The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

71jason

i didn't suggest that or ask if it would. i'm merely asking if it might create a shift in opinion both in the public and corporate spheres.

i'm not a lawyer, nor am i going to pretend to be one over the internet. however, as someone capable of critical thinking, i'd merely assume that landmark supreme court cases have some kind of impact on the overall consciousness of the public. i don't think many americans know and/or care about how much personal information they willingly hand over to companies. since this ruling, in essence, protects data collection on cell phones in criminal cases under the fourth amendment, maybe very conservative corporate america becomes more leery of doing so for mining purposes? thinking, at some point, their boilerpoint terms and services may be challenged and cost them an a** ton of money? or maybe enough people stop and think, "huh. wonder what i'm giving up when i use my iphone"? or maybe there's no reaction or correlation at all.

again, not really offering an authoritative view on the matter, but thought it might be relevant to continue framing some of the MM+ discussion.

I actually am a lawyer, and sort of an expert on constitutional criminal law. This case was very limited in scope, to physical, "real world" inspection of a suspect's cell phone following arrest. The police can still access the information on your phone if they have a a warrant, which won't be that hard to get if you've already been arrested. What the Court basically said is reading through your call list is different than emptying your pocket (for a couple different reasons none of which I feel like rehashing). It's a major case for police, but sadly I don't think it demonstrates a new-found respect for privacy of information.

RivieraJenn

I think children need to be a part of things where they aren't working for themselves, but a greater achievement. Whether that's sports or something similar, I think it's very valuable. More importantly, I also think kids need to experience a loss. I'm not saying Batman's parents dying in front of him, but a sports loss is important. They need to understand that things aren't always going to go their way and that while individual achievement is important, working together is also important. Sports team's are the most common approach to achieving both. Yes, there are other ways but the concepts still exist.

I agree that the concepts you list are important, absolutely. I just disagree with the sweeping statement that kids not participating in organized sports is a large part of "what's wrong" with an entire generation. Particularly when that generation probably has a higher rate of participation in childhood sports than any generation in history due to the massive explosion in opportunities for involvement. There are numerous other ways for those lessons to be imparted. Some people (myself included!) just don't like sports. It isn't their thing. Doesn't mean they're going to turn into self-centered adults who pitch hissy fits when things don't go their way.

That said, I don't want to incite any adult hissy fits over drifting way off topic (kidding, kidding!), so I'll bow out of the public child-rearing discussion now. Always happy to continue the conversation privately if desired.

Bairstow

I actually am a lawyer, and sort of an expert on constitutional criminal law. This case was very limited in scope, to physical, "real world" inspection of a suspect's cell phone following arrest. The police can still access the information on your phone if they have a a warrant, which won't be that hard to get if you've already been arrested. What the Court basically said is reading through your call list is different than emptying your pocket (for a couple different reasons none of which I feel like rehashing). It's a major case for police, but sadly I don't think it demonstrates a new-found respect for privacy of information.

Speaking as a criminal trial attorney, this ruling is going to have a lot of immediate repercussions, especially for young people.
I personally have at least two cases that I expect to have dismissed on the back of Riley.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
If I had a Spirited Musings post today it would likely be ''Mmm... that Slurpee was good.''

Yep. I don't have any fresh material today and I'm afraid that if I don't post something that talk will degrade to Bronies, sandwiches and Avatar (I actually enjoy one of the three, you guess which!)

Has something happened of note? Did Disney remove another MK planter? Secretly sell off some more land? Any Lifestyler get arrested? (things do heat up in the summer) ... What are they whining about in the Twitverse (beyond yours truly)? I know they all seem upset about D23 as if it has been anything of note beyond the first year when it sucked so many in.

mahnamahna101

Agreed. I'm not a fan of the steel coasters in the Universal parks, and I actually feel that Dragon Challenge is the most egregious now that it's no longer dueling. I would be disappointed if a Phase 3 expansion of Harry Potter does not include removing this in favor of something better themed.
Don't say that at Orlando United!! It's a world class, immersive E ticket! Might get mugged ;) for the record, DC's plot could fit 3 or 4 attractions. Everest-sized coaster, Ford Anglia suspended dark ride, Alien Encounter style show themed to Shrieking Shack and possibly an Azkaban attraction. Maybe a Whomping Willow flat ride. Finish the FJ show building and add the Great Hall.

Use DC for Phase 3 and LC can become Wonka

WDW1974

Original Poster
as a floridian i love the heat, i havnt even turned on my ac yet this year..
being on the 3rd floor i keep my windows open and ceiling fans going..

i save alotta scrilla on electric bill.

That's shocking to me. My AC has been on every day since I returned from Europe ... basically from February until now. I couldn't live without AC in FL without doing serious damage to a few fanbois daily!!!:eek::D:cool:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have even more respect for the Spirit that is @WDW1974 I somehow have my own thread around here and I can't stand it. It's only 8 pages, this is like volume 10 page 301!! I couldn't do what spirit does, and for that I salute him.

Hey, welcome back. ... You apparently stirred up some sort of trouble by suggesting that WDW will be worth buying passes for (I already have my AP ... 34 years in a row ... yes, I am a chronic!) What was up with that?

And I am not sure what I do, really. I talk about what I know. I try and educate, entertain and stimulate discussion. But thanks.

Oh, and until the last few years, I also looked damn fine in a bathing suit too!

justavoice

I have a simple question about the television side of Disney. I have noticed over the past 18 months that the original movies have been much less in programing. HSM was huge but even before they were turning a movie every month now much less original programing. Some were good, most were corny, and some just awful but at least they were original and used as a secondary vehicle for the tv actors to be showcased. I am just not seeing much creativity on TV side and with four kids I have seen a lot of Disney Channel over the past decade. Hard to believe that they lost money and when they hit, they could be huge Tween generators for money.

PhotoDave219

I have even more respect for the Spirit that is @WDW1974 I somehow have my own thread around here and I can't stand it. It's only 8 pages, this is like volume 10 page 301!! I couldn't do what spirit does, and for that I salute him.

People look for signs for things that they believe in. Things like the Virgin Mary in Toast and the whatnot.

So with the on-again, off again Star Wars rumors that have come around again (Like Clockwork), people want to believe. They want to believe that you are telling them that Star Wars is coming, much the way a child is told that Santa or the Easter Bunny is coming.

Congrats. May I suggest a nice glass of Whiskey to wash it down with.

mahnamahna101

really? wow
Not that surprising.

The queue has been neutered with the Potter overlay

The ride doesn't duel anymore

It takes up a HUGE chunk of land (bigger than LC currently)

The ride isn't that themed and gives you "wondrous" views of a retention pond and the HE heading to backstage USF

The Wonka idea for replacing LC is just too good to be passed up

Dueling Dragons definitely holds Hogsmeade down next to Diagon from the pictures I've seen (the FJ show building too)

I don't want Potter taking up 25% of each park, either

And it gives Universal a chance to top the Disney Mountains in thrills AND theming.

WDW1974

Original Poster
In a deluxe resort with rack rates starting around $350/night, guests from around the world—guests who have heard of Disney's outstanding service—have to buy balloons to get A/C.

Does Disney teach that in their guest service classes?

You never hear the phrase 'exceed guests expectations' anymore ... you'd always hear that in the 70s-90s.

But the only way I am spending $350 a night to stay at a WDW Resort is if it isn't my money or my family's or my friends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom