The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
remember when they had a giant sign in front of MGM that said future site of David copperfields magic underground,

image.jpg

PhotoDave219

Great find on that document. I have to wonder, why did they never build the Mediterranean Resort? I wonder if that would've gone in the huge area between the Contemporary and the TTC.

There are urban legends of test footers that were poured that disappeared. Whether its true or not, the general rumor is that the land is not suitable for construction.

PhotoDave219

I think it's time to clean my twitter feed again. When you consider a vinyl wrap on a door "amazing"... something is terribly wrong.

People use adjectives wrong. They also use the phrase "Best Thing Ever" or "Is the best ever" incorrectly and without perspective.

Clean drinking water is the best thing ever. Antibiotics are the best things ever. Anything at a theme park means these people need to spend more time in the third world.

Phil12

Yeah, Nemo is OK for what it is. And the projections are neat. Just wish I could have experienced the original. Much like Imagination. The only version I know is the current. Which I also think is neat, but obviouslt have been told the original was awesome. Just need a time machine. :(
I'll help you out:

"And it rained....and rained....and rained....and rained.

THE DELUGE!!!!"

The Empress Lilly

I think this is when the decline of WDW started. It's when disney first started making promises to its customers and we as fans did not hold hem accountable when they didn't come through and build it. I remember when they had a giant sign in front of MGM that said future site of David copperfields magic underground, this was right around the time you got this letter. My family and I were so excited at the prospect of dining there. Then a year later the sign was gone with no aknowledgement or explanation from disney. It was as if they wanted to pretend they had never said it was coming. I should have wrote letters and questioned Disney. I feel we all let Disney off the hook and that only emboldened them to take more liberties.
Eh, they promised us Western River Expedition in 71. And Spain, Israel, Venezuela, Equatorial Africa in 82. And a city in 66.

Not every concept, proposal, or in this case 'expansion project' ever makes it to 'planned and with a budget approved'. Few do. Thankfully. Half of that list I'm happy never got build. Of the half that did get build, I regret half too.

@marni1971 - terrific document! Thanks for that!

Last edited:

TP2000

Disneyland has what 5? not counting others that came later. So they really have 8, pan, snow, alice, toad, pinocchio,,,then later buzz, pooh, roger rabbit.

Buzz Lightyear is a bigger Omnimover type ride, really. Disneyland has 7 of these little dark rides; Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Pinnochio, Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, and Roger Rabbit. There are actually 8 of these rides in Anaheim when you add in the Monsters Inc. dark ride next door at DCA.

Why the WDW Resort property only has 2 of these types of Walt-era rides left is one of the great mysteries of modern theme park design and operation. :confused:

I've had a house full of family this weekend, but as they are going to Balboa today for the beach I snuck out early and went to the Downtown Disney Starbucks for breakfast and then went to ride the newly refurbed Alice In Wonderland, and... Wow!

Youtube videos never do this stuff justice, but you can still see most of what they achieved here. Even after this ride got simpler projection and lighting upgrades about six years ago, from its 1984 remake. But this is a full rework that seamlessly blends HD video and impressive digital-mapping onto physical sets and moving props. And the audio is thoroughly redone and presented through obviously state-of-the-art sound systems targeted perfectly at the vehicles; the new audio was crystal clear and expertly timed at my vehicle for every scene.

I've been posting online for almost 20 years as Theme Park 2000 (when the year 2000 was still futuristic), and those who know me know that I very rarely invoke the name of a famous dead man. But on this one, I can confidently say that Walt Disney would love what they've done with this ride! He and his team could have only dreamed to have this technology available when they opened Alice In Wonderland in June, 1958.

Walt and some very creepy characters christen Disneyland's new Alice In Wonderland ride - June, 1958
dlwalt+alice+b+658.jpg

http://www.disneyhistoryinstitute.com/2011/07/dhi-disneyland-birthday_17.html

Last edited:

doctornick

I wish I would have gotten to experience this. I've heard people call it underwhelming, but it had to have been better than NEMO is now, right? It sounds cool.

I think people overrate Seabase Alpha. The concept was fantastic with the Hydrolaters, but the "ride" was boring as all get out and the film got stale once you saw it a few times. The seabase itself is largely the same as it is now (and the changes are to the better, like adding Crush).

The Empress Lilly

I think people overrate Seabase Alpha. The concept was fantastic with the Hydrolaters, but the "ride" was boring as all get out and the film got stale once you saw it a few times. The seabase itself is largely the same as it is now (and the changes are to the better, like adding Crush).
I thought the Seas a bore too. I was so disappointed when it opened. One of the few new offerings of WDW during the better part of a decade, and it was a big saltwater tank with the most pointless ride in the history of theme parks.

Back then we felt the Seas was supposed to keep visitors away from Seaworld. Did that ever fail! Seaworld's then-state-of-the-art shark tunnel alone was better.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The problem now is it doesn't know what it is. A scientific Seabase with a few cartoon references? A long dead theme that won't leave the building? Or a cartoon world with an 80s real world theme? The pavilion has so many thematic and show flaws it is a huge shame. Cheap overlay that had a too-small budget. Like most others I'd rather have this than the once-real alternative of closing the pavilion but it could have been a lot more for not a lot more. Toonified or not.

At least fix the damn exterior lighting!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought the Seas a bore too. I was so disappointed when it opened. One of the few new offerings of WDW during the better part of a decade, and it was a big saltwater tank with the most pointless ride in the history of theme parks.
One issue was each version was downsized from the original late 70s The Seas pavilion. United Tech signed off on their scientific pavilion that perhaps tried too hard to be both scientific and true to the original fantasy design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom