This is how bad the price increases are

breesus

I believe some of these price increases are being used to offset the massive discounts being given to all the conferences and conventions being held on property. My wife is a physician, and we have looked into 2 conferences for the exact same dates in July. One is at GF and the other YC. The promo rates are 50% or more off rack. $265 for GF and $245 for YC. While I hate her going to a class while kids and I vacation, it’s usually only for 3 - 1/2 days, so we just extend our vacation to compensate for the lost time. These rates are good for 3 days before the conference and 3 nights after. Same thing happens with all the UDA dance and cheer comps. We were looking to go without her attending a conference and staying at POFQ, but the rate was $320, and I do not get to take the tax deduction. No brainer on what our choice will be.

HouCuseChickie

I've been saying for some time now that it's the room prices that really should be the focus when the media latches on to Disney price increases. According to my trip notes (I keep them for budgeting projections), I paid $415 a nt for a room at YC over Thanksgiving 2012. In 2018, that same garden view room will run you an extra $207 a nt for those same days. I get that prices go up each year, but that's about a 50% increase over 6 years. I also can see what @breesus is pointing out. We were part of a large group for our 2016 trip and even the Contemporary rates for the group were around $280-330 a nt.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Yes I knew that we can stay anywhere as members on property points OR cash and get free parking. Not just DVC resorts and not just using points. That I was aware of. They sent our notices to all of us with the new parking rules. ;)
Sorry if my comment was misunderstood, I was just giving an additional example after confirming the DVC point renters don't pay for Resort parking (because for both they were already paid for by the owner in the annual dues).

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Sorry if my comment was misunderstood, I was just giving an additional example after confirming the DVC point renters don't pay for Resort parking (because for both they were already paid for by the owner in the annual dues).
I understood what you were getting at so no need to apologize. No worries. Sorry if my response seemed like I was annoyed ..I just went back and looked at it. Lol. Didn’t mean to come off like that’s if I did. I’m not one to fret about anything on here like some. Ha! :bookworm::joyfull:

James Clifton

Just think...that parking is FREE" money.It is also BIG money....multiply
# of rooms sold just figure a ..4 night stay!THEN....figure in the "other "deluxe"resorts...add the cost together &get surprised at the FREE money WDW gets! Thats just for the deluxe!
Jim

celluloid

Who said they even did?

They do, but they also know the same people who complain are the ones who still go;or when they can't afford to go cave into a pass with more black out dates but fill the times.of year that used to be quiet and and are the same ones who complained about no quick service discounts but bought tables in Wonderland.

They do not have to give perks to people who will buy a Dole Whip full price.

Last edited:

Raineman

You had me for a moment, but I can't see it that way. It's law that Disney cannot keep us from using our own property.

These new parking fees are just a nasty shakedown of the resort guests. A shakedown that Disney never should have come to. Ignore their cries about it being "industry standard" because last time I checked Disney WAS the standard everyone else was looking up to.
Just a question: was Disney ever the standard for the hotel industry? If we are talking theme parks, they have always been the measuring stick, but as far as resort hotels go, I don't know if they have ever approached the standards of the hotel industry giants. Not saying that they couldn't be, I'm just not sure they ever were. I think that, all along, the hotel side of the business for Disney was just to supplement the theme park side and ensure that they were getting as many of the tourism $ as they could, without ever fully engrossing themselves in the hotel business.

note2001

Just a question: was Disney ever the standard for the hotel industry? If we are talking theme parks, they have always been the measuring stick, but as far as resort hotels go, I don't know if they have ever approached the standards of the hotel industry giants. Not saying that they couldn't be, I'm just not sure they ever were. I think that, all along, the hotel side of the business for Disney was just to supplement the theme park side and ensure that they were getting as many of the tourism $ as they could, without ever fully engrossing themselves in the hotel business.

I see what you're saying, perhaps their rooms and cleanliness can leave something to be desired, but I'm talking about how they treat people. When it comes to service with a smile nobody beats Disney. Companies ranging from supermarkets to PR firms, hospitality to oil industries all know that Disney trains their people right, and treats the guests with respect. (Take note kids, get that CM status on your resume and it is far easier to land a job.)

Their resorts have always been open, friendly, and gave the impression that the cast members had your back. I have many examples of this from my own experience particularly when things have gone wrong on our stay be it back at home, or with the resort stay itself. Charging paying guests to bring their cars in while staying is a disrespectful slap in the face that says they no longer care about the guest's stay, only about what they can siphon from their wallet.

Last edited:

OneofThree

When you look at ticket prices, the cost virtually mirrors what it was in the 80's, specifically in relation to average US household income. I lived in Orlando long enough to know that the area surrounding WDW is absolutely packed with beautiful hotels more than willing to provide nicer accommodations than Disney at a better price. I agree completely that Disney is offering on-site guests less and charging more. But we're not locked into staying there.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I believe some of these price increases are being used to offset the massive discounts being given to all the conferences and conventions being held on property. My wife is a physician, and we have looked into 2 conferences for the exact same dates in July. One is at GF and the other YC. The promo rates are 50% or more off rack. $265 for GF and $245 for YC. While I hate her going to a class while kids and I vacation, it’s usually only for 3 - 1/2 days, so we just extend our vacation to compensate for the lost time. These rates are good for 3 days before the conference and 3 nights after. Same thing happens with all the UDA dance and cheer comps. We were looking to go without her attending a conference and staying at POFQ, but the rate was $320, and I do not get to take the tax deduction. No brainer on what our choice will be.

That's not the way conferences work. Not doubting you are getting 50% off. But there are many factors around discounted room rates for conferences. Including the amount of spend the organizers of the conference have committed to: meeting space, dinners, meals, cocktail receptions (all the catering and alcohol is being supplied by Disney and is being paid for by the conference). For this they will give some type of concession. But it's not 50%.

That's why conferences have sponsors, and why many companies subsidize a part of the cost of the rooms for their employees to attend. They expect their employees to extend (especially at a place like Disney), it's almost akin to an incentive for them. But rest assured, Disney is getting paid for those rooms at nearly full rate.

Dutch Inn '76

I'm glad y'all are all upset about how expensive the rooms are. Since you aren't going to be frequenting WDW anymore, maybe supply and demand will cause the prices to drop. ;)

DisAl

Sometimes I wonder if Disney executives have adopted the part quoted below of the old "Rawhide" tv show theme song as their new business model. I am beginning think they view us as just cash cows. ;)
"Keep movin', movin', movin'
Though they're disapprovin'
Keep them dogies movin'
Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em
Just rope, and throw, and brand 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom