Voices of Liberty to become latest cut?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Spoke with a friend who is in VoL today. She said no one is certain what will happen. New contracts have not been signed yet.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if VoL became "seasonal entertainment", appearing only at Candlelight and coming out to sing some Christmas carols during Holidays Around the World.

If they get axed it would be yet another show that employed Equity performers that gets axed.
That would indeed suck. VoL are one of my favorite groups...hearing them puts me in an Epcot frame of mind.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not 100% positive, but I did hear something about jazz ... I have never seen said group.
I lucked into them about 2-1/2 years ago when VoL was on hiatus for a few weeks. At the time I was quite worried that VoL went the way of the dinosaur. @wdwmagic filled me into the fact that they we just a fill in during vacation.

hokielutz

If people knew how little VoL (and in fact, all of Disney's equity performers) were paid, they would question why exactly Disney would feel the need to "negotiate" with them.

There's a reason just about all of them appear in multiple shows around the city.

Sadly, professional careers in classical music performance ensembles are not as well paid as some might think.

berlioz70

I skimmed the thread so this may have been already pointed out... the group is not going on a hiatus, they are going into rehearsal. They go through rehearsal periods a couple times a year, and this rehearsal involves bringing in a new CM (from DLR, previously mentioned in the this thread) and a general freshen up of songs, and learning new songs.

This short break is nothing new. There is talk that the group will soon be getting more center stage focus, not less.

Last edited:

prberk

I hope this rumor does not come true. The Voices of Liberty is truly one of the nice, serene parts of Walt Disney World (and even EPCOT) that gives a nice balance to the loud, crazy things all around. They are brilliant, and I seek them out every time. I also agree that their loss would also affect other areas (like patriotic holiday flag retreat ceremonies) in subtle but meaningful ways.

I think of them like the Hoop-De-Doo Revue and the flag retreat ceremony itself: some of the nice, non-character-driven special touches that endeared me to Walt Disney World in the first place.

Please keep them.

EDIT: Just saw post above mine, about rehearsals and bring them out front more. Hope this is true. They are wonderful.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I skimmed the thread so this may have been already pointed out... the group is not going on a hiatus, they are going into rehearsal. They go through rehearsal periods a couple times a year, and this rehearsal involves bringing in a new CM (from DLR, previously mentioned in the this thread) and a general freshen up of songs, and learning new songs.

This short break is nothing new. There is talk that the group will soon be getting more center stage focus, not less.

Actually, I love playing semantics, but your info does appear correct ... BUT they will be on a hiatus while they are in rehearsals just to get the words right.

case88

Jason Garcia ‏@Jason_Garcia 6m
This worked out so well last time.....But Disney says there is "no truth" to rumors that Voices of Liberty will leave Epcot. cc: @cbsav82

Me: "Looks like there are some rumors online that Voices of Liberty, an act into Epcot’s World Showcase, might not have its...." (1/2)
"contract renewed. Can u tell me if their contract is going to expire soon? And are any negotiations happening to extend or renew it?" (2/2)

Disney spokeswoman: "There is no truth to the rumor....The Voices of Liberty are one of the most popular entertainment groups...." (1/2)
".... at Walt Disney World and guests will continue to see them at Epcot." (2/2)

Jason Garcia ‏@Jason_Garcia 4m
Of course, things can always change. So I've been told in the past.

JimboJones123

Thanks for the first-hand update.

I have since learned that Disney has a new act lined up to take VoL's place during their hiatus ... hopefully, that is all it will be.

But you all must understand that your MAGIC Bands are not paying off on the bottom line and things need to be cut to make Bob, Tom, Jay, Nick, Meg, Georgie and Co all look much smarter than they are.
Efffff ----- ort will be needed to make those magic bands raise funds better.

JimboJones123

I love posts like this, truly.

Right now, I find the AA sad because it showcases just what a great nation we were (past tense) and all the amazing things we as a people accomplished (again, past tense) and focuses on rights and freedoms that we once held dear (again, past tense) ... and I somehow find it fitting that the attraction ends with a lot of disgusting and disgraced athletes/celebs in a montage that isn't supposed to be ironic, yet is.
And Lance Armstrong.

mousehockey37

Anyone know more about this?

Seems to be a very strong 'rumour' going off in the Twitverse that in the continuing paring down of EPCOT entertainment to save money (and make MM+ not appear to be the financial disaster it is) that they are off the schedule as of March 23rd, while in 'contract negotiations'.

If so, I can think of nothing more repugnant as an example of TDO's extreme mismangement, greed and ignorance.

Again, I want to make it clear that I am posting this as a RUMOUR until knowing more. But there are many out there with far closer ties to WDW entertainment than I that I'd love to chime in and either tell me I am wrong or that I, sadly, am right.

As a former music teacher, and a professional trumpet player (still), I love to advocate on the arts. Hearing things like this absolutely kills me. I'm a drum corps nut, if you don't know what drum corps is, look no further than EPCOT's own, defunct, FUTURECORPS. That was drum corps in mini form.

Our American society has had such a push in the technology and medical worlds as well as being college educated, that we're cutting jobs that will be missed. Disney offers things other parks don't. Six Flags doesn't have a Main St. Philharmonic, and that's something aesthetic that sets the park alone in its quest. FutureCorps, the Philharmonic, the Trolley Show, and other interactive strolling units that are out amongst the people, are things that you can't replace with a recording. There are video's of the piano player outside Casey's where he has kids come up and play certain notes on the piano, making it interactive and special. Also, it's just awesome to see some of the skills that these people possess.

The fact that Disney wants to "save money" and is willing to cut another ensemble is sad. Soon, if Disney keeps this up, Main Street USA will be a boring street where no one will understand the true meanings of why Main St. is actually there. Has society lost touch with the arts? Not everywhere, but it's getting darn close. As I sit and watch videos of FutureCorps and the Main St. Philharmonic, I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea and that they're going to walk on by, but there are a lot of times where there will be no crowd and you'll have a packed area by the time the show is done. It's amazing to see how many people will gain an appreciation for something, if they're exposed to it.

For any of you that think cutting the arts in Disney (or anywhere) is good, I will call you a hypocrite now. If you like what you hear on the radio, that's music. If you like a certain dance or painting or fireworks, they're all made by artists. The fact that you are supporting taking away the dreams of people who phenomenal in something other than "mainstream" careers (ie computer science, nursing, etc) just goes to show the ignorance of society. Also, don't forget that there people out there that medically are unable to take these standard tests that the schools force upon them that are now determining their future fates. I may have a student who can't comprehend a meaning of a math equation, but they can play a clarinet better than any pro I've ever heard... This is their release, their way to be heard, and their way to contribute to the world they live in.

I challenge Disney to BRING BACK the groups of the past and extend the contracts of ones they are proposing to stop. Let the voices sing, the horns play, the art flow... Show the world that the Arts are not just something that can be done with technology but that real people have real talents.

Kungaloosh1937

Hey guys,

Just to clear something up. "Contracts" does not mean what you think it does. These are Equity singers that are cast members of the Walt Disney Company. They INDIVIDUALLY sign contracts for a length of time (generally one year).

There is no "negotiating with the VoL." Each individual is either offered a new contract every year or they are not. If a person is not re-signed, they will be giving the contract to a different person. This is NOT a third party company. If the VoL go away, that is Disney's decision, period. It is their show.

Push was a third party company that Disney signed on - a totally different thing. VoL, Citizens, all the stage shows are DISNEY SHOWS. So, if VoL goes away, there is only one place to point the finger.

Bolt

Hey guys,

Just to clear something up. "Contracts" does not mean what you think it does. These are Equity singers that are cast members of the Walt Disney Company. They INDIVIDUALLY sign contracts for a length of time (generally one year).

There is no "negotiating with the VoL." Each individual is either offered a new contract every year or they are not. If a person is not re-signed, they will be giving the contract to a different person. This is NOT a third party company. If the VoL go away, that is Disney's decision, period. It is their show.

Push was a third party company that Disney signed on - a totally different thing. VoL, Citizens, all the stage shows are DISNEY SHOWS. So, if VoL goes away, there is only one place to point the finger.
I don't think anyone was disputing anything you said.

Kungaloosh1937

People have been talking as if there are negotiations with the group, as if they are a third party company. They are not. "Contract negotiations" with individual Equity performers have nothing to do with whether or not a show is going to be closed.

Snowflake82

People have been talking as if there are negotiations with the group, as if they are a third party company. They are not. "Contract negotiations" with individual Equity performers have nothing to do with whether or not a show is going to be closed.

Thank you for clarifying. Not sure why, but I always thought that VoL was a third party group that contracted with Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom