The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

BrianLo

Thanks so much, your photos are beautiful! I would love to visit some day.

@BrianLo _ awesome pictures!!! Thanks so much for posting them!

Wow. Thanks for sharing these photos! HKDL looks awesome.

STAHP. *Kidding. These photos are great!* You have no idea how much I want to visit HKDL! :hungry:

You are all quite welcome!

A few things that stuck out for me: the brickwork on Main St. and how real and convincing Adventureland looked, even from just those two photos. The attention to detail and show looks to be top notch all around.

Adventureland is executed quite well, the borderline tropical rainforest that is the area really lends itself well to the land, it really is the only 'climate' that technically works with a jungle (although Florida's swamps are the next best thing I suppose).

Out of the big three gate errors (DCA, HKDL and WDS): DCA was built thematically poorly with a pretty decent lineup. HKDL's actual structure was pretty good, but far too light on attractions. WDS of course has both problems! All of which is to say they don't actually need to spend a bunch of money fixing what they've already built (ala DCA and WDS), they just needed to expand!

TREES TREEES EVERYWHEREE!!!
love the statues..thanks for sharing these photos! (ps I love Surfer Mickey!)

That statue features a pretty cool light/water package at night in time to music when you exit the park. Mickey goes significantly higher during it.

I dare say it's the best fountain out of any in Disney's portfolio. It works perfectly as the midpoint between HKDL and the looming second gate. *Fingers Crossed - Hong Kong Disney Bay*

BrianLo

Sorry if this is cross posted somewhere else already, but it deserves to get the views. Updated construction pics of SDL. Thanks Stefan for once again making the trip!

http://www.thethemeparkguy.com/park/shanghai-disneyland/

A few observations: TRON does not seem to resemble the track layouts suggested way back at all. Either they are seriously extending the building shell, or the ride also goes outdoors?

Roaring Rapids is seriously massive! In fact everything is "big", I have a feeling that's going to be the M.O. with SDL.

My excitement has gone up a notch, those two attractions are looking far more impressive then I initially pegged them for.

It still seems a little behind, but at the same time doesn't scream this is impossible to finish in 18 months anymore.

RSoxNo1

Since you pushed it...

June 9th Laserphonic Fantasy
July 12th Show Biz Is
September 7th Morocco (complete pavilion)
September 15th American Journeys
November Country Bear Christmas Special

January 15th The Living Seas (complete pavilion with immersive show and multiple exhibits)
Country Bear Vacation Hoedown opens
September 12 Captain EO

June 1 If You Could Fly
December 15 Magic Journeys

January 30th IllumiNations
May 6 Norway (complete pavilion with headline attraction)
June 18 Mickeys Birthdayland
June 28 Grand Floridian
October 1 Caribbean Beach (largest resort in the US when opened)

May 1 Disney MGM Studios (new theme park)
June 1 Typhoon Lagoon (complete Waterpark)
June 26 Dreamflight
October 19th Wonders of Life (complete pavilion with three headliners and multiple hands on exhibits)
December Star Tours

I'll let the facts speak for theirselves.
The thing is, the 1983 to 1989 gap didn't include a e-ticket addition until MGM / Wonders of Life opened. Previous to the anticipated 11 year gap between Everest and Avatar, the 6 year gap in the 80s is the largest gap in WDW history.

ParentsOf4

New fireworks, ice rink, play area, mini parade and show all put together in 10 days.

When the people complaining can prove they can do better with the same resources, I'll listen.
Disney spent more than $12 billion over the last 3 years buying back its own stock that's trading at a very high price/earnings ratio.

It's not from a lack of resources that a serious improvement hasn't already occurred at DHS.

It's from a lack of desire to do anything better with DHS.

At WDW, "best in class" has been replaced by "good enough". :banghead:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The thing is, the 1983 to 1989 gap didn't include a e-ticket addition until MGM / Wonders of Life opened. Previous to the anticipated 11 year gap between Everest and Avatar, the 6 year gap in the 80s is the largest gap in WDW history.
That's true. Although at the time Maelstrom could have been argued an E for 1988 standards. As could The Living Seas pavilion in 86. Horizons was the true last single E in October 1983, but with the mushroomed budget of EPCOT Center still pulling the company down plus the takeover threat and change of top brass it wasn't exactly the best time for the company, a company with very little free cash.

Credit to Eisner and Wells, a few months after they began they instigated the DMGM project and the long dormant Grand Floridian. As if a third gate wasn't enough, the additions to the MK and EPCOT Center that were started plus a whole other new multiple resort area on undeveloped land began an unprecedented period of growth from 1985-1990. 6 resorts under design and construction, infrastructure, two lakes and connecting canal system plus a third gate, 4 EPCOT Center pavilions, MK upgrades, Pleasure Island and a new Waterpark all under development virtually at once. Looking back it was stunning. Quite the opposite of Stagnant. Especially at a time the company was trying to rebuild its severely hit cash reserve. Unlike today.

Last edited:

asianway

Valid points. But still, it's pretty obvious all this Frozen stuff on both coasts is evidence of a company caught completely unprepared to properly support their biggest hit in years. First it was merchandise shortages, then it was three hour waits at a single meet n' greet, now it's slapped together summer promotions that replace the previous summer promotion that was so meaningless that no one could even describe it in a sentence. "Show Your Disney Side"... what the heck does that mean?

But, I will hand it to TDO for at least trying to salvage this summer with a panicky, slapped together Frozen, um, something.

That said, is it just me or should the Frozen girls have been the last float in this underwhelming four minute parade? They get thrown out there first, then it's all downhill with a parade of Precious Special Snowflakes that no one except their parents cares about, then it's a random empty cottage because cottages equal fun, then it's the guy from the movie who isn't the villain at Fun Cottage #2. Filled in with some recalled Christmas Parade dancers doing bland, low-impact choreography while dressed in Norwegian winterwear in Florida in July. And no sight of Olaf or the moose.

To add insult to injury, the "parade" concludes with two faux Norwegians in winter clothes immediately followed by a dozen dorky lower-middle-managers in nametags and unattractive 21st century Business Casual attire that instantly destroys any hint of theme or atmos or vibe that may have been created by the previous four minutes of Frozen stuff.

Seriously, they need to tell the managers in their Dockers and wash-n-wear Target short sleeve shirts to stay on the curb or back in their cubicle. They do nothing for the show and do nothing to improve the theme experience here. Isn't there a TPS report they should be doing instead? :rolleyes:

Here's the Disneyland version of the slapped together Do Something Frozen And Quick! summer pre-parade. This float now appears before each Soundsational Parade at Disneyland this summer.

Yeah... Unfortunately, this is Disney caught totally unprepared for a cultural phenomenon.

If there's 2 Soundsationals, the preparade only runs in front of one of them(1st one I think). They're starting to get as bad as WDW.

Based on that casting call I pictured Anna & Elsa singing and carrying the singalong.

We got two random equity introducing film clips.

I'd actually give them credit for the first, but I'm still holding out hope they didn't have enough time to cast and the show will change.

bhg469

I dunno but if I had a hit movie IP that already belongs to my company on my hands, I would want to give it more respect than a flimsy parade, meet and greet, and cardboard ice rink back drop.

And merchandise? I understand it takes time, but c'mon. A plush snowman hat? o_O and surely someone got a raise for that genius gift of an idea.
But that doesn't equal instant money, right now. They are failing to keep the integrity of their own IP, in favor of having the opportunity to show huge crowds showing up in a park that no one loves and how quickly they did it. I hope universal never does this because I'm afraid disney just discovered that cardboard and plywood are literally all they have to give their main demographics, and succeed.

asianway

If there's 2 Soundsationals, the preparade only runs in front of one of them(1st one I think). They're starting to get as bad as WDW.

Based on that casting call I pictured Anna & Elsa singing and carrying the singalong.

We got two random equity introducing film clips.

I'd actually give them credit for the first, but I'm still holding out hope they didn't have enough time to cast and the show will change.
@berlioz70 saying in the other thread A&E are equity. Maybe I'll give a lifestyler a YouTube click...Steve doesn't have it yet right?

doctornick

It's funny you mention that. I was thinking people today seem to forget just how cheezy most of the temporary entertainment used for promotions was in the 80s and 90s. The difference was back then things were temporary and changed quite often.. so they don't leave much of a history. Where the company today doesn't have the same cheez... but instead they just run the same entertainment until audience grows up and has kids of their own.

Today we get 'the same thing for a decade'.. back then we got lots of short lived cheezy stuff from entertainment. But at least there was some variety.

This. Haven't seen it, but I think these offerings seem pretty nice for a temporary addition for the summer that is included in admission. My gripe is that they need to do more things like this -- small scale parades or fireworks or shows -- on a temporary basis to keep things "fresh" in the parks.

It would be cool if they could plan something for Big Hero 6 now so that it would be going on when the movie is actually in theaters over the winter. Something more than just a M&G.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I dunno but if I had a hit movie IP that already belongs to my company on my hands, I would want to give it more respect than a flimsy parade, meet and greet, and cardboard ice rink back drop.

And merchandise? I understand it takes time, but c'mon. A plush snowman hat? o_O and surely someone got a raise for that genius gift of an idea.
You mean the merchandise that they can't keep on the shelves? Wasn't there a story a little while back about limiting the number of Frozen items you can purchase? I would tend to agree with you that it's not my cup of tea, but in this case they know their audience. The stuff is flying off the shelves.

flyerjab

That's true. Although at the time Maelstrom could have been argued an E for 1988 standards. As could The Living Seas pavilion in 86. Horizons was the true last single E in October 1983, but with the mushroomed budget of EPCOT Center still pulling the company down plus the takeover threat and change of top brass it wasn't exactly the best time for the company, a company with very little free cash.

Credit to Eisner and Wells, a few months after they began they instigated the DMGM project and the long dormant Grand Floridian. As if a third gate wasn't enough, the additions to the MK and EPCOT Center that were started plus a whole other new multiple resort area on undeveloped land began an unprecedented period of growth from 1985-1990. 6 resorts under design and construction, infrastructure, two lakes and connecting canal system plus a third gate, 4 EPCOT Center pavilions, MK upgrades, Pleasure Island and a new Waterpark all under development virtually at once. Looking back it was stunning. Quite the opposite of Stagnant. Especially at a time the company was trying to rebuild its severely hit cash reserve. Unlike today.

It's fascinating to me when I read this stuff. I only know WDW for about 5 years now and in that time we have visited 7 separate times. We have transformed from a family (of 5) that stayed in a huge house offsite to a family that visits multiple times a year, stays on property in the deluxe resorts, and now owns DVC points at the VGF. We have the best vacations when there and do not see this stopping anytime soon (and with UNI doing what they are doing - we are Potter fans after all - it gives us even more to do).

It just amazes me to see how the WDW resort area as a whole was run at one time...so many new things being developed simultaneously, and not small things. I watched a WDW special on youtube that was taped back in the 80s/90s timeframe (not certain as to the date of the taping) and John Lithgow was the host. At the end of the show, there was a final segment talking about what was planned for WDW in the coming years: TOT, Roger Rabbit Toontown, I believe Sunset Blvd. did not exist yet, Muppets for DHS; a Space Pavilion, an outer ring of additions to WS with one being a bullet train ride in the Japan Pavilion in EPCOT. I mean the list was insane, and I don't even think that Animal Kingdom was mentioned (I could be wrong about that though).

What I don't understand is why the change? I don't know the history of the company like some do here, but from some of the posts, I gather that Eisner and Wells at one time seemed to be worshiped by some of the posters in these threads, but then something drastically changed during their tenure as company leaders. Suddenly, WDW did not spend anymore under Eisner and cost cutting became the strategy. Under present-day management, Iger doesn't seem to want to spend on new attractions in WDW. There certainly is spending going on - DVC expansions, Aulani, new busses and bus port at MK, DTD/Disney Springs transformation, FOF Parade, NFL expansion, hub redesign and MSUSA bypass, expansion of Harambe in DAK, as well as other minor expansions in DAK. Of course, there is also the oh so magical magic bands and all of the tech infrastructure changes/upgrades. All of these things, however, seem very much relegated to infrastructure improvements (aside from the parade). Beyond Avatar in 2017, there are no new rides/expansions anywhere else that are definite. And infrastructure is important to maintain, I know, but it's not new rides or experiences.

@marni1971, I always regard you as a very knowledgeable poster for obvious reasons. My question is why such a change in philosophy here? I mean WDW prints money. On our last trip we ate at Narcoossee's, and as we waited outside on the deck, I watched the ferryboats going back and forth, non-stop, filled with people (that's right, they even added another dock). It is ridiculous to think of the amount of money WDW makes with the MK alone. Everyone always complains that it is the 'pencil-pushers' fault, or that upper management doesn't know what they are doing, or the ubiquitous, evil Board of Directors don't want to spend money because the stock price has never been higher, blah blah blah and so on. I work in a large pharma company and you hear the same type of complaints there when things don't seem to be going well. I am not a business major so there is much about this type of industry that I don't understand. As a result, I can't pinpoint why a change occurred in how the business was/is being run in Orlando.

I have not spent the last 20-30 years going to WDW so the lack of change/expansion/whatever has simply not affected me like it has other people. I just want to know why, during Eisner's years, did there seem to be a change in how WDW was developed as a business. And ever since then it has not reverted back. Is it because WDW is simply too large of an entity now? Has it become a thousand headed monster that is too difficult to control? I see people complain about maintenance issues and park cleanliness (this I don't necessarily agree with but that is just me) but if they staffed appropriately, wouldn't that demand increasing park ticket prices even higher than they are now? According to @ParentsOf4, WDW needs to either lower resort room prices, or they need to expand in their parks to justify the exorbitant onsite resort prices. Would lowering room rates even be possible in this day and age? Some solutions just seem so simple but I wonder if they will ever be instituted. Also, WDW probably has the creativity and funds to fight back against UNI right now, as I have heard people describe WDW as a sleeping giant. I don't understand why WDW doesn't, unless TWDC feels that the resort has maxed out. Do you think that is possible? Is WDW simply too large: 4 parks, 2 water parks, resorts and DVCs too numerous to count. Over-saturation can occur, but I have never heard anyone suggest that. In fact, I continue to hear the opposite: MK is great but the other 3 parks are half day parks that need to expand. I read that all of the time on these threads.

My family loves WDW, and I consider our purchase of the VGF to be a good investment. To some of my rather admittedly rambling questions above, I would love to hear why other people think WDW is rather stagnant right now in terms of park expansion (beyond MK) or addition of new rides (such as in FW or DHS). There were apparently plans in place years ago for huge expansions at EPCOT and DHS but corporate strategy seems to have changed radically. I know DAK was built, but it still seems that aggressive expansion/additions to the major parks has slowed drastically and a new business strategy exists now. It is in stark contrast to what UNI is doing, and WDW seems to have no interest in directly responding in kind. It just puzzles me.

Sorry about the length of this post. Had to get that off my chest.

flynnibus

Premium Member

How often must it be said... The parks do not live on e-tickets alone.

You are also comparing 'newborn' periods where a product that is successful will rapidly expand to periods after they stabilize. The period in question is one of the most active periods in the sense of how much was under way. No it didn't open until x years later but that's because we are talking about entire parks!

Contrast that with the trickle model in use today.. That is not sufficent for the size of the property today

3 new attractions in say 1985 went a lot further then.. In two parks and a smaller resort... Than 3 attractions does now refreshing a much larger, older property

doctornick

@flyerjab -- I think you are asking good questions. At the root, I think there are two fundamentals at play that are limiting investment in the parks:

1. WDW as a resort is still making money hand over fist. Building new attractions would have a questionable impact on increasing attendance/spending, so instead the powers that be have focused investment on items that increase spending directly (e.g. building DVC, adding premium events with a separate ticket price or even the concept behind MM+/MBs).
2. Investing in attractions is more of a long term plan to keep WDW making money for decades to come. The people in charge are more beholden to Wall Street and short term profits rather than sustainability for the P&R division. If there are issues down the road, that will be someone else's problem.

That said, it wouldn't be too tough for someone in charge to argue that declining hotel occupancy rates are limiting revenues right now that in makes good business sense to make big investments to the parks to encourage people to stay on property (and stay longer). That would help both short term profits and long term outlooks. I volunteer @ParentsOf4 to come up with a good business plan to make it work.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@flyerjab - your question has pretty much been answered.

Execs wonder why they should build more if people are still paying ever raising prices to enter. They have a captive audience. Why try hard to add more when they can just make more money from them by doing the minimum.

The company has the capability to make each of the WDW parks the best in the world bar none. They could decimate every other park, both Disney and none Disney. But in their eyes why should they?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
@flyerjab -- I think you are asking good questions. At the root, I think there are two fundamentals at play that are limiting investment in the parks:

1. WDW as a resort is still making money hand over fist. Building new attractions would have a questionable impact on increasing attendance/spending, so instead the powers that be have focused investment on items that increase (e.g. building DVC or even the concept behind MM+/MBs).
2. Investing in attractions is more of a long term plan to keep WDW making money for decades to come. The people in charge are more beholden to Wall Street and short term profits rather than sustainability for the P&R division. If there are issues down the road, that will be someone else's problem.

That said, it wouldn't be too tough for someone in charge to argue that declining hotel occupancy rates are limiting revenues that they they need to make a big investment to encourage people to stay on property (and stay longer). That would help both short term profits and long term outlooks. I volunteer @ParentsOf4 to come up with a good business plan to make it work.
I would argue that they are investing in new attractions at WDW now (the decade before FLE is another story), just not at the pace we would like. Love it or hate it FLE was a half billion dollar investment. Avatar and AK is rumored to have an even bigger budget. MM+ was a poor allocation of funds but still technically an investment. I don't think we will ever see the pace or scope of investment we saw in the late 80s into the 90s. The main thing I question now is the choice of investments.

flyerjab

@flyerjab - your question has pretty much been answered.

Execs wonder why they should build more if people are still paying ever raising prices to enter. They have a captive audience. Why try hard to add more when they can just make more money from them by doing the minimum.

The company has the capability to make each of the WDW parks the best in the world bar none. They could decimate every other park, both Disney and none Disney. But in their eyes why should they?

Thanks for the reply @marni1971. I guess to people like myself that are not classically educated in the business world, all I can see is more money on top of more money. They can definitely take the passive approach which is what they seem to be doing at present and they still make gobs of money. However, they could build onto their captive audience with new entertainment and ultimately make even more money. I would probably be a horrible CEO, as I would want to do nothing but constantly spend money. I watch youtube clips of the rides/themed environments of TDL/TDS and HKDL and know that I would simply blow through money if I could run an entertainment company that could churn out quality experiences like that. The video I saw of Pooh's Hunny Hunt was simply amazing. Comparing that to WDWs Pooh ride is almost unfair as they are not even close to being in the same league.

I am more curious if TWDC thinks that WDW has maxed out in terms of the parks. Clearly they don't feel that way when it comes to DVC in that location. I have wondered if that is why, instead of expanding in Florida, they have added to DL with DCA, and are expanding like crazy in the Pacific Rim countries. Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if the DCL expanded to that part of the world as I think that TWDC sees Asia as a cash cow that is also willing to pump money into the parks.

flyerjab

1. WDW as a resort is still making money hand over fist. Building new attractions would have a questionable impact on increasing attendance/spending, so instead the powers that be have focused investment on items that increase spending directly (e.g. building DVC, adding premium events with a separate ticket price or even the concept behind MM+/MBs).

That said, it wouldn't be too tough for someone in charge to argue that declining hotel occupancy rates are limiting revenues right now that in makes good business sense to make big investments to the parks to encourage people to stay on property (and stay longer). That would help both short term profits and long term outlooks. I volunteer @ParentsOf4 to come up with a good business plan to make it work.

Thanks for the reply @doctornick. I have always felt that you, myself and @GoofGoof think more along the same lines concerning WDW.

This just makes me wonder what will happen when Iger steps down as fearless leader. I have read on here recently that either Tom Staggs or Rasulo will be the next chief. It seems to be a common thought that Rasulo would be a devastating choice to diehard WDW fans. Staggs I wonder about though. Does anyone think that he would blaze his own trail/strategy as a leader, or is he simply cut from the same mold as Iger?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply @marni1971. I guess to people like myself that are not classically educated in the business world, all I can see is more money on top of more money. They can definitely take the passive approach which is what they seem to be doing at present and they still make gobs of money. However, they could build onto their captive audience with new entertainment and ultimately make even more money. I would probably be a horrible CEO, as I would want to do nothing but constantly spend money. I watch youtube clips of the rides/themed environments of TDL/TDS and HKDL and know that I would simply blow through money if I could run an entertainment company that could churn out quality experiences like that. The video I saw of Pooh's Hunny Hunt was simply amazing. Comparing that to WDWs Pooh ride is almost unfair as they are not even close to being in the same league.

I am more curious if TWDC thinks that WDW has maxed out in terms of the parks. Clearly they don't feel that way when it comes to DVC in that location. I have wondered if that is why, instead of expanding in Florida, they have added to DL with DCA, and are expanding like crazy in the Pacific Rim countries. Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if the DCL expanded to that part of the world as I think that TWDC sees Asia as a cash cow that is also willing to pump money into the parks.
I don't think they feel it's maxed out or they wouldn't have added FLE or Avatar or be considering anything for DHS or EPCOT. They are just investing at a slow and deliberate pace. I have more of an issue with the cutbacks to the current offerings and slipping maintenance than the lack of new investments.

Funmeister

I would argue that they are investing in new attractions at WDW now (the decade before FLE is another story), just not at the pace we would like. Love it or hate it FLE was a half billion dollar investment. Avatar and AK is rumored to have an even bigger budget. MM+ was a poor allocation of funds but still technically an investment. I don't think we will ever see the pace or scope of investment we saw in the late 80s into the 90s. The main thing I question now is the choice of investments.

I think you pointed out one of the main problems people have with Disney. "Love it or hate it FLE was a half billion dollar investment." You realize Disney's Animal Kingdom cost $800 million to build? They spent the same amount they could have spent to build an entire new park on a land expansion that is considerably lacking.

Is the "New" Fantasyland pretty to look at? Sure. It lacks in substance though. There is a lot they could have done to offer more attractions and still save money at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom