Universal Website now has Disney comparison chart!!

CTXRover

Legacy said:
Don't blame the parks for the comparisons.

I always thought UO wanted to be its own entity, separate and distinct from the Disney property? Even here, there has been a lot made about how each are different, be it good or bad. I don't blame them for anything, I just don't think the chart is necessary. Again, even at the chart's worst which might not be picked up by the average guest, it still paints Disney as a pretty close equal to UO, don't you think?. I agree its a marketing strategy. I'm not going to argue that. But I do think there are better marketing strategies than constantly comparing yourself to your competition in a public fashion, especially when the comparisons just don't add up, even when displayed in a skewed fashion. I truly enjoy Universal and make several trips there a year. While I enjoy Disney more, I'd still like Universal to have more faith in themselves.

Legacy

CTXRover said:
I always thought UO wanted to be its own entity, separate and distinct from the Disney property? Even here, there has been a lot made about how each are different, be it good or bad. I don't blame them for anything, I just don't think the chart is necessary. I rarley get into Universal vs Disney discussions for this very reason. Even if you think you're trying to be impartial, your preference is always let loose and then condemned, on both sides of the scale. Again, even at the chart's worst, it still paints Disney as a pretty close equal to UO. I agree its a marketing strategy. I'm not going to argue that. But I do think there are better marketing strategies than constantly comparing yourself to your competition in a public fashion, especially when the comparisons just don't add up.
See... that's the thing with the chart. It's public, yes. But it's not a full campaign. It's not even in the NavMenu on the page. It's just an in-text link. It's meant to be more of a service than a campaign or even a huge marketing tool. The "Take Back Your Vacation" is the big strategy. I think the chart is nice, and it shows that Universal is actually willing to help the guests understand the options their are in Orlando. That's why they have a park-hopping package with the Busch parks. Universal is more about getting people to Orlando, and their parks. Disney doesn't care about the city anymore.

mrtoad

dmmgp2000 said:
I was trying to help a buddy of mine out with prices to Universal

Sure, it is like that story, "Doctor, you see I have this friend who has this problem..." (joking :animwink: )

CTXRover

Legacy said:
I think the chart is nice, and it shows that Universal is actually willing to help the guests understand the options their are in Orlando. That's why they have a park-hopping package with the Busch parks. Universal is more about getting people to Orlando, and their parks. Disney doesn't care about the city anymore.

How does a chart that has been shown to be inaccurate and incredibly misleading really help guests "understand" their options? I'm sure its purpose wasn't meant to serve anyone's interests but Universal themselves. Period. That's not wrong as that is what marketing is about, but you make it sound like Universal is doing a wonderful and helpful service to guests with this chart. If they wanted to be so helpful, why make it so misleading?

The park hopper package with Busch has nothing to do with trying to "help" out the other parks as it does with these parks getting together to try and provide something that can provide similar value to a WDW vacation in terms of options. I wouldn't consider this caring or charitable, its all about getting people to consider visiting their parks. Again, not a bad thing, but not as caring as you make it sound. I can guarentee Universal is more interested in getting people to visit their parks than they are about getting people to actually visit Orlando, the city.

Anyway, I'm getting tired discussing a simple chart. Its just not worth much more of my time. Its not THAT important, really.

Lauriebar

Maybe I'm just crazy but, I cheer everytime someone chooses Universal over Disney. That's just one less person I have to deal with while I'm on line at Dumbo!!:lol:

(It's just a joke:goodnevil )

Woody13

Lauriebar said:
Maybe I'm just crazy but, I cheer everytime someone chooses Universal over Disney. That's just one less person I have to deal with while I'm on line at Dumbo!!:lol:

Are you originally from the New York area?

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Mickeyman819 said:
I looked through all of the post and i havn't been able to find anyhting about Fast pass. Correct me if im wrong, but dont you have to pay a special price to recieve fast pass at USF, where as at WDW its there inlcuded in everything.

No....they have the Universal Express service, which is free (just like FP), and the Universal Express Plus pass, which is for purchase (it lets you go through the EP line at every attraction once).

figmentfan said:
Dark inside roller coaster: Mummy or Rock n Roller Coaster?

Roller Coaster: Hulk or Space Mountain?

Thrill Ride: Spider-Man or Tower of Terror?

Resort: Hard Rock Hotel or Grand Floridian Resort and Spa?

Character: Shrek or Mickey Mouse?

- Revenge of the Mummy
- Incredible Hulk Coaster
- The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
- Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
- Mickey Mouse

WDWScottieBoy said:
(And I'm almost positive it was you NemoRocks!)

Ok, so it was me. But what's the big deal? The whole reputation point system is used when you agree and disagree with a post, and at that point I disagreed.

Brooke said:
I think Universal is smart to do a chart like that. A lot of people believe that just because Universal only has two theme parks and Disney has four that Disney must have more E-ticket attractions and that simply is not the case. I believe that Universal has more and I also believe that they have far more thrilling attractions (although Disney is obviously more geared toward families). Universal ticket prices are also a LOT better deal than Disney's tickets. They also mentioned the great benefit for resort guests - the express pass service with your room key - that Disney does not offer. I think that Universal has some features that are far better than Disney and Disney also has features that are a lot better than Universal. It all comes down to what you personally prefer.

Well said. :sohappy:

Indy95 said:
Because then they would be admitting that they are jealous of Disney's success, and are trying to imitate Disney to steal their audience.

:brick: :rolleyes:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
jesserin said:
Ahha - well your signature says it all... as I said to the lady in line at SM that was being beligerant - "Universal deserves you" - End of story... have a nice day at USF!

May I ask why you think that?

For the record, I am not a "Universal diehard," and I am also not a "Disney diehard." I don't hate one and like the other....I am a huge fan of both resorts and visit them frequently. If I only liked Universal, then why would I have 3,600 posts on a Disney message board?

disneydata

Mummy or Rock n Roller Coaster? Ridden both. Like Rockin theming better. RnRC

Hulk or Space Mountain?
Ridden both, hated Hulk. SM

Spider-Man or Tower of Terror? Rode spiderman 3 times, all three the 3-d graphics were messed up and out of sync. No one said anything when I tried to inform the operators. ToT

Hard Rock Hotel or Grand Floridian Resort and Spa?
Stayed at both. GF

Shrek or Mickey Mouse?
It was all started by a mouse. MM

Went to Halloween horror nights. Place was a mess. Bathrooms were nasty. Half the rides that were supposed to be open were not. Even some of the employees were complaining to me in the middle of the pathway.

Went to US with fiancee. She wasted $50 on a ticket and rode 3 rides. That's it. Had a horrible time since she was standing around most of the day. Their fastpass clone was useless since all the buyable ones were sold out an hour after the park opened and the free version was not even worth it. I had a comp, and I really don't think it was even worth using it. Should have sold it.

dmmgp2000

Original Poster
wow, I for one never thought this post would generate such a discussion like this. This has been a really interesting read since I got home from work. By the way, I work front desk at the Swan. I have an annual pass to Universal and will soon be getting a seasonal for Disney. Like many of us on this thread, I am partial to Disney but I throughougly enjoy my visits to Universal or IOA as well. Both are different enough to the point where you have completely different experiences at any of the parks. As a theme park fan, I am glad that this great city has fierce competition between the theme parks. This means that we'll keep seeing bigger and better things in the future. Mummy was a nice addition for Universal, and I am drooling for my chance to ride Soarin' and Everest. Thank God for competition. Without it, we probably wouldn't have all the amazing attractions we enjoy today. As for the chart, if that's the way Universal wants to do things, more power to them I guess....but we all know the truth :D

AndyMagic

disneydata said:
Mummy or Rock n Roller Coaster? Ridden both. Like Rockin theming better. RnRC

I'm sorry but saying that Rock n' RollerCoaster has better theming than the mummy makes me urinate (this forum beeps the P word? That is just silly.) my pants with laughter. Mummy is a highly themed dark ride with 4 elaborately themed rooms and RnR is a coaster in the dark with a donut. I really can't imagine you being at all serious

jaredliu

I don't think it's a good strategy for U Studio to go against Disney beacue both resort benifts form each other. Think about the people come to Orlando. They will not "CHOICE" between two and will go "BOTH" instead. So if WDW is not as good as Universal, the visitors for U Studio will decrease than increase since they don't have to come to Orlando for "ONE" resort. They could go for some place cheaper and more "THRILL" like Cedar Point Park. What makes U Studios and WDW so successful is that there are "two" great resorts in "one" place. (Of course, there is also SeaWorld, ....etc).

disneydata

AndyMagic said:
I'm sorry but saying that Rock n' RollerCoaster has better theming than the mummy makes me urinate (this forum beeps the P word? That is just silly.) my pants with laughter. Mummy is a highly themed dark ride with 4 elaborately themed rooms and RnR is a coaster in the dark with a donut. I really can't imagine you being at all serious
Theming in the ride and theming outside the ride are two totally different things.

Yes, I am serious. I didn't like the Mummy. My fiancee didn't even really like it and she is a huge fan of the Mummy movies.

disneydata

NemoRocks said:
May I ask why you think that?

For the record, I am not a "Universal diehard," and I am also not a "Disney diehard." I don't hate one and like the other....I am a huge fan of both resorts and visit them frequently. If I only liked Universal, then why would I have 3,600 posts on a Disney message board?
I see 3,599 posts :p

just joking around :D

Legacy

disneydata said:
Went to Halloween horror nights. Place was a mess. Bathrooms were nasty. Half the rides that were supposed to be open were not. Even some of the employees were complaining to me in the middle of the pathway.
Nick, nothing against you.

I think it's HILARIOUS when people compare Universal to Disney and incorporate Halloween Horror Nights. HHN is a living, theme-park hell. All it is is a kegger with chainsaws and fog. The Team Members are antsy, the guests are drunk, the streets are packed, it's a nightmare in and of itself. And Nick, I don't know if you expected all the rides to be open, cause they aren't for HHN. And depending on what day you decided to go even less would have been open.

Sorry, had to say that.

Fantasmic!329

CTXRover said:
No, the link "compare to Disney" seems to work fine for me. It opens up in a pop-up and I thought perhaps if I used the link under "properties" it would give me a direct link, but that doesn't seem to work. Perhaps its being blocked by a pop-up blocker on your computer?

Turned off my pop-up blocker and still it isn't working.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom