Tis the Season to be Freezin': A December 2010 Trip Report

Hello, again! :wave: I’m back with yet another holiday trip report, and I just realized this was my and Brett’s sixth consecutive trip to Disney World for the Christmas season! We really are so lucky. It was just us for the first two, but since 2007 we’ve been enjoying annual December trips with Brett’s family. Hopefully the tradition will continue in years to come.

With every new trip report, I struggle to come up with a creative way to introduce ourselves. I mean, really, there are only so many ways to say it. Especially when I feel like I already know so many of you, and you us. So let’s be brief... the cast of characters include myself, Holly, and my fiancé, Brett. Yep, we’re all engaged and in love (for all the ooey gooey details, check out the engagement trip report). As with all my previous December reports, along with us are some familiar faces: Brett’s parents, Kathy and Danny, and his brother, Derek.

IMG_0996edit.jpg

For this trip we had the pleasure of staying at AKL’s Kidani Village in a two bedroom dedicated DVC unit with a savannah view for five nights, Sunday, 12/12 – Friday 12/17. Bring on the giraffes and zebras!

Many of you know that we got engaged just this past August and we’re planning our Disney wedding for March 2011. Yes, yes, I know, I still owe you all a pre-trip/planning report. As you can probably guess, we’ve been planning (and I’ve been stressing over) our March trip for the last couple months and nary a thought has been given to the December trip. Once we returned from our August trip and started saving every penny for March, we took a look at our ADRs for December and slashed and burned some reservations. RIP: Bluezoo, Bistro de Paris, Boma, and the Brown Derby. Look at that alliteration! And we nixed the usual character breakfast we do once a trip (I think it was 1900 Park Fare). Since then, we hadn’t thought much about it. Seriously, the week before we left Brett said something to me along the lines of “Our dining is going to be a fun surprise; I’ve entirely forgotten what we booked.”

In a money saving effort, Brett and I also tried to slash our plans for Universal/Islands of Adventure, but his parents were having none of it. They purchased everyone's Universal/IOA park tickets as a family Christmas present. Best future in-laws ever! Ever, ever. So I'll be reporting on the Wizarding World and other such things in this report as well.

Time to get started...

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Gotta just say Holly, guess what I bought tonight just because of this TR?

Fingerless gloves!! :ROFLOL:

Love the report, as usual!! I really hope I won't have to use those gloves in 12 days...

Oh, Amber, you're going to LOVE your fingerless gloves. Although, I also hope you don't have to use them on your next Disney trip!!

Notice anything missing from this "Wanted" poster? :lookaroun I was in awe of the way they captured the movie magic of the moving photograph, but . . . :lookaroun Where is the name of the criminal? :lookaroun

:lol: Seriously . . . or should I say, "Siriously?"

Loved Harry Potter Land and what it has done to Islands of Adventure. Can't wait to see it again when we return, whenever that may be. :lol:

Great report - enjoying it very much. :D

You know, I didn't even catch that. You're right about the moving posters, they were amazing.

Congrats on another marathon weekend, Doug!

Actually it's Ollivander's not Oliver's.....

The shops were designed small intentionally, to make it similar to the movies. It's a mix of Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade and maybe if the expansion goes ahead as planned they'll separate them.

I enjoyed both WDW and Universal.

Debbie Downer is kind of true, know this is a WDW forum primarily though.

My mistake, I was typing quickly and missed an important detail! Thanks for pointing that out though, I've went ahead and corrected it.

And welcome to WDWMagic.

HopLow

Thanks for the review of WWoHP! I feel the same way about the books - I absolutely LOVE them! However, I have such a clear vision in my head of how things are "supposed" to be, that the movies are a disappointment for me and I kind of feel the same way about WWoHP. Everyone I speak to is shocked that we're not going there next week, but honestly, it's not going to live up to my expectations and I can't deal with those crazy crowds. I'm just way too impatient. So thanks for the tour... It might be the only way I ever see it!

Love, love, LOVE the plush tree! And Dug is one of my favorites!! SQUIRREL!!

Disneyfalcon

Excellent report so far! I forgot to multi-quote so I'm sure I'll forget some stuff.

I do love my flash diffuser it helps. My camera comes out more frequently then my Disney trips, but my flash doesn't. That's why I haven't got enough practice on it! I need to pull it out all the time and play with it!

I agree, Hulks take off was awesome, but that ride throws you around! I felt like I'd been beat up!

I was worried when you left the Wizarding World without butterbeer or going in a shop!! We all split the butterbeer too. Very good, but crazy sweet! The shops were crazy too. We went in all of them, but that was no small task. I understand JK Rowling wanted to keep them authentic to her vision, but I feel like there should have been some compromise. I can't even imagine them in summer!!

WDWFigment

Excellent photos of Universal--the most I have seen of this place in a while, and it really makes me want to go back.

I really do need to practice outside of Disney. Ughhh, it's like my camera gear ends up in a closet between trips. It's time to change that.

Funny that you two skipped him... our hope was that if we went ahead and met him, maybe he'd be gone before our next trip. Yeah, right! I, too, am really surprised that Duffy was in a Big Fig from that long ago. I vaguely recall the parks trying to push the "official Disney teddy bear" a couple years back, and it didn't sell well. So I think that encouraged them to hit even harder with Duffy. The storybook pages set up in his queue were annoying at best. I guess I just think the back story seems so forced. C'mon, a picture of Jasmine holding Duffy? I don't think so!

I can only imagine what the CoP characters would look like with that kinda lens. For some reason (maybe the lighting in that last scene), Patricia is looking really rough.

You two aren't huge fans of the AK? Never would've guessed it! :lol: I may be flamed for saying it, but if they were my points (or dollars) I wouldn't spend the extra on a savannah view. I don't think it was truly worth it. Yes, it was cool and all, but I can have just as much fun people watching with a pool view room. I can understand how location plays a major role in keeping folks away from AKL when they're reliant on Disney transportation alone. Don't rent a car unless you're prepared to do it on EVERY subsequent trip. I think it would be incredibly hard to go back after getting used to the freedom it provides.

Thanks for the kind words on my flash shots. Poor Brett, I subjected him to multiple takes before I found some settings I liked. I'm sure it comes with practice, but I don't know how people just "know" what works without a few test runs. Yes they were with the cheap-o 50 1.8. Speaking of, I'm looking for a nice prime that's a bit wider for the crop sensor. Do you know anything about the Sigma 30?

Thanks for the tip on the diffuser. Amazon has one I think I'm going to grab for like $6. I never thought about bouncing it behind me; would that not put my shadow in the frame somehow?

I appreciate all the advice!

I have the same problem with photography, in that my camera sits in the closet when I'm not at Disney. This always causes me to be a tad rusty on the first day. I decided that this year, I have to do something about that. I am not one to make New Year's resolutions, but I made a "goal" to learn about off-camera and natural lighting, and to do a 208 project (a lot of people do "365 projects" where they take a photo a day; I think that's overzealous, so my goal is to use the camera four days a week (4*52=208)). We'll see if that helps; it at least makes me feel better about wasting so much money on photo-gear.

We try to avoid renting a car because it's another thing to 'bring us back to the real world'. I used to not check my email, the news, etc. while at WDW, but since getting an iPhone, I've sort of caved a bit on the email checking (still do it much more infrequently than at home). Having a rental car might be a little 'too real world'. I realize that may seem petty, but it's our rationale. The only time we really wait for the buses is in the morning; coming home we never have to wait, so it hasn't been a huge deal thus far. It seems like parking, using a tram, etc., might be just as big of a hassle. I'm not sure.

The Sigma 30 1.4 is my go-to Disney portrait lens. I don't have my laptop in front of me, but to give you an idea, here are the ballpark "numbers" as provided to me by Adobe Bridge: I used the Sigma for roughly 24% of my shots, making it my 3rd most used lens (behind the Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 70-200); the cheap-o Nikon 50 I used for approximately 2% of my photos. The Sigma is an awesome lens--it is light years ahead of the Canon/Nikon cheap-o 50mm, I think.

Don't bounce directly behind you, bounce up and backwards (45 degree angle).

Soaringirl

I'm just loving the report:sohappy:

The plush tree is amazing!! What a great idea!

Totally agree with you about the whole Duffy thing. Even my daughter who is 9 was not impressed. She kept saying who is Duffy? I mean he's adorable and all but who the heck is he? We of course agreed, then my husband decided to call him Doofy (kind of a cross between Doofus and Duffy), so that's how we now refer to him.

Reading your report reminded me we forgot to get the meatball sliders from Portobello. Darn it! Do you know if they are only served at the bar? And/or are there tables in the bar area. Don't know if I want my daughter sitting at a bar or if she would even be allowed to do so.

Anyway, thanks for an awesome trip report. I'm sure looking forward to the wedding one along with everyone else...Best wishes to you both!!:wave:

LisaG23

OMG Holly!!!!! I totally saw you several times on Dec 14th.......I was with my hubby and daughter waiting to see stitch when Brett took that picture i think. I was also in line during the pirate goofy pic! IM pretty sure we were behind you in line at Winnie the Pooh.....ive been searching your pics and im pretty sure i saw us in the background. How funny, right? SO close and didnt even realize it......lol. Who knows how many other times we were standing right next to each other......

tiaragirl

So, once upon a time I was in a local café in Sackville with a bunch of scholarly types reading about philosophy and history, and with my friend who is applying to grad school, when I noticed you had updated your trip report. As I was seated on a couch with my back to the wall, I thought a little peruse would do no harm.. until I started laughing about Kathy's run-in with Spiderman, at which point Kayla unplugged herself from her boiii Lil Wayne and asked me "what I was snickering about".

BUSTED.

So good, Holly =)

DiPSU224

Oh shoot...I was supposed to be getting dinner started but instead hopped over to the TR section and found a HollyBelle report! Guess dinner is going to be late tonight....I LOVE your TRs!
I adore your finger-less gloves. I have a cheapie pair from Target that my friends so affectionately call my "homeless man gloves".

After dinner Brett and I made a quick stop in the Chapeau to purchase some ears for our next trip. Yay! Wedding ears!

IMG_9599.jpg

Unfortunately, about six months ago (or more), they discontinued the fun top hat groom ears and replaced them with those hideous looking tuxedo groom ears. Due to supply/demand, folks on ebay are getting away with selling the top hat ears at more than $50 a pop. :eek: I don’t think so. Instead, I figured it would be just as easy (and much cheaper) to buy a basic costume style top hat and attach ears to it. Initially, I thought we’d have to buy some Mickey hat and pop the ears off so we could attach them to the top hat, but once inside the Chapeau I was delighted to find that they sell everything a la carte so you can make your own. Excellent! Brett’s ears only cost $2.50 apiece. I can’t wait until we get to wear them in March!

I am so sad they discontinued the top hat groom ears. Same for the original bride ears they used to have. I bought my bride ears back in 1999 after I graduated high school on my senior week trip. I knew that I would honeymoon there one day and I just had to have them. When I honeymooned back in 2006, they had just discontinued them. We only wore them for the first 2 days because they were killing my husband's head, but in those 2 days, I had no less than 10 people asking me each day where I had bought my ears. Do they still make the bride ears with the little tiara on the top or is it strictly the sequined ones?

Can't wait for more updates!

disneygirl1

Hey Hol! Thanks so much for your insight regarding Tony's! I think we are going to give the place a try in September!

As always great update!!1 We went to WWOHP in August and have to say I left with pretty much the same impressions you did!!! I LOVED FB, stores were TOO small! And butterbeer YUMMY!!!

I will say if we go back to Universal, I don't think I will buy the 2 park pass! I think I would just do IOA again. I enjoyed that portion of the park much better!

HouCuseChickie

I don't think you're being a Debbie Downer. Not that any place is going to be perfect at first, but I've heard a lot of little things about WWoHP that disappointed people. It doesn't mean there aren't amazing aspects, it just wasn't as mind blowing as one had hoped...from what I've been hearing.

And thank you for posting all of the Seuss pics. The Circus McGurkus shot really made me smile :D - probably my fave Seuss books. Funny that you don't like Seuss - reminds me of DH (who wasn't into it growing up) complaining that our girls are going to try and use Seuss words at school and get in trouble with their teachers. :lol:

Ugh- it's killing me- I started reading your updates last night and there was something else I was going to mention, but the kids and work have zapped all things from my brain. :hammer:Must re-read! Can't wait to read more!

sweetpee_1993

Killer pics of the Osborne Lights! Once we got home I was totally kicking myself for not trying to get more pictures of all the awesome details. Those bicycles and the tire swing were amoung my favorites.

Y'all are just too cute all bundled up in your warm layers. Love all the pics of y'all together.

Gosh, that french toast sure did take a beating, huh? There's no comparing even in pictures.

Agreed on the techno-beats of Space Mountain. What was the point? You don't even hear it consistantly enough to really do anything for the overall experience.

YOu got to see the new Pooh que! Color me jealous some more. I wanted to see it so bad and have kicked myself for not pushing harder to go back to see it since we've been back. Seeing everyone's pictures and hearing about it is almost painful. I was riiiiight there but wussed out on braving the oober-crowds to go see it. Dernit!

Love that y'all took the time to go meet Rapunzel & Flynn. I suppose I'm now relegated to waiting for the Blue Ray/DVD release to see this movie. Another dernit moment. I've heard that Flynn has something tied to the movie in his bag that he carries. Did you see what it is? Nobody says but I'm curious. LOL!

CoP. Now that I read what you have to say I really can see my love for that show definitely having strong roots in the nostalgia for me. I remember gazing at the scenes, especially the one you pictured of Patricia's room when she was indecent, and daydreaming about what it'd be like to live/play there. I think I wanted Patricia to be my big sister and do my hair, too. The AAs definitely could use a make-over of epic proportions. The boys find the final scene quite humorous for it's mish-mash of dated elements. Then again, I remember the thought of giving anything a voice command and it responding being like Jetson's crazy. I'm so ooooold... LOL! Honestly, could you maybe picture how vastly the show would be improved with some updated, better quality AAs along with some serious polishing and rework of that final scene? It's been a long time since that show didn't feel minimally maintained which really is a shame. I do love the music. I'm the goof-ball sitting there singing along...

Tony's. My brother ate there and said it was awful. I've not read a whole lot of good reviews so I was intrigued by your review. I have faith in your taste with these things. That steak looked better than just edible to me! Maybe this is a place to put back on the list of things to try. Thanks for the pics & info!

I think the thing you mentioned about the cold temps chasing you inside earlier than your norm is absolutely true. Tracey & I differ in our freezing January '09 adventure in that he enjoyed it somewhat more than me. We skipped Wishes one night and night time EMH at the MK another night because of the crazy cold temps which really, really bugged me at the time. This most definitely factored into my overall misery level within that trip. I was cold AND irked. LOL! I guess maybe I shouldn't have been such a whiner. I just hate to miss stuff that I love so much when we go on vacation for any reason.

Anywhoo, still lovin' the report and all the killer pics. Y'all rock!

sweetpee_1993

Stopping to respond again. Y'all just arrived at JB's Margaritaville.

First, do you know off-hand if those McD's smoothies are likely exploding with calories and/or fat? It looks yummy but I'm askeert a little because it comes from McD's and I've had their iced coffee. :hurl:

Golly, y'all were at IoA quite a while before there's anyone else in the background of your pics. Seriously. Y'all were well into your adventure there when it hit me and I asked, "Dang! Were they there alone???" LOL! Great pics, tho!

The Spiderman stuff is hilarious to me for a reason all Tracey's own. I giggle when I think about it. I'll hafta tell ya the story of Spiderman Tracey and how all that know the story seek all opportunities to razz him. He has a full collection going of Spidey stuff of all kinds simply by being ragged about "the incident". :lol:

I can imagine that the Harry Potter books would be high on your list. Confession: I was one of the reluctant ones. I think it was Goblet of Fire was about to be released and my sergeant at work (a 50-something grandma who was quite the colorful character I never would've pegged w/children's books) was making a fuss. I gave her a hard time. Here's a lady who read the Vampire Chronicles and a list of out-there things then she was getting excited about a stupid over-hyped kiddie book. I was resistant to the hype. I really was. She bet me dinner that I couldn't read the first chapter of Sorcerer's Stone and put the book down forever. It was night shift rotation and I was bored so I took her up on it. Well, I bought her dinner the next night then breezed thru the first 3 books. As soon as she finished book 4 she was handing it off to me. Every book since I bought on the first day of release. As much as I love the HP books, I can't *exactly* say it's my favorite series ever. There's another series of 3 books I think I was more blown away by but I can't really say much about them on a family-site so I'll just :zipit: about that. :goodnevil I agree that JK Rowling would be right up there with fascinating people to sit & talk with. I didn't know much about her background until just this past year. Yeah, intriguing lady to say the least. The richness of her stories really is a testament to an imagination that knows no bounds.

Before Potterville was added to IoA I always thought that if there was something I would want to go there to see it would be Seuss Landing. Green Eggs & Ham is a childhood favorite. I love the over-the-top details I see in the pictures. It looks like people are really in one of the stories which is good considering it's likely that was the intent. LOL!

Your comments about JB are so spot-on! My thinking exactly! Honest! I've never been particularly attached to "that cheeseburger song" or the "why don't we get drunk and..." thing. Heck, Margaritaville ~~Jimmy's signature tune~~ has never been my favorite by far. I don't even particularly enjoy margaritas since the Jose incident of '99. Nope. My faves are more along the lines of "Ace", "The Wino & I Know", "In the Shelter" and so many others. "Little Miss Magic" and "Delaney Talks to Statues" are 2 of the best odes to one's children I've ever lost myself listening to. Don't even get me started on his books. Back when I was a big reader I lived & breathed for what Jimmy would write next. This is exactly why I have to 150% agree that this person would be right up there as one the top people I'd ever want to sit & have a beer with. I've always said that. I used to daydream about it considering we used to go to the French Quarter so much & spent time in/around M'ville there. It wasn't unheard of for him to pop in and I always secretly wished I could physically hear him spin a tale. :D

Okee dokee. 'Nuff ramblin'. Back to the story!

sweetpee_1993

I don't think you're being a Debbie Downer. Not that any place is going to be perfect at first, but I've heard a lot of little things about WWoHP that disappointed people. It doesn't mean there aren't amazing aspects, it just wasn't as mind blowing as one had hoped...from what I've been hearing.

And thank you for posting all of the Seuss pics. The Circus McGurkus shot really made me smile :D - probably my fave Seuss books. Funny that you don't like Seuss - reminds me of DH (who wasn't into it growing up) complaining that our girls are going to try and use Seuss words at school and get in trouble with their teachers. :lol:

Ugh- it's killing me- I started reading your updates last night and there was something else I was going to mention, but the kids and work have zapped all things from my brain. :hammer:Must re-read! Can't wait to read more!

That's so funny! We cut the boys off of the Teletubbies fairly quickly because I was certain they'd only learn to whine and not speak which would make me completely insane! :lol:

sweetpee_1993

Okay. All caught up.

Rip, Ride, Rockit looks interesting. I don't think I'd go to US just to do that, tho. I had no idea that they did a Macy's parade there! When I read/saw that I started to get excited because watching that parade on tv every Thanksgiving morning is a huge tradition for me. But then Brett's mom said it was stupid so I guess I won't get excited. Maybe someday I'll go to NYC for the real deal instead of a lame substitution. Never been a fan of the Scrimps so can't feel any of that. I think I watched that show once when it first started when I was...ooh...17-ish??? The pic of everyone against the wall was cute, tho.

Dug! SQUIRREL!!! It's so cliche by now but I can't not love it and giggle every time. LOL! Great addition!

Fantastic dinner idea. Sounds right up my alley. And dontcha just luuuuurve those Pixar shorts? It truly is a trip to see where CG started and how far it's come even since Tin Toy. Out of curiosity, what's your favorite short? Mine is a toss-up between 'For the Birds' and 'Boundin'. Both stories speak to my heart. Chandler adores 'Red's Dream'. So many fabulous, rich little stories. So much ooey-gooey looooove.... :D

Cant' wait for more!!!! :sohappy:

AND...PS....You are not at all a Debbie-Downer! I think you were honest and gave your complete impression which is what it's about. Besides, it's your report. Rock the Debbie Downer if it's what you want. I don't mind a bit! :D

Well I started reading this trip report and couldn't stop.. So I read a few of your other ones too..

Plenty of fun ideas for when I can hopefully take my gf in September/October of this year!

I'll be following along with what you have left to report!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Thanks for the review of WWoHP! I feel the same way about the books - I absolutely LOVE them! However, I have such a clear vision in my head of how things are "supposed" to be, that the movies are a disappointment for me and I kind of feel the same way about WWoHP. Everyone I speak to is shocked that we're not going there next week, but honestly, it's not going to live up to my expectations and I can't deal with those crazy crowds. I'm just way too impatient. So thanks for the tour... It might be the only way I ever see it!

Love, love, LOVE the plush tree! And Dug is one of my favorites!! SQUIRREL!!

I understand what you mean with regards to the movies being a disappointment. And that's coming from someone who thinks they're well done. The Prisoner of Azkaban is one of my favorite books, but I thought it translated into one of the worst movies. But I'm one of those people that truly believes the movie version of a book can never meet my expectations. There's just no way the level of detail can be recreated. Plus, I like to create my own images as a read along.

Being a huge fan, you still might want to consider it one day. I was just happy that Universal in Orlando ended up with it, because I would've never made a trip out to California specifically for it. A day trip though, is more than worth it. The crowds at IOA were quite minimal while we were there. I can't imagine the days when you have to wait in a line just to enter the WWOP land.

Oh my goodness... we were so excited when we found Dug. He's a fairly new plush. I'm not sure why they waited so long to bring him out. I'd still like to find Kevin, as well. I think he would sit in the tree so regally.

Excellent report so far! I forgot to multi-quote so I'm sure I'll forget some stuff.

I do love my flash diffuser it helps. My camera comes out more frequently then my Disney trips, but my flash doesn't. That's why I haven't got enough practice on it! I need to pull it out all the time and play with it!

I agree, Hulks take off was awesome, but that ride throws you around! I felt like I'd been beat up!

I was worried when you left the Wizarding World without butterbeer or going in a shop!! We all split the butterbeer too. Very good, but crazy sweet! The shops were crazy too. We went in all of them, but that was no small task. I understand JK Rowling wanted to keep them authentic to her vision, but I feel like there should have been some compromise. I can't even imagine them in summer!!

Practice, practice, practice! That's what I need to be doing instead of writing trip reports. :lol: We only booked our photographer for the first part of our wedding day... and I'd like to be able to get some decent shots at night, so learning how to use the flash is necessary.

I would've preferred to stay in Hogsmeade longer in the morning because I think the shops would've been easier to manage. It's like we ran in and ran out. Poor Ginger was not happy about that! :D Brett tends to get claustrophobic and he was having a helluva time with the shops. We couldn't seem to find a way out of the one at the end of the Forbidden Journey (Filch's?) and this guy started pushing on Brett so he could get to some merchandise and Brett couldn't go anywhere. It was insane. Plus, even worse, judging by Honeydukes alone, there's no way that place is handicap accessible, which is a real shame.

Excellent photos of Universal--the most I have seen of this place in a while, and it really makes me want to go back.

I have the same problem with photography, in that my camera sits in the closet when I'm not at Disney. This always causes me to be a tad rusty on the first day. I decided that this year, I have to do something about that. I am not one to make New Year's resolutions, but I made a "goal" to learn about off-camera and natural lighting, and to do a 208 project (a lot of people do "365 projects" where they take a photo a day; I think that's overzealous, so my goal is to use the camera four days a week (4*52=208)). We'll see if that helps; it at least makes me feel better about wasting so much money on photo-gear.

We try to avoid renting a car because it's another thing to 'bring us back to the real world'. I used to not check my email, the news, etc. while at WDW, but since getting an iPhone, I've sort of caved a bit on the email checking (still do it much more infrequently than at home). Having a rental car might be a little 'too real world'. I realize that may seem petty, but it's our rationale. The only time we really wait for the buses is in the morning; coming home we never have to wait, so it hasn't been a huge deal thus far. It seems like parking, using a tram, etc., might be just as big of a hassle. I'm not sure.

The Sigma 30 1.4 is my go-to Disney portrait lens. I don't have my laptop in front of me, but to give you an idea, here are the ballpark "numbers" as provided to me by Adobe Bridge: I used the Sigma for roughly 24% of my shots, making it my 3rd most used lens (behind the Tokina 11-16 and Nikon 70-200); the cheap-o Nikon 50 I used for approximately 2% of my photos. The Sigma is an awesome lens--it is light years ahead of the Canon/Nikon cheap-o 50mm, I think.

Don't bounce directly behind you, bounce up and backwards (45 degree angle).

Yeah, my sentiment on resolutions is quite similar. In fact, we too use the term "goals" instead! I think I'd still struggle to take photographs four times a week. That's ambitious! Good luck with it. Part of the problem for me would be finding things I want to photograph.

I fully understand the approach of not wanting to be "in the real world" at Disney. We have the same mentality. I don't check emails, and I don't even carry my phone in the parks. :eek: Once we're on Disney property we absolutely do not leave it. With the exception of Universal on this trip, I can't remember the last time we left property once a trip began. Driving doesn't really make us feel like we're in the "real world" because Disney roads and road signs aren't exactly "real world." While the trams can be annoying at times, we usually just park and walk. Plus, you lose so much time with the buses because they don't take the most direct route from Point A to Point B. I get that there are traffic reasons for that, but it's so exasperating.

Hearing your thoughts on the Sigma 30 1.4 make me want it even more. I've been eying it for some time for the focal length... I find the 50 to be so awkward. Now if only I can find it in the budget to get one before March!

I'm just loving the report

The plush tree is amazing!! What a great idea!

Totally agree with you about the whole Duffy thing. Even my daughter who is 9 was not impressed. She kept saying who is Duffy? I mean he's adorable and all but who the heck is he? We of course agreed, then my husband decided to call him Doofy (kind of a cross between Doofus and Duffy), so that's how we now refer to him.

Reading your report reminded me we forgot to get the meatball sliders from Portobello. Darn it! Do you know if they are only served at the bar? And/or are there tables in the bar area. Don't know if I want my daughter sitting at a bar or if she would even be allowed to do so.

Anyway, thanks for an awesome trip report. I'm sure looking forward to the wedding one along with everyone else...Best wishes to you both!!

Thanks, soaringirl! I'm not surprised to see that we aren't alone in our dislike of Duffy. It just seems so forced and I think a lot of us "regular" park goers really see that.

There are a few (like maybe 2) tables in the bar area, but they're at bar height and I think they were along the wall leading back to the restroom. I did see the meatballs on the appetizer portion of the menu. I'm sure if you were in there during lunch and wanted to have meatballs at a real table, they would accommodate your family. Lunchtime would probably be best, because then you wouldn't have to worry about having a reservation.

OMG Holly!!!!! I totally saw you several times on Dec 14th.......I was with my hubby and daughter waiting to see stitch when Brett took that picture i think. I was also in line during the pirate goofy pic! IM pretty sure we were behind you in line at Winnie the Pooh.....ive been searching your pics and im pretty sure i saw us in the background. How funny, right? SO close and didnt even realize it......lol. Who knows how many other times we were standing right next to each other......

That's so wild!! Especially considering we crossed paths in at least three different areas of the park.

So, once upon a time I was in a local café in Sackville with a bunch of scholarly types reading about philosophy and history, and with my friend who is applying to grad school, when I noticed you had updated your trip report. As I was seated on a couch with my back to the wall, I thought a little peruse would do no harm.. until I started laughing about Kathy's run-in with Spiderman, at which point Kayla unplugged herself from her boiii Lil Wayne and asked me "what I was snickering about".

BUSTED.

So good, Holly =)

Lil Wayne?! :lol: Can't say he's my boiii! But what I can say is you took me back to college for just a moment there, what with all the scholarly types and philosophy. I can just see you tucked away in a corner reading up on my trip report now.

Oh shoot...I was supposed to be getting dinner started but instead hopped over to the TR section and found a HollyBelle report! Guess dinner is going to be late tonight....I LOVE your TRs!
I adore your finger-less gloves. I have a cheapie pair from Target that my friends so affectionately call my "homeless man gloves".

I am so sad they discontinued the top hat groom ears. Same for the original bride ears they used to have. I bought my bride ears back in 1999 after I graduated high school on my senior week trip. I knew that I would honeymoon there one day and I just had to have them. When I honeymooned back in 2006, they had just discontinued them. We only wore them for the first 2 days because they were killing my husband's head, but in those 2 days, I had no less than 10 people asking me each day where I had bought my ears. Do they still make the bride ears with the little tiara on the top or is it strictly the sequined ones?

Can't wait for more updates!

Homeless man gloves?! OMG that is the perfect name for them. Mine are from Target too! And I'm in love with them.

Talk about having some foresight, buying the ears you liked back in 1999! I wish I'd have thought of that with the top hat. I really don't understand why it's been discontinued because the tuxedo ones are ridiculous looking. You know I've heard that others didn't like the top hat because it felt too small... so maybe it's a good thing that we'll be making our own. Brett can find a comfortable hat and we can just pop the ears on. I prefer wearing a headband to the actual hat, so I didn't check out the other options too closely. But I did see a hat version, I just can't remember if it had the tiara on top or not. As for the headband, I could do without the full-on sequins, but I'm making an exception just this once on wearing plastic things that bling. :lol:

Hey Hol! Thanks so much for your insight regarding Tony's! I think we are going to give the place a try in September!

As always great update!!1 We went to WWOHP in August and have to say I left with pretty much the same impressions you did!!! I LOVED FB, stores were TOO small! And butterbeer YUMMY!!!

I will say if we go back to Universal, I don't think I will buy the 2 park pass! I think I would just do IOA again. I enjoyed that portion of the park much better!

Yeah, I have to agree with regards to the two park pass. Universal just felt so incredibly run down in comparison to IOA. Next time we venture off WDW property it will probably be to hit up Busch Gardens in Tampa. As much as I enjoyed the Wizarding World, it won't be enough to draw me back for quite some time.

And thank you for posting all of the Seuss pics. The Circus McGurkus shot really made me smile - probably my fave Seuss books. Funny that you don't like Seuss - reminds me of DH (who wasn't into it growing up) complaining that our girls are going to try and use Seuss words at school and get in trouble with their teachers.

Ugh- it's killing me- I started reading your updates last night and there was something else I was going to mention, but the kids and work have zapped all things from my brain. Must re-read! Can't wait to read more!

The theming in Seussland was so great and I'm glad the pictures made you smile. I wasn't kidding when I said it looked like Christmas had thrown up in a good way... it was so fun and festive. Plus there were random Who's out wandering around and talking to guests, which just added to the energy and spirit in that area. I can just see your daughters spouting off Seuss at school... cuteness abounds!

Killer pics of the Osborne Lights! Once we got home I was totally kicking myself for not trying to get more pictures of all the awesome details. Those bicycles and the tire swing were amoung my favorites.

Y'all are just too cute all bundled up in your warm layers. Love all the pics of y'all together.

Aww thanks, Kelly. Looking like we love each other is easy when we're trying to keep warm. :lol:

Gosh, that french toast sure did take a beating, huh? There's no comparing even in pictures.

Agreed on the techno-beats of Space Mountain. What was the point? You don't even hear it consistantly enough to really do anything for the overall experience.

Ughhhh... the French toast was such a disappointment. This may just be my and Brett's last trip doing a sit down breakfast every single morning. After losing Boatwright's it's been downhill ever since. I think I'd much rather have a muffin from one of the bakeries.

Techno just isn't my thing.

YOu got to see the new Pooh que! Color me jealous some more. I wanted to see it so bad and have kicked myself for not pushing harder to go back to see it since we've been back. Seeing everyone's pictures and hearing about it is almost painful. I was riiiiight there but wussed out on braving the oober-crowds to go see it. Dernit!

Love that y'all took the time to go meet Rapunzel & Flynn. I suppose I'm now relegated to waiting for the Blue Ray/DVD release to see this movie. Another dernit moment. I've heard that Flynn has something tied to the movie in his bag that he carries. Did you see what it is? Nobody says but I'm curious. LOL!

Don't be too jealous, only half the queue was open, the other half (what appeared to be Tigger's Bouncy Place" was blocked off with some of those potted trees. So look at it this way, when you get to see it, you'll be able to experience it in all its glory.

I have my guesses as to what Flynn was carrying around in his satchel, but I won't say if you haven't seen the movie. We very rarely go to the movies, and we dragged our heals enough this Christmas season that we only ended up seeing one... we picked Tangled over the newest Harry Potter. And I'm so glad we did. Mother Gothel is a fabulous villain.

CoP. Now that I read what you have to say I really can see my love for that show definitely having strong roots in the nostalgia for me. I remember gazing at the scenes, especially the one you pictured of Patricia's room when she was indecent, and daydreaming about what it'd be like to live/play there. I think I wanted Patricia to be my big sister and do my hair, too. The AAs definitely could use a make-over of epic proportions. The boys find the final scene quite humorous for it's mish-mash of dated elements. Then again, I remember the thought of giving anything a voice command and it responding being like Jetson's crazy. I'm so ooooold... LOL! Honestly, could you maybe picture how vastly the show would be improved with some updated, better quality AAs along with some serious polishing and rework of that final scene? It's been a long time since that show didn't feel minimally maintained which really is a shame. I do love the music. I'm the goof-ball sitting there singing along...

Tony's. My brother ate there and said it was awful. I've not read a whole lot of good reviews so I was intrigued by your review. I have faith in your taste with these things. That steak looked better than just edible to me! Maybe this is a place to put back on the list of things to try. Thanks for the pics & info!

I understand how and why people have a nostalgic attachment to CoP but I never saw it as a child and find it to be quite silly. But I do love the music and the message!

Maybe my expectations for Tony's aren't incredibly high, but I've never had a bad meal there. And I like the ambiance of the restaurant.

I think the thing you mentioned about the cold temps chasing you inside earlier than your norm is absolutely true. Tracey & I differ in our freezing January '09 adventure in that he enjoyed it somewhat more than me. We skipped Wishes one night and night time EMH at the MK another night because of the crazy cold temps which really, really bugged me at the time. This most definitely factored into my overall misery level within that trip. I was cold AND irked. LOL! I guess maybe I shouldn't have been such a whiner. I just hate to miss stuff that I love so much when we go on vacation for any reason.

Anywhoo, still lovin' the report and all the killer pics. Y'all rock!

I can understand how missing out on things just enhanced your overall frustration with the trip last January. I don't think I felt that as much because this was kind of a freebie trip for Brett and I, and we're going back again so soon.

Stopping to respond again. Y'all just arrived at JB's Margaritaville.

First, do you know off-hand if those McD's smoothies are likely exploding with calories and/or fat? It looks yummy but I'm askeert a little because it comes from McD's and I've had their iced coffee.

I don't have a clue what the fat content is in one of those smoothies, I just know that I'm addicted to them! I believe they're marketed as having non-fat or low-fat yogurt and real fruit. Whether or not that is the case, is a different matter entirely. :lol:

Golly, y'all were at IoA quite a while before there's anyone else in the background of your pics. Seriously. Y'all were well into your adventure there when it hit me and I asked, "Dang! Were they there alone???" LOL! Great pics, tho!

The Spiderman stuff is hilarious to me for a reason all Tracey's own. I giggle when I think about it. I'll hafta tell ya the story of Spiderman Tracey and how all that know the story seek all opportunities to razz him. He has a full collection going of Spidey stuff of all kinds simply by being ragged about "the incident".

I'd say we were there on a very low crowd level day. I'd say the cold temps kept a lot of people away, including any locals. The longest we waited for anything at IOA was 15 minutes and that was for Dr. Doom, which has a really slow load/queue set up.

I can imagine that the Harry Potter books would be high on your list. Confession: I was one of the reluctant ones. I think it was Goblet of Fire was about to be released and my sergeant at work (a 50-something grandma who was quite the colorful character I never would've pegged w/children's books) was making a fuss. I gave her a hard time. Here's a lady who read the Vampire Chronicles and a list of out-there things then she was getting excited about a stupid over-hyped kiddie book. I was resistant to the hype. I really was. She bet me dinner that I couldn't read the first chapter of Sorcerer's Stone and put the book down forever. It was night shift rotation and I was bored so I took her up on it. Well, I bought her dinner the next night then breezed thru the first 3 books. As soon as she finished book 4 she was handing it off to me. Every book since I bought on the first day of release. As much as I love the HP books, I can't *exactly* say it's my favorite series ever. There's another series of 3 books I think I was more blown away by but I can't really say much about them on a family-site so I'll just about that. I agree that JK Rowling would be right up there with fascinating people to sit & talk with. I didn't know much about her background until just this past year. Yeah, intriguing lady to say the least. The richness of her stories really is a testament to an imagination that knows no bounds.

Smart lady getting you to read the books! I hate that the movies are the only way many people will experience the series because they just don't hold a candle to the books, especially when you get into the later books (5-7).

Before Potterville was added to IoA I always thought that if there was something I would want to go there to see it would be Seuss Landing. Green Eggs & Ham is a childhood favorite. I love the over-the-top details I see in the pictures. It looks like people are really in one of the stories which is good considering it's likely that was the intent. LOL!

Ya know, it did feel a bit like being in one of the books. Definitely a job well done with that land.

Your comments about JB are so spot-on! My thinking exactly! Honest! I've never been particularly attached to "that cheeseburger song" or the "why don't we get drunk and..." thing. Heck, Margaritaville ~~Jimmy's signature tune~~ has never been my favorite by far. I don't even particularly enjoy margaritas since the Jose incident of '99. Nope. My faves are more along the lines of "Ace", "The Wino & I Know", "In the Shelter" and so many others. "Little Miss Magic" and "Delaney Talks to Statues" are 2 of the best odes to one's children I've ever lost myself listening to. Don't even get me started on his books. Back when I was a big reader I lived & breathed for what Jimmy would write next. This is exactly why I have to 150% agree that this person would be right up there as one the top people I'd ever want to sit & have a beer with. I've always said that. I used to daydream about it considering we used to go to the French Quarter so much & spent time in/around M'ville there. It wasn't unheard of for him to pop in and I always secretly wished I could physically hear him spin a tale.

Okee dokee. 'Nuff ramblin'. Back to the story!

I couldn't have said it better myself. And add "Savannah Fare You Well" to that list of songs about one's children. And "Where is Joe Merchant?" is such a fun/silly read! We recently added "Swine Not" to our collection, but neither of us has read it yet.

Okay. All caught up.

Rip, Ride, Rockit looks interesting. I don't think I'd go to US just to do that, tho. I had no idea that they did a Macy's parade there! When I read/saw that I started to get excited because watching that parade on tv every Thanksgiving morning is a huge tradition for me. But then Brett's mom said it was stupid so I guess I won't get excited. Maybe someday I'll go to NYC for the real deal instead of a lame substitution. Never been a fan of the Scrimps so can't feel any of that. I think I watched that show once when it first started when I was...ooh...17-ish??? The pic of everyone against the wall was cute, tho.

I think Danny made some comment that the parade had all kinds of reject balloons in it. And the fact that the employees weren't feeling it was sooooo obvious. Rip, Ride, Rockit was definitely fun, but not worth the price of admission. Plus, I was disappointed when we weren't able to get the Muppets Rainbow Connection to play for us. We ended up riding along to No Doubt's Hella Good.

Dug! SQUIRREL!!! It's so cliche by now but I can't not love it and giggle every time. LOL! Great addition!

Fantastic dinner idea. Sounds right up my alley. And dontcha just luuuuurve those Pixar shorts? It truly is a trip to see where CG started and how far it's come even since Tin Toy. Out of curiosity, what's your favorite short? Mine is a toss-up between 'For the Birds' and 'Boundin'. Both stories speak to my heart. Chandler adores 'Red's Dream'. So many fabulous, rich little stories. So much ooey-gooey looooove....

Cant' wait for more!!!!

You know, I don't have the slightest clue which one is my favorite. That's a good question. I need to watch through them all again. But I adore "Partly Cloudy" and "Presto" is so much fun. "One Man Band" and "Lifted" are both great too. A favorite? That's hard!

AND...PS....You are not at all a Debbie-Downer! I think you were honest and gave your complete impression which is what it's about. Besides, it's your report. Rock the Debbie Downer if it's what you want. I don't mind a bit! :D

Well, I was being kinda facetious when I made the Debbie Downer comment, so I'll have to agree with you. :lol: I'm very much a glass half full type.

Well I started reading this trip report and couldn't stop.. So I read a few of your other ones too..

Plenty of fun ideas for when I can hopefully take my gf in September/October of this year!

I'll be following along with what you have left to report!

Aww thanks. I hope you and your girlfriend have a fabulous trip come October. It's my favorite time of year for a Disney trip!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 5 – Thursday, December 16: Epcot

We woke up early again on Thursday and took off for the Polynesian. Breakfast awaited us at everybody’s favorite, the Kona Café. Hey, look at us… we’re not swaddled in layers and layers of fabric! Now, that, is exciting:

DSC03251.jpg

They were serving pumpkin pancakes as some sort of special, so Brett and I split those. They were super tasty.

IMG_9954.jpg

IMG_9962.jpg

Shortly after opening we were at Epcot, where we saw some topiaries... uncovered!

IMG_9965.jpg

IMG_9966.jpg

DSC03254_1.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We picked up Soarin’ fastpasses and then got in the short line at the Character Spot. Kathy has really come around to character photos after having so much fun with them last year.

IMG_9970.jpg

IMG_9983.jpg

IMG_9986.jpg

IMG_9995.jpg

After meeting us, Minnie decided she wanted an individual photo shoot:

IMG_9997.jpg

IMG_9998.jpg

IMG_9999.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
From the Character Spot we made our way over to Test Track.

DSC03284.jpg

DSC03287.jpg

There wasn’t anyone in standby so we all rode together, which was fun.

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

We made a quick run through Mousegear for more browsing and then wandered back to the Land pavilion so we could ride Soarin’ with our fastpasses.

IMG_0048.jpg

And then I think Derek mentioned that he kind of wanted to go over to the Studios because he’d missed out on that park earlier in the trip. No problem. It was about 11 am, so Brett and I made a quick stop in Guest Relations as we were leaving the park to cancel our lunch ADRs because we knew we wouldn’t be using them.

So long for now, Epcot! We’ll be back for dinner.

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

Holy moly, that was my quickest morning update EVER! Obviously there was nothing specific to report. :lol:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
So we got in the car and started talking about what we were going to do at DHS. TSMM seemed to be the general consensus, at which point I was thinking we'd be waiting in a major line. Brett verbalizes exactly what I’m thinking and then everyone kind of decides they would probably rather spend some time enjoying the resort instead of going to DHS. This is perfectly fine; however, if Brett and I had known it, we would’ve stayed put at Epcot a little while longer.

Anyway, we ended up debating what to do for lunch and somehow found ourselves at Jambo House. Oh how this lobby smokes the one at Kidani...

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

We meandered down by the pool and into the Mara.

IMG_0076.jpg

It was still kind of early and I wasn’t that hungry, so I got a cheese Danish for lunch. It was actually exactly what I needed. I’d been feeling like I was consuming way too much food up to this point. Maybe that’s because we weren’t burning it off at the usual pace during this trip.

IMG_0075.jpg

Brett had a pizza

IMG_0072.jpg

Brett and I played a quick game of tic tac toe while waiting around Zawadi. Fun!

IMG_0067.jpg

And then we all headed back to Kidani.

IMG_0095.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom