Universe of Energy being unrepainted!

Horizons1

I rode today and noticed the flowing lava too. At first I thought it was a trick of the light, but no, there is flowing lava. I don't recall how thick the original stuff was, but this stuff looks very thin.

Rob562

I'm not saying it can't WORK, I'm saying that all of the solutions are extremely unfeasible because Theater 1's ceiling is so massive. (Also slanted)

The problem with sliding is that you have to remember you don't get space for free. For every mirrored inch there has to be a duplicate inch and the motors and gears to slide it.

Plus not to mention with all this spinning and mirroring, what do you do with the hundreds of lights/air ducts/vents/alarms/speakers that would be covered up by all the whirling mirrors?

Again, it's cool to think about, and I'm sure they did, I just don't blame them for not mirroring it in the original...

I'll have to look up at the ceiling on my next trip (60 days to go! Yay!), but if the overhead lighting (that's used as you enter and exit) isn't too spread out, they could take a cue from the original pre-show and just make panels that flip over. One side is black, and the other side is mirrored.

But I'm not sure what a mirrored ceiling would do in terms of effect. It might be interesting along the edges where it would reflect the side walls and screens, but mirrors directly over the vehicles would just reflect the vehicles and not any of the screens. But those mirrored edges of the ceilings might be an interesting effect to make the side walls seem taller than they are.

-Rob

Arch Angel

Banned
Great ride but why do they insist on keeping Ellen and Bill Nye? They need to get a budget put together to improve the ride. Keep the dinosaur diorama but update the first and last portion of the ride.

EPCOT Explorer

It definitely seems that WDI is planning something for the future of UOE.
One would hope!:D
I'll have to look up at the ceiling on my next trip (60 days to go! Yay!), but if the overhead lighting (that's used as you enter and exit) isn't too spread out, they could take a cue from the original pre-show and just make panels that flip over. One side is black, and the other side is mirrored.

But I'm not sure what a mirrored ceiling would do in terms of effect. It might be interesting along the edges where it would reflect the side walls and screens, but mirrors directly over the vehicles would just reflect the vehicles and not any of the screens. But those mirrored edges of the ceilings might be an interesting effect to make the side walls seem taller than they are.

-Rob

Maybe angled ceiling...With a supplementing screen?:lookaroun

BenS

It definitely seems that WDI is planning something for the future of UOE.

I wonder if we'll see a new show within the next few years. It seems odd that they'd invest in a major back-end overhaul for a dated ride. UoE didn't exactly seem to be packing in crowds the last couple times I visited (or maybe my recent trips have been in less crowded seasons than earlier ones, who knows)

I used to really love Ellen's Energy Adventure because of Bill Nye, I pretty much grew up with that show. But the show ended in 1997 and I don't think it's even in reruns anymore. I'm not sure today's kids would be able to identify with him, even less so 5 years from now.

I'll miss this ride if/when it goes, mainly for nostalgia, but I think it's run its course. I think what I'd really miss most would be the score, but hopefully Disney would bring back Bruce Broughton for UoE 3.

My only hope is that they don't Pixar/Stichify it. Hasn't Epcot suffered enough?

EPCOT Explorer

I wonder if we'll see a new show within the next few years. It seems odd that they'd invest in a major back-end overhaul for a dated ride. UoE didn't exactly seem to be packing in crowds the last couple times I visited (or maybe my recent trips have been in less crowded seasons than earlier ones, who knows)

I used to really love Ellen's Energy Adventure because of Bill Nye, I pretty much grew up with that show. But the show ended in 1997 and I don't think it's even in reruns anymore. I'm not sure today's kids would be able to identify with him, even less so 5 years from now.

I'll miss this ride if/when it goes, mainly for nostalgia, but I think it's run its course. I think what I'd really miss most would be the score, but hopefully Disney would bring back Bruce Broughton for UoE 3.

My only hope is that they don't Pixar/Stichify it. Hasn't Epcot suffered enough?
You mean UoE 4.:D;)

And yes, bring Bruce back! He writes amazing music for EPCOT...SSE included, there.

And YES, EPCOT has suffered.:lol: Honestly, although the MI rumor is very heavy around this website, I really don't think it's plausible. Too much of a long shot.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
You mean UoE 4.:D;)

And yes, bring Bruce back! He writes amazing music for EPCOT...SSE included, there.

And YES, EPCOT has suffered.:lol: Honestly, although the MI rumor is very heavy around this website, I really don't think it's plausible. Too much of a long shot.

Um... 3? You're not counting 1.5 in 1996, are you?

And seriously, Bruce Broughton does great stuff, but I'd much rather see someone like Hans Zimmer do the new score.

EPCOT Explorer

And seriously, Bruce Broughton does great stuff, but I'd much rather see someone like Hans Zimmer do the new score.

I count it...:shrug: I remember seeing it!:lol:

Kinda like how if and when SSE get's it's improvements it will be SSE09.

At least to me.:lol:

And Hans Zimmer or Gavin Greenaway would be epic.:D

Jasonflz

Bruce knows Best!!!

Seriously though, I think a new composer could really benefit the park. Bruce can write music for something in the Magic Kingdom considering they took out Timekeeper.

As for today's kids not knowing who Bill Nye is, all of the teens in my class can easily recognize him. Our old teacher would alway's show videos of hime for our science class.

Expo_Seeker40

I wouldn't be surprised in the next 5 years we get a new UoE.

Energy is a very important topic, that includes on a national and global level.

There are numerous trends and campaigns to get people to "go green", and it's becoming a part of our lives.

The ride will need a sponsor....whether that be an organizations, group of organizations, or corporation.

I highly doubt the radok screens will ever come back...however....that doesn't mean an interesting preshow can be done in different colors and patterns on the 5 flat projection screens. We need a better, more fluid preshow explaining all the different sources of energy....not a dry....bland graphics presentation......the original preshow was quite dry in narration...its graphics weren't stellar....and it was only good due to the radok screens.

Entering theater 1....will need cosmetic treatment....new carpeting and curtains....the room needs to be brighter and look like a theater....not some dark space it is today.

The theater 1 film could possibly use the original animated film made for the UoE which would remain timeless...or a cutting edge graphic presentation about the major use of energy...fossil fuels....though the graphics may become outdated within a few years

then it's on to the diorama....and then to theater 2....here they will need to show not only future energy sources....which it's pretty obvious what those are...but also tips and ways to make your home and lifestyle greener and more energy efficient as well as what other countries and cultures are doing and then it's on to theater 1 again with a 360 effect of graphics as we are surrounded around the universe of energy.

As for a postshow..well the exit corridor can't provide such a post show...but it would be nice to have a new energy exchange exhibit....a sign inviting guests into Innoventions East through the reopened energy exchange doors...and into a new (though dark and colorful) energy exchange exhibit.

krankenstein

I count it...:shrug: I remember seeing it!:lol:

Kinda like how if and when SSE get's it's improvements it will be SSE09.

At least to me.:lol:

And Hans Zimmer or Gavin Greenaway would be epic.:D

Two words, John Williams! :D

jt04

There are numerous trends and campaigns to get people to "go green", and it's becoming a part of our lives.

The ride will need a sponsor....whether that be an organizations, group of organizations, or corporation.

I highly doubt the radok screens will ever come back...however....that doesn't mean an interesting preshow can be done in different colors and patterns on the 5 flat projection screens. We need a better, more fluid preshow explaining all the different sources of energy....not a dry....bland graphics presentation......the original preshow was quite dry in narration...its graphics weren't stellar....and it was only good due to the radok screens.

Entering theater 1....will need cosmetic treatment....new carpeting and curtains....the room needs to be brighter and look like a theater....not some dark space it is today.

The theater 1 film could possibly use the original animated film made for the UoE which would remain timeless...or a cutting edge graphic presentation about the major use of energy...fossil fuels....though the graphics may become outdated within a few years

then it's on to the diorama....and then to theater 2....here they will need to show not only future energy sources....which it's pretty obvious what those are...but also tips and ways to make your home and lifestyle greener and more energy efficient as well as what other countries and cultures are doing and then it's on to theater 1 again with a 360 effect of graphics as we are surrounded around the universe of energy.

As for a postshow..well the exit corridor can't provide such a post show...but it would be nice to have a new energy exchange exhibit....a sign inviting guests into Innoventions East through the reopened energy exchange doors...and into a new (though dark and colorful) energy exchange exhibit.

I like your concepts but there is one comment I don't agree with and that is highlighted in red. Many people are working on technologies that could revolutionize our concepts of future energy sources and production. A breakthrough could happen at anytime. A breakthrough that could make the need to conserve energy nothing but a passing fad. Every bit a "game changer" as harnessing fire or humans learning to fly.

Whoever said "there is no free lunch" :D

EPCOT Explorer

Well said. Use the problems of today and the refurb that theywanted to give UoE back in 96 to chart a new Future World Based attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As for today's kids not knowing who Bill Nye is, all of the teens in my class can easily recognize him.
Maybe, but he is very US specific. Considering the parks international draw they can do far better.

castevens

While I'd like to agree with you, I'd have to say I don't know a more well-known person of SCIENCE who would do such a thing. Maybe more people (and specifically international people) would recognize Stephen Hawking, but he'd never do this (or it would be hard to hear with the voicebox).

Having Bill Nye as the man will cause the younger children who don't know who he is to ask questions, do research, and eventually kill themselves in Med School like I am right now

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom