Tis the Season to be Freezin': A December 2010 Trip Report

Hello, again! :wave: I’m back with yet another holiday trip report, and I just realized this was my and Brett’s sixth consecutive trip to Disney World for the Christmas season! We really are so lucky. It was just us for the first two, but since 2007 we’ve been enjoying annual December trips with Brett’s family. Hopefully the tradition will continue in years to come.

With every new trip report, I struggle to come up with a creative way to introduce ourselves. I mean, really, there are only so many ways to say it. Especially when I feel like I already know so many of you, and you us. So let’s be brief... the cast of characters include myself, Holly, and my fiancé, Brett. Yep, we’re all engaged and in love (for all the ooey gooey details, check out the engagement trip report). As with all my previous December reports, along with us are some familiar faces: Brett’s parents, Kathy and Danny, and his brother, Derek.

IMG_0996edit.jpg

For this trip we had the pleasure of staying at AKL’s Kidani Village in a two bedroom dedicated DVC unit with a savannah view for five nights, Sunday, 12/12 – Friday 12/17. Bring on the giraffes and zebras!

Many of you know that we got engaged just this past August and we’re planning our Disney wedding for March 2011. Yes, yes, I know, I still owe you all a pre-trip/planning report. As you can probably guess, we’ve been planning (and I’ve been stressing over) our March trip for the last couple months and nary a thought has been given to the December trip. Once we returned from our August trip and started saving every penny for March, we took a look at our ADRs for December and slashed and burned some reservations. RIP: Bluezoo, Bistro de Paris, Boma, and the Brown Derby. Look at that alliteration! And we nixed the usual character breakfast we do once a trip (I think it was 1900 Park Fare). Since then, we hadn’t thought much about it. Seriously, the week before we left Brett said something to me along the lines of “Our dining is going to be a fun surprise; I’ve entirely forgotten what we booked.”

In a money saving effort, Brett and I also tried to slash our plans for Universal/Islands of Adventure, but his parents were having none of it. They purchased everyone's Universal/IOA park tickets as a family Christmas present. Best future in-laws ever! Ever, ever. So I'll be reporting on the Wizarding World and other such things in this report as well.

Time to get started...

TakeMeThere81

Will the whole family be going, or is this just going to be a quick weekend trip for mom? I'm getting excited now and hoping for a report!!!

Thanks, I'll definitely write a report! But the whole family isn't going this time, just DH and me for a week! :sohappy: Our first WDW trip just the two of us!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll definitely write a report! But the whole family isn't going this time, just DH and me for a week! :sohappy: Our first WDW trip just the two of us!

Oooohh... even better. A trip for the adults!! I'm glad your husband is able to go with you. Is he also running?

DisneyRed95

Great Trip Report Holly! I've loved reading all your updates and thoughts.

We're planning on eating at Kouzzina for breakfast in May. And those blueberry orange granola pancakes looked good!

If you decide to do a pre-wedding trip report, I'll definitely follow along. Enjoy all the last minute planning and can't wait to see pictures of your Disney Wedding!

Ariel484

Fabulous report Holly! I cannot wait for the wedding pre-trip and trip reports! :sohappy:

Good luck with your planning!

joanna71985

Thanks, Joanna. For some reason I was thinking you worked at DHS, so I was looking for you over there. Not at the Magic Kingdom though. Yes, I was glad we got in one of the early sets for Flynn and Rapunzel, because I don't know if even I could've waited 2 hours for a character meet and greet. :lol:

I think we finally figured out the Macy's parade performer thing, but it just wasn't working for me. I think because some of the performers (cheerleaders in particular) were flirting with other employees and not interacting with guests. It was all a bit odd to me.

I was so sad we didn't get to ride along to Rainbow Connection, but we were completely taken aback when the ride didn't stop for us to get on. :eek: It freaked me out a bit and I missed the cues Brett was giving me for Rainbow Connection.

Heh, I actually do work at the Studios (I work at GMR). But every now and then I will pick up a character attendant shift. :eek:

I do agree that it's strange. It's very...random

I wish they gave more time for picking out the songs. I'm sure if they did, I'd easily be able to get Rainbow Connection each time

disneygirl1

Thank you for share yet another Magical Disney trip report with us!!! :wave: I so can't wait for the next report!!! It will be all about your wedding!!! Can't Wait!!! :sohappy:

Oh and P.S. I think Devon and I rode ToT 15 times this past trip!!!

DisneyFan1003

Great report and fantastic pictures! We were supposed to be there right now but our flights were cancelled on Tuesday due to the ice in Atlanta, so instead of spending the day in the MK today, I was in my office. :(
Out of protest, I read your trip report rather than working...thanks for helping me pass the day!

Trip rebooked for March....hopefully we get there this time!

Congrats on the upcoming wedding...we got engaged in the Rose Garden right before the fireworks...it was awesome! Bummer about the wedding ears...we were lucky and got the top hat and original one with the veil.

Best of luck to you both...enjoy the adventure!

BuzzGoofy

Excellent trip report. I love all the pics.

I just wanted to make a coment about camera bags that dont really look like camera bags. I use a Lowepro Fastpack 250. It looks like a backpack not a camera bag.

P9060047-Copy.jpg

There is room in the bottom portion for my Rebel SXI with lens, my 70-300 zoom, external flash and my daughter's video camera, with room left over. Not very pracyical if you are by yourself, but I only use it when with someone else to act as assistant when changing lenses. The top has room to carry non camera esentials and there is also a spot for my laptop(altoough I do not carry the laptop when touring the parks), it's the full height of the pack along the back. Nice padded straps too.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
great report holly! and you will be back to wdw so soon for your wedding!! lucky, lucky! can't wait to hear all about it!

Thanks, Ashley!! I hope you have fun planning yours.

Great Trip Report Holly! I've loved reading all your updates and thoughts.

We're planning on eating at Kouzzina for breakfast in May. And those blueberry orange granola pancakes looked good!

If you decide to do a pre-wedding trip report, I'll definitely follow along. Enjoy all the last minute planning and can't wait to see pictures of your Disney Wedding!

Thanks, Krista. I'm definitely going to try the blueberry orange pancake next time... it was nice to see a fairly unique item on a breakfast menu! Hopefully I'll have the pre-trip stuff started next week or the week after.

Fabulous report Holly! I cannot wait for the wedding pre-trip and trip reports!

Good luck with your planning!

Thanks, Shannon. Good luck with the Princess!!

Heh, I actually do work at the Studios (I work at GMR). But every now and then I will pick up a character attendant shift.

I do agree that it's strange. It's very...random

I wish they gave more time for picking out the songs. I'm sure if they did, I'd easily be able to get Rainbow Connection each time

We rarely ride GMR, so that probably has something to do with us not running into you. Maybe next time... we'll be the ones in the wedding ears!

Thank you for share yet another Magical Disney trip report with us!!! I so can't wait for the next report!!! It will be all about your wedding!!! Can't Wait!!!

Oh and P.S. I think Devon and I rode ToT 15 times this past trip!!!

I can't wait either!!! Actually, I have a feeling it'll be here all too quickly what with all the little things we still have to take care of.

15 times?!? That's just made of awesome. :sohappy:

Great report and fantastic pictures! We were supposed to be there right now but our flights were cancelled on Tuesday due to the ice in Atlanta, so instead of spending the day in the MK today, I was in my office.
Out of protest, I read your trip report rather than working...thanks for helping me pass the day!

Trip rebooked for March....hopefully we get there this time!

Congrats on the upcoming wedding...we got engaged in the Rose Garden right before the fireworks...it was awesome! Bummer about the wedding ears...we were lucky and got the top hat and original one with the veil.

Best of luck to you both...enjoy the adventure!

Oh how terrible... that is incredibly disappointing; I'm so sorry your trip was canceled due to the weather. Hopefully you end up with the best trip ever in March!

The rose garden sounds so romantic!

Excellent trip report. I love all the pics.

I just wanted to make a coment about camera bags that dont really look like camera bags. I use a Lowepro Fastpack 250. It looks like a backpack not a camera bag.

There is room in the bottom portion for my Rebel SXI with lens, my 70-300 zoom, external flash and my daughter's video camera, with room left over. Not very pracyical if you are by yourself, but I only use it when with someone else to act as assistant when changing lenses. The top has room to carry non camera esentials and there is also a spot for my laptop(altoough I do not carry the laptop when touring the parks), it's the full height of the pack along the back. Nice padded straps too.

Thanks, BuzzGoofy. And I appreciate the info on your camera bag. I'm sure I'll need a backpack one day, but right now I'm trying to carry as little as possible. I do need something more like this just to transport camera gear to and from Disney World.

tiaragirl

Whyyyyyy is this overrr? Thanks for another great one, Holly, can't wait for the wedding TR - and the wedding since Nicole and I will obviously be searaycering for the best photographer award ;)

Fashionista007

Hi Holly! I loved your TR as always. You're so sweet and funny, you always make me laugh. I just finished reading so I'll try to remember all of the comments I wanted to say :)

I LOVE the picture of you taking a picture inside the red Christmas ornament. Seriously I think you should submit that to some sort of contest. I need to get into this photo taking thing. My photos are all taken with a point and shoot and that's just not cutting it anymore.

You know how much I love AKL (see my engagement TR in my signature). I've stayed there twice and I will definitely stay there again. I like to change it up though so I can't stay there every year. I really like Zawadi (gift shop) and I think it's one of the best gift shops at a Disney resort. No resort trumps the shops at the Contemporary though! I wish my camera had been better so I could get pictures of the animals outside the room. Yours were crisp and clear and really showed the colors of the Savannah very well.

I know I had other comments but darn it all - WEDDING STUFF! I'm so excited for you and Brett and I can't wait to see the TR from your upcoming wedding. I'm getting ready to book my September Escape wedding, my 8 month mark is around Jan. 25. I agree with you completely - how do people plan a big huge wedding with hundreds of people?? I can't even imagine how nervous I would be being the center of attention with hundreds of people staring at me while I recite wedding vows. Shudder. We're only having 18 people and so far every day since our engagement I have felt every emotion possible. Poor Jason has had to calm me down SO many times when I was stressing over the invite list, whether or not to have a Wishes wedding, the budget, my dress, my shoes, etc. I'm glad to hear that Disney handles everything and that's exactly why I chose an Escape wedding. I loved your pics of Sunset Pointe and I got a little misty thinking about your wedding :) You are going to be a beautiful bride.

I could talk wedding stuff all day (and I am in my Wedding Pavilion PTR linked in my signature) but on to the next topic. I really loved your review of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I haven't been to Universal in about 15 years or so and my experience last time was the pits. I don't generally go off property for any reason during a Disney vacation because it's basically back to the real world. When we went to Universal, the culture shock was insurmountable. People think guests at Disney are rude? Universal is way worse. We even saw an arrest in the middle of the main street right after you walk in. That would never happen at Disney, they do all that stuff back stage which is a great idea because it just enhances the magic. Plus, I felt like the workers at Universal were very frowny and not at all friendly. However, I LOVE Harry Potter and I would really like to go there just for that. I just can never tear myself away from WDW long enough for an excursion to Universal.

That's all for now :) Have a magical day!

foreverbelle

This is going to have to be short and sweet for the moment, and I really hate that I can't see the pictures. Mental note to come back and look this weekend.

I can't believe they discontinued the hats. I have been there and seen the new ones, don't like them that much at all. But to each their own.

I always love your TR's and I look so forward to them. Again congrats on another one well done. And I look forward to the wedding one and all coming up in a short few months.

AK is great isn't it? I love it. Never thought I would but I do.....

Alright for now its enough. Gotta get back to work.

foreverbelle

OH MAN I love the pictures.

And regarding Duffy. Maybe its just me, but I just don't get the whole appeal. Really. So I am thrilled to see that I am not the only one.

You and Brett are adorable. Really you guys are and you guys have just the whole thing down pat. I love it!!! I am so thrilled for the two of you guys.

Glad to see you liked Kidani, we were there back in July and thought that it was a fabulous resort but agree with you with the thought about the distance to quick service and what not.

Lastly, we will be there from March 14th thru the 19th. My hubby and I will have to be on the lookout for you guys....

oommggitskait

What a great trip report!! I've been creepin these boards for a while and only recently got into reading the trip reports. And I'm hooked!
It doesnt hurt that you guys are birds fans! It's tough not watching them play this weekend! :(

Loved all your pictures. I purchased my first dslr this September(ok didn't so much purchase as got as a birthday gift but whatever haha) and took a photography class. I've been trying to develop a style and sharpen my skills. I am def most excited to take my canon to wdw and seeing your pictures made me even more excited. (not to mention the nerd camera talk between you and Tom).

You and your fiancé are adorable and good luck with all the wedding planning!!

I love your trip reports, Holly! They're the most entertaining. I was having a seriously miserable day last week, but coming home and reading your TR cheered me up :) You and Brett are so cute. And you have convinced me even more that I just want to live in Animal Kingdom Lodge, even though I've never stayed there. (Though I have hopped over there the past two trips to just hang out in the wonderful lobby.) I also now desperately want to try meatball sliders. And buy fingerless gloves because they look so convenient.

Now I just need to write mine. :lookaroun I keep putting it off. I really do want to write it, but I need to get settled in my classes and get caught up with reading and I am so busy! But I'm going to do it eventually! And there are many character pictures. You and Brett have inspired me. I never used to bother with them, but now I'm like, "Who cares about waiting in line for this ride? I'm taking a picture with Chip and Dale!"

Can't wait for your wedding TR, good luck with all your planning and whatnot!

kittymommax2

Day 4 – Wednesday, December 15: Islands of Adventure/Universal

We hadn’t been over to the Universal parks since 2005, so I guess it was about time we return. Although leading up to the trip, I’ve got to admit, I wasn’t all that excited about it. That changed when we entered Islands of Adventure. I was becoming more and more excited over photographing something new. Speaking of photography, I actually debated whether or not to take my DSLR, because I knew anything that wouldn’t fit in a pocket had to be stowed away in a locker for the big rides. How ridiculous! In the end I decided I just couldn’t leave Ginger behind. And I’m so glad I made this decision, because I would’ve been so disappointed without her.

I have been wanting to ask you what you do with your camera while going on the rides. I just bought a DSLR (my 1st!) & will be at WDW in March (just before your BIG day) & want to take loads of pics, but not sure what to do with it on rides. Is this just at Universal, or the Disney Parks too?

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Whyyyyyy is this overrr? Thanks for another great one, Holly, can't wait for the wedding TR - and the wedding since Nicole and I will obviously be searaycering for the best photographer award ;)

All good things must come to an end, my friend! :lol: I must remember to add "reserve searaycer for photographer" to my wedding to-do list. Thanks, Kenzie.

Hi Holly! I loved your TR as always. You're so sweet and funny, you always make me laugh. I just finished reading so I'll try to remember all of the comments I wanted to say

I LOVE the picture of you taking a picture inside the red Christmas ornament. Seriously I think you should submit that to some sort of contest. I need to get into this photo taking thing. My photos are all taken with a point and shoot and that's just not cutting it anymore.

You know how much I love AKL (see my engagement TR in my signature). I've stayed there twice and I will definitely stay there again. I like to change it up though so I can't stay there every year. I really like Zawadi (gift shop) and I think it's one of the best gift shops at a Disney resort. No resort trumps the shops at the Contemporary though! I wish my camera had been better so I could get pictures of the animals outside the room. Yours were crisp and clear and really showed the colors of the Savannah very well.

Hi, Shelley! Thanks for all the nice comments on my report/pictures. I delved into the DSLR world for the very reason you mentioned (my point and shoot was not cutting it anymore). Best decision ever! I fully recommend it if you're interested in really learning how to get the best out of your camera.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is fabulous... and I've got to agree, Zawadi is a great resort shop.

I know I had other comments but darn it all - WEDDING STUFF! I'm so excited for you and Brett and I can't wait to see the TR from your upcoming wedding. I'm getting ready to book my September Escape wedding, my 8 month mark is around Jan. 25. I agree with you completely - how do people plan a big huge wedding with hundreds of people?? I can't even imagine how nervous I would be being the center of attention with hundreds of people staring at me while I recite wedding vows. Shudder. We're only having 18 people and so far every day since our engagement I have felt every emotion possible. Poor Jason has had to calm me down SO many times when I was stressing over the invite list, whether or not to have a Wishes wedding, the budget, my dress, my shoes, etc. I'm glad to hear that Disney handles everything and that's exactly why I chose an Escape wedding. I loved your pics of Sunset Pointe and I got a little misty thinking about your wedding :) You are going to be a beautiful bride.

Yay... January 25 is just around the corner. 7 sleeps and you'll be able to set aside some of that stress. Seriously, the escape package really is wonderful. I couldn't imagine having to find my own florist, my own bakery, my own venue, etc. That's all taken care of! Sunset Pointe is my dream location. I have yet to really start freaking out over the weather. I keep telling myself it's out of my control, but I just know I'm going to be a stressed out mess over it.

I could talk wedding stuff all day (and I am in my Wedding Pavilion PTR linked in my signature) but on to the next topic. I really loved your review of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. I haven't been to Universal in about 15 years or so and my experience last time was the pits. I don't generally go off property for any reason during a Disney vacation because it's basically back to the real world. When we went to Universal, the culture shock was insurmountable. People think guests at Disney are rude? Universal is way worse. We even saw an arrest in the middle of the main street right after you walk in. That would never happen at Disney, they do all that stuff back stage which is a great idea because it just enhances the magic. Plus, I felt like the workers at Universal were very frowny and not at all friendly. However, I LOVE Harry Potter and I would really like to go there just for that. I just can never tear myself away from WDW long enough for an excursion to Universal.

That's all for now :) Have a magical day!

I completely understand and agree with your sentiments on Universal. On our last trip over there (2005), an employee dropped my camera while he was taking our picture. I was mortified and he acted like "no big deal, it happens sometimes." :eek: Universal to me is just another amusement park... it's not magical. And, I think, as long as you go into it with that frame of mind, you'll enjoy the experience. That being said, the Wizarding World was truly amazing and worth the trek for any geeky Harry Potter fan.

This is going to have to be short and sweet for the moment, and I really hate that I can't see the pictures. Mental note to come back and look this weekend.

I can't believe they discontinued the hats. I have been there and seen the new ones, don't like them that much at all. But to each their own.

I always love your TR's and I look so forward to them. Again congrats on another one well done. And I look forward to the wedding one and all coming up in a short few months.

AK is great isn't it? I love it. Never thought I would but I do.....

Alright for now its enough. Gotta get back to work.

OH MAN I love the pictures.

And regarding Duffy. Maybe its just me, but I just don't get the whole appeal. Really. So I am thrilled to see that I am not the only one.

You and Brett are adorable. Really you guys are and you guys have just the whole thing down pat. I love it!!! I am so thrilled for the two of you guys.

Glad to see you liked Kidani, we were there back in July and thought that it was a fabulous resort but agree with you with the thought about the distance to quick service and what not.

Lastly, we will be there from March 14th thru the 19th. My hubby and I will have to be on the lookout for you guys....

Thanks, Aleisha. You're too sweet! I'm glad you checked back in to see the pictures... I hate that work blocks them. Don't they know you have trip reports to keep up with?! :lol: We, too, love the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I feel like the theming is through the roof over there. And I feel so immersed in it, more so at Jambo House than Kidani, but both are great.

Maybe we'll cross paths... we'll be in the parks on the 17th and 19th!

It wouldn't have to be at GMR. It could just be a quick meet-up inside one of the parks :)

Good point... we'll have to try and make that happen sometime!

What a great trip report!! I've been creepin these boards for a while and only recently got into reading the trip reports. And I'm hooked!
It doesnt hurt that you guys are birds fans! It's tough not watching them play this weekend! :(

Loved all your pictures. I purchased my first dslr this September(ok didn't so much purchase as got as a birthday gift but whatever haha) and took a photography class. I've been trying to develop a style and sharpen my skills. I am def most excited to take my canon to wdw and seeing your pictures made me even more excited. (not to mention the nerd camera talk between you and Tom).

You and your fiancé are adorable and good luck with all the wedding planning!!

Thanks for reading along and joining in, oommggitskait! You're going to have so much fun with your DSLR at Disney. It's truly addicting. I'm definitely still working on my personal style and Disney provides so many great avenues to explore.

It is too bad the Eagles are out... but I have to say they had a much better season than I expected them to have.

Oh yes, and thanks for the well wishes.

I love your trip reports, Holly! They're the most entertaining. I was having a seriously miserable day last week, but coming home and reading your TR cheered me up :) You and Brett are so cute. And you have convinced me even more that I just want to live in Animal Kingdom Lodge, even though I've never stayed there. (Though I have hopped over there the past two trips to just hang out in the wonderful lobby.) I also now desperately want to try meatball sliders. And buy fingerless gloves because they look so convenient.

Now I just need to write mine. :lookaroun I keep putting it off. I really do want to write it, but I need to get settled in my classes and get caught up with reading and I am so busy! But I'm going to do it eventually! And there are many character pictures. You and Brett have inspired me. I never used to bother with them, but now I'm like, "Who cares about waiting in line for this ride? I'm taking a picture with Chip and Dale!"

Can't wait for your wedding TR, good luck with all your planning and whatnot!

The AKL, meatball sliders, and fingerless gloves... all beautiful things!

Where is that trip report, anyhow?! Now I really want to read it seeing as how you met all those characters, and I want to know if your sister came around to the cool side. Oh yes, I must agree that Chip and Dale are always worth the wait!

I have been wanting to ask you what you do with your camera while going on the rides. I just bought a DSLR (my 1st!) & will be at WDW in March (just before your BIG day) & want to take loads of pics, but not sure what to do with it on rides. Is this just at Universal, or the Disney Parks too?

Hello! Yay for March trips and DSLRs! Disney does not require you to put cameras/bags in lockers for any of their rides. Many of the attractions have on ride compartments for you to stow your stuff, if you feel that it's necessary. On the majority of them though, my camera stays around my neck. There are only a few where I even feel it's necessary to put it in my camera bag (like Splash Mountain and RNR). I've never had a problem with the bag I carry fitting into the individual compartments on the rides, either. So, when I do want to put my DSLR up it's easy to do so. Hope this helps!

TakeMeThere81

Yes he is running too! I have the most amazing husband ever! And him running says so much. He hates running, and aside from that it is moastly women. But he didn't want his princess to have to run alone. :) He's getting major brownie points.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom