News Tomorrowland love

James Alucobond

Tomorrowland 94 was hideous. That said, it was at least mostly consistent.

Anyway, between live action Stitch and Elio (which seems to have a scene purpose built for the Stitch theater if it becomes popular), hopefully they can put something back on the left side of the main promenade. Beyond that, steal the Wreck-It Ralph thing from Tokyo to replace Buzz, lightly update Carousel, retrack Space (and level/redesign the entrance canopy and gift shop), replace the Speedway, and we're on our way. My dream Speedway scenario would be turning it into a lagoon surrounding a relocated Small World as the bridge between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland while simultaneously filling its former spot with a modified DisneySea Rapunzel ride, but I know that's never happening.

Sneaky

Attachments

• IMG_3072.jpeg
    IMG_3072.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 106

UNCgolf

It exemplified everything insane about the 90s merged with everything insane about raygun gothic. I found it deeply ugly compared to what it originally was because I'm not a maximalist and prefer things to look good even without night lighting, but it's all opinion. 🤷‍♂️

I didn't really love that aesthetic either, but I'd certainly take it over the random hodgepodge that's there now.

Sneaky

It exemplified everything insane about the 90s merged with everything insane about raygun gothic. I found it deeply ugly compared to what it originally was because I'm not a maximalist and prefer things to look good even without night lighting, but it's all opinion.

I didn't really love that aesthetic either, but I'd certainly take it over the random hodgepodge that's there now.
I am Tomorrowland 94’s biggest defender

Bocabear

I am a super Disney purist, and even I found some things to really love about the Tomorrowland 94... It didn't go quite far enough....and they forgot to add more attractions for 20 years.... I would LOVE to have them bring back the entrance to Tomorrowland, boot the Monsters Laugh Floor to the Studios along with Buzz, do something with the speedway...i mean seriously.... and then come up with an exciting collection of NEW attractions to replace what is closed... along with the Space Mountain complete refresh and overhaul (using the same track layout). Why blow all the money on ruining the center of the park with Cars that don't even belong on the MK? There is plenty of expansion space and need for things that would actually fit the feel and style of the park without irreversibly changing it forever.... In this era of "flex Space" and a need for attraction-less open space for kids to run around and play games, I am shocked that TSI's removal would be the big thing necessary... Corporate events on TSI could be pretty darn spiffy...especially if they created a "flex Space" somewhere on the island... I couple bridges and the parking of the Liberty Belle would also be a better solution to completely removing and filling in that area... I am in the "bargaining" stage of my grief...lol Denial, Anger Bargaining Depression and acceptance...a few more stages to go... but back to Tomorrowland, who wouldn't rather see them do a complete and total reimagination of Tomorrowland, saving SM, People Mover, Star Jets, Carousel and Tron... and radically making the land over into something jaw dropping and spectacular... Without having to touch the center of the park...except adding Villains behind HM and a Coco Expansion "Beyond Thunder Mountain"....

rle4lunch

Considering technology is moving waaaayyyy faster than ride/attraction development, it has to be hard to figure out where to take tomorrowland (and areas of epcot as well). That being said, maybe they should just stick to some sort of pseudo retro sci fi theme in there ?

Bocabear

Considering technology is moving waaaayyyy faster than ride/attraction development, it has to be hard to figure out where to take tomorrowland (and areas of epcot as well). That being said, maybe they should just stick to some sort of pseudo retro sci fi theme in there ?
I think we all think of Tomorrowland as a sort of Jetsons type tomorrow world.... So yes a mid century modernistic vision of the future is fun and optimistic....a good match the park...with a huge side of retro whimsy!

horatiog

Science Fantasy is the way to go -- this thematically fits in Magic Kingdom, which has a longstanding focus on whimsy and imagination. Frontierland features talking bears (and soon "a race car from the big city," lol), Adventureland features talking birds, Fantasyland is focused on fantasy, and Tomorrowland fits in well with a focus on an imagined future that could never realistically happen.

Opening Epcot while Tomorrowland was still theoretically focused on the realistic future was a rare miss on the part of 1970s WDI, IMO. As it stood, they effectively had two separate areas of WDW where realistic future attractions would fit -- and I think the way in which Tomorrowland has floundered ever since can be directly traced to stretching the concept farther than it could be developed.

Eisner's plan to redevelop Tomorrowland into a land focused on a whimsical fantasy future was an act of genius on the part of 90s WDI, even if the resulting product had many flaws.

This is why I'm upset Cosmic Rewind went to Epcot and Tron went to Magic Kingdom. That seems to me to be a particularly bizarre mix-up. Cosmic Rewind fits in perfectly between Space Mountain, Laugh Floor, and Buzz Lightyear, with its focus on aliens, fantasy characters, and space flight. And Tron was the solitary IP originally considered for Epcot: there was a plan to open a Tron-themed arcade in CommuniCore during the 1980s that didn't pan out. Tron also has the vibe of a somewhat realistic future: VR, the "metaverse," mind-uploading into computers, AI. All of these are themes that resonate in hard science fiction and are incredibly topical for the current moment. I find Tron Lightcycle Run inspiring in a weird way that makes me think of Epcot and not Magic Kingdom, and Cosmic Rewind entertaining in a way that makes me think of Magic Kingdom and not Epcot.

Bocabear

Science Fantasy is the way to go -- this thematically fits in Magic Kingdom, which has a longstanding focus on whimsy and imagination. Frontierland features talking bears (and soon "a race car from the big city," lol), Adventureland features talking birds, Fantasyland is focused on fantasy, and Tomorrowland fits in well with a focus on an imagined future that could never realistically happen.

Opening Epcot while Tomorrowland was still theoretically focused on the realistic future was a rare miss on the part of 1970s WDI, IMO. As it stood, they effectively had two separate areas of WDW where realistic future attractions would fit -- and I think the way in which Tomorrowland has floundered ever since can be directly traced to stretching the concept farther than it could be developed.

Eisner's plan to redevelop Tomorrowland into a land focused on a whimsical fantasy future was an act of genius on the part of 90s WDI, even if the resulting product had many flaws.

This is why I'm upset Cosmic Rewind went to Epcot and Tron went to Magic Kingdom. That seems to me to be a particularly bizarre mix-up. Cosmic Rewind fits in perfectly between Space Mountain, Laugh Floor, and Buzz Lightyear, with its focus on aliens, fantasy characters, and space flight. And Tron was the solitary IP originally considered for Epcot: there was a plan to open a Tron-themed arcade in CommuniCore during the 1980s that didn't pan out. Tron also has the vibe of a somewhat realistic future: VR, the "metaverse," mind-uploading into computers, AI. All of these are themes that resonate in hard science fiction and are incredibly topical for the current moment. I find Tron Lightcycle Run inspiring in a weird way that makes me think of Epcot and not Magic Kingdom, and Cosmic Rewind entertaining in a way that makes me think of Magic Kingdom and not Epcot.
that is so true...it is almost like they come up with a good plan and then reverse it on purpose.... They keep putting attractions in places they don't belong...I am waiting for Sleeping Beauty in Mission Space and Mulan in Morocco... It is all baffling to me.

horatiog

I wonder if the speedway in tomorrow lane would fit a mini wakanda…that would definitely boost Tomorrowland traffic.
I... don't hate that idea. I could totally imagine an alternate, um, tomorrow in which Cosmic Rewind had been built at MK and they built Wakanda-themed area next to it. There could be a ride focused on Shuri that takes you into the lab to test out new flight techology.

They want to integrate Black Panther at the parks, and that would certainly integrate with the vision I outlined where Tomorrowland focuses on fantastic advanced technology.

Disone

Like they did with discoveryland at Disneyland Paris! The steampunk future has kind of held up For over 30 years now without need for a major redo. I'm surprised that from that standpoint Disney has not mimicked this at Disneyland, or Walt Disney World. It's a classic view of the future through the eyes of the past visionaries such as Jules Verne. And it was lovely.
PXL_20240809_095336635.jpg

Bocabear

but Space Mountain in Disneyland Was redone...it is now Hyperspace Mountain and the theming that was the whole story of the Jules Verne from the earth to the moon is now gone and replaces with Star Wars overlay... So as lovely and timeless as it was, they did remove the heart of it...Just didn't remodel the exterior.....yet.....

Disone

but Space Mountain in Disneyland Was redone...it is now Hyperspace Mountain and the theming that was the whole story of the Jules Verne from the earth to the moon is now gone and replaces with Star Wars overlay... So as lovely and timeless as it was, they did remove the heart of it...Just didn't remodel the exterior.....yet.....
You're not wrong but I am referring to the exterior. Just the look. The look is timeless and does not need to be redone every 10 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom