Tis the Season to be Freezin': A December 2010 Trip Report

Hello, again! :wave: I’m back with yet another holiday trip report, and I just realized this was my and Brett’s sixth consecutive trip to Disney World for the Christmas season! We really are so lucky. It was just us for the first two, but since 2007 we’ve been enjoying annual December trips with Brett’s family. Hopefully the tradition will continue in years to come.

With every new trip report, I struggle to come up with a creative way to introduce ourselves. I mean, really, there are only so many ways to say it. Especially when I feel like I already know so many of you, and you us. So let’s be brief... the cast of characters include myself, Holly, and my fiancé, Brett. Yep, we’re all engaged and in love (for all the ooey gooey details, check out the engagement trip report). As with all my previous December reports, along with us are some familiar faces: Brett’s parents, Kathy and Danny, and his brother, Derek.

IMG_0996edit.jpg

For this trip we had the pleasure of staying at AKL’s Kidani Village in a two bedroom dedicated DVC unit with a savannah view for five nights, Sunday, 12/12 – Friday 12/17. Bring on the giraffes and zebras!

Many of you know that we got engaged just this past August and we’re planning our Disney wedding for March 2011. Yes, yes, I know, I still owe you all a pre-trip/planning report. As you can probably guess, we’ve been planning (and I’ve been stressing over) our March trip for the last couple months and nary a thought has been given to the December trip. Once we returned from our August trip and started saving every penny for March, we took a look at our ADRs for December and slashed and burned some reservations. RIP: Bluezoo, Bistro de Paris, Boma, and the Brown Derby. Look at that alliteration! And we nixed the usual character breakfast we do once a trip (I think it was 1900 Park Fare). Since then, we hadn’t thought much about it. Seriously, the week before we left Brett said something to me along the lines of “Our dining is going to be a fun surprise; I’ve entirely forgotten what we booked.”

In a money saving effort, Brett and I also tried to slash our plans for Universal/Islands of Adventure, but his parents were having none of it. They purchased everyone's Universal/IOA park tickets as a family Christmas present. Best future in-laws ever! Ever, ever. So I'll be reporting on the Wizarding World and other such things in this report as well.

Time to get started...

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Ugh! The show-boating...I don't really have a team that I follow so I dunno about that. Tracey was a Dallas fan for a long time but hasn't been so interested in them since Jimmy Johnson left. In fact, just tonight he gave me official permission to ditch his old Dallas Cowboys ornament. Gasp! I *might* have called myself a Dallas fan back when Aikman was on the team. I mean, c'mon, who wouldn't be a fan of that backside?! Romo just doesn't cut it. He's too much of a pretty-boy for my taste. Blech! Either way, I imagine if that were one of my sons show-boating into the endzone and positive outcome or not they'd be in hot water with me: 1. Sportsmanship and graciousness 2. Counting those chickens before they hatch. I'm a mean mommy. I know.

I was thinking that perhaps Brett was at a disadvantage with regards to the timing. He was totally the under-dog from the get-go. Hey! Kudos to him for even going. Knowing how long & insane those TSMM FP lines get, I can't say that I would've gone. I probably would've told everyone we'd suffer it out in standby or not go at all. LOL!

I have a nephew who does the sag thing. Well, unless he comes into my house. You can watch him when he walks thru the door. He'll pull his pants up & tighten his belt. If he doesn't, Uncle Tracey will pants him them treat him to a mega-wedgy!

The Christmas trees. Oh yes! My mother-in-law had a cool idea that I liked. She draped Mardi Gras beads all over the kids' tree in her den at her house. Your mom's leis made me think of that. Oh! And someday when y'all have kids you'll need a family tree to fill with the various ornaments they'll make at school. Those are my favorites. Our tree nowadays is full of whatever mish-mash of ornaments that we've collected over the years. We buy ornaments on trips, stuff that the kids have made, that relatives have made, personalized Disney ornaments for almost all of our trips, ornaments my mom made when I was a baby, some that came from Tracey's parents, etc. Decorating/undecorating is like this huge stroll down memory lane. I love it!

The camera strap! OMG! Y'all made that?! You must give me a basic idea of what you used to do this. Did you start with all the pieces & parts or did you take a plain, quality strap & sew the ribbon over? There's tons of great Disney ribbons out there. I bet I could do this! I'd also like to use the same idea to make Riley some new collars & leashes. Ooooh...you got my mind spinning....

Imagine that fantastic toy tree outside Once Upon a Toy at Downtown Disney without all the board games and other toys underneath it. That would ruin that tree! I want to see presents under Epcot's tree again. I really, really do.

OMG! Yes! The Japanese get into the characters so much more. I loooove Daisy's outfits! I love all the different outfits they do on the characters over there. You don't even have to go to Tokyo Disney to soak up the awesomeness either. I'm reading a TR from TDL right now where the girl went to Kiddieland in Harajuku and they have this killer line of Minnie Mouse plushes called "Minnie Couture". There's a kick-butt one on eBay right now with an extra outfit for the bargain price of $125 + shipping. Ugh! Why doesn't WDW do anything this awesome?!?! I've never been as fascinated with Japanese culture as I am right now. In reading up on TDL I'm learning how conscientous the people are. Like they wear face masks over their mouths/noses if they go into the public when they're sick so they don't spread their germs. It's little things that clues you into how different and AMAZING the little cultural differences are. I'm ready to go! Now to just save that kinda money up..... LOL!

Yeah, we aren't Dallas fans around here. In fact, Brett's love of the Eagles was born out of his hatred for the Cowboys (his dad's favorite team). :lol:

A mardi gras style tree sounds like a lot of fun, too. There are just so many different options when you think about it. Pulling the plush out each year is a bit like taking a trip down memory lane, seeing as how we try to associate the plush purchase with the trip as much as possible.

I'm with you on the Downtown Disney tree... I LOVE that tree, it's one of my favorites. And you're right, it would really be lacking if they removed all the board games.

For the camera strap, we started with all the pieces and parts (most can be found at your local craft store). Basically, we took a camera strap we had, studied it, and then recreated it. I like your idea of using a legitimate strap and adding a ribbon to it, that sounds like it would work too, and be much quicker.

Yeah, I'd love to plan a trip to Tokyo. Derek went last year and brought me a killer pair of Chip and Dale socks. Seriously, one sock is Chip and the other is Dale. And being a huge fan of Stitch, I would be sooo excited to see the parks when he takes over, turning it into Stitch Kingdom. Could you imagine the revolt we'd have on our hands over here if that happened?! :ROFLOL:

I do like having multiple lenses in the cruise room! It's so convenient!! I hear you abou the dinner table though. It's always in my lap, on the table, etc. Never feels safe!

I'm very impressed with your flash work. I have really got to get used to mine. I've had more luck with it lately, so I need to keep playing!

I love the smoldering picture by the way! Awesome!

Thanks, Tammy. But don't be too impressed with my flash work, seeing as there are multiple photos that I won't be posting because I couldn't get it right. I really do need to practice outside of Disney. Ughhh, it's like my camera gear ends up in a closet between trips. It's time to change that.

The CM took two quick pictures back to back of us with Flynn and Rapunzel and I prefer the second one because Brett is totally laughing and Flynn is still smoldering away. :D

Agree with you about Duffy. We actually didn't even meet him on our trip (a rarity, as we normally stop for ANY characters we have never met. I think it would have been more appealing to us if it weren’t so over-hyped and marketed. I was actually a little surprised when I purchased a Big Fig this year from 2005/2006 that had Duffy in it (in Santa Mickey’s bag). I knew he had been popular in Tokyo for some time, but I didn’t think it was that long. Just the same, we probably should have met him!

I laughed at the botox comment. I got some character close-ups from CoP with the 70-200 and their faces, especially Grandma’s, look SCARY. I would post them here, but this is a family site.

Your shots of Kidani make it look really nice, but we’re reluctant to stay there due to its proximity to the main parks (AK isn’t our favorite). Since we presently rely on Disney transportation, I don’t know if we could handle that. We’ll probably save AKV until we start renting a car.

The portraits of/by you at the Osborne Lights are great. I assume those are with the 50mm? We tried to have a friend take similar photos of us, but I opted to have him use the 70-200 because it produces nicer bokeh. Unfortunately, it weighs a lot, and is hard to hold steady, so few of the shots turned out. Next time we’ll just go with the 50.

The lighting looks good on a lot of these. I’m hardly a master of lighting, myself, so take this with a grain of salt, but if you’re having problems with shadows when bouncing the flash, try using a diffuser instead OR bouncing behind you (if possible).

A diffuser is also great for photos outdoors. I bought a cheap Hong Kong one off eBay for $.99 shipped before our honeymoon (http://cgi.ebay.com/Bounce-Flash-Di...=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item33641d35e1 - example of what it looks like; I’m sure the Canon ones are similarly priced), but I used it so much in December that I’m considering getting this Gary Fong knock-off: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=344348&t=2553905 Whatever you do, I wouldn’t get the real Fong diffuser, as it’s like $60. You might even start with the $.99 to see if it’s something you would use.

Funny that you two skipped him... our hope was that if we went ahead and met him, maybe he'd be gone before our next trip. Yeah, right! I, too, am really surprised that Duffy was in a Big Fig from that long ago. I vaguely recall the parks trying to push the "official Disney teddy bear" a couple years back, and it didn't sell well. So I think that encouraged them to hit even harder with Duffy. The storybook pages set up in his queue were annoying at best. I guess I just think the back story seems so forced. C'mon, a picture of Jasmine holding Duffy? I don't think so!

I can only imagine what the CoP characters would look like with that kinda lens. For some reason (maybe the lighting in that last scene), Patricia is looking really rough.

You two aren't huge fans of the AK? Never would've guessed it! :lol: I may be flamed for saying it, but if they were my points (or dollars) I wouldn't spend the extra on a savannah view. I don't think it was truly worth it. Yes, it was cool and all, but I can have just as much fun people watching with a pool view room. I can understand how location plays a major role in keeping folks away from AKL when they're reliant on Disney transportation alone. Don't rent a car unless you're prepared to do it on EVERY subsequent trip. I think it would be incredibly hard to go back after getting used to the freedom it provides.

Thanks for the kind words on my flash shots. Poor Brett, I subjected him to multiple takes before I found some settings I liked. I'm sure it comes with practice, but I don't know how people just "know" what works without a few test runs. Yes they were with the cheap-o 50 1.8. Speaking of, I'm looking for a nice prime that's a bit wider for the crop sensor. Do you know anything about the Sigma 30?

Thanks for the tip on the diffuser. Amazon has one I think I'm going to grab for like $6. I never thought about bouncing it behind me; would that not put my shadow in the frame somehow?

I appreciate all the advice!

Ugh!!! I so did not want to leave AKL!!

We're heading back the end of August into Sept, and I definitely plan to enjoy afternoons at the pool as much as I can!

I'm such a scatter brain these days! I know you got engaged and all that fun stuff. But who knows how I missed the details on the March Wedding :shrug:!!! Can't wait to hear all about that! It's coming up fast!

Man, it looks like it was colder then the week we were there, none of the foliage was covered when we were there yet!

How do you like Tony's? Thinking of trying it in August, but reviews alway seem to be poor.

March really is coming up FAST! I'm running out of weekends to get the little things accomplished. I don't know how anyone plans and executes a huge wedding.

It was nice the day we arrived (Sunday) and then when that rain came in it brought the cold air. On our last day the topiaries had been freed of their blankets, and it started to warm up.

I know Tony's has a relatively bad rap, but I like it. Brett and I ate there on our very first trip and have always enjoyed the ambiance. We were seated on the porch one evening and the parade was coming through so it was perfect. The food has always been good, but it won't blow you away. The portion sizes are huge though, so splitting meals there is definitely possible.

On dining and the ticketed parties...

I kind of agree with you. We have done MNSSHP and MVMCP and only stick to counter service because there is so much we want to see and do. If we have table service it's before we heard to the park. Case in point, we had dinner at Chef Mickey's back in '07 before hopping the monorail to the MK for the party.

When we were there in Oct we tried to get into Tony's without an ADR and were denied. It was my first attempt at a walk-up in years so I wasn't surprised when they didn't have any tables. Did I mention this was also a Saturday night when the MK was open til midnight? Yeah...not too smart on my part. I still want to try Tony's one day, I'll just plan it a little bit better.

Yeah, the last time we decided at the last minute to buy party tickets and go to MVMCP, we cancelled our table service for the night and grabbed a bite at Cosmic Rays before the party truly started. There's not enough time to soak up the party atmosphere anyway, so I don't want to spend it in a restaurant.

Tony's is always packed, which probably has a lot to do with the lack of table service at the MK. Hopefully you'll have better luck next time.

Another great trip report. How exciting buying wedding ears! Can't wait to read that report and see those photos:).

Thanks, Lisa! I absolutely can't wait to wear the ears. In fact, finding a top hat is on my wedding to-do list.

loving your trip report holly! and your title is HILARIOUS! it really was freezing that whole week we were there. until, friday of course, when we finally had some nice weather. the whole week temperatures were in the 30s and then friday its 70 and that is our departure day. go figure. :lol:

i loved your ninja attire! i was also a ninja many days of the trip with my black scarf, black gloves and black coat.

your room at kidani looks beautiful! i really need to stay at the akl and get the full experience of the resort. we just visited for dinner at jiko and i thought the main lobby and hallways were just really dark and didn't seem as cool as i thought it would be. it was probably because it was getting dark outside, but still :lol: i just expected more. but the pictures of your room look amazing and have rekindled my desire to stay there!

i also feel your pain about wearing the same thing almost every day. in all of my pictures i was wearing the same coat. every chance i got, i tried to take off the coat for pictures. i also packed 4 different scarfs for a little variety. :lol:

and i love your fingerless gloves!! the whole trip i kept saying that i wish i had some fingerless gloves so i could use my itouch and so i could grab our fastpasses out of my purse a little easier.

your christmas tree is so cute! what a great idea!

can't wait to read more of your trip report! and i am very excited about your pre-wedding trip report!! all this wedding planning has been so overwhelming so i am excited to hear what all you have planned and if you found it as stressful as i currently am!

Thanks, Ashley! You are so right about Friday... the weather was totally mocking all of us as we were packing our bags and leaving property. Booooo.

I noticed your ninja comment as well with the picture of your scarf around your face. You appeared to be a much more legitimate ninja than I!

I think a common complaint about the AKL (other than location) is that it always feels so dark. And at night, it does. But I think that just adds to the ambiance. It's one of the few resorts on property that makes me feel like I've been truly transported to another place entirely.

Yeah I was so sick of my black fleece that by Day 4 I rebelled. :lol: It was supposed to be just a little bit warmer so I took a chance on a different coat, one that wasn't quite as warm but had a completely different look. I was kicking myself in the morning, but in the end it worked out for me. Thanks for the compliment on the fingerless gloves.. you've gotta go out and get yourself a pair.

As for the wedding planning, it hasn't been too incredibly stressful because we're doing an intimate wedding with family only and the Escape package at Disney has it all planned out for you already... now dress shopping was another matter entirely. I was a stressed out panic stricken mess over that! Add to it that I was running out of time, and I was freaking out. But I ended up finding a dress I LOVE, so it all worked out! In fact I did so much dress shopping that I ended up near your neck of the woods at that outlet in Burlington. Let me know if you plan on going there... that place was a trip!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Day 4 – Wednesday, December 15: Islands of Adventure/Universal

We woke up early again on Wednesday to get ready for our day trip over to the Universal parks. It was freezing yet again, but the wind chill wasn’t supposed to be nearly as bad as the day moved forward. Therefore, I took a chance on leaving my fleece behind in favor of another jacket/coat. It seemed like a bad decision at first that morning, but it turned out to be okay because it really did warm up, even if just a little bit, throughout the day. I wasn’t a complete fool, I still bundled up with four different layers and a scarf.

As we were leaving property, we made a quick stop at the McDonald’s for some fuel. For whatever reason, we parked and went inside to get breakfast. First time I’ve been in the “new” McDonald’s on property.

IMG_9611.jpg

IMG_9609.jpg

I became obsessed with the strawberry banana smoothies at McD’s back when my mom and I were participating in marathon wedding dress shopping days… so that was my breakfast. And what a delicious breakfast it was!

IMG_9604.jpg

We were parked and queued up at Islands of Adventure just before the 9am opening. Danny and Kathy so graciously paid for everyone’s tickets as a Christmas present to us all. It was incredibly nice of them to do so.

IMG_9615.jpg

IMG_9617.jpg

IMG_9624.jpg

DSC03117.jpg

IMG_9627.jpg

We hadn’t been over to the Universal parks since 2005, so I guess it was about time we return. Although leading up to the trip, I’ve got to admit, I wasn’t all that excited about it. That changed when we entered Islands of Adventure. I was becoming more and more excited over photographing something new. Speaking of photography, I actually debated whether or not to take my DSLR, because I knew anything that wouldn’t fit in a pocket had to be stowed away in a locker for the big rides. How ridiculous! In the end I decided I just couldn’t leave Ginger behind. And I’m so glad I made this decision, because I would’ve been so disappointed without her.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Gotta just say Holly, guess what I bought tonight just because of this TR? :lol:

Fingerless gloves!! :ROFLOL:

Love the report, as usual!! I really hope I won't have to use those gloves in 12 days...

HollyBelle

Original Poster
So, as with every other person busting through the turnstiles that morning, we were off in search of Hogsmeade. Now, let’s get something straight before I go any further... I’m a geeky Harry Potter fan. The books are downright amazing, and I find J.K. Rowling to be one of the most fascinating people ever. She’s on my list of folks who I’d be honored to sit down and talk with. While there are quite a few individual books that top these; the Harry Potter series is by far my favorite series of books ever. No other series touches it in my opinion; for adults and kids alike. With that said, my expectations were very high.

IMG_9656.jpg

How wonderful that the weather was doing its best to add to the authenticity of Hogsmeade for us. :lol:

IMG_9802.jpg

First up... we quickly dropped Ginger off at Hogsmeade Station.

IMG_9637.jpg

That’s when I was thinking it would’ve made sense to carry along my point and shoot, too. But Kathy had hers, so all was not lost. I really liked how the pavement was designed on a slight incline/decline throughout all of Hogsmeade. It helped add to this feeling of being in another world. I felt more like I was in Diagon Alley than Hogsmeade though, simply based on how I envisioned the two when reading the books. But that’s not really a complaint, more so an observation, because overall I was really impressed with the architecture and feel they created. It was very well done.

DSC03127_1.jpg

We headed straight for the Forbidden Journey, housed in Hogwarts. I’ve got to say, Brett and I were geeking out a bit over the queue. Amazing! I hate that Ginger and I didn’t get the chance to do the “castle tour” later in the day. I would’ve loved photographing some of the stuff in there. As for the ride, I don’t know how to give my opinions without giving away actual details. Skip the next brief paragraph if you want to remain completely unspoiled.

**Let’s just put it this way, it was incredibly fun and exciting, yet I expected more. I spent the whole ride waiting and expecting to be completely freaked out by a basilisk, and instead all we got was the skeleton of one, which I thought was a bit lame because we were in the bowels of the castle... hello, chamber of secrets. Okay, I get that Harry had already defeated it, but where’s the fun in that for us riders? Brett agreed with me in that it was lacking a little something, he was thinking more along the lines of He Who Must Not Be Named. He also commented that they could’ve relied on the screens a bit less. I hadn’t thought about it that way, but really, the best parts for me included the animatronics. The Whomping Willow was probably my favorite part of the ride, and the dragon was pretty great, too. Comedy gold goes to Draco Malfoy though, for taunting Harry about his muggle friends. :ROFLOL:**

We were on and off the ride within 15 minutes. Brett and I headed back into Hogsmeade to pick up my camera. We made it within the 30 minute grace period so we didn’t have to pay anything. I think after the first 30 minutes it becomes maybe $3.00 for each additional 15 or 30 minutes.

We made our way out of Hogsmeade via the path to Jurassic Park. I was happy to see the great photo ops of Hogwarts from over here...

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

DSC03161.jpg

IMG_9761.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We enjoyed walking through Jurassic Park, if only to take silly pictures with dinosaurs. That was all we’d be doing, it was a bit too chilly out for a trip down the River Adventure.

IMG_9660.jpg

IMG_9661.jpg

IMG_9663.jpg

IMG_9665.jpg

IMG_9668.jpg

We soon crossed the threshold into Toon Lagoon, a land wasted on us in this freezing weather. Which really is a disappointment because the Popeye ride is fabulous... best water ride ever. In fact, I think it puts Kali River to shame.

Anybody up for Ripsaw Falls? It’s looking quite refreshing at 45’:

IMG_9671.jpg

Within no time we were on Super Hero Island. How ironic that Disney now owns the super heroes.

IMG_9674.jpg

DSC03166.jpg

IMG_9686.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_9675.jpg

Brett loves this ride. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that Spider-Man is his favorite super hero of all time. So to say he was excited to ride it again after five years was a bit of an understatement. I think he was shooting webs left and right as we approached the queue. The next picture cracks me up... Kathy didn’t get that it was all about the web creation.

IMG_9676.jpg

I did my best to defeat Doc Ock before getting on the ride, but to no avail.

IMG_9680.jpg

As you can see from some of the pictures, this area of the park seemed to be completely devoid of people, so we walked right in through the queue and onto the ride. The last time we were there I can remember that line being insanely long. Unfortunately, the audio wasn’t working in our cart, so we didn’t have any of the background noises filling in the gaps and creating that sense of foreboding. It kinda ruined it for all of us. So we decided to circle around and ride again immediately. It was much better the second time around, but the damage had already been done. It had lost a little of its luster.

IMG_9684.jpg

IMG_9685.jpg

Afterwards, we decided to brave the cold and ride Dr. Doom, and when it didn’t destroy us, we took our chances on the Hulk, as well. The Hulk was always my favorite ride at Universal/IOA, so I was excited to ride it again. I love how the ride shoots you up and out of that tunnel. The ride felt so much rougher than I remember it being, though. It slammed my head this way and that and after one quick spin on it I was good. No need to go again. In fact, the Forbidden Journey easily surpassed the Hulk as my favorite attraction at IOA on this trip.

Kathy wasn’t keen on either of the rides so she decided to wander around Super Hero Island and wait for us. We met up with her in the Fantastic Four Café after we got off the Hulk and she was so incredibly excited to share with us that she’d met Spider-Man. But wait... the story is so much better than that. She was walking around the shop looking for him because she wanted a picture. She couldn’t find him so she asked an employee where he was and she was getting frustrated because she felt the employee was kind of laughing at her; she kept saying “Where’s Spider-Man? I can’t find him.” Then she hears this voice from behind her saying “You lookin’ for me, lady?” Spidey was crouched on the floor, and apparently he’d been stalking her around a bit and she didn’t have a clue. So she goes on to tell him that she really needs to know how to do “this” and she was banging her hands together trying to imitate his web gesture. As she’s recounting the story to us, we were all laughing so hard tears were rolling down our cheeks. If you knew Brett’s mom, and her manner of speech and the way she was excitedly telling her story, I promise you it would be so much funnier. I can’t do her, or the story, justice in trying to retell it. Anyway, Spider-Man coached her on the proper way to make and shoot spiderwebs. Her day was complete.

DSC03168.jpg

Honestly, witnessing that would’ve been so much more fun than riding the Hulk.

IMG_9698.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We soon said goodbye to Super Hero Island and made our way over to Seussland, where the spirit of Christmas had thrown up all over the place (but in a good way!). :lol: It was kinda the only place I remember really experiencing anything Christmasy at Islands of Adventure.

IMG_9816.jpg

DSC03171.jpg

IMG_9726.jpg

IMG_9713.jpg

IMG_9716.jpg

IMG_9722.jpg

IMG_9725.jpg

IMG_9717.jpg

IMG_9719.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_9702.jpg

IMG_9711.jpg

We rode the Cat in the Hat and once we got off and started walking through the store, Brett started counting down “5...4...3...” When I asked him what he was doing, he said “Just wait for it, Mom’s going to say we need those shirts,” as he pointed at the hideous Thing 1 & 2 shirts. And, I swear, within seconds she was saying exactly that. :ROFLOL:

IMG_9724.jpg

Kathy wanted to see the “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” show, so we queued up for that.

IMG_9815.jpg

IMG_9727.jpg

You can’t so much tell it in the pictures, but they took us out of the park and into a backlot area to get to a stage/set that looked to be more attached to Universal. You can only kinda tell from looking at the next picture:

IMG_9729.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
The show was good, nothing too spectacular, but good. It doesn’t pull at the heartstrings for me in ways that Disney shows do, but I think much of that has to do with personal preference and my own attachment to all things Disney. It was professionally done from the acting to the costuming and make-up; I just wasn’t that into it.

Brett finds the Who’s to be incredibly freaky. They creep him out to no end, so watching it with him was kind of hilarious. And it’s a testament to the make-up and costuming department because they looked the part enough to make him squirm.

IMG_9737.jpg

IMG_9741.jpg

IMG_9736.jpg

IMG_9743.jpg

IMG_9749.jpg

IMG_9752.jpg

IMG_9758.jpg

Now, I’m not a big Dr. Seuss fan. In fact, I always hated those books when I was a kid. With that being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent in Seussland. Brett, however, couldn’t get outta there fast enough... the Who’s were freaking him out! :lol: :D

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We were all getting hungry; it was probably after 1:00 pm by this time, but none of us wanted to leave without going back to Hogsmeade first. We decided to check and see if there was a single rider line for the Forbidden Journey; no one could recall it from the morning. Plus, I really wanted to walk around and take some pictures... we hadn’t been in the first store yet, and how can we not try the butterbeer?!

IMG_9804.jpg

IMG_9805.jpg

IMG_9786.jpg

IMG_9791.jpg

IMG_9787.jpg

I somehow missed this discussion at the time, or I would’ve went in the restroom to experience it for myself, but Brett said that Moaning Myrtle was totally hanging out in the “Public Conveniences.” Now that is excellent attention to detail.

IMG_9785.jpg

IMG_9784.jpg

IMG_9783.jpg

IMG_9782.jpg

IMG_9779.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Oh my goodness... the stores. Hands down the biggest mistake Universal made when designing the Wizarding World was the size of the stores. You should NEVER have to wait in a line to enter a store. I understand the wait for Ollivander’s because there is a show of sorts happening in there, but there is absolutely no reason why people can’t get in the other stores. In reading the books, it’s quite obvious that the stores in Hogsmeade are part of the allure for the students at Hogwarts. And not being able to comfortably experience that as a guest in the Wizarding World takes a huge part of the immersive experience away. Here’s the thing, I don’t even think we were there on a busy day. I can only imagine how bad it is then. We only went in one store... Honeydukes. And I think that only happened because we somehow slipped in the exit door without even realizing it was an “exit only” door. The theming was really well done, and I kinda hate the fact that we didn't get to experience the other stores, as well, because I think we would've really enjoyed them. Not to mention, we may have even bought something!

IMG_9777.jpg

IMG_9765.jpg

IMG_9766.jpg

IMG_9767.jpg

This time when we headed up to Hogwarts for the Forbidden Journey (there is a single rider line-yay!), I used the lockers at the entrance to the queue to house Ginger. It was a madhouse in and around that area. The lockers at Universal/IOA use a fingerprint scanner instead of any sort of number combination. Sure, no one should be able to access your stuff because no one else has the same fingerprint as you. Excellent, in theory. However, so many of the lockers were sticking that there was an employee in the area whose sole job appeared to be opening lockers for guests. So... let’s say I stood back and watched someone load a really great camera/bag in a locker. If I walk out and come back 5 minutes later and tell the employee I can’t get my bag out of locker 1415, as I describe what it looks like, she’ll just pop open the locker and hand it to me. The potential for theft scared me, mostly in this area because it was so chaotic that the employee wasn’t really paying much attention, she was just trying to bust open lockers as quickly as possible for people. Because of all this, I definitely recommend the lockers set slightly away from the ride.

The other thing we noticed... multiple people were securing the lockers with gloved fingers. Ummm... how do they expect to open their lockers later? I think this is when Brett may have made a comment about belief in natural selection. :lol:

Okay locker drama aside... I think I enjoyed our second pass through the ride even more than the first. We walked through the queue rather quickly this time (single rider line), so we may have missed him somewhere, but Professor Snape was nowhere to be found. Brett was dumbfounded by the severe lack of Severus Snape throughout the whole Wizarding World. He’s so integral to the story and over arcing plot lines from book to book that it really doesn’t make sense.

IMG_9792.jpg

IMG_9798.jpg

IMG_9799.jpg

Beauxbatons!

IMG_9803.jpg

Another thing... I find it ridiculous that they don’t have someone, like say, Dumbledore out for meet and greets. I can kinda understand why you can’t meet Harry, Ron, and Hermione, because it would be so hard to make them consistently look like the real actors. But, no Dumbledore, or Hagrid, or Voldemort, or even Bellatrix Lestrange (I could go on and on)? I wouldn’t think they’d be too hard to create.

Reading back through this post, I sound like quite the Debbie Downer! :lol: I don’t want anyone to think that my overall impression and feel for the Wizarding World was a bad one, because it most definitely was not. I feel that they got so many things right and the overall ambience is spell-binding. I just can’t help but think that they missed a couple of opportunities to take guests fully into another realm, leaving the muggle world behind entirely.

MKCP 1985

Notice anything missing from this "Wanted" poster? :lookaroun I was in awe of the way they captured the movie magic of the moving photograph, but . . . :lookaroun Where is the name of the criminal? :lookaroun

:lol: Seriously . . . or should I say, "Siriously?"

Loved Harry Potter Land and what it has done to Islands of Adventure. Can't wait to see it again when we return, whenever that may be. :lol:

Great report - enjoying it very much. :D

HollyBelle

Original Poster
One last thing about Hogsmeade... butterbeer!!!

IMG_9811.jpg

IMG_9810.jpg

IMG_9812.jpg

IMG_9814.jpg

IMG_9775.jpg

I found it to be simply delicious! I’m happy Brett and I decided to split one and not each get our own, though, because it was insanely sweet. They were $3.25 apiece, which I actually thought was a pretty good price. They could’ve easily charged $5 a cup and people would’ve paid for it without thinking twice. To me it tasted like a sweetened club soda, but smoother. And the head left on top just gives it that last bit of finesse that I think it needs.

With butterbeers in hand we made our way out of Islands of Adventure right about 2:00 pm.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
All along we knew we’d be having lunch at Margaritaville in City Walk. I can’t recall if I’ve ever talked about Margaritaville, or even Jimmy Buffett, in these trip reports, but we’re huge fans of both. We’re fans, but not your garden variety kind that only stand up and drunkenly sing along at the concert when “that cheeseburger song” comes on. No, we’re the kind of fans who hate the fact that Jimmy caters to those folks instead of playing his truly great, but lesser known songs. I know I’ve professed (and defended) my love of the popular tourist establishment in my cruise reports, but that’s neither here nor there. Jimmy is probably another person I’d put on the list with J.K. Rowling of folks whom I’d like to sit down and chat with. I can just imagine the stories he would tell.

IMG_9833.jpg

IMG_9822.jpg

My parents had accidentally purchased a t-shirt in the wrong size the last time they were at Margaritaville, so I wanted to see if they’d do an even exchange for me on the item. I had left the shirt in the car for the morning and Brett, being the sweetest fiancé ever, offered to go and get it while the rest of us checked in for lunch. The thing is, they wouldn’t seat us until our whole party was present. I get this rule, I really do, because it allows restaurants to turn tables over more quickly on a busy night... but when a place is three quarters empty, I wouldn’t think this would be a problem. I felt horrible for making everyone wait; luckily though, Brett was super fast and got back in record time.

IMG_9840.jpg

IMG_9849.jpg

DSC03215.jpg

DSC03216.jpg

Lunch was good... you know, I quite like the Cheeseburger in Paradise when it’s served up on a plate and not in a concert!

IMG_9850.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After eating I quickly changed out the shirt in the shop and we were off to Universal.

IMG_9852.jpg

IMG_9853.jpg

Here’s where my pictures actually get a little few and far between. First of all, I wasn’t really inspired to take that many. And second, I couldn’t take my camera on the roller coasters, so I didn’t have it as we walked through the queues. I had intentions of going back to certain areas to take pictures, but it didn’t end up happening. Kathy decided not to ride the bigger coasters so she offered to hold onto my bag, which was really nice.

We hopped in line for the Mummy first... single rider style because none of us wanted to wait. When we got up to the front Brett was sent off on one cart and then the next standby group looked at the guy loading carts and said they had 35 in their party. It was one of those huge tour groups. The guy stopped for a minute before he started trying to put them into the lines by four... but they just kept flooding the area and not listening. Finally he got them stopped. Then he looked at the three of us, frustrated, and said “three single riders on four.” :lol: So Derek, Danny and I got to ride together. I don’t understand why those groups can’t just divide themselves up into pairs... I mean they already know who they want to ride beside anyway. I felt back for the guy.

When we came out of the ride, we met back up with Kathy. There were random employees dressed oddly, everywhere, doing strange things. I think it was Universal’s version of the Citizens of Hollywood entertaining folks along the parade route, only it was shocking just how bad it was. Bizarre doesn’t even begin to cover it. Some girls were dressed as cheerleaders, but as they were walking down the street they weren’t “in character” and you could tell they were uncomfortable the way they dressed. One of them was flirting shamelessly with another employee who had on what appeared to be painter’s coveralls. He was taunting her for how she was dressed. Speaking of the coveralls, everywhere you looked there were employees in different colored coveralls. In some areas of the parks, the employees on the street outnumbered the guests. And none of them seemed to actually be working.

Oddly enough, a Cleopatra wannabe appeared and somehow Kathy managed to convince Danny and Derek to take a picture with her.

DSC03219.jpg

The newish “Rip, Ride, Rock It” coaster only had a 20 minute line so we decided to ride. I’ve got to be honest, part of me was kinda hoping it would have an insane wait time so I would have an excuse not to ride. :lol: I have a small fear of heights and the thing that gets to me the most with roller coasters are the way they make a slow and steady climb up to the first drop. This is probably why I like the Hulk and RNR so much... I don’t have to deal with the part that gets under my skin. Like a fool, I let it be known that I was freaking out a bit when we got to the top of the load platform and the guys showed no mercy. Seriously, look at that thing... and then hear me when I say that it has no shoulder harness. And the load area is on a conveyor, so the ride vehicle doesn’t actually stop as you’re boarding. Brett thought he had figured out a way to select the Muppets Rainbow Connection as our song of choice, but we missed the first step, which is sooooo unfortunate.

The coaster was actually a lot of fun... it was an exceptionally smooth ride, unlike the one we’d had on the Hulk earlier. And that part I feared (the vertical incline) wasn’t bad at all. There was none of that click, click, click, clicking as we ascended. And we made it up and over the top much more quickly than I expected. Of course, from that point forward it was a blast, and I was super impressed with the corkscrew loop... if there’s a technical term for that, I haven’t a clue what it is.

IMG_9860.jpg

It’s a pretty expansive roller coaster, you can see its breadth better in the next picture... and this isn’t even all of it (off to the left hand side of the frame it extends out over the entrance to Universal). That’s Dr. Doom and the Hulk in the background:

IMG_9888.jpg

When we got home I learned that Universal is contemplating suing the designers because it wasn’t built to spec. :eek: Probably good I wasn’t aware of that beforehand. :lol:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We met back up with Kathy and headed over to Krustyland, where Brett made an interesting point… sadly, Krustyland is ten years too late. Why didn’t they do it sooner?

IMG_9891.jpg

IMG_9866.jpg

Best family portrait… EVER:

IMG_9868.jpg

IMG_9873.jpg

For me, Patty and Selma were easily the pre-show stars. But the other thing about the pre-show that was extremely interesting was how obvious it was that Krustyland was spoofing off of Disney World, and not Universal, almost reverently.

IMG_9878.jpg

IMG_9883.jpg

Loved Homer throughout the ride… he had so many golden lines. I think my favorite may have been when he was talking to Lisa who was scared about the ride, “Sweetie, they won’t kill you at an amusement park as long as you have a dime left in your pocket!” :ROFLOL: The ride was great, but it wrecked me. I knew it would, considering it’s the same ride vehicle as the former Back to the Future, and after we exited I needed a nice cold coke and a breather. I’d pressed my luck with one too many simulators that day.

Ms Tink

Actually it's Ollivander's not Oliver's.....

The shops were designed small intentionally, to make it similar to the movies. It's a mix of Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade and maybe if the expansion goes ahead as planned they'll separate them.

I enjoyed both WDW and Universal.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Next, we headed over to MIB and attacked some aliens… I had forgotten how much fun this ride is. It has a leg up on Space Ranger Spin: the moveable gun. You can actually pick it up, which provides you with so much necessary freedom.

When we exited the ride I was kind of ready to call it a day. Luckily for me, Brett felt the same way, so we said goodbye to everyone else and started to make our way out of the park. We had driven two cars over so this worked out nicely. Kathy wanted to stay and watch the “Macy’s Parade” and we just wanted to get out of there! Unfortunately, we got caught up in it and had to weave in and around the crowds not to get stuck. But I figured out what all those employees were doing in coveralls… they were there to walk the balloons around.

IMG_9896.jpg

IMG_9892.jpg

When we saw Kathy again later we asked her how the parade was and she adamantly declared that it was stupid… those were here exact words. :lol:

So overall, Universal just felt so incredibly run down. The employees seemed apathetic about their jobs, at best. I didn’t get this vibe at Islands of Adventure at all. And I’m not just referring to the new and shiny Wizarding World; employees throughout all of IOA seemed to be enjoying themselves. It was weird to see so much juxtaposition between the two parks.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We were back on Disney property by 6:00 pm (yay!) where we made a quick stop at Downtown Disney to pick up another plush for our tree… DUG!

“Oh please, oh please, take me home with you.”

IMG_9904.jpg

We headed over to the Earl to get a bite to eat. The line was where it usually is when we arrive, and there wasn’t a seat in the place. Brett had a brilliant idea… why don’t we get it to go and head back to Kidani! I sent him to get the car while I waited in line for our sandwiches. It worked out great, he pulled around behind Once Upon a Toy just as I was walking out with dinner. We took it back to Kidani and watched the Pixar shorts while we ate. It was such a nice and relaxing way to end the day.

Up next... Epcot!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom