The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

AEfx

YES!! That's it!! I have looked forever to find a copy on the Internet. Should have known you would have one. :)

Do you know anything about it? I have a hard time believing it was just something standard to send out to inquiring guests - I figured it was more of a shareholder/investor sort of thing I just got lucky to get.

Even if it was something they regularly sent out, I have to say I felt like the coolest 12-year-old ever that I had that all those years - even if most of it never actually happened, LOL.

crispy

Re frozen hate...

Remember not too long ago people were saying Disney should be doing some kind of event like the Gaylord's ICE event??

That's exactly what this reminds me of... The layout... The retail+self paced stuff... Ice skating... The dark background...

The parade is a little weak considering that is what they should have been doing weeks after froZen launched.

The stage show seems fitting for a temp thing and hits what the fans are after.

Seems fitting to give people an experience catered to the hot topic. No it's not a full fledged perm attraction but it's not set to be.

And Disney doesn't turn around new stand alone attractions this quick... Nor do I want them thinking they can predict what are going to be blockbusters and committing to attractions that early. Else we could still be dealing with john carter or lone ranger attractions...

I agree! This appears to be a nice event, and I think any addition to DHS is welcome at this point. I have two little girls who would absolutely love this (and Star Wars, too...so hint, hint TDO!).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
YES!! That's it!! I have looked forever to find a copy on the Internet. Should have known you would have one. :)

Do you know anything about it? I have a hard time believing it was just something standard to send out to inquiring guests - I figured it was more of a shareholder/investor sort of thing I just got lucky to get.

Even if it was something they regularly sent out, I have to say I felt like the coolest 12-year-old ever that I had that all those years - even if most of it never actually happened, LOL.
I got it by writing (remember that!) asking for what's being built in the future. Dated January 1991. Let me snap the other pages for you.

Voice of Disney sanity

This. Haven't seen it, but I think these offerings seem pretty nice for a temporary addition for the summer that is included in admission. My gripe is that they need to do more things like this -- small scale parades or fireworks or shows -- on a temporary basis to keep things "fresh" in the parks.

It would be cool if they could plan something for Big Hero 6 now so that it would be going on when the movie is actually in theaters over the winter. Something more than just a M&G.
Everyone keeps talking about added it for free. Keep in mind a Disney park is like a buffet. No matter how many items are offered, you're only going to eat a certain amount on this visit. Yes it does add to your choices but you still only going to eat until you are full or the buffet closes.

Skip

For something they literally threw together in the time they did, it's impressive that it went up at all and is even remotely functional.

I think most people are frustrated that Disney waited as long as they did. The people behind this should have had more time and resources.

And I don't care if it's free. Disney could throw up some cardboard boxes and tell me to use my imagination... that'd be free. This isn't much better.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@AEfx - read it and weep! A goldmine of what was and what could have been.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

AEfx

I got it by writing (remember that!) asking for what's being built in the future. Dated January 1991. Let me snap the other pages for you.

You, my Sir, ROXXORS! :)

I used to call (my mom let me once a month haha - was expensive to call long distance even state to state back then!) and at the time I was working on a school project designing a ride (one that I wish would still be built, LOL - a GMR-style history of animation) so I asked for anything they could send. I really wanted a blueprint of GMR, LOL.

The CM was so nice and sent me a great package - I'm pretty sure this was after they stopped sending out the real park map/guides via mail and did those little one-page folding things and I also got a full set of the real guides that time. There was also a non-form letter apologizing that they couldn't send me a blueprint/ride layout, but that they hoped I'd like what they did send.

You have no idea how many car trips I went on with a stack of Disney guide books and that document, haha. Wow, life before the Internet! :)

Thanks Martin!

EDIT: It's funny, I'm sure it was initially prepared for internal or CM educational purposes, but now I bet they really did keep that around to send out us over-eager beaver kids, back when they cared about things like that. I am also sure we are the reason they stopped sending the full guide maps, haha. I still have those little one page maps they sent in the 90's, they are kind of cool as a relic now. Funny so many of us were doing the same thing, even so far away, LOL.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You're welcome. They sent me quite a bit of printed material, press releases and the like back in the day.

I recall asking for B roll video and ride layouts too. Ahhhh the simpler, naive days! I also wrote complaining about how lacklustre and run down Mission to Mars was and hence they sent me all this bumph specifically (and hand ticked) about the forthcoming Alien Encounter.

To think I was after all this info over twenty years ago!

AEfx

WOW :) Thanks so much, Martin!

I'm also glad that document is getting out there - I've never been able to locate it on the Internet. Brings back so many memories (and hopes!). (Also funny, just noticed your sig, we also had the same "break" - early 90's to 2001 - getting to the parks, haha.)

I knew original TLM ride was in there, though for some reason I was thinking MGM. That's why I give the new TLM ride a bit of a pass I think - I overlook any of the quibbles - because I'm just so darn glad it finally made it, LOL.

So let's see, what actually came true:

* Alien Encounter (which was intended to be scary, who knew! LOL) - Now gone
* TLM - 20 years later
* Journeys In Space (well, kinda, we got the pre-show, LOL)
* MuppetVision 3D
* Benny the Car (at Disneyland)
* Crimestoppers (sort of, morphed into Buzz at MK)

A few questions come up reading it again knowing what we know now:

* What was the other restaurant for Muppets?

* What were the "three other" attractions based on "major motion picture" material? Sounded like licensed, vs. Disney properties.

Have to chuckle at the Noah's Ark thing - really? LOL. I had forgotten that one. Also think the Kingdom Suites thing is interesting - they have been looking at that plot of land for a long time, obviously!

culturenthrills

I experienced DA and HE for the first time last night. UNI set a new bar in themed entertainment when they built Hogsmeade and with Diagon Alley, they have blown past that bar and have set it so high I don't know if even they will surpass it. Just stunning on so many levels. Spent almost 4 hours there and was just amazed around every corner I turned. People going nuts everytime the dragon did its thing. Knockturn Alley and Borgin and Burkes something Disney never would have done. Entertainment going on until almost park close, what a concept, keeping the place lively until park close instead of trying to get you to leave. Disney wishes they could have shops that are an attraction within themselves. Great Food offerings, enthusiastic Team Members and I haven't even talked about Hogwarts Express. Going through the Q at King's Cross I felt like a little kid again.

In the end I feel instead of looking down on their guests, which it seems is what WDI does now, Universal Creative respects there guests. And has created hands down the most immersive state of the art land any of us has ever seen. All of this and we haven't even seen Escape from Gringott's yet.

Voice of Disney sanity

I think this is when the decline of WDW started. It's when disney first started making promises to its customers and we as fans did not hold hem accountable when they didn't come through and build it. I remember when they had a giant sign in front of MGM that said future site of David copperfields magic underground, this was right around the time you got this letter. My family and I were so excited at the prospect of dining there. Then a year later the sign was gone with no aknowledgement or explanation from disney. It was as if they wanted to pretend they had never said it was coming. I should have wrote letters and questioned Disney. I feel we all let Disney off the hook and that only emboldened them to take more liberties.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom