Universe of Energy being unrepainted!

comics101

That concept art looks like one of two things:

(1) The Firefox logo, or
(2) the typical portrayal of that mythological Firebird, the Phoenix

Neat!

haha! It kind of does look like the Firefox logo...

Martin, is there any chance of something similar to this version of the ride coming after the economy gets better? I know a few years ago there were talks of a refurb coming soon, but I assume that's been taken off the table.

EPCOT Explorer

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20190&d=1117811185

The details are a bit sketchy; I know it was a future-themed attraction, rather clinical in the style of T2:3D in physical appearance. The diorama would have been updated to include the death of dinosaurs. Lots of in theatre visual effects too as well as the existing screens.

WOW. Even from that, I could tell it looked nice...:lol:

Maybe they still have this...waiting...in Glendale...

EpcotServo

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20190&d=1117811185

The details are a bit sketchy; I know it was a future-themed attraction, rather clinical in the style of T2:3D in physical appearance. The diorama would have been updated to include the death of dinosaurs. Lots of in theatre visual effects too as well as the existing screens.

So that looks like a spherical screen like the one at Project Tomorrow, but warped from the ceiling so it's about 1/4th of the sphere there at the top where the Apex screen used to be, using an (unmade) mirrored ceiling and the (made) mirrored walls.

Man, if they mirrored the ceiling of Theater 1 as well it would've felt even more MASSIVE. The only reason they wouldn't had to be because there's no way to cover it (Like the curtains for the walls and apex screen) so it wouldn't have been as much of a reveal.

EPCOT Explorer

So that looks like a spherical screen like the one at Project Tomorrow, but warped from the ceiling so it's about 1/4th of the sphere there at the top where the Apex screen used to be, using an (unmade) mirrored ceiling and the (made) mirrored walls.

Man, if they mirrored the ceiling of Theater 1 as well it would've felt even more MASSIVE. The only reason they wouldn't had to be because there's no way to cover it (Like the curtains for the walls and apex screen) so it wouldn't have been as much of a reveal.

Indeed!...But they could have!- Flip panels on the ceiling! On side would be mirrored!

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster

Um, no, they were still painting it at that point. I think I was there on Wednesday (April 1st), and there was still plenty of painting to be done on the right side. It looked like they've still been working on the left side, too, getting the right shades of red-to-orange-to-yellow. Not only that, but from what I saw from the Monorail, they're painting that very back section yellow, that has previously been blue, and had the mirror tiles on it up until 1996.

EPCOT Explorer

Um, no, they were still painting it at that point. I think I was there on Wednesday (April 1st), and there was still plenty of painting to be done on the right side. It looked like they've still been working on the left side, too, getting the right shades of red-to-orange-to-yellow. Not only that, but from what I saw from the Monorail, they're painting that very back section yellow, that has previously been blue, and had the mirror tiles on it up until 1996.

:D:sohappy:

Heading in anytime soon?

Expo_Seeker40

Why did they take those tiles down? Were they that hard to maintain? :shrug:

A few random things

1.) What has become of the corporate lounge that's on the right side of the building?

2.) So the CM control booth that could be seen in theater 2 in the original version of the ride is still there right? They just removed the monitors above the CM and the three maps that sat on the wall next to the control booth?

3.) Interesting that the curtains rise along with the center screen that shows Ellen winning Jeopardy at the end of the ride....either its running on a 1982 program...or eventually they will have a better use for those walls again. :lookaroun

4.) Woo hoo, so they are trying to make the color scheme look more fluid from red to yellow

5.) The plants are still a mess and overgrown all over the building, are the dinosaur topiaries still there?

EpcotServo

Indeed!...But they could have!- Flip panels on the ceiling! On side would be mirrored!

The amount of mirrors would be massive, and you'd have to have them drop down a significant amount to have room to "spin" around like that, let alone come up with a crazy motor system hoisted on the ceiling to spin these hundred giant mirrors. Nice try, but not very feasible at all.

EPCOT Explorer

The amount of mirrors would be massive, and you'd have to have them drop down a significant amount to have room to "spin" around like that, let alone come up with a crazy motor system hoisted on the ceiling to spin these hundred giant mirrors. Nice try, but not very feasible at all.
Think of the Radok Screens! I think they could do it...

EPCOT Explorer

They were huge and complicated. Doing that upside down on the MASSIVE Theater 1 ceiling would be like....10 times more complicated and bulky.
Sliding mirrored panels then?

Tons of doors that open up to mirrors and then disappear through slats in the ceiling?

I'm determined to get this to work now...:dazzle::ROFLOL:

Does it have to be a lightbulb? ;)

EpcotServo

Tons of doors that open up to mirrors and then disappear through slats in the ceiling?

I'm not saying it can't WORK, I'm saying that all of the solutions are extremely unfeasible because Theater 1's ceiling is so massive. (Also slanted)

The problem with sliding is that you have to remember you don't get space for free. For every mirrored inch there has to be a duplicate inch and the motors and gears to slide it.

Plus not to mention with all this spinning and mirroring, what do you do with the hundreds of lights/air ducts/vents/alarms/speakers that would be covered up by all the whirling mirrors?

Again, it's cool to think about, and I'm sure they did, I just don't blame them for not mirroring it in the original...

muteki

Given that the theaters are about the same size, the mirror could slide into a space over the other theater, for storage, then "slide" back in. Really simple with some pulleys, and it wouldn't require a that much space. You could do the same thing with curtains though, it just wouldn't be as slick.

EpcotServo

Given that the theaters are about the same size, the mirror could slide into a space over the other theater, for storage, then "slide" back in. Really simple with some pulleys, and it wouldn't require a that much space. You could do the same thing with curtains though, it just wouldn't be as slick.

For the record, Theater 1 is much bigger than Theater 2 because of it's shape. You have to remember when looking at that massive building, MOST of that is Theater 1.
:eek:

EPCOT Explorer

I'm not saying it can't WORK, I'm saying that all of the solutions are extremely unfeasible because Theater 1's ceiling is so massive. (Also slanted)

The problem with sliding is that you have to remember you don't get space for free. For every mirrored inch there has to be a duplicate inch and the motors and gears to slide it.

Plus not to mention with all this spinning and mirroring, what do you do with the hundreds of lights/air ducts/vents/alarms/speakers that would be covered up by all the whirling mirrors?

Again, it's cool to think about, and I'm sure they did, I just don't blame them for not mirroring it in the original...
True...but it's WDI. They do this stuff.:lol:

And why do the mirrors need to be covered at first? I forgot..
Maybe...You never know.

muteki

For the record, Theater 1 is much bigger than Theater 2 because of it's shape. You have to remember when looking at that massive building, MOST of that is Theater 1.
:eek:

Assuming this is to scale, there seems enough room to put it somewhere in the ceiling structure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom