Universe of Energy being unrepainted!

dandaman

James Horner is a much worse offender.

Agreed. While I can usually pick out the style of most composers (especially Jerry Goldsmith... Rudy and Soarin' sound quite similar IMO), Horner seems to have the exact same swells, chimes, etcetera in every score. That said, Titanic is one of my favourites...

I've studied the works of all the major motion picture composers and have seen John Williams and Hans Zimmer many times in person. While I may not be an expert by any means, I have noticed many of Hans Zimmers pieces... have been entirely based around a simple ascending four note scale.

Whereas I haven't seen them in person/desperately want to, but I still Zimmer's recent works revolve around what you said. (Mind you, the Simpsons Movie was actually quite good and seemed to be a departure from the aforementioned scale. :lol: )

1) He can do an awesome score with a very prominent, pulsing beat. That's what UoE could be, just place just throbbing with energy, and he could certainly give the music a latent, underlying energy, making the place seemingly on the verge of just letting loose with power, give the energy it's own presence.

2) And he excels at writing kind of quirky, oddball, off-the-wall scores, which would give Universe of Energy just the most perfect mood to it that's just a little bit strange, eclectic, and eccentric. By this criteria, I think my second choice for scoring UoE would be Danny Elfman.

3) To be honest, I think that was his last best, truly iconic John Williams score, in the same vein as Close Encounters, Raiders, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, etc.

1. I thought about that same "energy as its own character" mid-post a few pages back. :lol:

2. See, I just think Elfman might get a little too eccentric. The pavillion lost its grandeur IMO when it decided to go the comedy route with Ellen et al, but I just have it in my head that Elfman would take Broughton's score (itself quite lively, I know) and "dumb it down" a little.

3. Agreed. I had no idea people didn't like the simple score for HP until "castevens" mentioned it. I personally think it's right up there with the oldies.

P.S. Anyone heard of "Empire of the Sun"? Never seen the movie, but I love the Williams score. :D

devoy1701

To be honest I really want Disney to release the soundtrack for the current UoE.

Look around on the internet...there are ways of getting both the current attraction audio and the musical score that goes with it...you just have to know the right places to look! If disney released an actual CD version of this it would undoubtably cost you 25 bucks!

castevens

Whereas I haven't seen them in person/desperately want to, but I still Zimmer's recent works revolve around what you said. (Mind you, the Simpsons Movie was actually quite good and seemed to be a departure from the aforementioned scale. :lol: )

Living literally a stone's throw away from Boston Symphony Hall (where the Boston Pops perform) has its advantages. I saw John Williams conduct the Pops every year at Symphony Hall and at the Esplanade on the 4th of July when I was growing up until Keith Lockhart officially took over Williams' conductor position. Now JW is the conductor laureate and joins the Pops only a few times per year. I always attend, despite the fact that its getting ridiculously repetitive.

On a similar note, Seal was supposed to do the National Anthem for opening day for the Sox here, but because its been postponed until tomorrow and he's on tour, the Boston Pops will be performing the anthem prior to the first pitch (under the direction of Lockhart, of course).

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
Agreed. While I can usually pick out the style of most composers (especially Jerry Goldsmith... Rudy and Soarin' sound quite similar IMO), Horner seems to have the exact same swells, chimes, etcetera in every score. That said, Titanic is one of my favourites...

Not to say I don't enjoy a lot of his work, like Star Trek and The Rocketeer. I thought Bicenntennial Man was a bit underrated.

I loved loved loved Zimmers score for PotC: At Worlds End! Thoroughly weird and wonderful!

1. I thought about that same "energy as its own character" mid-post a few pages back. :lol:

I'm not sure I'd go as far to say to make energy its own character, but definitely sense its presence in as many different forms as possible.

2. See, I just think Elfman might get a little too eccentric. The pavillion lost its grandeur IMO when it decided to go the comedy route with Ellen et al, but I just have it in my head that Elfman would take Broughton's score (itself quite lively, I know) and "dumb it down" a little.

Personally, I think Elfman would take a score for Energy in a better direction than Broughton. But also, that's all dependent on the show. Broughton scored Ellen's Energy Adventure perfectly, even if Ellen's Energy Adventure isn't the perfect representation of the Universe of Energy. I think Elfman would be a better choice for something more in the vein of the original version.

EPCOT Explorer

I know this might sound a bit odd, but whomever did the ABC (Disney!) Election/Political theme was spot on. Very emotional, very stoic sounding. They could easily do EPCOT music...

Jasonflz

Look around on the internet...there are ways of getting both the current attraction audio and the musical score that goes with it...you just have to know the right places to look! If disney released an actual CD version of this it would undoubtably cost you 25 bucks!

As much as I hate to disagree with you, the musical score has never seen the light of day. The only way to get it is if it is released officially or leaked by someone with the tapes. Only attraction audio and 1 or 2 gems have been floating around. Ask any Disney music fan, more specifically on Mousebits, or ask Martin. He has a great answer.

EpcotServo

I know this might sound a bit odd, but whomever did the ABC (Disney!) Election/Political theme was spot on. Very emotional, very stoic sounding. They could easily do EPCOT music...

How 'bout the National Geographic song.

Look at this old man! This must be where he lives! BUMB BUMB!

Jasonflz

Next time The Seas gets a refurb the main song should be changed from
"Big Blue World"
to
"So Long And Thanks For All The Fish".

Long Live 42!!!!!!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom