This is how bad the price increases are

slappy magoo

Whenever I see people complaining about WDW prices, I'm always reminded me of this bit from the Simpsons when they were goofing on Phantom Menace, and Comic Book Guy exclaims "Worst Cosmic Wars Ever! I will only see it 3 more times! Today!"

ppete1975

I cant wait till the star wars hotel........ ok I cant wait to hear the prices... I know I cant afford them (ok I cant justify affording them)

ppete1975

Free transportation is just a way to keep the cattle penned up rather than allowing them the open range.
theres big pros and cons with it
pro
no need to rent a car (saves stress and money)
no need to think about driving, you get to the airport and relax until you get back home (huge plus for me)
no getting lost
cons
captive market (better now with uber but honestly you will prob not leave the resort/parks)
visiting other parks/ roadside attractions/ florida probably wont happen

while I would love to go to universal, I don't because I use the magical express and there is so much at the Disney parks I cant rationalize spending the extra money to rent a car and then go to another park and spend even more money.

Disone

Free transportation is just a way to keep the cattle penned up rather than allowing them the open range.

I don't like that argument because the reciprocal doesn't pass the smell test.
If they started charging for transportation, absolutely no one would say "Oh good, no the guests will be free to rent cars and leave the property at their leisure. Quite the opposite, there would be a long line of "Thats the last straw I am never going....." posts.

Willmark

I don't like that argument because the reciprocal doesn't pass the smell test.
If they started charging for transportation, absolutely no one would say "Oh good, no the guests will be free to rent cars and leave the property at their leisure. Quite the opposite, there would be a long line of "Thats the last straw I am never going....." posts.
Not my point.

My point is that Disney isn’t providing Magic Express our of the kindness of their hearts, it’s to have a captive audience.

This is also why businesses like Garden Grocer have become successful.

Disone

Not my point.

My point is that Disney isn’t providing Magic Express our of the kindness of their hearts, it’s to have a captive audience.

This is also why businesses like Garden Grocer have become successful.

While true? What is the issue with that? Does Apple sells iPhones out of the goodness of its heart?

Again the reciprocal of your argument does not pass the smell test. While they may not be doing it out of the goodness of their heart they're also not doing it because they're evil.

They do it because it makes their product more enticing attracted while providing an incentive for people to ditch the car. So yes it's a win-win. Which is how a corporation should operate. It should find wins that benefit both itself and its customer. No doubt it benefits Disney I'm not arguing that. Part of the reason they do it is because they now know people won't rent rental cars and leave their property. But it undoubtably adds to the value of their properties as well.

There are things Disney does that I don't approve of, but this isn't one of them.

Willmark

While true? What is the issue with that? Does Apple sells iPhones out of the goodness of its heart?

Again the reciprocal of your argument does not pass the smell test. While they may not be doing it out of the goodness of their heart they're also not doing it because they're evil.

They do it because it makes their product more enticing attracted while providing an incentive for people to ditch the car. So yes it's a win-win. Which is how a corporation should operate. It should find wins that benefit both itself and its customer. No doubt it benefits Disney I'm not arguing that. Part of the reason they do it is because they now know people won't rent rental cars and leave their property. But it undoubtably adds to the value of their properties as well.

There are things Disney does that I don't approve of, but this isn't one of them.
Missed the part where I said evil. Oh that’s right I didn’t.

note2001

no worries. I wasn't trying to quote you there. Just using it as an adjective that was appropriately opposite of "Kindness of their heats".
I believe you were looking for the word selfish.
In my book the word evil is reserved for those few who intentionally destroy innocent lives.

BigThunderMatt

I read it. My jaw dropped. WDW doesn't seem to value their AP holders much any more...

Why would they? Sure the price the OP posted is considerable but even with parking and such factored in that other family of four who got tickets for 10 days with a dining plan and memory Maker paid considerably more and probably act a lot less demanding and entitled (not singling out anyone here just my general experience dealing with APs). Non AP family is just happy to be there and having fun. AP booked a week before and expects room number 1234 with a view of the MK fireworks and an adjacent unicorn that poops $100 bills because they're an AP.

Willmark

Why would they? Sure the price the OP posted is considerable but even with parking and such factored in that other family of four who got tickets for 10 days with a dining plan and memory Maker paid considerably more and probably act a lot less demanding and entitled (not singling out anyone here just my general experience dealing with APs). Non AP family is just happy to be there and having fun. AP booked a week before and expects room number 1234 with a view of the MK fireworks and an adjacent unicorn that poops $100 bills because they're an AP.
So basically just like the people who pull out the vaunted phrase: “do you know how much I paid for this vacation?”

Willmark

“A cage of one’s own choosing is still a cage no matter how nice the scenery.”

You’re fine with that obviously, I’m not trying to change your mind. I’m simply pointing out the obvious.

Willmark

Yep.

Disney is walking a fine line.

They are trying to get the guests to spend more money,but as of yet still trying to keep it “fair”. Could you imagine the uproar if they say offered a package of where those staying at a Deluxe could for say, oh I don’t $2000 for this hypothetical 10-day stay to get unlimited fast pass? (That’s $200 a day or $50 per person- probably to low for Disney). Could you imagine the hue and cry, calls of elitism?

At the same time I don’t doubt that Disney is looking very hard at a way to wring more dollars from the non AP customers in the upper income brackets with minimal cost to Disney. It’s simply smart business, the saying the “customer is always right” doesn’t apply anymore. Smart companies realize that the customers who actually spends money are always right. Even smarter companies realize that the customers in the top 3 quartiles of income are even better.

Now am I saying this for classist or elitists reasons? No. I’m pointing out that a successful company is going to target customers in the upper income brackets because they represent a higher $ generated per person per visit. AP holders? No they are a captive audience, same with DVC to a degreee?

Everyone else? I’m sure Disney provide good lip service (as does any company) but I’m sure they are not expending as much effort to entice them as the top 30%. Then of course it’s entirely possible on the other 70% to go for volume which results in packed parks.

YMMV and I’m sure people are going to misconstrue and/or get upset by this... it’s a hard cold fact of capitalism that companies want to make money, the fact that guests are happy is a far distant second IMO.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So basically just like the people who pull out the vaunted phrase: “do you know how much I paid for this vacation?”
Except they don't have what they feel is an ownership stake in the resort. I've seen some APs that do...

They are trying to get the guests to spend more money,but as of yet still trying to keep it “fair”.
If your concept of "fair" is "whatever they can afford to pay" then yes, they're being fair, just more fair to people with more money.

Willmark

Except they don't have what they feel is an ownership stake in the resort. I've seen some APs that do...

If your concept of "fair" is "whatever they can afford to pay" then yes, they're being fair, just more fair to people with more money.
All animals are equal, just some are more equal than others.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom