Tis the Season to be Freezin': A December 2010 Trip Report

Hello, again! :wave: I’m back with yet another holiday trip report, and I just realized this was my and Brett’s sixth consecutive trip to Disney World for the Christmas season! We really are so lucky. It was just us for the first two, but since 2007 we’ve been enjoying annual December trips with Brett’s family. Hopefully the tradition will continue in years to come.

With every new trip report, I struggle to come up with a creative way to introduce ourselves. I mean, really, there are only so many ways to say it. Especially when I feel like I already know so many of you, and you us. So let’s be brief... the cast of characters include myself, Holly, and my fiancé, Brett. Yep, we’re all engaged and in love (for all the ooey gooey details, check out the engagement trip report). As with all my previous December reports, along with us are some familiar faces: Brett’s parents, Kathy and Danny, and his brother, Derek.

IMG_0996edit.jpg

For this trip we had the pleasure of staying at AKL’s Kidani Village in a two bedroom dedicated DVC unit with a savannah view for five nights, Sunday, 12/12 – Friday 12/17. Bring on the giraffes and zebras!

Many of you know that we got engaged just this past August and we’re planning our Disney wedding for March 2011. Yes, yes, I know, I still owe you all a pre-trip/planning report. As you can probably guess, we’ve been planning (and I’ve been stressing over) our March trip for the last couple months and nary a thought has been given to the December trip. Once we returned from our August trip and started saving every penny for March, we took a look at our ADRs for December and slashed and burned some reservations. RIP: Bluezoo, Bistro de Paris, Boma, and the Brown Derby. Look at that alliteration! And we nixed the usual character breakfast we do once a trip (I think it was 1900 Park Fare). Since then, we hadn’t thought much about it. Seriously, the week before we left Brett said something to me along the lines of “Our dining is going to be a fun surprise; I’ve entirely forgotten what we booked.”

In a money saving effort, Brett and I also tried to slash our plans for Universal/Islands of Adventure, but his parents were having none of it. They purchased everyone's Universal/IOA park tickets as a family Christmas present. Best future in-laws ever! Ever, ever. So I'll be reporting on the Wizarding World and other such things in this report as well.

Time to get started...

kittymommax2

Originally Posted by kittymommax2 http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=4415579#post4415579
I have been wanting to ask you what you do with your camera while going on the rides. I just bought a DSLR (my 1st!) & will be at WDW in March (just before your BIG day) & want to take loads of pics, but not sure what to do with it on rides. Is this just at Universal, or the Disney Parks too?

Hello! Yay for March trips and DSLRs! Disney does not require you to put cameras/bags in lockers for any of their rides. Many of the attractions have on ride compartments for you to stow your stuff, if you feel that it's necessary. On the majority of them though, my camera stays around my neck. There are only a few where I even feel it's necessary to put it in my camera bag (like Splash Mountain and RNR). I've never had a problem with the bag I carry fitting into the individual compartments on the rides, either. So, when I do want to put my DSLR up it's easy to do so. Hope this helps!

Hi HollyBelle! Yes, it helps a lot! Thank you for the info. I love your reports/reviews & photos! Actually... followed your link here from Cruise Critic. Can't wait to take lots of photos with my new DSLR. DH & I will be arriving in Orlando on Fri., 3/11, then sailing on Carnival Sensation for a 3 night Bahamas cruise on Thurs. 3/17 - SO excited!

diddy_mouse

Can't believe it took me this long to catch up! This will be a little short since I have to run out to work.

Fantastic read as always! One of these days we'll get back to see Universal/IOA and if anything, your pictures are motivation to at least start thinking about it. :)

I really, really like Yakitori House. We made a habit of stopping there at least once on almost every single trip for lunch. I just love the setting.

I hope all the wedding plans are going well! Wish I could be there in March to say hi to you guys. :wave:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Yes he is running too! I have the most amazing husband ever! And him running says so much. He hates running, and aside from that it is moastly women. But he didn't want his princess to have to run alone. :) He's getting major brownie points.

Yep... I'd definitely say super duper brownie points! I look forward to hearing all about it.

Hi HollyBelle! Yes, it helps a lot! Thank you for the info. I love your reports/reviews & photos! Actually... followed your link here from Cruise Critic. Can't wait to take lots of photos with my new DSLR. DH & I will be arriving in Orlando on Fri., 3/11, then sailing on Carnival Sensation for a 3 night Bahamas cruise on Thurs. 3/17 - SO excited!

Ooh... so fun. This'll be our first time combining a Disney vacation with a cruise and I'm super excited as well. We'll be two steps behind you... arriving at Disney on 3/17 and leaving on our Bahamas cruise on 3/20. Have fun taking all those pictures!

Can't believe it took me this long to catch up! This will be a little short since I have to run out to work.

Fantastic read as always! One of these days we'll get back to see Universal/IOA and if anything, your pictures are motivation to at least start thinking about it. :)

I really, really like Yakitori House. We made a habit of stopping there at least once on almost every single trip for lunch. I just love the setting.

I hope all the wedding plans are going well! Wish I could be there in March to say hi to you guys. :wave:

Thanks! I'm really glad we discovered Yakitori House. You're right the setting is just so lovely.

The wedding plans are coming along nicely... we're finally starting to check some things off the to-do list. And right now I'm really looking forward to trying that POG juice adult beverage... the Tambu Sunset, is it?! :D

MillerPoppins

HollyBelle! I was on a minor break from here since my laptop died recently. But I was SO EXCITED to see a new trip report from you when I came back! After all the super sweet things you wrote about my trip report, I couldn't wait to read your latest installment. What a wonderful report!

I absolutely adore the fact that Rex and Dug were added to the tree! I'm such an UP nerd. AND that you have Sulley on your plush tree! I'm sorry that it was so cold down there during your trip, but happy that you had a great time. You have officially confirmed table dinners at La Hacienda during my next trip for me as well as Yakitori House.

So happy for you and Brett! Can't believe your wedding is such a short time away! :sohappy:

P.S-the photo of me and Tim is coming soon!

eagles

wow, how did i miss your trip report! loved it and fantastic pics as well as narration.

i promised my hubby i would not go to disney "world" this year. so i have not been keeping up on things, but i don't even know who this 'duffy' critter is. [now i never made a promise to not take a disney "cruise", so hoping we will be on the dream soon.} i don't think i could go a full year without disney of some sort. actually we will be coming up on the year mark in about 2 weeks. oh no!

can't wait to read your disney wedding/honeymoon report!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
HollyBelle! I was on a minor break from here since my laptop died recently. But I was SO EXCITED to see a new trip report from you when I came back! After all the super sweet things you wrote about my trip report, I couldn't wait to read your latest installment. What a wonderful report!

I absolutely adore the fact that Rex and Dug were added to the tree! I'm such an UP nerd. AND that you have Sulley on your plush tree! I'm sorry that it was so cold down there during your trip, but happy that you had a great time. You have officially confirmed table dinners at La Hacienda during my next trip for me as well as Yakitori House.

So happy for you and Brett! Can't believe your wedding is such a short time away! :sohappy:

P.S-the photo of me and Tim is coming soon!

I thought you may appreciate Sully! It's just too bad they don't have an adorable little Boo to go along with him. :D

Maybe by the time you write your next trip report Tim will come over to the dark side and let you post his mug all over the place. :lol: Speaking of, when will the next trip be?

As for the wedding, it is TOTALLY sneaking up on me. There's still so much to do!

wow, how did i miss your trip report! loved it and fantastic pics as well as narration.

i promised my hubby i would not go to disney "world" this year. so i have not been keeping up on things, but i don't even know who this 'duffy' critter is. [now i never made a promise to not take a disney "cruise", so hoping we will be on the dream soon.} i don't think i could go a full year without disney of some sort. actually we will be coming up on the year mark in about 2 weeks. oh no!

can't wait to read your disney wedding/honeymoon report!

Thanks, Louella! No need to know who Duffy is... I don't. :lol: So have you booked the Dream yet? You know you have no choice now that Tammy has started her cruise report. If her pictures don't tip you over the edge, I don't know what will! They're amazing!

Great trip report (as always)!!! I enjoy your narration as well as your awesome pictures!!

Thanks, meeskamickey!

thewdwguru

Hello fellow South Carolinian! Great trip report.

Where in SC are you? Which way do you drive to WDW? Do you go down I95 or go through Atlanta? I am in the upstate and usually drive I385 to I26 to Columbia and then towards Charleston and finally I95 South.

MillerPoppins

I wish they would make a mini Boo! They have that baby one that has her blanket but it's not the same.

I'm working on trying to get the next trip locked in. Unfortunately, Tim is out of work and has been for a year and a half. It all depends on him at this point. Us pulling that trip off with him unemployed was tough, but we can't do that again. If he gets a job, then we're going this year. If he doesn't, then it won't be until 2012 for sure. :confused:

I can't wait for your wedding trip report! :sohappy:

popsicletrees

Day 2 – Monday, December 13: DHS/Epcot

Initially the plan was to hit up Universal/IOA on Monday and spend the rest of the trip basking in the glory of all things Disney, which was a great idea I picked up from Rachel (popsicletrees) after reading one of her reports. However, Derek didn’t want to miss out on Universal/IOA so we pushed it off to another day later in the week and opted to go to the Studios that morning instead. But not before breakfast!

Woo-Hoo! Although you didn't get to execute the exact plan, at least you already know that Brett loves Disney so you didn't have to erase any early memories of Universal/IOA with a full week of WDW. That's my plan for our next trip too. Jordan and I are both huge Harry Potter fans, and my parents want to go back to Universal/IOA. The plan again is to do that on our first day. However, we also want to go to Sea World, and I cannot justify being on property for two days before going to a park. So, I think we will make that a mid-vacation trip.

Ok, I love this picture of the two of you. I know this sounds odd but one day you will look back at this photo and think, 'it is really strange seeing a picture of him without his wedding ring on.' I do it all the time now. It's a good feeling though.

Loved the trip report, of course. I always enjoy yours, and I cannot wait to read the report that comes from your trip next month! Again, you keep giving me more and more dining ideas. Hooray for character interactions. It seems like you really had a lot this trip. I need to do more. I didn't even do a single one this past trip, but that was mostly because of time constraints.

I'm disappointed that our trips were about a week off from each other's. I'd love to meet the two of you sometime.

Happy planning to you! This will be the longest and shortest month of your life!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Hello fellow South Carolinian! Great trip report.

Where in SC are you? Which way do you drive to WDW? Do you go down I95 or go through Atlanta? I am in the upstate and usually drive I385 to I26 to Columbia and then towards Charleston and finally I95 South.

Why, hello there! I'm also in the upstate... representing that fine avatar you have there! We're always going both ways (through ATL and Cola) to get to Disney. It just depends on the situation. Often we head to Brett's parents place in Columbia a day early to visit and get a jump start on the trip. Otherwise, we go through Atlanta. Sometimes it just depends on when we leave and what time we're expected to hit Atlanta and Orlando, because depending on which way you go, you can avoid one or the other.

I wish they would make a mini Boo! They have that baby one that has her blanket but it's not the same.

I'm working on trying to get the next trip locked in. Unfortunately, Tim is out of work and has been for a year and a half. It all depends on him at this point. Us pulling that trip off with him unemployed was tough, but we can't do that again. If he gets a job, then we're going this year. If he doesn't, then it won't be until 2012 for sure. :confused:

I can't wait for your wedding trip report! :sohappy:

Okay so, due to my super late reply, I have it on good authority that you've already booked your next trip, Karen! :lol: Yay!

Woo-Hoo! Although you didn't get to execute the exact plan, at least you already know that Brett loves Disney so you didn't have to erase any early memories of Universal/IOA with a full week of WDW. That's my plan for our next trip too. Jordan and I are both huge Harry Potter fans, and my parents want to go back to Universal/IOA. The plan again is to do that on our first day. However, we also want to go to Sea World, and I cannot justify being on property for two days before going to a park. So, I think we will make that a mid-vacation trip.

You've got a good point there, about not having to make Brett fall in love with Disney the way you had to do with Jordan. I'm obsessed with the Harry Potter series and would love to go back for Hogsmeade alone, so I can understand why you're making plans for it again.

Ok, I love this picture of the two of you. I know this sounds odd but one day you will look back at this photo and think, 'it is really strange seeing a picture of him without his wedding ring on.' I do it all the time now. It's a good feeling though.

Loved the trip report, of course. I always enjoy yours, and I cannot wait to read the report that comes from your trip next month! Again, you keep giving me more and more dining ideas. Hooray for character interactions. It seems like you really had a lot this trip. I need to do more. I didn't even do a single one this past trip, but that was mostly because of time constraints.

I'm disappointed that our trips were about a week off from each other's. I'd love to meet the two of you sometime.

Happy planning to you! This will be the longest and shortest month of your life!

Interesting point about the wedding band. That's kind of cool, and something I guess I hadn't thought about before. I love that.

Hooray for character interactions is right! I'm not going to lie, I think the thing I'm most excited for on the Disney Dream is the characters. :lol: Seriously, the cruise line gives Daisy Duck much needed love and attention. I'm going to be scouring that ship for Sailor Daisy! Along with so many of the others.

Right now this month is feeling way too short! And I never say that in the month leading up to a Disney trip. There are just so many little things I want/need to accomplish between now and then.

It is too bad our trips didn't overlap. Thanks for all the kind words, Rachel!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Still catching up! Glad this is still on page one, or else I might have missed it!

I loved reading this trip report; I can't even imagine being at WDW and freezing (and, living in NY, I am no stranger to freezing, but that's expected up here).

Good thing there were flip-flops for sale nearby, is all I can say. The alternative, of course, would have been to remain indoors while it was wet outside. Great suede boots are not to be mistreated. :lol: I noticed that they made a stylish re-appearance at the end of the trip. ;)

All of your pictures were fabulous, and thanks so much for showing us all the plush tree! What a great idea! I have a Disney-themed tree, but it's all ornaments, and therefore hard to photograph (I put up five trees in total. I am crazy.)

I, too, am a huge fan of the HP books. So much so that I wouldn't see any of the movies after the second one. I'd rather re-read the books and watch the images in my head. I'm glad to have seen WWoHP through your eyes, because I doubt that I'll see it in person. Never say never, though, I guess.

I'm sure that your lack of sadness at leaving was due to the fact that your next trip was (a) not too far away and (b) an eagerly-anticipated huge life event! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom