This is how bad the price increases are

KitchenKabaret

We were just at Disneyworld in April. Stayed six days at the Yacht Club, with a general public discount. I am truly sick over how much the trip ended up costing. It had been a few years since we'd been back and I thought prices were up considerably on everything. For example, I was always felt like Signature dining was in line with similar quality restaurants in the Northeast, where I live. I cannot say that anymore when entrees are almost uniformly fifty dollars and up. Even dinner at Biergarten exceeded two hundred dollars...seriously??? They're getting over three bucks for a Dasani water at the resorts that should only cost a dollar. We could have spent a week on the beach on the Gulf Coast, several times, for what we spent on our trip. We could have easily gone to Europe. I know we'll likely never stay deluxe again, unless we either save up enough for the new Star Wars hotel or we can get the money together upfront and rent points. I also know it will be several years before we go back. I even think that when we go back, we'll probably only do DHS for Star Wars, and then get in the car and hit the beach. Bottom line is that I came home from this trip feeling quite disillusioned with the experience and as I said, we had a good time while we were there.

KitchenKabaret

I can't see a better debate on why you wouldnt buy into DVC. This photo is like DVC marketing material to a T.

Now imagine these increase over 5yrs, 10yrs, 15yrs, more!

The price of accommodations isnts going in reverse. And if you plan or want to plan on attending Disney on the regular, DVC is your option to lock in now, and vacation for years to come on basically today's buy in costs.

Yes there are other digits to factor, but the same conclusion will be reached.

We began renting points in 2014, and have can literally do the same type photo argument you've created here, DVC rentals keep going up too! More per point to rent, year over year. The owners are the winners :)

Was our drive to become DVC owners last year. The longer you wait, the higher everything becomes.

There is absolutely a part of me that wishes we had bought into DVC when we had the chance; it makes the most sense from a monetary stand point. That said, I'm also somewhat happy that we didn't lock ourselves into annual Disney vacations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Yes, quite a few actually.

MVT is the best. I hate travel agents (they’re generally pointless - especially for Disney. I’ll book your stuff free of charge...it isn’t hard)

...but I do recommend mvt to many. They’re easy and have the best rates.

Much better than the sacred cow TAs (sponsors or shyster day jobs) on the other Disney sites.

Staying at Deluxe resorts is always something we want to do each time we go, but we know that it really is a fantasy to think like that, obviously. This year for our anniversary in early August, we wanted to stay at the YC as we never stayed there before and the amenities provided looked very nice for the style of trip we planned on taking focused around a Disney After Hours in the middle of the 3 night stay. The price with a general public promo was $338 per night, which I still think is still on sale at that price for the nights we have (Aug 3rd through the 6th). Then about a week after we booked it, a mailer came in for my wife with one of those promo codes that had us go to www.disneyworld.com/summeroffer and enter the code, her last name and zip code. To our surprise, many deluxe resorts were up to 30% off, including the Jambo House which is by far our favorite for $301 per night. I have never seen that resort that low unless there is pretty significant construction going on. So we changed to that resort after receiving that mailer. (note: the YC was also discounted to $315).

And just to note for OP, with this promo, the Poly is priced at $407 for a standard garden view room.

And here are two screen shots of all the prices with that 30% promo code applied for August 3rd through August 6th

PrincessNelly_NJ

There are ways around the increase but its still sad.

We were able to snag POFQ for $180 a night and a standard room at WL for $261.23 a night (tax included on both) in December. Which is great considering when I checked the pin code offer they sent out the cheapest room at one of the mods was $277 plus tax at POR.
My friend was able to split stay and get Poly for $291 a night and Garden Wing at the Contemporary for $300 a night (tax include on both) in early October

You can tell people are looking for other ways to afford their vacations. All the known ways of acquiring discounted gift cards seem to be going away slowly because they are becoming too popular.

There are ways around the increase but its still sad.

We were able to snag POFQ for $180 a night and a standard room at WL for $261.23 a night (tax included on both) in December. Which is great considering when I checked the pin code offer they sent out the cheapest room at one of the mods was $277 plus tax at POR.
My friend was able to split stay and get Poly for $291 a night and Garden Wing at the Contemporary for $300 a night (tax include on both) in early October

You can tell people are looking for other ways to afford their vacations. All the known ways of acquiring discounted gift cards seem to be going away slowly because they are becoming too popular.

Wow those are really good prices for Poly and Contemporary... I've never seen Poly below $350ish. If we can find a deluxe resort that is at or less than $300 a night, and we are staying with just us two and no family with a lot of long park days, then we will do that every time. When we go with our families, then it's not use getting a deluxe as we'll be spending most of our times at the parks during the days and nights.

disneyflush

We were just at Disneyworld in April. Stayed six days at the Yacht Club, with a general public discount. I am truly sick over how much the trip ended up costing. It had been a few years since we'd been back and I thought prices were up considerably on everything. For example, I was always felt like Signature dining was in line with similar quality restaurants in the Northeast, where I live. I cannot say that anymore when entrees are almost uniformly fifty dollars and up. Even dinner at Biergarten exceeded two hundred dollars...seriously??? They're getting over three bucks for a Dasani water at the resorts that should only cost a dollar. We could have spent a week on the beach on the Gulf Coast, several times, for what we spent on our trip. We could have easily gone to Europe. I know we'll likely never stay deluxe again, unless we either save up enough for the new Star Wars hotel or we can get the money together upfront and rent points. I also know it will be several years before we go back. I even think that when we go back, we'll probably only do DHS for Star Wars, and then get in the car and hit the beach. Bottom line is that I came home from this trip feeling quite disillusioned with the experience and as I said, we had a good time while we were there.

I get what you are saying about the cost being so high. Did you use any type of spreadsheet or budgeting tool before you went? I have my family's next trip budgeted and feel pretty confident in the total amount we will spend down there one everything. Is there a particular area that exceeded your budget more than expected or researched before you went? Trying to get a handle on what to look out for.

I get what you are saying about the cost being so high. Did you use any type of spreadsheet or budgeting tool before you went? I have my family's next trip budgeted and feel pretty confident in the total amount we will spend down there one everything. Is there a particular area that exceeded your budget more than expected or researched before you went? Trying to get a handle on what to look out for.

Yeah that is how I do all our trips these days. I feel Disney offers a lot of insight into their prices for food, shows, and other various activities you and your family will partake in during your trip, on top of the many resources online that people have created to get as much information as possible before you go so you know at least 90% of what you'll be spending once your there.

eliza61nyc

That is so interesting because I live in the Northeast and I usually say the opposite. lol, "We could have gone to Disney for that price". for example, last year we went to Ocean city NJ. 1 week beach rental, 1 block away from beach. 3500 bucks. beach tags (In NJ you have to pay to sit on the beach! :mad:) 100 bucks for 4. food for the week (now in the interest of full disclosure, I don't cook on vacation, whether I have a kitchen or not) ~1400.00 plus snacks, boardwalk games and mini golf. almost 6K. So I have not been on a vacation that was so uber cheap.
We did a Royal Caribbean cruise on the Oasis of the Seas, once again 7k by the time we finished with on shore excursions and drink packages.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
That is so interesting because I live in the Northeast and I usually say the opposite. lol, "We could have gone to Disney for that price". for example, last year we went to Ocean city NJ. 1 week beach rental, 1 block away from beach. 3500 bucks. beach tags (In NJ you have to pay to sit on the beach! :mad:) 100 bucks for 4. food for the week (now in the interest of full disclosure, I don't cook on vacation, whether I have a kitchen or not) ~1400.00 plus snacks, boardwalk games and mini golf. almost 6K. So I have not been on a vacation that was so uber cheap.
We did a Royal Caribbean cruise on the Oasis of the Seas, once again 7k by the time we finished with on shore excursions and drink packages.
Yeah I learnt about the beach pass this year.

John park hopper

I don't think you can compare what you spend in the NE with other parts of the country (not the west coast) wages tend to be higher, your taxes are outrageous both property and state income tax and sales tax. Beach front rentals here in SC are much cheaper and no fee to sit on the beach or parking fee.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I don't think you can compare what you spend in the NE with other parts of the country (not the west coast) wages tend to be higher, your taxes are outrageous both property and state income tax and sales tax. Beach front rentals here in SC are much cheaper and no fee to sit on the beach or parking fee.
Went to the Grand Canyon July 2017. I dont know what the lodging costs were as I didnt pay that bill but if they were anything like food costs it was on par with food costs at Disney and the quality and selection was not as good.

eliza61nyc

Lol. Totally OT,
Don't get me started John, got a letter last month from city of Philadelphia , property taxes going up 33% to almost 11k a year and believe me I donot have a mcmansion. My youngest just graduated from college, so now I'm seriously considering seller the old homestead. 1,000 bucks a month is insane.

Ok rant over, I know return you to your regularly scheduled program.

John park hopper

Lol. Totally OT,
Don't get me started John, got a letter last month from city of Philadelphia , property taxes going up 33% to almost 11k a year and believe me I donot have a mcmansion. My youngest just graduated from college, so now I'm seriously considering seller the old homestead. 1,000 bucks a month is insane.

Ok rant over, I know return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Grew up on LI NY ( got out years ago) my brother is still up there has a postage stamp size lot nice house but nothing extravagant and paying 12 grand in property taxes. I keep telling him to come to SC I have 3 acres and a 3,000 square ft house and 2 minutes from the boat landing and and the ocean. Taxes $1500 a year. Guess that is why we are being invaded by y'all from the NE Welcome to come but please don't try to change it into what you came from

dieboy

Is this high Disney hotel prices something new? I dunno, I just expect everyone to realize they are being gouged to all heck by staying on property, regardless of AP/DVC status.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Is this high Disney hotel prices something new? I dunno, I just expect everyone to realize they are being gouged to all heck by staying on property, regardless of AP/DVC status.
Not really. Rack rates have always been rather high. Disney has been discount heavy ever since 9-11 and as crowd levels continue to increase, there is not as big of a business reason to provide discounts. Emotions aside, its a business and other high destination high occupancy high demand experienced do the same thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom