The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, been very busy for the past few days, but have I missed anything interesting/amusing in the Four Seasons opening department?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm curious to know how it's being received by people who aren't Marvel fans. I haven't seen any of the Marvel movies since The Avengers (which was overlong with formulaic action IMO), so I'll probably just file away the GOTG raves with the Thor 2 raves and the Winter Soldier raves.

Honestly, I haven't seen either Thor film and I thought Winter Soldier was more laughable than the producers intended (and not nearly as good as the first one). ... But this one looks great because it doesn't have famiilar characters and seems to be fun. Rene Rodriguez of the Miami Herald had a very good review (and I tend to agree with his reviews about 8-9 times out of 10). I wouldn't judge this against the typical Marvel film ... but I'll post thoughts after seeing it tomorrow night!

flynnibus

Premium Member
If one takes into consideration the utilization of resources, ie facility utilization, shifting customer demand from over demand times of year to under demand times of year is a wise move from a producer, WDW, point of view. I absolutely agree that manipulating customer demand does absolutely nothing for customer value. After all, lean is founded in the selfish interest of the producer.

I don't think you really get what Lean is. Lean is a POSITIVE thing. It aims to reduce overhead by prioritizing value, empowerment, and flexibility. You WANT people thinking and acting Lean. Lean aims to deliver quality where it's needed, quicker, and continually adapt.

Lean is not 'cut things to the bone' or 'cut spending'. Lean is the inverse really.. lean is about adjusting to where you deliver the best customer value... by being willing to adjust and refine to re-aim and adjust where needed.
Lean emphasizes agility and empowerment.. not cut-throat.

Mike S

I wouldn't expect it to see October, no.

And I am not sure if Disney will even give a closing date out of fear that some social media campaign might result in some unMAGICal moments.
Wouldn't be surprised if Disney was scared of fan outcry and some kind of gathering on the day of the closing, they should be. One would think if a company knew a decision would cause outcry within its fan base they wouldn't do it. I guess all the potential money from soccer moms and their precious little snowflake princesses is more important than us old timers. I mean, what do we know? We've only been going to the parks for years.

ParentsOf4

I don't think you really get what Lean is. Lean is a POSITIVE thing. It aims to reduce overhead by prioritizing value, empowerment, and flexibility. You WANT people thinking and acting Lean. Lean aims to deliver quality where it's needed, quicker, and continually adapt.

Lean is not 'cut things to the bone' or 'cut spending'. Lean is the inverse really.. lean is about adjusting to where you deliver the best customer value... by being willing to adjust and refine to re-aim and adjust where needed.
Ask the proverbial 10 executives what Lean is, and you'll get 10 different answers.

Throwing in my 2 cents ...

Historically, Lean is a tool to reduce cost and eliminate waste in the manufacturing process. Minimize raw material inventory, remove unnecessary steps, just-in-time manufacturing, etc.

In recent years, it's become vogue to apply the concepts of Lean to all sorts of industries.

Disney has been applying the concepts of Lean to its hospitality business in Orlando.

Lean certainly has its place in some aspects of nearly every business. However, when what's supposed to be the premium brand (with the prices to prove it) starts applying Lean to the services it provides to its customers, it stops being the premium brand.

There's a reason many feel Universal has caught up to WDW when it comes to the overall theme park experience. It's not simply because Universal has added attractions and improved service since the opening of WWOHP in 2010. It's also because the overall WDW experience has continued to decline as WDW annually Leans itself.

In 2009, WDW was the undisputed leader in North American theme park hospitality.

In 2014, the theme park hospitality leader is very much open to debate.

I refer to what Walt Disney said many decades ago:

Everybody thinks that Disneyland is a goldmine but we have had our problems. You've got to work it and know how to handle it. Even trying to keep that park clean is a tremendous expense. And those sharp-pencil guys tell you, 'Walt, if we cut down on maintenance, we'd save a lot of money.' But I don't believe in that. It's like any other show on the road; it must be kept clean and fresh.​

Can anyone seriously suggest those responsible for decisions affecting today's WDW believe in Walt's vision?

Today's WDW is being marketed using a reputation established in prior decades by those who believed in Walt Disney's vision of what the theme park experience should be.

Today's WDW is only a shell of its former glory.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Lean has it's foundation in manufacturing. Say you have a metal part which you are producing on a multi-axis machine tool final part weighs about 6 ounces but is irregularly shaped so you need a billet of metal which weighs two pounds in order to produce it.

Lean encourages you to look at alternate processes to produce that part. In this case direct metal sintering is a possible solution as it uses only 6 Oz of material to make a 6 Oz part. It eliminates the waste (and concomitant cost) of unused material and the consumables (coolant and cutters)

Lean ENCOURAGES quality and worker involvement in improving processes, Unfortunately the finance guys at many companies have perverted lean into just another cost cutting regime.

LEAN at it's core encourages cost reductions by IMPROVING processes and quality. The more perfect parts one makes the lower lifecycle costs are. At this point we are shading into Six Sigma but you get the point there is cost reduction for the sake of cost reduction ('value engineering') and cost reduction via process and product improvement which adds long term value to BOTH the customer and the bottom line.

For example if your quality levels are as follows

99.38 = 6210 Defective units per million produced
99.997 = 233 Defective units per million produced
99.99966 = 3.4 Defective units per million produced

Which process would you rather have the first or the last. The first will keep your warranty department busy the last will almost obviate the need for one.

PirateFrank

It was quite good and resembled a review/wrap up of various things we have talked about here of late, all tied together. Certainly much better than what has counted as WDW coverage over there of late. Nothing against the extremely likeable Kevin Yee, but when you try and make Celebration Place and TDO happy and the fan community happy at the same time, you are destined for only thing: to make no one happy at all.

Your approach was truthful and matter of fact. That's always a good place to start.

Tim's idea in the comments section about Uni offering DVC members a discount is a flat out stroke of genius -- Uni take notice -- You really want to hit WDW where it hurts? Take the one customer basket that WDW is putting all its eggs into.

alphac2005

Ask the proverbial 10 executives what Lean is, and you'll get 10 different answers.

Historically, Lean is a tool to reduce cost and eliminate waste in the manufacturing process. Minimize raw material inventory, remove unnecessary steps, just-in-time manufacturing, etc.

In recent years, it's become vogue to apply the concepts of Lean to all sorts of industries.

Disney has been applying the concepts of Lean to its hospitality business in Orlando.

Lean certainly has its place in some aspects of nearly every business. However, when what's supposed to be the premium brand (with the prices to prove it) starts applying Lean to the services it provides to its customers, it stops being the premium brand.

There's a reason many feel Universal has caught up to WDW when it comes to the overall theme park experience. It's not simply because Universal has added attractions and improved service since the opening of WWOHP in 2010. It's also because the overall WDW experience has continued to decline as WDW annually Leans itself.

In 2009, WDW was the undisputed leader in North American theme park hospitality.

Everybody thinks that Disneyland is a goldmine but we have had our problems. You've got to work it and know how to handle it. Even trying to keep that park clean is a tremendous expense. And those sharp-pencil guys tell you, 'Walt, if we cut down on maintenance, we'd save a lot of money.' But I don't believe in that. It's like any other show on the road; it must be kept clean and fresh.​

Can anyone seriously suggest those responsible for decisions affecting today's WDW believe in Walt's vision?

Today's WDW is being marketed using a reputation established in prior decades by those who believed in Walt Disney's vision of what the theme park experience should be.

This weekend, my wife and I pulled up Vimeo and watched several of @marni1971 's terrific WDW & DLP documentaries, as she hasn't watched any attraction related videos in ages. We were watching the PeopleMover in the MK and she turned to me and simply said that it simply just doesn't do it for her anymore. We had special memories from there, the walking around the park after dusk, taking a ride on the PeopleMover late at night, but it represented special memories from a different time for us. The time for us was before our kids and before there was virtual contempt for their customer.

The company proved with the redo of California Adventure that they know how to still deliver amazing quality domestically, if they care to.

The Walt Disney quote that you've noted is one if not the most relevant and important one that should be stamped on every door, a header on every email, and tattooed onto every person in management in Florida and California. One can assume that isn't going to happen. Ever. Although in my former life in the media business is long ago, I still stay plugged in, and I see nothing but dark clouds in the future for the company in Florida. There is so much in play within the industry that the company makes their highest profit and these complexities will grow larger.

Our friends in California are fortunate in that having such a strong local base, they proved that they could turn some of their voices into action at Disneyland. That's never been true for Florida and with the current corporate structure, there is little hope that things will change in Florida. Disney needs a corporate cleanse in management top to bottom in Florida and unless outside management is brought in after Iger, those chances seem nil. If they name Rasulo, watch the stock climb that moment and the collective hearts of true fans sink into the abyss. I do wonder if the Board will see the collective failure of MM+ and indict him preventing his ascension, which should in reality have been grounds for the firing of countless decision makers in management.

Last edited:

71jason

And I am not sure if Disney will even give a closing date out of fear that some social media campaign might result in some unMAGICal moments.

Hate to be the guy who brings up the distinguished competition again, but contrast with the closings of Kong and Jaws. The first event actually had a free pin commemorating the ride for APs, while the latter was given a couple weeks for a respectful send-off, and even allowed the final ride to be just former skippers.

Tigger1988

I'm curious to know how it's being received by people who aren't Marvel fans. I haven't seen any of the Marvel movies since The Avengers (which was overlong with formulaic action IMO), so I'll probably just file away the GOTG raves with the Thor 2 raves and the Winter Soldier raves.
Since it requires no prior knowledge of anything Marvel to enjoy it, it's being received very well by just about everyone.

Lee

Adventurer
Lean has it's foundation in manufacturing. Say you have a metal part which you are producing on a multi-axis machine tool final part weighs about 6 ounces but is irregularly shaped so you need a billet of metal which weighs two pounds in order to produce it.

Lean encourages you to look at alternate processes to produce that part. In this case direct metal sintering is a possible solution as it uses only 6 Oz of material to make a 6 Oz part. It eliminates the waste (and concomitant cost) of unused material and the consumables (coolant and cutters)

Lean ENCOURAGES quality and worker involvement in improving processes, Unfortunately the finance guys at many companies have perverted lean into just another cost cutting regime.

LEAN at it's core encourages cost reductions by IMPROVING processes and quality. The more perfect parts one makes the lower lifecycle costs are. At this point we are shading into Six Sigma but you get the point there is cost reduction for the sake of cost reduction ('value engineering') and cost reduction via process and product improvement which adds long term value to BOTH the customer and the bottom line.

For example if your quality levels are as follows

99.38 = 6210 Defective units per million produced
99.997 = 233 Defective units per million produced
99.99966 = 3.4 Defective units per million produced

Which process would you rather have the first or the last. The first will keep your warranty department busy the last will almost obviate the need for one.
I'm pretty sure hell is being trapped in ice up to your waist, surrounded by motivational posters, and being forced to listen to business theories for eternity.
Lean, six sigma, moved cheese......*shudder*:depressed:

NearTheEars

Um ... yeah. At this point, I'll believe it when I see @Lee with a Yeti-sized tube of KY doing the lubricating ... or it gets announced by Dr. Blondie on the DPB!

Do you really think they will acknowledge this fix?

"Hey, did you guys know that yeti is supposed to move? Well guess what, we're finally going to fix it!"

I think they might just let word of mouth after it reopens do the job.

Soarin' Over Pgh

This is what current Disney leaders think of Walt Disney.

40th_023.png

I think that sums it up well. Exploit, make a buck, laugh about it over cocktails later.

That image makes me feel ill. And it should, to anyone who cares.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm pretty sure hell is being trapped in ice up to your waist, surrounded by motivational posters, and being forced to listen to business theories for eternity.
Lean, six sigma, moved cheese......*shudder*:depressed:

LEAN is manufacturing process management, Six Sigma refers to defects per million units produced,

Usage of "Moved Cheese" and LEAN and Six Sigma outside of a manufacturing context is simply BRAVO SIERRA

I do agree with your characterization of hell though.

NearTheEars

This is what current Disney leaders think of Walt Disney.

40th_023.png

I think that sums it up well. Exploit, make a buck, laugh about it over cocktails later.

That image makes me feel ill. And it should, to anyone who cares.

I'd like to believe that they are trying to get people to remember who the Walt in Walt Disney World is, but are just executing it terribly.

I think some of the Walt pins are a nice touch, but that hat has made me cringe since I first saw it.

How about we try some more posters, or a One Man's Dream type of exhibit in every park.

Not a dead guy on a kids cap.

the.dreamfinder

Speaking of Frozen
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/f...nkle-in-time-for-disney-exclusive-1201275488/
Jennifer Lee, who co-wrote and directed “Frozen” with Chris Buck, has chosen her next project: “A Wrinkle in Time.”

Lee will write the bigscreen adaptation of Madeleine L’Engle’s book for Disney in which children travel through time and visit strange worlds in order to find their missing scientist father.

Published in 1962, “Wrinkle in Time” was one of Lee’s favorite novels as a child, and she impressed Disney executives with her take on the project, which emphasizes a strong female-driven narrative and creatively approaches the science fiction and world-building elements of the book.

While Lee adapts “A Wrinkle in Time,” she will continue in her role as part of Walt Disney Animation’s story trust and remain active in projects in development at the division that scored with “Frozen” — its biggest hit ever at the box office with nearly $1.3 billion — and has “Big Hero 6,” based on a Marvel property, out Nov. 7.

There is no director yet attached to “A Wrinkle in Time” that Jim Whitaker will produce with Catherine Hand.

Jeff Stockwell (“Bridge to Terabithia”) had initially tackled the screenplay when the project was first announced in 2010.

“A Wrinkle in Time” is the first book in L’Engle’s “Time Quartet” series that also includes “A Wind in the Door,” “Many Waters,” and “A Swiftly Tilting Planet.”

Whitaker most recently produced Disney’s “The Odd Life of Timothy Green.” His credits also include “American Gangster” and “Robin Hood.” Hand already had produced a “Wrinkle in Time” TV movie for ABC that aired in 2003.

Lee, who also co-wrote Disney’s “Wreck-It Ralph,” is repped by CAA and Code Entertainment.

wogwog

Present day Disney management dropped the "shell" on the floor then stepped on it and crushed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom