The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wish I would have gotten to experience this. I've heard people call it underwhelming, but it had to have been better than NEMO is now, right? It sounds cool.

Here's a simple way to look at it. You used to travel through a clear tube through the main aquarium.. surrounded by the aquarium. Now, you go through a enclosed dark room with projectors.

I like the Nemo ride.. I think it's cute and well done. It just doesn't leverage it's location very well. It doesn't really have any of the awe the Living Seas had in the 80s.

Travel Junkie

How long do you think it takes to put together a parade of the same quality of FoF? Or a show like Hunchback?

Even if they had started work on this in February, I doubt there could have been much more done beyond more CMs for greets and some more character costumes.

It could have been more professional looking, but more substantive? Doubt it.

Worked in the entertainment industry for years. I know what can be done given the resources that Disney has. They set themselves up for failure from a quality perspective by greenlighting a project 2 weeks before it was set to begin. They know better. 3 months would have been enough to put on a quality summer event if it were in California, possibly longer for Orlando, so that should have been factored in. Again, the mistake was not giving enough time to produce something worthy of a premium product like Disney.

I'm just gonna go with "See it for yourself." Teh Interwebz photos do not do that room justice.

Also, no one is making you go.

You've made your point. Please dont belabor the issue.

And I thought we were here to debate topics here. Declining Disney quality and the public acceptance of it is a pretty big one in my view.

But you still failed to answer the question of what you expect they should have in this short time (that would make you seem they are up to their own standards)
I answered it in the original reply, but I’ll be more clear. The idea is good (I said in another thread the idea was actually pretty great as counter programming to Diagon Alley.) The individual ideas for the event are fine. The execution is below Disney standards.

DLR has used Frozen more creatively and only undertaken projects that would meet a certain standard. A WOC winter overlay before movie even came out, Creating a very nice space for the Frozen meet and greet including adding a moving Olaf AA, adding a pre parade float to Soundsational, and creating an Olaf sand sculpture to the esplanade. They are small subtle additions that fit in and creatively add something to that park. If they were unable to meet a certain quality standard in the time frame given, the idea was scraped. On the other hand Orlando spends their budget on marketing and rushed events. The nicest thing besides the fireworks were the advertising banners.

NearTheEars

Here's a simple way to look at it. You used to travel through a clear tube through the main aquarium.. surrounded by the aquarium. Now, you go through a enclosed dark room with projectors.

I like the Nemo ride.. I think it's cute and well done. It just doesn't leverage it's location very well. It doesn't really have any of the awe the Living Seas had in the 80s.

Yeah, Nemo is OK for what it is. And the projections are neat. Just wish I could have experienced the original. Much like Imagination. The only version I know is the current. Which I also think is neat, but obviouslt have been told the original was awesome. Just need a time machine. :(

asianway

Avoiding spoilers (had a positive experience doing that with Diagon), but if they talk/sing, they have to be Equity, right? And I can't image they stand there mutely. Let's be honest, the number of Equity actresses Disney has "on retainer" who could pass for teen girls is pretty limited, I imagine they'll be recognizable to hard-core fans. Almost certainly pulled from Disney Rocks.
Talking has some rules, but for example enchanted tales with belle is not equity. B&B live on stage & Voyage of the Little Mermaid are. Singing makes it equity, but others had reported it looked like they were lip synching.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah, Nemo is OK for what it is. And the projections are neat. Just wish I could have experienced the original. Much like Imagination. The only version I know is the current. Which I also think is neat, but obviouslt have been told the original was awesome. Just need a time machine. :(
Hopefully this may help. I went to length to explain how the pavilion and its design as a whole was a cohesive experience. It's an old one so seems like will only play on a PC.

Rider

Don't get me wrong... I loved The Living Seas but this is wrong. There was never a clear tube in the main aquarium. There was just windows as there are now (except more of them and less animated fish) as you moved through the part which is now the EAC.

The ride itself was always a little disappointing. It probably had the record for shortest ride at WDW. It probably would have been better to just make the first floor a walkthrough.

The Hydrolators were great though.

Travel Junkie

What they have done with Frozen is pretty impressive compared to previous "throw it together" projects.

On word: GOOSEBUMPS

Welcome to the golden age of mediocrity. This is exactly what TDO wants to hear and why WDW will continue to over hype while have little substance to show for it.

In my eyes the Frozen event is indicative of current WDW operations. Over the last several years WDW has skyrocketed admission prices, food prices, and resort prices. The people still come. While the prices jump, quality has decreased. Distinct park elements have decreased, services have been cut, and new additions are increasingly rare unless they can turn an immediate profit. Attractions become neglected, leading to rides becoming worn and effects break. The customers give them a pass and the stock price soars.

TDO looks at other ways to increase the bottom line. Upcharge events begin to take shape and the public loves them. They routinely sell out, because they were added on experiences that proved to be a good value. Soon the upcharge events became stagnant and cut more and more each year. They still sell out. TDO become so confident they begin charging extra to hang out after Epcot closes and have a couple drinks. Then they add AK after hours experience. It sells out. Then they decide it put together a summer event and give themselves 2 weeks to do it. Who cares says TDO. It’s Frozen. They are right. The park is packed.

Contrast that with DLR of the last decade or so. DCA opens to lackluster reviews and a public that largely rejects it as not living up to Disney quality. In a panic, Disney attempts a number of short term rush moves to try and get people into the park and end up resorting to basically giving away admission to the park. Still the park sits empty most days. The public continues to ignore it. There is only one way to fix it. More than a billion dollars later DCA finally becomes a Disney worthy park and the public embraces it.

Disney is a business that cares about one thing, profits. They will do the least amount possible and charge the most possible for their product. Until their customers push back and stop allowing themselves to nickel and dimed at every turn and stop making excuses for failing to meet quality standards that THEY created, this will not only continue, but get worse.

As for me. I just booked my flight to Tokyo. Disney Sea here I come.

Figments Friend

Welcome to the golden age of mediocrity. This is exactly what TDO wants to hear and why WDW will continue to over hype while have little substance to show for it.

In my eyes the Frozen event is indicative of current WDW operations. Over the last several years WDW has skyrocketed admission prices, food prices, and resort prices. The people still come. While the prices jump, quality has decreased. Distinct park elements have decreased, services have been cut, and new additions are increasingly rare unless they can turn an immediate profit. Attractions become neglected, leading to rides becoming worn and effects break. The customers give them a pass and the stock price soars.

TDO looks at other ways to increase the bottom line. Upcharge events begin to take shape and the public loves them. They routinely sell out, because they were added on experiences that proved to be a good value. Soon the upcharge events became stagnant and cut more and more each year. They still sell out. TDO become so confident they begin charging extra to hang out after Epcot closes and have a couple drinks. Then they add AK after hours experience. It sells out. Then they decide it put together a summer event and give themselves 2 weeks to do it. Who cares says TDO. It’s Frozen. They are right. The park is packed.

Contrast that with DLR of the last decade or so. DCA opens to lackluster reviews and a public that largely rejects it as not living up to Disney quality. In a panic, Disney attempts a number of short term rush moves to try and get people into the park and end up resorting to basically giving away admission to the park. Still the park sits empty most days. The public continues to ignore it. There is only one way to fix it. More than a billion dollars later DCA finally becomes a Disney worthy park and the public embraces it.

Disney is a business that cares about one thing, profits. They will do the least amount possible and charge the most possible for their product. Until their customers push back and stop allowing themselves to nickel and dimed at every turn and stop making excuses for failing to meet quality standards that THEY created, this will not only continue, but get worse.

As for me. I just booked my flight to Tokyo. Disney Sea here I come.

Great post, and perfectly captures most of the current core issues that are slowly eroding away the high caliber quality of not only the WDW Resort, but the Disney organization as a whole.

Folks need to re-read the above post over again and let the reality of it all really soak in.

Wish i was going to Tokyo DisneySea ( it looks incredible )....but i love Disneyland and look forward to being back there in a few months.
Absolutely nothing going on at WDW these days to entice me to return anytime soon.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't get me wrong... I loved The Living Seas but this is wrong. There was never a clear tube in the main aquarium. There was just windows as there are now (except more of them and less animated fish) as you moved through the part which is now the EAC

Sorry, correct, it was still windows - but you were surrounded by the aquarium. Now you have no effect of that what so ever.

spacemt354

Chili's

The question is though, as a business decision, is it really wrong?

As Disney fans, we want something big. But if the general public gives validation to these "additions" with their wallet, it only makes business sense that Disney is going to continue these types of additions.

The only times they over-spend is when they think the ROI is going to be great. That was MM+, and well, they're probably still waiting for a ROI for that.

There's no need to build and build and build in your parks, at least in the corporate perspective, if your parks are racking in the guests. The parks haven't had dramatic drops in attendance figures, so there's no need for any dramatic additions. If an IP is famous, ie Frozen or Star Wars, we invest in the cheapest way possible, because we know regardless of what is offered, it will be popular. The less we spend, the greater the ROI.

I mean, it makes sense. Any good business would continue this type of thinking as long as the guests keep coming. I think our only hope for a dramatic shift is for Uni to continue its success. But the success needs to be more than Harry Potter, (ie third park) because clearly Disney doesn't do much to counter HP. The only was you'll see dramatic changes is if the guests are being pulled from the Disney parks. Anything short of that, and you'll continue to see the status quo.

lazyboy97o

The question is though, as a business decision, is it really wrong?

As Disney fans, we want something big. But if the general public gives validation to these "additions" with their wallet, it only makes business sense that Disney is going to continue these types of additions.

The only times they over-spend is when they think the ROI is going to be great. That was MM+, and well, they're probably still waiting for a ROI for that.

There's no need to build and build and build in your parks, at least in the corporate perspective, if your parks are racking in the guests. The parks haven't had dramatic drops in attendance figures, so there's no need for any dramatic additions. If an IP is famous, ie Frozen or Star Wars, we invest in the cheapest way possible, because we know regardless of what is offered, it will be popular. The less we spend, the greater the ROI.

I mean, it makes sense. Any good business would continue this type of thinking as long as the guests keep coming. I think our only hope for a dramatic shift is for Uni to continue its success. But the success needs to be more than Harry Potter, (ie third park) because clearly Disney doesn't do much to counter HP. The only was you'll see dramatic changes is if the guests are being pulled from the Disney parks. Anything short of that, and you'll continue to see the status quo.
It is only a logical short term business decision. As more and more follows suit the house of cards will not stay up.

culturenthrills

Ya got me there!

My twitter feed this afternoon is almost 50/50 between glorious pictured from Diagon Alley and people shoulder to shoulder lining up to see 2 underpaid college age girls sing with kids.

It was like the Disney Lifestyler's were trying there best to get there hashtag to surpass potterwatch. It was borderline ridiculous the sucking up to Disney there were doing.

Voice of Disney sanity

Oh absolutely. NFL as an area is an E. Shame it doesn't have an E ticket.

Its cost is an absolute disgrace given the final product.

The stale parks is the more worrying thing. A billion each for Epcot and DHS would make both parks world class again if they were run by another company. Given the way TWDC works I fear it wouldn't nearly be enough.
Of course if people are going to say that NFL as a whole is an E ticket then it must be said that potter phase 1 as a whole was an H ticket? And then potter 1 + 2 together are a P ticket!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom