• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Tomorrowland love

Kman101

LOL. Ya just named nearly 3/4th of the land's attractions (of which most would agree need replacing) I guess Tomorowland needs more than an aesthetic change. It needs an entire overhaul!

Maybe by MK's 60th or Centennial Celebration?!

Hyperbole aside: I do like the direction this land is heading visually but it still needs to find it's identity and with new rides that thematically fit.
LOL, so true it does need an entire overhaul but I get they just aren't going to do it all at once. They can't really with how busy the MK always is.

I agree with you 100% on the last sentence. I like where it's visually heading, but it's still a mess and a hodgepodge of attractions.

And I think the new sign just stands out more because of the old '94 things still attached to the peoplemover track. Once those are gone and some more paint is applied, I think it will be much more appealing, though I didn't hate the Sci-Fi City walkway (though I'm glad that intrusive thing blocking the walkway is gone), it just never gelled with the rest of the land once you got past Stitch, Monsters and Buzz. EDIT: It just always screams "I don't know what I am" ... lol

Sneezy62

Advertisement
Science fiction was also more viable for Tomorrowland since they had Future World just down the road which was also a realistic science and technology/future theme. Disney probably decided they had more ways to make a sci-fi future in that situation.
Yes, I left the Orlando area in the mid 70s and never looked back until the last ten years or so. I don’t really know the future represented by Future World. I have watched videos and what I have seen looked more like a more distant future than the original Tomorrowland represented. The Eastern Airlines jets in IYHW were not Future Jets. They were the newest model in the fleet at the time. Tomorrowland was really about Tomorrow. I thought we would see a people mover in downtown Orlando by 1975. Movies would be filmed in 360 . Commercial space travel was within reach. That was the feeling it gave. These marvels were real and ready to deploy. When the COP was added it made seem even closer... my mom had grown up in a house with no electricity. We had BW TV but our neighbors had colour. We would get colour too. That was the feeling of Tomorrowland.

TwilightZone

I feel like Dreamflight and IYHW are the least talked about of all the extinct Magic Kingdom attractions, is there any reason for this? Were they not that good?
I think it is because both those rides are kind of unmemorable compared to the likes of snow white, alien encounter, and mr toad. Which all were more thrilling.

Pretty sad, sometimes a non thrilling ride is good to have too!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It is getting a bit dated. And I am not sure they want Pixar at the MK as an IP for the parks attractions. Time will tell.
I, personally, don't see it as very dated. It is still very popular, and its a simple fun shooting game ride with physical targets instead of screens. I personally like it a lot more than Toy Story Mania.

TJ Vazquez

I, personally, don't see it as very dated. It is still very popular, and its a simple fun shooting game ride with physical targets instead of screens. I personally like it a lot more than Toy Story Mania.
Its a good attraction, it just needs some improvements, the guns especially. DL's are much better and more accurate. The sets could use a touch up as well.

WondersOfLife

A ride can be both popular AND dated.

See Peter Pan's Flight
Peter Pan's Flight is a good ride. It has a terrible capacity problem, though, which is the main reason for its lines. Buzz Lightyear is an omnimover and still gets decent wait times. Even factoring in FP+ doesn't mean anything in comparison to each other.

Do you have another 'popular but dated' example?

MickeyMario

Peter Pan's Flight is a good ride. It has a terrible capacity problem, though, which is the main reason for its lines. Buzz Lightyear is an omnimover and still gets decent wait times. Even factoring in FP+ doesn't mean anything in comparison to each other.

Do you have another 'popular but dated' example?
At WDW? Let's see.

Speedway, Space Mountain, RnRC, iasw, (+PPF, Buzz)

They're all in need of serious updates / refreshes

WondersOfLife

At WDW? Let's see.

Speedway, Space Mountain, RnRC, iasw, (+PPF, Buzz)

They're all in need of serious updates / refreshes

Space Mountain and RnRC are extremely amazing rides for thrill seekers. I wouldn't say either of them are dated outside of Space Mountain's ride mechanics. It's a Small World is, again, a great ride for its intended demographic. My dad was pointing out during our last trip while we were riding it, how the design of the ride keeps little toddlers engaged the whole time. And sure enough, the 4 toddlers on the boat ride were mesmerized by everything around them the whole ride.

Speedway and Peter Pan have terrible capacity problems. And Buzz is still terribly relevant today with the popularity of Toy Story.

I can get behind updating the ride mechanics and some new show scenes for Buzz... But if it were to stay as is, I personally believe it would be fine. Because again, I've always enjoyed it, all my first time friends enjoy it, and I just don't feel a "datedness" to the ride. It's a video game. It's fun. :)

Any other examples?

EDIT: It seems like you're wanting to find a "mediocre but still popular" ride. Peter Pan and Speedway are your only mediocre examples, and their main source of popularity is due to their ride capacity.

MickeyMario

Space Mountain and RnRC are extremely amazing rides for thrill seekers. I wouldn't say either of them are dated outside of Space Mountain's ride mechanics. It's a Small World is, again, a great ride for its intended demographic. My dad was pointing out during our last trip while we were riding it, how the design of the ride keeps little toddlers engaged the whole time. And sure enough, the 4 toddlers on the boat ride were mesmerized by everything around them the whole ride.

Speedway and Peter Pan have terrible capacity problems. And Buzz is still terribly relevant today with the popularity of Toy Story.

I can get behind updating the ride mechanics and some new show scenes for Buzz... But if it were to stay as is, I personally believe it would be fine. Because again, I've always enjoyed it, all my first time friends enjoy it, and I just don't feel a "datedness" to the ride. It's a video game. It's fun. :)

Any other examples?
I'll never understand people making excuses for Disney to NOT make their rides better.

You can enjoy something and still see the room for improvement.

Once you ride iasw at TDL, DLP and HKD, you'll see how sad MK's version is and how much better it could be
Same goes for the other rides I listed.

Kman101

I'll never understand people making excuses for Disney to NOT make their rides better.

Exactly. I enjoy a lot of things but I'm always thinking of room for improvement. Shouldn't we get "the best" each and every time? "Good enough" shouldn't cut it. I mean, I don't hate TSL like some and what's there is nice but don't tell me they couldn't do a lot better.

WondersOfLife

You are correct.
I can get behind updating the ride mechanics and some new show scenes for Buzz...

Buzz is probably on a top 20 list for "least of my concerns" as far as ride updatings go though. I'd much rather Disney focused on other rides and attractions first, that actually need more help than Buzz does.

AshaNeOmah

Space Mountain and RnRC are extremely amazing rides for thrill seekers.
Space Mountain is not a ride for thrill seekers. It has a max speed of 28 mph, 26 ft drop, no inversions, and 3.7 Gs. Any other park would call it a kiddie coaster.

RnRC is popular but somewhat dated considering Aerosmith is no longer popular outside of those that listen to classic rock.
Aerosmith had already achieved that status 20 years go when the ride was conceived. From my very quick search, they've only had one platinum album since the ride open and none in the past 17 years. RnRC's theme was dated after the first year or two.

Last edited:
Top Bottom