Universal Website now has Disney comparison chart!!

LilDucky said:
This isnt Disney sponsored. B/c if you can add that, then you could add Star War Weekends, and Pop/Warner....etc

It's still something which takes place at the parks and is a special event offered to park guests regardless of sponsership, I say it all counts.

:D

jesserin

Nemo Rocks...

Ok first of all - what do you think the water parks have??? WATER RIDES... DUH!

Secondly - They listed ALL their characters - when comparing - they should have listed ALL the other characters... DUH!

Thirdly - Of course they're only going to mention the AAA ones - THEY DON'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE!!! ... um, here again, DUH!

Fourthly - BLYSPR no motion?? Have you ever ridden it? Anything that can spin in circles and moves throughout the entire ride... um is motion.... here we go again, DUH!

And Lastly - for someone who lives so close - you'd think you'd know a few of these special events - they listed 3 out of about 100 special events that disney does... Not all of them are Hard Ticket at WDW - but not all the one's Universal listed are hard ticket...

Everything that we posted was correct - now am I not correct in assuming that this is a WDW site? or did this somehow become a fight for universal overnight...

LOL! I respect your opinions - but ours were not wrong.

NemoRocks78

Seized
jesserin said:
Ok first of all - what do you think the water parks have??? WATER RIDES... DUH!

Universal has their own water park (Wet 'n Wild), so if they were discussing water attractions at water parks and theme parks I'm sure they would have included them.

Secondly - They listed ALL their characters - when comparing - they should have listed ALL the other characters... DUH!

They did not list all of their characters, they listed examples. They also only listed the most popular Disney characters. Of course there's more than that, but the ones they listed are the ones the public wants the most.

Thirdly - Of course they're only going to mention the AAA ones - THEY DON'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE!!! ... um, here again, DUH!

The fact is that all of their hotels are top rated.

Fourthly - BLYSPR no motion?? Have you ever ridden it? Anything that can spin in circles and moves throughout the entire ride... um is motion.... here we go again, DUH!

But does that mean it should be considered thrilling? No. If that's the case, Spaceship Earth and rides like Horizons and World of Motion should be as well.

but not all the one's Universal listed are hard ticket...

Grinchmas, the Macy's Holiday Parade, and Mardi Gras are all included with park admission.

Please excuse me for the rest of the day....I'll be at USF having a good time. :D

jesserin

NemoRocks said:
Universal has their own water park (Wet 'n Wild), so if they were discussing water attractions at water parks and theme parks I'm sure they would have included them.

They did not list all of their characters, they listed examples. They also only listed the most popular Disney characters. Of course there's more than that, but the ones they listed are the ones the public wants the most.

The fact is that all of their hotels are top rated.

But does that mean it should be considered thrilling? No. If that's the case, Spaceship Earth and rides like Horizons and World of Motion should be as well.

Grinchmas, the Macy's Holiday Parade, and Mardi Gras are all included with park admission.

Please excuse me for the rest of the day....I'll be at USF having a good time. :D
Ahha - well your signature says it all... as I said to the lady in line at SM that was being beligerant - "Universal deserves you" - End of story... have a nice day at USF!

LilDucky

peter11435 said:
Star wars weekends are Disney sponsored

I stand corrected. Funny thing is that it just adds to the list of ommited events.Thanks for the correction. I had a feeling it was considering they have some of their own characters dressed like Star Wars Characs.

figmentfan

Why compare Universal to Disney..............no comparison.........DISNEY!!!!!!

Theme Parks: Universal-2 WDW-4
Water Parks: Universal-0 WDW-2
Resorts: Universal-3 WDW-22 (Contemporary, Wild Lodge, etc.)
Recreation: Universal-0 WDW-Many (golf, boating, tennis, etc.)

I can do Universal in one day. IOA during the first part of the day, and Studios the latter part. But Disney, I need a week.

Why compare the Hulk and Deuling Dragons to the greats such as: Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain?

Why compare resorts such as Hard Rock to the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa?

Why compare transportation: Universal-boats WDW-boats, buses, trams, and MONORAIL?

Why compare thrill rides such as Spider-Man and Jimmy Neutron to Tower of Terror, Mission: Space and Test Track?

Why compare restaurants: Universal-I don't know and care WDW-Bomas, Garden Grill, Chef Mickeys, Artist Point, Nine Dragons, San Angels, Liberty Tree, Brown Derby, Yachtman's Steakhouse, and so on..............

Why even compare???????????????????????????

Captain Chaos

I just sent a tame email to Universal calling this comparison a joke. Here is my email:

How can you compare what you have to Disney World? I would seriously take that comparison chart down. That chart just shows you guys live too much in a dream world. Sorry to say. All your information is incorrect. And just wait until Disney's 50th celebration. Comparing yourself to Disney is like comparing apples to oranges. You want me to visit Universal Studios? I need free passes. Your park isn't worth the price of spit.

Take that Shrek.

jesserin

That was tame! ;) Excellant point though - despite the few (who most likely work at Universal, and thus have this distorted view that there is any sort of competition) it seems as if the mass majority recognize the facts... Disney is better hands down - argue it all you want - but at the end of the day the fact remains. Disney beats Universal all to pieces.

tirian

I've found that the general public doesn't really compare the two too much. It's true that many people consider US to be "WDW for grown-ups," but those same people will gush over how wonderful WDW is.

For example, one of my sister's friends just got married and went to Orlando for her honeymoon. They went everywhere except Disney because she goes there all the time. They hated US and IOA; they complained that although the rides were fun, the parks are nowhere near as immersive as WDW, and they should've gone there instead.

Lynx04

I don't know why all of you are surprised that Universal is putting their best foot forward and trying to compare Disney to Universal in an adventagous way. It is called marketing, that is why they spend millions on marketing.

By the way have you seen Universal's new marketing campaign. I think it is original and much better then the "Fairy tales....":

http://www.iwantmyvacation.com/

It seems as though with Universal it's more about the thrill and less about the experience and ambience. Believe it or not I would take UOE over JPRA any day of the week and here is way.

When you attempt to immerse your guests in an experience including slight suspention of disbelief, it takes you out of it when you see the rubber flapping from the static movements of a brontesauraus (sp?). It's more thrilling for me to feel like a part of the dinosaurs environment and expereince what it may have been like in their time over a fifty foot drop which is about al JP has to offer although the t rex is rather nifty.

It's like this with many of their attractions.

Compare ripsaw to splash or dr. suess to any fantasyland dark ride and you see the difference.

monorail_man

Account Suspended
I like the way the list Splash Mt 2wice. Is it a roler coaster, or a water ride? Make up your mind.

If I had never been to eaither place and only gone by that chart. I would still choose WDW because they have more to offer and more parks. That chart it self list WDW having 4 parks and Universal having 2.

But since I know that WDW has A LOT more to offer then just 4 parks I would have to say that the chart is WAY off.

jesserin

Lynx04 said:
I don't know why all of you are surprised that Universal is putting their best foot forward and trying to compare Disney to Universal in an adventagous way. It is called marketing, that is why they spend millions on marketing.

By the way have you seen Universal's new marketing campaign. I think it is original and much better then the "Fairy tales....":

http://www.iwantmyvacation.com/
I agree - I really like this new add - it seems smarter on their behalf... Universal wasn't too smart in marketing for Disney which is what the fairy tale stuff was - this new campaign seems to grab people and make them desire a vacation - smart.

I looked through all of the post and i havn't been able to find anyhting about Fast pass. Correct me if im wrong, but dont you have to pay a special price to recieve fast pass at USF, where as at WDW its there inlcuded in everything.

I dont think think there is any room for comparison. Disney blows its out of the water. The only think that i like about USF is that has good a good rollercoaster in the Hulk but other than that i can go to disney and get anything else. :cool:

CTXRover

The fact that Universal has spent the time creating a very misleading "comparison chart" to sell their Orlando property as a resort destination of comparison to Disney is unfortunate. While it is reality that they still live in the shadow of the mouse down the road (both UO parks combined attract fewer guests than MK alone in one year), they had high intentions of coming out of that shadow when they expanded their resort. They do have enough to lure people there, why they feel they need to constantly remind their visitors of the bigger guy down the road is beyond me. They should have more faith in their offerings and rest their marketing power on them. They would do perfectly fine in that department.

A comparison chart is fine, if it isn't meant to be misleading or bias. This is far from that.

Here are just a few corrections I would make to the Disney list to make it a bit fairer:

1) 2003 AAA Four Diamond Hotels:

Listed: Boardwalk, Yacht Club and Grand Floridian. Why did they just choose 3? Simple, because that is what Universal has. To be correct the listing of Four Diamond hotels in Disney's column, as listed by AAA, should be: Boardwalk, BoardWalk Villas, BEACH Club, Beach Club Villas, Yacht Club and Grand Floridian, as well as the Swan and Dolphin (since Universal's hotels are owned and operated by an outside company, it is only fair to also list the Swan and Dolphin).

2) Special Events:

Disney events not listed off the top of my head: Star Wars Weekends, Food and Wine Festival, ESPN weekends, ABC Soap Weekends, Grad Nites (Grad Bash at Universal was actually in respons to the much older Grad Nites at Disney), Disney Marathon (Universal has one also, but of much smaller scale). Since the Universal column mentions their Christmas offerings as "special events", Disney's Christmas offerings also should be listed to be fair, including Epcot's Holidays around the World, MGM's Osborne Spectacle of Lights, and "DAK the halls" offerings at AK.

3) Character Comparison:

Pretty self explanatory. Examples given for Disney are limited to the essential "big wigs" only. The number of character meet and greet possibilites are virtually incomparable. Funny how all of Universal's listings aren't even Universal owned.

4) Ride Access:

In Disney's column, all that is listed is FP. Since Universal's column mentions the onsite resort benefits as "ride access", it would only be fair to mention in Disney's column that Disney resort guests get either 1 hour extra in the morning or 3 hours extra in the evening on specific days to the four WDW theme parks. Guess that makes their hotels look less appealing though.

5) Dining and Entertainment:

Now both columns only list a few of each resort's offerings in their respective "shopping/dining" districts, but a true comparison would show Downtown Disney having quite a bit more than Universal's Citywalk.

6) Fine Dining:

Quite a bit missing from Disney's column here as well. Go figure.

7) Best Value comparison. Five days for $20 at UO or $44 at WDW. Misleading how? Because its five days for TWO parks or five days at FOUR parks. At least that is mentioned in the very fine print.

Actually, everything listed is "true" for both columns, its just obviously one-sided with obvious omissions from Disney's column....and I think that was the point. A true comparison chart would not hold up in Universal's favor, and they know it.

figmentfan

You have to choose from a Universal thing from a WDW thing: (choose one)....

Dark inside roller coaster: Mummy or Rock n Roller Coaster?

Roller Coaster: Hulk or Space Mountain?

Thrill Ride: Spider-Man or Tower of Terror?

Resort: Hard Rock Hotel or Grand Floridian Resort and Spa?

Character: Shrek or Mickey Mouse?

Choose Wisely!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom