Tis the Season to be Freezin': A December 2010 Trip Report

Hello, again! :wave: I’m back with yet another holiday trip report, and I just realized this was my and Brett’s sixth consecutive trip to Disney World for the Christmas season! We really are so lucky. It was just us for the first two, but since 2007 we’ve been enjoying annual December trips with Brett’s family. Hopefully the tradition will continue in years to come.

With every new trip report, I struggle to come up with a creative way to introduce ourselves. I mean, really, there are only so many ways to say it. Especially when I feel like I already know so many of you, and you us. So let’s be brief... the cast of characters include myself, Holly, and my fiancé, Brett. Yep, we’re all engaged and in love (for all the ooey gooey details, check out the engagement trip report). As with all my previous December reports, along with us are some familiar faces: Brett’s parents, Kathy and Danny, and his brother, Derek.

IMG_0996edit.jpg

For this trip we had the pleasure of staying at AKL’s Kidani Village in a two bedroom dedicated DVC unit with a savannah view for five nights, Sunday, 12/12 – Friday 12/17. Bring on the giraffes and zebras!

Many of you know that we got engaged just this past August and we’re planning our Disney wedding for March 2011. Yes, yes, I know, I still owe you all a pre-trip/planning report. As you can probably guess, we’ve been planning (and I’ve been stressing over) our March trip for the last couple months and nary a thought has been given to the December trip. Once we returned from our August trip and started saving every penny for March, we took a look at our ADRs for December and slashed and burned some reservations. RIP: Bluezoo, Bistro de Paris, Boma, and the Brown Derby. Look at that alliteration! And we nixed the usual character breakfast we do once a trip (I think it was 1900 Park Fare). Since then, we hadn’t thought much about it. Seriously, the week before we left Brett said something to me along the lines of “Our dining is going to be a fun surprise; I’ve entirely forgotten what we booked.”

In a money saving effort, Brett and I also tried to slash our plans for Universal/Islands of Adventure, but his parents were having none of it. They purchased everyone's Universal/IOA park tickets as a family Christmas present. Best future in-laws ever! Ever, ever. So I'll be reporting on the Wizarding World and other such things in this report as well.

Time to get started...

DisneyRed95

I am so intrigued to try the Portobello Meatball Bar . . . It sounds really good! I may have to add that to our to-do list for our May trip!

It's so funny you commented on the parking lot tram. I actually did the Disney College Program and was placed at the TTC in the parking lot! So I drove the trams and talked on the back. Luckily it was during the summer, so I didn't have the cold temps, but I did have those lovely summer rain storms! It was quite an interesting job and an unforgettable experience! :lol:

Oh, and my husband and I love Nine Dragons! It's one of our favorite spots! I'm now hungry for their Fried Rice! Yum!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
I love your plush Christmas tree! Its adorable!
I cant wait to finish reading the tr. The trip sounds very cold so far!
I was glad to be back in Tampa while it was so cold up in Orlando.

Aww, thanks, Thumbelina! It was definitely cold, but we still had a great time.

I tried to get Holly to buy a Duffy for the Christmas Tree, but alas, she did not oblige. Oh well... we still got hugs from the guy!

I actually thought he had one of the better meet and greet "backdrops" that they keep popping up to block the beautiful Disney landscaping.

I'm such a tyrant... NO DUFFY FOR YOU! :lol:

Love the pic of the both of you kissing in front of the Osborne Lights. That one should have been your Christmas card!

Looking forward to more.....

That's one of my favorites, too. Thanks, jhoff!

Right now I just have two. A big ugly Lowepro that holds it all and a little one from Disney with Mickey on it that will hold the camera with one lens on it. I use the Lowepro when I'm doing family shoots or senior portraits. It usually ends up laying on the ground half the time. I do like that shootsac to carry lenses! That is a good idea.

When I'm touring, I usually just carry the camera around my neck. I don't want to have to dig it out. I also have one lens in a lens pouch in the family backpack we are usually carrying. On wet rides i used to stick the camera in the backpack but that drove stephen crazy. I bought the small Disney camera holder basically to put in the backpack. Now I stick my camera in the Disney bag, in the backpack.

I also use the small Disney bag on the cruise sometimes. It's nice to be able to put my camera away while we are eating rather than leave my camera in it's normal dangerous place - in the middle of the table.:lol:

You know we didn't get refillable mugs this time and we did have our own drinks and we only ate at Mara twice. I guess it's just the idea that there's no quick sevice at Kidani that bothers me!:lol:

Your pictures of the Osborne lights were awesome! You must have figured out that external flash!

Yeah, I almost always have my camera on me, but I feel like I have to have the bag as a "just in case." And I have a little lowepro style case for each of my individual lenses but because we don't carry any other type of bag, I can't get away with loading Brett down with them. :lol: Cruises are so much easier... I'm never too terribly far from the room!! And going inside for cover isn't hard if it starts to rain. At dinner, mine always ends up in my lap, under the napkin! :lol:

I'm still working on understanding that external flash, but I love it and don't know why I waited so long to get it. When bouncing it indoors I noticed I'm getting a lot of five o clock shadows and such, so I'm trying to figure out where to bounce, how much tilt, etc. The science behind lighting boggles my mind!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Catching up is such an undertaking when you're this far behind!

Just from your title I think you also have a whole new understanding and appreciation for the frigid trip we had last January. It's a whole new perspective, huh? I hope it wasn't as miserable for y'all. From the pics I've seen it looks like you handled it waaaaay better than I did. I don't do cold.

Okay. We chose poorly at the AKL. Seriously. I think I would've liked that resort a lot more had I had that big cushy king bed & great big shower to wander around in. I don't envy being at Kidani vs. Jambo. I've never even been to Kidani but from the pics and information I've read about it a lot of the things you pointed out have perplexed me as well. No QS eatery? Why not? Before reading what you had to say I don't think I was even aware that there was a shop of any size over there at all. All the pics I've seen of the lobby seemed tiny & understated in contrast to the grandeur of Jambo House. Why such a contrast? Is there a difference in story to account for it?

Yeah, there is only one other time I've been that cold at Disney... December 2007. But it was only really cold one morning and then it warmed up. So it didn't seem nearly as bad. Looking back at your pictures from that January trip, it appears to be even colder than the temperatures we experienced. I was just happy I packed multiple scarves for a change of pace each day!

No clue about the story of Kidani. But whatever the story, it lacks functionality. :lol: Tiny and understated may just be an understatement.

What is that guy doing? Is that the way he caught the ball? Like a miracle snag? Or is that him show-boating into the endzone? If it's the latter then he totally deserves to trip over himself and drop that ball. You know, counting your chickens before they hatch & all. Sorry. I know it's unrelated but I had to ask. LOL!

Yep... he's totally show-boating. It's what he does. You ever notice how you don't mind someone doing this when they're on "your" team, but when they're on the other guys team, they're just such an a$$!?!:ROFLOL:

I don't remember seeing presents under the Contemporary's gingerbread tree when we were there. I got the feeling that it was still a work-in-progress, tho, so that might explain it. Or I'm just that absent-minded. It's probably just me. Either way, I wonder what Donald got for Daisy?!?! Don't you?!?! Hhmmm...I'm thinking there's some killer suede boots in that box!

Yeah I don't recall them having gifts under it last year. That's one thing I like about the Christmas decorations at the resorts... they're ever changing. Especially the carousel at the Beach Club, the fact that the horses change every year is what makes it my favorite.

And Daisy could totally rock a pair of duck boots!

It sounds like Brett could've used me & my killer competitiveness to mow down the masses to get those TSMM FP's fast. LOL! Seriously. This bothers me about myself. I think TSMM FP runs bring out the worst in me so I'm thinking maybe I'll just have to start doing the standby punishment or give up that attraction altoghether.

And, 'Munks RULE!!!!

Yeah, he usually attacks the FP run with a vengeance, but started out at a disadvantage, seeing that we were just behind (or going through) the turnstiles when the rope dropped.

As tacky as Goofy's outfit is (you totally nailed the description, BTW), all I could think when I saw this pic was: "Thank God he doesn't have a sag going on - yet." I totally draw the line when the Big G's drawers head south & his belt buckle goes all bling. I wonder, would his exposed boxers have Mickey on 'em???

Agreed on the pic of Kathy & Danny. That's a total "awwww" moment. Good capture!

I'm with you about the sagging britches. Why, oh why, is that considered fashionable to some?

OMG! Brett totally reminds me! One of my mystery WDW Christmas gifts from Brian was a Muppets Vinylmation. When I opened it I found me a Swedish Chef!!! Score!!!!

You got the best one in the bunch. Brett and I have both said we'd buy Swedish Chef if only we could pick him out specifically. I'm not crazy fond of the vinylmations, but as a whole, I think that might be my favorite set.

The fabled Plush Tree!!! I get it now and adore this! Fully awesome is the best way to describe it! Oooh...I wonder if Tracey would let me do a 2nd Christmas tree upstairs on the landing?!?!

Oh yeah! Two is the way to go. Currently this is our only one, but I have every intention of having a more traditional tree, as well. In fact, my mom has two, the traditional one and an island themed one with margarita ornaments and leis for garland! Awesome, I tell you! Hmmm... I might have to find space for three trees so I can have one of those as well. :D

It's a Wonderful Shop. Your comments. Yes. That's the problem. So many of the shops around Disney are the same stuff arranged differently. No fun.

Yeah, I get bored with the shops. You've seen one... you've seen 'em all.

Camera strap! Talk to me, girl! Where did that come from?! Is that eBay? I think I've seen some like that but thought they were more for the little point & shoots. I'm thinking they're far less expensive than the crazy asking prices of some of the vintage Disney ones. Yes?

Nope, not ebay. Hand made! I've always liked the Disney ones, but never wanted to pay the price for them. Plus, I wanted mine to be unique. So, once my mom got a DSLR, we decided to make our own. She's done the majority of the work, since she's the expert at sewing and all, but they're not too hard to make. This one was our test case and it held up beautifully, so plan on seeing quite a few different ones during our March trip... if we can just find time to get them all done with the other "crafts" we've got going on for the wedding.

Yes! This is **just** the man you want to marry! When Tracey asked me if I'd really marry him all I could think is that at the very least I knew that every day for the rest of my life would have at least one laugh. Brett rocks! You'll laugh and have fun forever. What more could a girl ask for? Seriously. Even Jessica Rabbit understood the absolute appeal in a bunny who made her laugh.

Absolutely... couldn't have said it better myself. Laughter is so incredibly important in a relationship!

Agreed on the removal of the presents from beneath Epcot's tree. The absence of the presents has robbed that tree of it's color and charm. Trees under a tree. How un-creative is that?! Lame-O w/a capital "O" for OMFG!!! The very least they could do is some peaking characters sorta like your plush tree.

Totally... Epcot's tree was always my favorite of the four park trees. I think the loss of the presents drops it into last place. Crazy how much character the presents added to its overall look. The poor tree got caught in the cross hairs when they banished the beloved Lights of Winter.

Duffy. I agree with your perspective. The problem isn't with the bear himself so much as the blatant marketing pimping of the poor little guy. I see that and agree.

I loved Duffy looooong before he made his US parks' debut. I saw Duffy in a Tokyo Disney blog and all the fuss the Japanese make over him. I adored the whole concept and fell madly in love with the bear. I wanted my own Duffy bear so badly but couldn't afford a trip to Tokyo Disney to get one and wouldn't spend the $250+ on eBay to get one that came from Japan. Soooo, my blinders are on towards marketing's tackiness. I'm grateful for the opportunity to have not 1 but 3 Duffy's. The fact that I got to meet Duffy, too, was the icing on the cake! Just like the guy you saw, I was jumping all around giddy & stuff singing out, "I met Duffy! I met Duffy!" THEN the CM handed me the sticker and I went all squealing bananas all over again. This is why I reeeeaaallly think I would like to ditch WDW for a couple years in the hopes of going to Tokyo Disney. The Japanese "get" Disney more on the level I do. They embrace the Kawaii which is something I long for. Everything I've read says the theming, story, quality, etc. over there is leaps & bounds above & beyond the US parks. This is something I want to see for myself. The fact that I can dress in crazy fun themed outfits every day and carry around a cuddly teddy bear that's dressed to match makes it even better. I need to go be with these people! LOL

Looooving the TR, Holly! I'll catch up more later! Ugh! I hate getting torn away....

See, your love of Duffy wasn't born out of the Disney marketing machine... at least not the current one that is busting it's butt to make him popular and likeable at all costs. I've gotta agree with you fully about the Tokyo parks. Brett is in love with Japanese culture and has always wanted to make the trek. And like you, I'm in love with the idea of running around with my little plush characters hanging out of my bags enjoying the parks too. And let's get serious, have you seen the number of outfits Daisy Duck has over in Tokyo!? I wouldn't be able to ride a single ride, I'd be too busy running around meeting characters left and right.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
When are you going in March? My mom and I will be there March 3-11.

We'll be checking in on March 17, so it looks like we'll just barely miss you. I hope you and your mom have a great trip!

You are right that the rooms at Kidani are amazing. Your view looks incredible too!

Thanks for the camera bag info...I have a Lowepro and it definitely"screams 'camera bag!'", as you say. It has good padding though so I guess it will be okay.
Thanks for the luck! Is it weird that I am more nervous about waking up at 3 AM on race day than acually running the race itself? :lookaroun

No, not at all... :lol: For both marathons (the Full and the Princess Half) we experienced this exact same fear. I was so afraid I'd miss the whole race. I think I talked about it in my trip report for the Princess, but Brett woke up like an hour into sleeping and freaked out like we'd missed the whole thing. It certainly messes with your mind. We had two cell phone alarms, the clock radio and a wake up call set.:ROFLOL: Plus, the fact that you'll be worried about it will keep you waking up every hour, on the hour, checking the clock. So, no worries! :D I look forward to hearing all about it.

I could not agree more with your assessment of Duffy. We call him "Duffy the dollar bill slayer".

This is too funny. I overheard one guest explain to someone in her party that Duffy was Disney's version of the "Build-a-Bear" only you didn't get the fun of stuffing him, just purchasing the overpriced clothes.

I am so intrigued to try the Portobello Meatball Bar . . . It sounds really good! I may have to add that to our to-do list for our May trip!

It's so funny you commented on the parking lot tram. I actually did the Disney College Program and was placed at the TTC in the parking lot! So I drove the trams and talked on the back. Luckily it was during the summer, so I didn't have the cold temps, but I did have those lovely summer rain storms! It was quite an interesting job and an unforgettable experience! :lol:

Oh, and my husband and I love Nine Dragons! It's one of our favorite spots! I'm now hungry for their Fried Rice! Yum!

Mmmm... it's totally worth checking out. Look at it this way, if you don't like it (which I fully doubt) than you're only out $5! So you won't be too mad at me for suggesting it. :lol:

I can only imagine what kind of stories you have from running the tram. We kept saying how unfair it was that the driver had a nice little heated cab, while the poor soul on the back was hanging on for dear life in the freezing cold. And in the summer the driver has AC. Ugghh, I'd be so bitter if I were the announcer on the back.

Nine Dragons fried rice is my faaaaaaaaaaaaaavorite! :sohappy:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
My apologies for the delay... I got caught up with wedding stuff this weekend!

Day 3 – Tuesday, December 14: Magic Kingdom

We awoke early on Tuesday to find that Derek had arrived sometime in the middle of the night. And this guy was right outside the balcony, where he spent most of his time...

IMG_9203.jpg

The five of us got ready and made it over to Old Key West around 7:30 am for our breakfast reservations at Olivia’s. I was excited to dig into my favorite banana bread French toast (with Bahamian rum butter, bananas and whipped cream) that I didn’t even realize the description of the dish had changed. When my plate arrived I noticed that there weren’t any bananas, the whipped cream was coconut flavored and the bread left a lot to be desired.

The new, but definitely not improved, banana bread French toast:

IMG_9214.jpg

C'mon Olivia's, what're you doing to me? I was not impressed… the bread didn’t appear to be "toast" at all, and it was soaked (with syrup?), making it mushy; not to mention, the coconut whipped cream combination didn’t make any sense flavor wise. Just for comparison’s sake, below is a picture of the former Olivia’s French toast:

IMG_1428.jpg

So sad. Okay, moving on… I still adore the ambiance at Olivia’s.

IMG_9211.jpg

DSC03046.jpg

IMG_9216.jpg

And Kathy’s Mickey waffle did look pretty tasty:

DSC03048.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Initially, the plan for the day was to spend the morning at Epcot. Problem was, it was already 8:30 am and Epcot had morning EMH… so arriving at Epcot now would be an exercise in futility. It would be the most crowded park and we wouldn’t have even utilized EMH. So instead we headed off for the Magic Kingdom! We parked in Minnie and bundled up before making our way to the monorail. It took FOREVER. As others have been mentioning in their trip reports from early December, the monorail was having issues and moving at a snail’s pace. When we finally arrived at the MK, the morning show had come and gone and the park was quite empty. No doubt due to the fact that the previous night was evening EMH and there was a party scheduled for this evening.

IMG_9227.jpg

IMG_9229.jpg

IMG_9231.jpg

IMG_9232.jpg

We took off for Tomorrowland and grabbed some fastpasses for Space Mountain before hopping in the practically non-existent standby line. I’m not a fan of the techno beats they added to the ride. Although it didn’t really detract from my overall enjoyment of the coaster, it in no way enhanced the whole theme of being in space, for me. Instead, when we exited the ride vehicle I half expected there to be a rave!

IMG_9510.jpg

IMG_9254.jpg

After Space we took a quick spin with Buzz Lightyear. When we came out of the shop, we saw Stitch. Brett was quick to go meet him. For the previous 24 hours, he’d been whining over the fact that I’d met Stitch without him. :ROFLOL:

IMG_9261.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Yep... he's totally show-boating. It's what he does. You ever notice how you don't mind someone doing this when they're on "your" team, but when they're on the other guys team, they're just such an a$$!?!:ROFLOL:

Yeah, he usually attacks the FP run with a vengeance, but started out at a disadvantage, seeing that we were just behind (or going through) the turnstiles when the rope dropped.

I'm with you about the sagging britches. Why, oh why, is that considered fashionable to some?

Oh yeah! Two is the way to go. Currently this is our only one, but I have every intention of having a more traditional tree, as well. In fact, my mom has two, the traditional one and an island themed one with margarita ornaments and leis for garland! Awesome, I tell you! Hmmm... I might have to find space for three trees so I can have one of those as well. :D

Nope, not ebay. Hand made! I've always liked the Disney ones, but never wanted to pay the price for them. Plus, I wanted mine to be unique. So, once my mom got a DSLR, we decided to make our own. She's done the majority of the work, since she's the expert at sewing and all, but they're not too hard to make. This one was our test case and it held up beautifully, so plan on seeing quite a few different ones during our March trip... if we can just find time to get them all done with the other "crafts" we've got going on for the wedding.

Totally... Epcot's tree was always my favorite of the four park trees. I think the loss of the presents drops it into last place. Crazy how much character the presents added to its overall look. The poor tree got caught in the cross hairs when they banished the beloved Lights of Winter.

See, your love of Duffy wasn't born out of the Disney marketing machine... at least not the current one that is busting it's butt to make him popular and likeable at all costs. I've gotta agree with you fully about the Tokyo parks. Brett is in love with Japanese culture and has always wanted to make the trek. And like you, I'm in love with the idea of running around with my little plush characters hanging out of my bags enjoying the parks too. And let's get serious, have you seen the number of outfits Daisy Duck has over in Tokyo!? I wouldn't be able to ride a single ride, I'd be too busy running around meeting characters left and right.

Ugh! The show-boating...I don't really have a team that I follow so I dunno about that. Tracey was a Dallas fan for a long time but hasn't been so interested in them since Jimmy Johnson left. In fact, just tonight he gave me official permission to ditch his old Dallas Cowboys ornament. Gasp! I *might* have called myself a Dallas fan back when Aikman was on the team. I mean, c'mon, who wouldn't be a fan of that backside?! Romo just doesn't cut it. He's too much of a pretty-boy for my taste. Blech! Either way, I imagine if that were one of my sons show-boating into the endzone and positive outcome or not they'd be in hot water with me: 1. Sportsmanship and graciousness 2. Counting those chickens before they hatch. I'm a mean mommy. I know.

I was thinking that perhaps Brett was at a disadvantage with regards to the timing. He was totally the under-dog from the get-go. Hey! Kudos to him for even going. Knowing how long & insane those TSMM FP lines get, I can't say that I would've gone. I probably would've told everyone we'd suffer it out in standby or not go at all. LOL!

I have a nephew who does the sag thing. Well, unless he comes into my house. You can watch him when he walks thru the door. He'll pull his pants up & tighten his belt. If he doesn't, Uncle Tracey will pants him them treat him to a mega-wedgy! :D

The Christmas trees. Oh yes! My mother-in-law had a cool idea that I liked. She draped Mardi Gras beads all over the kids' tree in her den at her house. Your mom's leis made me think of that. Oh! And someday when y'all have kids you'll need a family tree to fill with the various ornaments they'll make at school. Those are my favorites. Our tree nowadays is full of whatever mish-mash of ornaments that we've collected over the years. We buy ornaments on trips, stuff that the kids have made, that relatives have made, personalized Disney ornaments for almost all of our trips, ornaments my mom made when I was a baby, some that came from Tracey's parents, etc. Decorating/undecorating is like this huge stroll down memory lane. I love it!

The camera strap! OMG! Y'all made that?! You must give me a basic idea of what you used to do this. Did you start with all the pieces & parts or did you take a plain, quality strap & sew the ribbon over? There's tons of great Disney ribbons out there. I bet I could do this! I'd also like to use the same idea to make Riley some new collars & leashes. Ooooh...you got my mind spinning.... :D

Imagine that fantastic toy tree outside Once Upon a Toy at Downtown Disney without all the board games and other toys underneath it. That would ruin that tree! I want to see presents under Epcot's tree again. I really, really do.

OMG! Yes! The Japanese get into the characters so much more. I loooove Daisy's outfits! I love all the different outfits they do on the characters over there. You don't even have to go to Tokyo Disney to soak up the awesomeness either. I'm reading a TR from TDL right now where the girl went to Kiddieland in Harajuku and they have this killer line of Minnie Mouse plushes called "Minnie Couture". There's a kick-butt one on eBay right now with an extra outfit for the bargain price of $125 + shipping. Ugh! Why doesn't WDW do anything this awesome?!?! I've never been as fascinated with Japanese culture as I am right now. In reading up on TDL I'm learning how conscientous the people are. Like they wear face masks over their mouths/noses if they go into the public when they're sick so they don't spread their germs. It's little things that clues you into how different and AMAZING the little cultural differences are. I'm ready to go! Now to just save that kinda money up..... LOL!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We made our way into Fantasyland, excited to experience the new queue for the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. I was impressed with it… I think on some levels it may even enhance the ride (especially for the little ones). I’m really curious though as to how this new craze to create games within queues is going to go over. I think it’ll cause some frustration for sure… when someone can’t move forward in the queue because the party in front of them is holding it up. Brett commented that it appeared they’d uprooted Pooh’s Playful Spot and turned it into the queue. Indeed they did. Only I’d even say they improved the Playful Spot by doing so. There's no doubt this combination fully improved the queue from an aesthetic point of view, that's for sure.

IMG_9264.jpg

IMG_9267.jpg

IMG_9270.jpg

DSC03064.jpg

IMG_9273.jpg

DSC03065.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

I promise you my fiancé is not the Unabomber; although, I wouldn’t be surprised if you didn’t believe me! :ROFLOL: By this day, Brett had really opened up to the idea of cross dressing. In addition to my gloves, he happily accepted one of my scarves and a pair of socks that were much warmer than the ankle socks he’d packed.

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Brett and I really wanted to meet Rapunzel and Flynn Rider so we split ways with the rest of his family for awhile. We headed over to Belle’s old haunt just as the first set was wrapping up. It was about 10:15 am and they wouldn’t be back out until 11 am. We contemplated just coming back later, but then a CM came by and said that the afternoon sets had waits over an hour, sometimes two. So we just decided to stay put. Funny isn’t it, I have no problem waiting 45 minutes for a character meet and greet, yet I scoff at waiting that long for a ride. We all have our priorities, don’t we?!

Actually, scratch that, it’s not entirely true, because I wouldn’t have waited that long to meet them if I’d already met them previously. However, I would have no problem waiting 45 minutes for a ride I hadn’t experienced yet. So I guess it has more to do with new experiences.

Eventually, they started to let us into the garden and children were given an opportunity to go up to the table and color a picture while they waited.

IMG_9293.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

Then Rapunzel and Flynn came out, surprising the kids by singing and dancing around the table with them. It was cute. I’m not sure how I feel about it always being this way, but it looks like this is going to be the future of meet and greets with face characters. For the little girls who got to hold Rapunzel’s hands and dance with her I’m sure it was magical, so I do see its worth.

IMG_9297.jpg

After the song and dance the kids were sent back to their parents…

IMG_9306.jpg

And Paschal made an appearance to keep folks entertained. The CMs got everyone to play “Pass the Paschal…” their version of Hot Potato. And then everyone was given an opportunity to get his/her picture with the chameleon. It was all a bit hokey, but I think the kids enjoyed it. In fact, I felt more like a creeper waiting for this meet and greet than pretty much any other I’ve waited for, and that’s saying something because I’ve even stood in line to meet the Little Einsteins. :lookaroun

IMG_9307.jpg

IMG_9317.jpg

Finally it was our turn to meet the characters and I have to say they were both great. Rapunzel asked if it was my first adventure out of the tower and wanted to make sure I had a frying pan handy for protection. Flynn of course jumped in to let me know it was a good thing he came along to rescue the princess.

IMG_9332.jpg

No matter how the above looks... I assure you I was NOT flirting with Flynn Rider as my fiance looked on and Rapunzel closed her eyes. :lol:

Of course when Brett joined us for a picture Rapunzel asked if he could smolder. My reply, “of course,” put him on the spot because Flynn challenged him to a smoldering duel!

IMG_9336.jpg

Overall, I’m really glad we decided to wait for the meet and greet. I was impressed with how in-character they each were. And I think they looked great. Now, is it too much to ask for a Mother Gothel meet and greet?! I’d wait even longer for that one… just to hear all about how mother knows best!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
IMG_9342.jpg

We headed back into Fantasyland for a bit. Mickey’s Philharmagic sounded like a perfect excuse to get out of the cold. Plus, it’s one of my favorites and a must-do on our trips. Afterwards we got in touch with Brett’s parents who were just getting on POTC, so we headed into Adventureland. We didn’t want to keep missing each other so we hopped in Pirate Goofy’s line and waited for them to exit the ride.

IMG_9365.jpg

In case you’re wondering… that’s Brett, with an eye patch. Seeing as how I felt the need to provide a description is very telling of how bad the chosen pose was! But hey, at least we try.

IMG_9367.jpg

We met back up with the family and all decided to head back towards Tomorrowland to cash in on our Space fastpasses. Brett and I were lagging behind a bit, discussing the plan for after Space. Brett’s parents and brother had ADRs for San Angel at Epcot. We had taken ourselves off that reservation a while back because we added La Hacienda and didn’t think it made much sense to do both in one trip, plus we were trying to cut down on spending a bit. I wanted to spend the rest of the afternoon at the Magic Kingdom (as did Brett), but he thought we should stick with his family for the afternoon because we hadn’t spent a lot of time with them that morning. So I was game. Our plan was to hit up counter service at Epcot while they had lunch and then meet back up for some attractions.

The paparazzi caught us lagging behind…

DSC03080_1.jpg

And we continued to let them photograph us once we caught up!

DSC03084.jpg

Not wanting to be late for their ADRs, Brett’s family decided to skip Space and head towards Epcot. I was just following along, snapping pictures as we went.

IMG_9383.jpg

IMG_9385.jpg

IMG_9390.jpg

Then I’m not sure what exactly happened. Brett and I got a bit caught up behind the trolley show and didn’t see his family up ahead, so we decided to head on towards the monorail. We switched lines at the TTC and while we were on the tronorail we got a text from Kathy saying they were in the car and headed back to the resort. Huh??! What just happened?! So here Brett and I are, getting off the tronorail at Epcot when we would’ve preferred to have stayed put at the MK. I’m not gonna lie, we were a bit frustrated. We were hungry though, so we decided to grab a bite to eat at Sunshine Seasons before heading back.

Sunshine Seasons was a madhouse… there wasn’t a table to be had in the whole place. I kid you not. We got our food and stalked folks who appeared to be finished with their meals. After about 5 minutes we were able to snag a seat. Lunch was good, but nothing spectacular. In fact, after paying around $20 for counter service, we spent most of our meal whining about how we should’ve went to one of the more reasonable table service restaurants (like the Plaza). It would’ve been a lot less stressful, much tastier, and about the same price when you factor in the Tables in Wonderland discount.

Lunch…

IMG_9392.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Anyhoo… after lunch we headed straight back to the monorail. Unfortunately, due to the ongoing monorail issues, it was almost 3:00 pm before we made it back to the Magic Kingdom. Seeing as how we usually take a break in the afternoons to nap or enjoy the pool, we are very rarely in the parks at parade time. I kind of wanted to see the parade so we headed up to the train station to grab a seat. It was freezing up there… and silly me, I forgot that the afternoon parades follow the reverse route of Spectro, so we ended up waiting quite a while before it got to us. The parade was okay… I much prefer Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle parade. No contest! I love the music and uniqueness of MJJP. We did have fun seats for picture taking though…

IMG_9427.jpg

IMG_9430.jpg

IMG_9442.jpg

IMG_9458.jpg

IMG_9464.jpg

IMG_9467.jpg

IMG_9482.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

IMG_9498.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We moved on to Tomorrowland to use our Space Mountain fastpasses from earlier. We handed them over and then laughed as we realized there was absolutely no one in line. Some shots of the empty queue:

IMG_9512.jpg

IMG_9513.jpg

Afterwards we grabbed a coke and headed into Cosmic Rays to watch Sonny Eclipse and warm up a bit.

IMG_9521.jpg

We found ourselves heading over to the Carousel of Progress. I really can’t remember the last time we took the time to partake in this attraction. Unlike many other Disney enthusiasts, I’m not much of a fan. I mean, I understand its history and I appreciate it for that reason, but it’s not an attraction I feel drawn to in any way personally. Seeing as how I’d forgotten much of the dialog, it did have me laughing quite a bit though. What with John belittling his wife, he appeared to be a poor man’s Don Draper! Doesn’t he know you have to have oodles of charisma to get away with that crap? :lol:

IMG_9528.jpg

IMG_9535.jpg

“Oh papa, all these people… I’m indecent!”

IMG_9534.jpg

IMG_9538.jpg

Okay seriously, Patricia has hit the botox way too hard, and at such a young age.

IMG_9546.jpg

IMG_9550.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We hit up the rest of the Tomorrowland attractions, bypassing the Astro-Orbiter… talk about freezing. Brett was the churro guy at the Laugh Floor. I enjoy that show so much, but I always fear that they’ll find me in the crowd and Buddy Boil will ask me to send him a number tele-pathetically. Because let’s face it, when this happens everyone in the place is laughing “at” the person and not “with” them. :lol:

As we were exiting Space Ranger Spin, Brett noticed Stitch making off with the red police cruiser! Yay… a hidden Stitch!

IMG_9553.jpg

IMG_9554.jpg

We saw it as a sign to subject ourselves to Stitch’s Great Escape. Ahhh… it just makes me sad. Afterwards we made our way towards the hub, where we caught the end of the castle lighting show. I can’t remember the last time we saw it, but when did Goofy and Donald start taking off their hats? It was so cool to watch as Goofy bowed with hat in hand and then slid it right back in place. So fun!

IMG_9561.jpg

IMG_9567.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We got a text from Brett’s mom that they were back in the park so we made our way up Main Street to meet them for our 6:50 pm ADR at Tony’s. The waiting area was absolutely packed (as always). It took about 25 minutes or so, but eventually we were seated. And it was completely unnecessary but sweet when one of the hostesses brought us one of those pseudo-fastpass tickets, you know the little yellow tickets allowing the whole party to bypass the line at a single attraction. We didn’t end up using it, because it was a party night, but still the thought was nice.

You know what I don’t understand? I don’t understand why people pay the extra money for party tickets and then spend an hour+ of that time eating at a table service restaurant. Can someone explain this to me? There were multiple families around us who were discussing what they were going to do first at the party. It just seems like a waste of time and money to be sitting there eating.

IMG_9576.jpg

IMG_9585.jpg

DSC03113.jpg

While Tony’s isn’t one of my favorite restaurants, I always enjoy our meals there. The ambiance is great and the food is good. We were lucky this evening and had one of the best servers, ever. I wish I would’ve gotten her name. She seemed to truly enjoy her job and interacting with guests in general. Overall, I think everyone was happy with their choices. Kathy and Danny ordered a fried zucchini appetizer and shared the NY strip entrée.

IMG_9590.jpg

IMG_9595.jpg

Brett had the lasagna and both Derek and I ordered the chicken parmesan.

IMG_9597.jpg

My entrée was huge, way too much for one person to eat. So I kept cutting off sections of my chicken and putting them on Brett’s plate. And then I think part of his entrée ended up on Kathy’s plate. Heck, we should’ve just ordered this whole meal family style!

How Derek could order dessert after all that food, I don’t know, but he got the ice cream bomb. It looked tasty, but I didn’t have enough room to even think about tasting it. Plus, I had only managed to shed one of my four layers while we were in the restaurant, so the thought ice cream didn’t entice me. :lol:

IMG_9598.jpg

After dinner Brett and I made a quick stop in the Chapeau to purchase some ears for our next trip. Yay! Wedding ears!

IMG_9599.jpg

Unfortunately, about six months ago (or more), they discontinued the fun top hat groom ears and replaced them with those hideous looking tuxedo groom ears. Due to supply/demand, folks on ebay are getting away with selling the top hat ears at more than $50 a pop. :eek: I don’t think so. Instead, I figured it would be just as easy (and much cheaper) to buy a basic costume style top hat and attach ears to it. Initially, I thought we’d have to buy some Mickey hat and pop the ears off so we could attach them to the top hat, but once inside the Chapeau I was delighted to find that they sell everything a la carte so you can make your own. Excellent! Brett’s ears only cost $2.50 apiece. I can’t wait until we get to wear them in March!

Kathy and Derek took off for some off site outlet shopping, while Danny, Brett and I headed back to Kidani. We were in our villa by around 9 pm. Seriously, we were back in the room very early every night of this trip. I think it was easily a combination of the cold weather and early park hours. Obviously, we’ve always dealt with the early park closings in December, but this year the cold kept us from doing things, like play mini golf, after the parks closed.

Next up... the Wizarding World and other such things!

Disneyfalcon

Yeah, I almost always have my camera on me, but I feel like I have to have the bag as a "just in case." And I have a little lowepro style case for each of my individual lenses but because we don't carry any other type of bag, I can't get away with loading Brett down with them. :lol: Cruises are so much easier... I'm never too terribly far from the room!! And going inside for cover isn't hard if it starts to rain. At dinner, mine always ends up in my lap, under the napkin! :lol:

I'm still working on understanding that external flash, but I love it and don't know why I waited so long to get it. When bouncing it indoors I noticed I'm getting a lot of five o clock shadows and such, so I'm trying to figure out where to bounce, how much tilt, etc. The science behind lighting boggles my mind!

I do like having multiple lenses in the cruise room! It's so convenient!! I hear you abou the dinner table though. It's always in my lap, on the table, etc. Never feels safe!:lol:

I'm very impressed with your flash work. I have really got to get used to mine. I've had more luck with it lately, so I need to keep playing!

I love the smoldering picture by the way! Awesome!:lol:

WDWFigment

Agree with you about Duffy. We actually didn't even meet him on our trip (a rarity, as we normally stop for ANY characters we have never met. I think it would have been more appealing to us if it weren’t so over-hyped and marketed. I was actually a little surprised when I purchased a Big Fig this year from 2005/2006 that had Duffy in it (in Santa Mickey’s bag). I knew he had been popular in Tokyo for some time, but I didn’t think it was that long. Just the same, we probably should have met him!

I laughed at the botox comment. I got some character close-ups from CoP with the 70-200 and their faces, especially Grandma’s, look SCARY. I would post them here, but this is a family site.

Your shots of Kidani make it look really nice, but we’re reluctant to stay there due to its proximity to the main parks (AK isn’t our favorite). Since we presently rely on Disney transportation, I don’t know if we could handle that. We’ll probably save AKV until we start renting a car.

The portraits of/by you at the Osborne Lights are great. I assume those are with the 50mm? We tried to have a friend take similar photos of us, but I opted to have him use the 70-200 because it produces nicer bokeh. Unfortunately, it weighs a lot, and is hard to hold steady, so few of the shots turned out. Next time we’ll just go with the 50.

I'm very impressed with your flash work. I have really got to get used to mine. I've had more luck with it lately, so I need to keep playing!

The lighting looks good on a lot of these. I’m hardly a master of lighting, myself, so take this with a grain of salt, but if you’re having problems with shadows when bouncing the flash, try using a diffuser instead OR bouncing behind you (if possible).

A diffuser is also great for photos outdoors. I bought a cheap Hong Kong one off eBay for $.99 shipped before our honeymoon (http://cgi.ebay.com/Bounce-Flash-Di...=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item33641d35e1 - example of what it looks like; I’m sure the Canon ones are similarly priced), but I used it so much in December that I’m considering getting this Gary Fong knock-off: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=344348&t=2553905 Whatever you do, I wouldn’t get the real Fong diffuser, as it’s like $60. You might even start with the $.99 to see if it’s something you would use.

disneygirl1

Hi, Reese! I actually thought about you and your little man as we were checking in, because I recalled we were both staying at AKL and our trips just barely overlapped. In fact, I was thinking how sad you probably were and I knew that it'd be me in just five short days. :(

I think I'm with you on hot over cold... since we've become more used to taking a somewhat slower approach with recent trips, I don't mind the heat. Especially because afternoons at the pool are perfection!

I'm not sure how you missed the March wedding trip conversations because they're scattered all throughout my engagement report. But that's okay, because now you know!

Ugh!!! I so did not want to leave AKL!!

We're heading back the end of August into Sept, and I definitely plan to enjoy afternoons at the pool as much as I can!

I'm such a scatter brain these days! I know you got engaged and all that fun stuff. But who knows how I missed the details on the March Wedding :shrug:!!! Can't wait to hear all about that! It's coming up fast! :sohappy:

Man, it looks like it was colder then the week we were there, none of the foliage was covered when we were there yet!

How do you like Tony's? Thinking of trying it in August, but reviews alway seem to be poor.

diddy_mouse

On dining and the ticketed parties...

I kind of agree with you. We have done MNSSHP and MVMCP and only stick to counter service because there is so much we want to see and do. If we have table service it's before we heard to the park. Case in point, we had dinner at Chef Mickey's back in '07 before hopping the monorail to the MK for the party.

When we were there in Oct we tried to get into Tony's without an ADR and were denied. :lol: It was my first attempt at a walk-up in years so I wasn't surprised when they didn't have any tables. Did I mention this was also a Saturday night when the MK was open til midnight? Yeah...not too smart on my part. I still want to try Tony's one day, I'll just plan it a little bit better. :hammer:

lisak09

Another great trip report:). How exciting buying wedding ears! Can't wait to read that report and see those photos:).

WishIWasAtWDW

loving your trip report holly! and your title is HILARIOUS! it really was freezing that whole week we were there. until, friday of course, when we finally had some nice weather. the whole week temperatures were in the 30s and then friday its 70 and that is our departure day. go figure. :lol:

i loved your ninja attire! i was also a ninja many days of the trip with my black scarf, black gloves and black coat.

your room at kidani looks beautiful! i really need to stay at the akl and get the full experience of the resort. we just visited for dinner at jiko and i thought the main lobby and hallways were just really dark and didn't seem as cool as i thought it would be. it was probably because it was getting dark outside, but still :lol: i just expected more. but the pictures of your room look amazing and have rekindled my desire to stay there!

i also feel your pain about wearing the same thing almost every day. in all of my pictures i was wearing the same coat. every chance i got, i tried to take off the coat for pictures. i also packed 4 different scarfs for a little variety. :lol:

and i love your fingerless gloves!! the whole trip i kept saying that i wish i had some fingerless gloves so i could use my itouch and so i could grab our fastpasses out of my purse a little easier.

your christmas tree is so cute! what a great idea!

can't wait to read more of your trip report! and i am very excited about your pre-wedding trip report!! all this wedding planning has been so overwhelming so i am excited to hear what all you have planned and if you found it as stressful as i currently am!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom