with Disney entertainers, I feel it is worth putting it out to find out what others know.

fbb

Oh and while it still isn't confirmed, I have it on good authority that the VoL will be on a hiatus (weeks, possibly longer) and return at some point later this spring.

But it is not confirmed and in light of what has been going on with Disney entertainers, I feel it is worth putting it out to find out what others know.

Possibly unrelated question: are the 'entertainers' in the Indiana Jones show part of the same category?

LongtimeReader

Thanks.

I've had a few notes today, nothing definitive ... but the main point seems to be that Disney is negotiating with them. They are off the schedule for a few weeks (minimally) ... but they are likely to be back.

Apparently, someone high up the food chain read this thread (shocking!) and doesn't want this to turn into a PR nightmare ... so they very likely will be back. Still, I think someone should bother Jason Garcia with this -- and, no, it won't be me.
Yeah, I believe they go off the schedule annually, though I could be wrong. Contract negotiations are always interesting in entertainment. A crap shoot sometimes! But I'm pretty confident that VoL is one of the safer acts in WDW. There are tons more that would save the same, if not more, and would barely be noticed by most.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The latter ... but not being allowed to give her creations away definitely changed the complexion of the relationship!
Any idea what the catalyst to that was? I think I know the official reason (safe food handling procedure) but I don't know where that came from all of a sudden.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Any idea what the catalyst to that was? I think I know the official reason (safe food handling procedure) but I don't know where that came from all of a sudden.

My guess is the lawyers ... everything bad always starts with them (worse than the money people, really), but I don't know that as a fact.

But this is the company that stopped giving after-meal chocolates out under the excuse that some people were allergic. The same company with Mommys so nuts that they wanted the fake peanuts in Storybook Circus taken out because they thought it would kill their little darlings with peanut allergies.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Spoke with a friend who is in VoL today. She said no one is certain what will happen. New contracts have not been signed yet.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if VoL became "seasonal entertainment", appearing only at Candlelight and coming out to sing some Christmas carols during Holidays Around the World.

If they get axed it would be yet another show that employed Equity performers that gets axed.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My guess is the lawyers ... everything bad always starts with them (worse than the money people, really), but I don't know that as a fact.

But this is the company that stopped giving after-meal chocolates out under the excuse that some people were allergic. The same company with Mommys so nuts that they wanted the fake peanuts in Storybook Circus taken out because they thought it would kill their little darlings with peanut allergies.

I actually was there for the Peanut freak-out. One of the best Stupid Guest moments I've personally witnessed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I kind of assumed that a disgruntle guest that did not get a candy dragon reported the violation.

baymenxpac

no one has "confirmed" anything. '74 is being very upfront with the fact that he's merely heard whispers and trying to find out what others know. but if you've been on this board long enough and don't know that "where there's smoke, there's fire" pertains to the things he hears, i don't know what to say to you at this point.

@NowInc , let me ask you this: why would this company even have to debate keeping the VoL in the american adventure? as a WDW vacationer, you're keeping peppered with cost hikes that far exceed the rate of inflation, disney is reporting mega profits every single fiscal quarter. so why is this even an issue, especially when it is an integral ingredient to the show quality that's supposed to separate disney from other theme parks? i'm offended that disney even feels they have to negotiate with these performers. how outrageous can their demands be? the bottom line is this is classic corporate BS of trying to bleed every last penny of profit, while alienating your employees and fan base; penny wise, pound foolish.

@kap91 , i agree that the online community can be very "complain-y," for lack of a better made up word. it happens everywhere. i'm a die hard sports fan. my timeline is constantly a stream of LOLMets or something (LOL we signed R.A. Dickey to a minor league deal, then LOL we traded Cy Young award winner R.A. Dickey! STUPID METS). it's one of the more inane things about social media, where every thought that magically pops into someone's head is thrown out into the ether for consumption. that said, i find the criticism disney takes in these threads to be very fair. spirit's threads usually encourage a higher level of debate (no OMG SPLASH MOUNTAIN IN DOWN IN JANUARY! MY TRIP IS RUINEDDDDD!*@#*!~~~), and it's usually populated with people -- such as myself -- who truly remember when WDW was an experience lightyears beyond anything that was being offered domestically. it simply isn't the case anymore, and nonsense like this acts as a good microcosm. if they decide to retain VoL, people will come back to this thread and go, "see! all a big stink for nothing!" but the fact that there are even whispers of cutting them offends me as someone who has and whose family has dropped a lot of money in these parks over the years.

NowInc

@NowInc , let me ask you this: why would this company even have to debate keeping the VoL in the american adventure? as a WDW vacationer, you're keeping peppered with cost hikes that far exceed the rate of inflation, disney is reporting mega profits every single fiscal quarter. so why is this even an issue, especially when it is an integral ingredient to the show quality that's supposed to separate disney from other theme parks? i'm offended that disney even feels they have to negotiate with these performers. how outrageous can their demands be? the bottom line is this is classic corporate BS of trying to bleed every last penny of profit, while alienating your employees and fan base; penny wise, pound foolish.

However, no one knows for sure what is going on, other than a rumor from a generally reliable source. But even he (sometimes by his own admission) isn't all knowing...more "in the know" than most...yes..but not clairvoyant. That aside, lets assume there is in fact negotiations. No smart business will just "accept" any possible things brought to the table and just say ok..no matter how big they are. If the contractors are making demands (may be large, may be small), and disney just signs without a negotiation process, it could start a slippery slope of all other entertainment entities pushing more and more, seeing how one group got something without a "fight". Now, I agree that its a penny in a large jar of quaters for Disney, and I would rather it be that there is no front line change to a guests experience at all, but this sort of things happens all the time. Sometimes it ends good, sometimes it ends bad (bye, PUSH). This is in no way a defense of any part of this, it should be a non issue (and hey, it just may in fact be that), but to be offended over a negotiation process (a common thing in all industries), isn't really the right emotion to have..at least in my opinion. I completely see where you are coming from, but I also see the corporations angle.

mm52200

I know people are questioning entertainment cuts and what not and while I have no info on VOL, I can confirm that the Citizens of Hollywood were re-signed so they are definitely safe. Hopefully VOL won't be cut.

baymenxpac

However, no one knows for sure what is going on, other than a rumor from a generally reliable source. But even he (sometimes by his own admission) isn't all knowing...more "in the know" than most...yes..but not clairvoyant. That aside, lets assume there is in fact negotiations. No smart business will just "accept" any possible things brought to the table and just say ok..no matter how big they are. If the contractors are making demands (may be large, may be small), and disney just signs without a negotiation process, it could start a slippery slope of all other entertainment entities pushing more and more, seeing how one group got something without a "fight". Now, I agree that its a penny in a large jar of quaters for Disney, and I would rather it be that there is no front line change to a guests experience at all, but this sort of things happens all the time. Sometimes it ends good, sometimes it ends bad (bye, PUSH). This is in no way a defense of any part of this, it should be a non issue (and hey, it just may in fact be that), but to be offended over a negotiation process (a common thing in all industries), isn't really the right emotion to have..at least in my opinion. I completely see where you are coming from, but I also see the corporations angle.

i think we're in agreement. obviously, no company is going to hand someone a blank check. and of course, there should be some process before agreeing on a new contract. this whole thing just strikes me as ominous though. i've watched far too many offerings disappear from WDW over the last 10-15 years for me to not expect the worst, ya know?

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
If people knew how little VoL (and in fact, all of Disney's equity performers) were paid, they would question why exactly Disney would feel the need to "negotiate" with them.

There's a reason just about all of them appear in multiple shows around the city.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I think you might have found the underlying reason as to why VOL is being abolished. Without a doubt, Disney is progressively biased and they believe that America’s heritage and principles are the root cause of this nation’s and the world’s woes. I would imagine that by the time everything is said and done, The USA Pavilion will go from emphasizing America’s past exceptionalism to something that resembles an “apology tour” which expounds on this country’s misdeeds and darker periods in history.
Curious, do you honestly believe the prattle you're sharing here, or is this some type of schtick?

Or are you just being a judgmental troglodyte again?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spoke with a friend who is in VoL today. She said no one is certain what will happen. New contracts have not been signed yet.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if VoL became "seasonal entertainment", appearing only at Candlelight and coming out to sing some Christmas carols during Holidays Around the World.

If they get axed it would be yet another show that employed Equity performers that gets axed.

Thanks for the first-hand update.

I have since learned that Disney has a new act lined up to take VoL's place during their hiatus ... hopefully, that is all it will be.

But you all must understand that your MAGIC Bands are not paying off on the bottom line and things need to be cut to make Bob, Tom, Jay, Nick, Meg, Georgie and Co all look much smarter than they are.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think you might have found the underlying reason as to why VOL is being abolished. Without a doubt, Disney is progressively biased and they believe that America’s heritage and principles are the root cause of this nation’s and the world’s woes. I would imagine that by the time everything is said and done, The USA Pavilion will go from emphasizing America’s past exceptionalism to something that resembles an “apology tour” which expounds on this country’s misdeeds and darker periods in history.
Except that they are not being abolished.

Kinda blows a hole in your hypothesis.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks for the first-hand update.

I have since learned that Disney has a new act lined up to take VoL's place during their hiatus ... hopefully, that is all it will be.

But you all must understand that your MAGIC Bands are not paying off on the bottom line and things need to be cut to make Bob, Tom, Jay, Nick, Meg, Georgie and Co all look much smarter than they are.
Is it by chance this act?

WDW1974

Original Poster

I love posts like this, truly.

Right now, I find the AA sad because it showcases just what a great nation we were (past tense) and all the amazing things we as a people accomplished (again, past tense) and focuses on rights and freedoms that we once held dear (again, past tense) ... and I somehow find it fitting that the attraction ends with a lot of disgusting and disgraced athletes/celebs in a montage that isn't supposed to be ironic, yet is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom