Universe of Energy being unrepainted!

EPCOT Explorer

Matpez brings us this via Facebook...:wave:

4729763-2d31c50bf95c4f4a1ca820ed53608f69.49d795f7-scaled.jpg

I guess the bugs are pretty bad if they are anticipating E Stops.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A few random things

1.) What has become of the corporate lounge that's on the right side of the building?

Still there so far as I know, though the upper level with the Diorama windows was closed whilst Exxon Mobil were still there I believe.

2.) So the CM control booth that could be seen in theater 2 in the original version of the ride is still there right? They just removed the monitors above the CM and the three maps that sat on the wall next to the control booth?

The booth is still there and working - behind a painted flat.

3.) Interesting that the curtains rise along with the center screen that shows Ellen winning Jeopardy at the end of the ride....either its running on a 1982 program...or eventually they will have a better use for those walls again. :lookaroun

A new one, this. The 1982 program had the curtains already opened as you re-entered theatre one. The whole idea was to trick guests into thinking it was a 3rd theatre, with it only being apparent it wasn`t when the lights came up. One of many little tricks lost in 1996.
For the record, Theater 1 is much bigger than Theater 2 because of it's shape. You have to remember when looking at that massive building, MOST of that is Theater 1.
Kind of, but in area not shape. T1 takes up only the central section of the building. Time for a new plan me thinks :D

Attachments

• UoE ground level planweb.jpg
    UoE ground level planweb.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 107

EPCOT Explorer

A few random things

Still there so far as I know, though the upper level with the Diorama windows was closed whilst Exxon Mobil were still there I believe.

The booth is still there and working - behind a painted flat.

A new one, this. The 1982 program had the curtains already opened as you re-entered theatre one. The whole idea was to trick guests into thinking it was a 3rd theatre, with it only being apparent it wasn`t when the lights came up. One of many little tricks lost in 1996.
Kind of, but in area not shape. T1 takes up only the central section of the building. Time for a new plan me thinks :D
Martin...You amaze me.:D:eek:

Shame about the 1996 loss of the new Theater. Must have been surprising.

jt04

Martin...You amaze me.:D:eek:

Shame about the 1996 loss of the new Theater. Must have been surprising.

Yes it was awesome. It was the first moving theater cars I experienced and I did not know I was in a ride vehicle until it started moving. Amazing amazing experience.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Why did they take those tiles down? Were they that hard to maintain? :shrug:

I remember some EPCOT leader saying sometime that they were difficult to maintain.

So I rode Universe of Energy a few days ago, right after it had come back up from being 101. Here goes:

Pre-show: First off, the dinosaur topiaries are no longer there, to answer that question. I didn't notice that anything else was different as far as the trees goes. First thing I notice inside is that we now have a Universe of New Carpet Smell. The interior signs are gone, that used to be on either wall. Before the show, a Cast Member came out to explain that they're still in test and adjust mode, that the attraction could go down at any time. The film started okay, with just that one-second lag on that second screen from the left. Once it got to the point where Ellen announces her favorite TV show is coming on, the audio cut out for about 3-5 minutes. The CM came out and said they're trying to get it fixed, and didn't know if they'd have to close it or not. It came back on right around the "dream sequence" bit, but the audio in the rest of the room that makes it sound like the audience is throwing out suggestions was very low.

Theater 1- Six-pack! (That one's for you, Martin!) I toodled on right up front dead center. I don't think this has been there before, but on the left side up towards the ceiling near the apex/finale screen, there was what looks like a miniature football goal sticking out of the wall. I have no idea what it could be for, except to punt little footballs for a field goal right into the curtains. And there was also an arrow taped on the floor in that same general area, not sure what that's about. The turntable activated, as silent, swift, and smooth as ever. Swung around, annddd... the right screen is off. Only two-thirds of a Big Bang for me. Audio and the doors to the diorama seemed to work fine and everything.

Diorama- Not much fog this time around, probably still just an off and on thing. Ellen looks awful, terribly plastic-looking face. But, just past her was a treat... lava that was FLOWING!!! Genuine glowing, flowing, moving, rolling-down-the-hillside-coming-to-melt-your-face-off lava! It was pretty exciting. I have to wonder if that has just been another one of those off-and-on effects all along. But if they did bring it back during the rehab, that's quite awesome! Unfortunately, the geyser fountain of lava thing wasn't going over the cave into Theater 2.

Theater 2- Coming in to the theater, only some of the sparkly dots on the floor were working. The control console seems to have a brighter screen now, that is bleeding more light onto the wall behind it. The wipe up at the beginning of the movie was way ahead of the rising curtain. And no signs of the side curtains anywhere! :fork: Otherwise, the movie played out just fine.

Theater 1 Finale- Coming back in, the right screen was back on! Hooray for working vital elements of the show! Paying attention to that, I didn't notice that the curtains were in any other position, they seemed to be where they have been for the past few years. There's a possibility I could be wrong, but I think I'd like to notice something like that. The show ended as normal, no issues that I can remember.

Post-show: There is no post-show, damnit! Unless you're able travel back in time and haul your butt across over to CommuniCore East!

JLW11Hi

Yes it was awesome. It was the first moving theater cars I experienced and I did not know I was in a ride vehicle until it started moving. Amazing amazing experience.

Did the theater cars look different from the ones they have now?

jt04

Did the theater cars look different from the ones they have now?

No not that I remember. I knew that they were not regular theater seats but I believe I thought that it was for sound or shaking or something. Kinda like a "Mission to Mars" kinda thing. I was in the first car that moves so it was not expected, first the screens moving was one thing that amazed but when the vehicle moved forward it was just awesome. :dazzle:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks, Mr, for an informitive post. Lava! Woohoo! Six pack! Woohoo if the other set is complete too! Everything else - Hmmm....

EPCOT Explorer

I remember some EPCOT leader saying sometime that they were difficult to maintain.

So I rode Universe of Energy a few days ago, right after it had come back up from being 101. Here goes:

Pre-show: First off, the dinosaur topiaries are no longer there, to answer that question. I didn't notice that anything else was different as far as the trees goes. First thing I notice inside is that we now have a Universe of New Carpet Smell. The interior signs are gone, that used to be on either wall. Before the show, a Cast Member came out to explain that they're still in test and adjust mode, that the attraction could go down at any time. The film started okay, with just that one-second lag on that second screen from the left. Once it got to the point where Ellen announces her favorite TV show is coming on, the audio cut out for about 3-5 minutes. The CM came out and said they're trying to get it fixed, and didn't know if they'd have to close it or not. It came back on right around the "dream sequence" bit, but the audio in the rest of the room that makes it sound like the audience is throwing out suggestions was very low.

Theater 1- Six-pack! (That one's for you, Martin!) I toodled on right up front dead center. I don't think this has been there before, but on the left side up towards the ceiling near the apex/finale screen, there was what looks like a miniature football goal sticking out of the wall. I have no idea what it could be for, except to punt little footballs for a field goal right into the curtains. And there was also an arrow taped on the floor in that same general area, not sure what that's about. The turntable activated, as silent, swift, and smooth as ever. Swung around, annddd... the right screen is off. Only two-thirds of a Big Bang for me. Audio and the doors to the diorama seemed to work fine and everything.

Diorama- Not much fog this time around, probably still just an off and on thing. Ellen looks awful, terribly plastic-looking face. But, just past her was a treat... lava that was FLOWING!!! Genuine glowing, flowing, moving, rolling-down-the-hillside-coming-to-melt-your-face-off lava! It was pretty exciting. I have to wonder if that has just been another one of those off-and-on effects all along. But if they did bring it back during the rehab, that's quite awesome! Unfortunately, the geyser fountain of lava thing wasn't going over the cave into Theater 2.

Theater 2- Coming in to the theater, only some of the sparkly dots on the floor were working. The control console seems to have a brighter screen now, that is bleeding more light onto the wall behind it. The wipe up at the beginning of the movie was way ahead of the rising curtain. And no signs of the side curtains anywhere! :fork: Otherwise, the movie played out just fine.

Theater 1 Finale- Coming back in, the right screen was back on! Hooray for working vital elements of the show! Paying attention to that, I didn't notice that the curtains were in any other position, they seemed to be where they have been for the past few years. There's a possibility I could be wrong, but I think I'd like to notice something like that. The show ended as normal, no issues that I can remember.

Post-show: There is no post-show, damnit! Unless you're able travel back in time and haul your butt across over to CommuniCore East!
Epic repor!:D Glad to hear the dinorama is working nicley, but it's time to get that screen and those curtains fixed!:D

No, I think they're the same color and everything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom