Voices of Liberty to become latest cut?

LongtimeReader

I've had a few folks email and say that they don't believe Disney will let them go ... or, if they do, they'll just go on a hiatus and return down the line.

But while sources are within the company, they are not in Entertainment ... so, hopefully someone who is can offer more insight.

I'm in entertainment, and I'm in the same "branch" as VoL so to speak, so my network are people who are in the know, as much as possible given our front-line status. This also means I am a CM and get all my information from other entertainers, so take that for what it is worth. That said, the rumor currently buzzing says nothing of VoL specifically, but that a suit or two from Burbank came to WDW specifically to trim the fat on WDW entertainment.

While that sounds odd since the place has so much less entertainment then in the past, the popular thought is that random things like Royal Majesty atmosphere would be cut, since it is widely thought of as unfocused fluff, or a band from AK or something like that. It seems unlikely that they would go with VoL over all the other things that would disappear with a far less noticeable impact.

That said, anything is possible, and even though VoL is in Candlelight, they hold annual auditions for Christmas-only members, so making them "seasonal" in a way would be very possible and very easy. My two cents is that it won't happen. But two cents doesn't get you much these days.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Can I just be the first to say on this occasion, as is now the norm for such threads, I personally couldn't give a twopenny fart if they get cut as I didnt watch their performance and give not a fig for that type of music. © Fanboys responding to most things I find contentious.

After all its now about the one rather than the many. And Disney is a business you know.

StageFrenzy

Can I just be the first to say on this occasion, as is now the norm for such threads, I personally couldn't give a twopenny fart if they get cut as I didnt watch their performance and give not a fig for that type of music. © Fanboys responding to most things I find contentious.

After all its now about the one rather than the many. And Disney is a business you know.

Is this because you have a red coat hanging in your closet?

RSoxNo1

I'm in entertainment, and I'm in the same "branch" as VoL so to speak, so my network are people who are in the know, as much as possible given our front-line status. This also means I am a CM and get all my information from other entertainers, so take that for what it is worth. That said, the rumor currently buzzing says nothing of VoL specifically, but that a suit or two from Burbank came to WDW specifically to trim the fat on WDW entertainment.

While that sounds odd since the place has so much less entertainment then in the past, the popular thought is that random things like Royal Majesty atmosphere would be cut, since it is widely thought of as unfocused fluff, or a band from AK or something like that. It seems unlikely that they would go with VoL over all the other things that would disappear with a far less noticeable impact.

That said, anything is possible, and even though VoL is in Candlelight, they hold annual auditions for Christmas-only members, so making them "seasonal" in a way would be very possible and very easy. My two cents is that it won't happen. But two cents doesn't get you much these days.
Does anyone remember the thread where we listed all of the cuts over the years? I think it's time that resurfaced.

wogwog

yes... and there was going to be a flag burning ritual as well ....all because of MM+ of course

:banghead:
You are more trusting than me of Disney and cuts. Small things that Disney thinks won't keep folks away but will save a nickel continue to happen. Push, Ziti Sisters, AK Parade soon, Studios Parade not long ago, Mickey Philharmonic Band from 7 to 5 days a week and using recorded music for Flag Retreat on Friday and Saturday.
All of the street performers like Citizens of Main St and other performers at other parks should be nervous.

I hope your trusting side is correct and I am very wrong. You seem to think it is because of all the new MM stuff. I think it is a broad program to raise prices a little anywhere they can and cut a little here and there.

danv3

I hope this is not true. This would be a pretty significant cut.

If more entertainment has to be cut (and I'm not sure that it does, but let's assume Disney thinks so) there are other cuts that would be considerably less of a loss than this.

FerretAfros

When I was there 2 weeks ago, we chatted with one of the CMs we recognized from the DL version of the group, who mentioned that another former DL singer just signed a contract and would be coming to WDW "soon". I can't imagine they would be signing contracts this late in the game, if they were planning to cut the group

Perhaps the cuts will be similar to what happened with the Dapper Dans a few years back, where they got all new performers at a cheaper rate. I would be sad to see this, since I recognize so many VoL CMs from previous visits, but it's better than having them completely cut

And in addition to Candlelight, VoL is a must-see for many Magic Music Days choral groups. If they got cut, I suspect WDW would loose many of these profitable groups. Additionally, the occasionally group gets hired to do special events (I saw them in DC just before last year's Marine Corps Marathon), which would bring Disney additional money

tissandtully

I honestly would let this go through just to see the outrage from the community. TDO needs a swift kick in the . Also, when are they going to remove Lance Armstrong from The American Adventure?

ABQ

I hope, with regards to the VoL that your assumptions are correct, but that doesn't make me any happier knowing that some suits from Burbank feel Entertainment has fat worth trimming. Whether it be an unfocused fluff element or a very focused band element in the AK, without omnimovier like people eating D or E ticket attractions in Epcot or the AK or HS, more, cheap but fun entertainment is a very welcome distraction for people. I know the easy money making thing to do is to open another beer, wine or food stand, but frankly, something like the Limoncello stand in Italy is plussed when you walk out the side door into a performance by the Ziti Sisters. Too bad they're no longer performing though.

Last edited:

GTIDMB

michael-scott-no.gif

SoupBone

While this is all fine and your right, this issue isn't really about VoL by itself, but rather the overall cutting off these types of musical acts by management. Do you have any sidewalk musical act you enjoy in the parks? It might just be the next on the chopping block.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom