Universe of Energy being unrepainted!

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
I highly doubt the radok screens will ever come back...however....that doesn't mean an interesting preshow can be done in different colors and patterns on the 5 flat projection screens. We need a better, more fluid preshow explaining all the different sources of energy....not a dry....bland graphics presentation......the original preshow was quite dry in narration...its graphics weren't stellar....and it was only good due to the radok screens.

The theater 1 film could possibly use the original animated film made for the UoE which would remain timeless...or a cutting edge graphic presentation about the major use of energy...fossil fuels....though the graphics may become outdated within a few years

I would love to see the Radok screens come back, I have a feeling that technology has improved enough that it would make them reasonable to maintain. And they would be mind-blowing with the right presentation.

The one thing that I think should be retained that has come out of Ellen's Energy Adventure is the Big Bang sequence. Expanded to fill most of the Theater 1 movie, with modern graphics and rendering, and without Bill Nye and Ellen, of course. It puts the Universe in "Universe of Energy"

Two words, John Williams! :D

Nah, I have him in mind for either Spaceship Earth or Horizons.

dandaman

Nah, I have him in mind for either Spaceship Earth or Horizons.

I don't know... well, SSE and Horizons most certainly, but the Pops might be able to pull off a grand score, not only for the attraction but the BGM loops etc. as well. Then again Broughton's already proven himself to be accomplished at it, so my original comment still stands. :D

Gavin Greenaway would be interesting; I doubt many of us have heard him beyond all the 2000-oriented stuff. Also my first reaction to the Hans Zimmer idea was that it might be a little over-the-top, but considering the sheer range of his works, he might end up being the best candidate...

...Would someone please redo this thing already?! :lol:

EpcoTim

There's no way it will ever get a real update anytime soon. Id eat off the floor of the Mission Space exit like a dog if they did.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
If stealing from yourself was a crime, Hans Zimmer would have the death penalty

What?

If I take your meaning correctly, James Horner is a much worse offender. I've never noticed anything about any of Hans Zimmers scores that would indicate borrowing material from his previous works.

Jasonflz

How about James Newton Howard. He could at least make UoE emotional.:rolleyes:

Ellen will kill Bill kinda like Will Smith and the dog in I am Legend.

castevens

What?

If I take your meaning correctly, James Horner is a much worse offender. I've never noticed anything about any of Hans Zimmers scores that would indicate borrowing material from his previous works.

I've studied the works of all the major motion picture composers and have seen John Williams and Hans Zimmer many times in person. While I may not be an expert by any means, I have noticed many of Hans Zimmers pieces, including the Last Samurai, the Dark Knight (admittedly alongside James Newton Howard), and several others (The Rock, perhaps?) have been entirely based around a simple ascending four note scale.

All the big guys do it, but since his music is almost limited to brass and strings in many cases, it comes out harsher because there's less variation.

EpcotServo

If we're just throwing music composers out there, I'll throw in Robert Rodriguez.

Spaceship Earth could use some deep guitar sounds...

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
I've studied the works of all the major motion picture composers and have seen John Williams and Hans Zimmer many times in person. While I may not be an expert by any means, I have noticed many of Hans Zimmers pieces, including the Last Samurai, the Dark Knight (admittedly alongside James Newton Howard), and several others (The Rock, perhaps?) have been entirely based around a simple ascending four note scale.

All the big guys do it, but since his music is almost limited to brass and strings in many cases, it comes out harsher because there's less variation.

Okay, I can see that, but I think those qualities might actually serve to the advantage of a new Universe of Energy score.

WDITrent

Does anyone have an update of the actual progress of the un-repainting of UoE? It's not that I don't like getting off topic, but... ;)

castevens

Okay, I can see that, but I think those qualities make actually serve to the advantage of a score for a new Universe of Energy score.

Actually you're absolutely right. In fact, I don't mind when composers "borrow" from previous works (I just think its funny) because I could never write ONE score, nevermind dozens/hundreds. Anyway, I think that any of the above mentioned composers has the talent to come up with a very fitting piece for UoE.

John Williams gets reamed for his "simple" original score for the original Harry Potter movie, but I think it was very fitting to the mystical magical feel of the movie, while not being an excellent or emotional piece.

Anyway, I'd prefer Gavin Greenaway, and I think his Reflections of Earth is one of the most Disneyesque songs ever.

castevens

Does anyone have an update of the actual progress of the un-repainting of UoE? It's not that I don't like getting off topic, but... ;)

Latest update in the thread:

Um, no, they were still painting it at that point. I think I was there on Wednesday (April 1st), and there was still plenty of painting to be done on the right side. It looked like they've still been working on the left side, too, getting the right shades of red-to-orange-to-yellow. Not only that, but from what I saw from the Monorail, they're painting that very back section yellow, that has previously been blue, and had the mirror tiles on it up until 1996.

hpyhnt 1000

Sorry, no pics, but I was there last weekend, and the west side of the pavilion appears to be done. Work had just started on the east side, with the first section having received its initial undercoat of red paint. I imagine at this point they're another section or two along the building. From what I could see with only one side done, it should look pretty nice when its done. :)

EDIT: Oops, someone beat me with a more recent update! Ah well, you get the idea. :)

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Actually you're absolutely right. In fact, I don't mind when composers "borrow" from previous works (I just think its funny) because I could never write ONE score, nevermind dozens/hundreds. Anyway, I think that any of the above mentioned composers has the talent to come up with a very fitting piece for UoE.

I think what is especially appealing to me about Hans Zimmer for UoE is twofold:

1) He can do an awesome score with a very prominent, pulsing beat. That's what UoE could be, just place just throbbing with energy, and he could certainly give the music a latent, underlying energy, making the place seemingly on the verge of just letting loose with power, give the energy it's own presence.

2) And he excels at writing kind of quirky, oddball, off-the-wall scores, which would give Universe of Energy just the most perfect mood to it that's just a little bit strange, eclectic, and eccentric. By this criteria, I think my second choice for scoring UoE would be Danny Elfman.

John Williams gets reamed for his "simple" original score for the original Harry Potter movie, but I think it was very fitting to the mystical magical feel of the movie, while not being an excellent or emotional piece.

To be honest, I think that was his last best, truly iconic John Williams score, in the same vein as Close Encounters, Raiders, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc.

Anyway, I'd prefer Gavin Greenaway, and I think his Reflections of Earth is one of the most Disneyesque songs ever.

If he were able to continually score at the level of amazingness that is Reflections of Earth, I would be more than happy for him to do the whole park!

HMF

How about James Newton Howard. He could at least make UoE emotional.:rolleyes:.
Sounds like a good idea and they have to bring back the two songs.
As for the exterior BGM loop
Original UOE unload & exit music
Ellen's Enrgy Adventure theme

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom