The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

FigmentJedi

lol!
Yeah I know!. The Leroy thing is one of the chars.. supposedly is a bad guy and ends helping stitch in the end.
It's an evil red Stitch that Hamsterviel forces Jumba to create so that he can be cloned into an army to take down the federation and recapture all the experiments Lilo and Stitch reformed. Of course, Jumba ended up putting a failsafe in that causes them to short out when hearing Aloha Oe.

Longhairbear

I'm sorry, but that will not work. The "motion detector" is actually a passive infrared sensor (PIR). They require both object motion and the infrared radiation emitted by people, animals, etc. A balloon does not emit infrared radiation.
I've never tried it myself, wanted to on many trips to WDW. The balloon theory is what everyone on various DVC boards says works.

Next Big Thing

Not that surprising.

The queue has been neutered with the Potter overlay

The ride doesn't duel anymore

It takes up a HUGE chunk of land (bigger than LC currently)

The ride isn't that themed and gives you "wondrous" views of a retention pond and the HE heading to backstage USF

The Wonka idea for replacing LC is just too good to be passed up

Dueling Dragons definitely holds Hogsmeade down next to Diagon from the pictures I've seen (the FJ show building too)

I don't want Potter taking up 25% of each park, either

And it gives Universal a chance to top the Disney Mountains in thrills AND theming.
You already cluttered up entire threads about Dragon Challenge closing over on OU. Please keep this nonsense away from this thread.

Seriously, it's nothing more than a fanboy pipe dream right now.

theRIOT

Really? I see a very limited range of Potter merch in Orlando outside the parks, which is odd given that even Publix and Wal-Mart devote an aisle to Disney merch.

Indeed. Two separate candy stores sell them here. But that's it, besides the Lego-branded merch that was mentioned by another poster.

ParentsOf4

According to a June 9 article in the Orlando Sentinel, tourism is picking up. (Thanks to @seascape for posting the story.) As a result, we should see increased attendance and hotel occupancy across all sectors in Orlando.

Quoting from the article:

“Through the first seven months of the county's fiscal year, tourist-tax collections were almost $122 million, about $8 million more than in the previous fiscal year. That's an increase of 7 percent.”

Tourist revenue collected is perhaps the single best indication of the strength of the local economy.

The article goes on to report:

“Through the first four months of the year, revenue per available [hotel] room was almost $93, up more than 10 percent from the same time last year.”

Some caution should be exercised when interpreting these numbers. Prices are up at all theme parks and hotels, which probably is the single biggest driver of this improvement. Still, it’s a good sign for the local economy when non-WDW/UOR hotels can raise prices and still improve occupancy rates.

Note that the data reflects business in the months prior to the opening of SDMT and Diagon Alley. Historically, theme park attendance drops a bit before the opening of major rides as vacationers modify plans in order to experience the new attractions. The increase before these openings suggests a strengthening tourist industry in central Florida.

Barring external forces, the rest of 2014 and 2015 are shaping up to be very good years for Orlando tourism.

WildcatDen

First, TNA is a wrestling promotion much like WWE.... Without the billions of dollars.

Second, Wawa > jimmyjohn's or subway
Wrestling promotion. OK. That makes more sense than the Tennessee Noodle Authority.

Wawa? none of those in the Cincinnati area (that I am aware of). Here we have Jimmy Johns, Subway, Quisnos, and Jersey Mikes as our main 'cold' sandwich places. Of course, a double decker from Red Squirrel is nice as well as the corned beef from Izzy's.

So, a 4 month rehab for CRT???? Seems like a long time to clean carpets and wash windows?

WildcatDen

Do you mean in volume? They had the Austin Moon musical.. Zapped is premiering soon..

this wiki makes it look like this years pace is just a tad below the previous years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_Channel_Original_Movies

I think Teen Beach musical did ok for them.. but theres not been a HSM or even Camp Rock in awhile..
On a related note, anybody follow R5? My daughters are big fans and we even went up to Chicago last year to see them perform at an event outside McCormick Center. They are really a pretty tight band and I am a bit surprised Disney has not jumped on promoting them more with Ross being part of the group. Pretty neat to see a family this talented (OK the drummer is not family). Also, as a side note, met their mother at the Chicago event. Lovely person.

Tigger1988

probably because they(disney) wanted people to forget about how messed up some stars from the mickey club/team are ? (Miley Cyrus, Britney Spears, Aguilera..etc..)
Cyrus was never on Mickey Mouse Club and Spears had a mental issue. There were nearly 2 dozen members on the 90s MMC and if you can only pick out 2 that had "issues" I'd say we're doing pretty good.

Disney didn't do a 4th version because they're short sighted idiots, not because Britney Spears shaved her head.

justavoice

On a related note, anybody follow R5? My daughters are big fans and we even went up to Chicago last year to see them perform at an event outside McCormick Center. They are really a pretty tight band and I am a bit surprised Disney has not jumped on promoting them more with Ross being part of the group. Pretty neat to see a family this talented (OK the drummer is not family). Also, as a side note, met their mother at the Chicago event. Lovely person.
I am surprised also on the R5 deal. I am just not seeing much cross pollination of Disney records and DTV as much as we used to. The offerings of DTV original movies has dropped from a high of 12 new original movies in 2000 to 1 last year and 3 on tap for this year. The average since 1999 is over 6 movies per year. Looks like WDW is not the only thing that is being limited on budgets. The entire Disney empire at the present time seems to be about boosting or trying to keep level with stock price hence stock buyback and limit original programing. Reap money from people without offering any thing new is the new mantra and oh yeah, lets have a bunch of people talk about it in 140 characters or less (which is actually brilliant because how many different ways can you describe FLE in 140 characters?). I do not know if HP at UNI will wake the giant but whomever inherits the top position is going to have to learn to be creative something I never thought would have to be taught at Disney.

Fe Maiden

I took my wife by there to see what she thought and she said "how old is that place? You want to stay there?" Lol They sure did a great job, it looks amazing but wonder how many others have said the same thing.

That was not the best theme for a resort hotel, it won't age well at all. And we spend a few weekends out of the year in Wildwood, NJ which gave birth and re-birth to the Doo-Wop motels. It works best for the family-owned and operated motels with small footprints, very customer friendly. There are a lot of great ones, our favorite is the Caribbean:

http://www.caribbeanmotel.com/

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That was not the best theme for a resort hotel, it won't age well at all. And we spend a few weekends out of the year in Wildwood, NJ which gave birth and re-birth to the Doo-Wop motels. It works best for the family-owned and operated motels with small footprints, very customer friendly. There are a lot of great ones, our favorite is the Carribbean:

http://www.caribbeanmotel.com/
When I was a kid we stayed at the Cardinal Motel in N Wildwood every summer. I haven't been to Wildwood in years, but I think it actually still exists. One of the few that wasn't turned to condos during the real estate bubble.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
According to a June 9 article in the Orlando Sentinel, tourism is picking up. (Thanks to @seascape for posting the story.) As a result, we should see increased attendance and hotel occupancy across all sectors in Orlando.

Quoting from the article:

“Through the first seven months of the county's fiscal year, tourist-tax collections were almost $122 million, about $8 million more than in the previous fiscal year. That's an increase of 7 percent.”

Tourist revenue collected is perhaps the single best indication of the strength of the local economy.

The article goes on to report:

“Through the first four months of the year, revenue per available [hotel] room was almost $93, up more than 10 percent from the same time last year.”

Some caution should be exercised when interpreting these numbers. Prices are up at all theme parks and hotels, which probably is the single biggest driver of this improvement. Still, it’s a good sign for the local economy when non-WDW/UOR hotels can raise prices and still improve occupancy rates.

Note that the data reflects business in the months prior to the opening of SDMT and Diagon Alley. Historically, theme park attendance drops a bit before the opening of major rides as vacationers modify plans in order to experience the new attractions. The increase before these openings suggests a strengthening tourist industry in central Florida.

Barring external forces, the rest of 2014 and 2015 are shaping up to be very good years for Orlando tourism.
This is very much anecdotal evidence, but on our way to the Gulf coast for my not even close to Spirited or faux 1% family vacation we stopped at DTD last Saturday. It was beyond packed. Thanks to advice from people here we parked in the CM lot behind the gas station and had no issues getting in and out, but at the time we arrived I wasn't expecting that big of a crowd. Rain Forest Cafe had about a 45 minute wait at 12:30 for lunch and when we left at 3PM they still had a wait. You could barely walk around or get through any stores. Now I understand the need and desire to expand that place. We didn't spend any time at Disney or Universal since we were just passing through so I can't comment on the crowds at the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom