The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PrincessNelly_NJ

I have come to a realization. The addition of HP2 will benefit WDW.

After seeing the chaos that is the soft opening of HP2, I am rescheduling what was to be 2 days at UNI back to WDW seeing the price to stand in line is too great. I can stand in potentially shorter for a lesser price at WDW.

While a short term gain for WDW, it is pretty ironic that my spend at WDW will increase due to the the popularity of UNI.
Interesting, we were just planning a short 1 day park hopper trip to USF but have now decided to stay at Uni for our first two days to take advantage of early entry and express pass.
Some people might steer clear of DA and some, like myself, are running right into the madness! Lol

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

This is one of the areas where those who sing the praises of the basic features of MyMagic+ show their unfamiliarity with other destinations. RFID keys coming to Walt Disney World was an inevitability, not some amazing leap forward.
but that's where people also need to realize that a portion of the money spent on MM+ was inevitable to be spent anyway. Most of it was just infrastructure/software upgrades, which were sorely needed anyway. When you have a resort the size of WDW, that's going to cost a decent amount of money to fully implement.

bhg469

Interesting, we were just planning a short 1 day park hopper trip to USF but have now decided to stay at Uni for our first two days to take advantage of early entry and express pass. Lol
If you enjoy the parks and dont run through like your life or fp+ reservations depend on it, 2 days is a great amount of time at universal. Having said that, I could do everything I care to see at wdw in 2-3 days.

Last edited:

PrincessNelly_NJ

If you enjoy the parks and song run through like your life or fp+ reservations depend on it, 2 days is a great amount of time at universal. Having said that, I could do everything I care to see at wdw in 2-3 days.
We always visited during Sept and found the crowds pretty easy at Universal if we hit rope drop at USO first then have a nice sit down lunch then close out IOA. We skip a few things but now with DA, just early entry alone would be worth taking a day from my WDW. Plus I here Uni resorts are amazing! So I'm excited to give it try!

mgpan

THIS is one of the many reasons I love this site. I actually LEARN about not only Disney and Universal but the entertainment bus. (animation, branding, tech, the works!). And for all the comments about skipping a thread because of who wrote it or ignoring it because of the initial topic being discussed, you'll miss insights just like this one.

You mean the thing that was fixed?
tumblr_mxjrr9zxXO1qli0bmo2_250.gif
;)

for reference heres the original:
tumblr_mxjrr9zxXO1qli0bmo1_500.gif

Want to know the source of the "mistake?" The promotional music video they released on youtube for the song. The feature didn't have this in it :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
but that's where people also need to realize that a portion of the money spent on MM+ was inevitable to be spent anyway. Most of it was just infrastructure/software upgrades, which were sorely needed anyway. When you have a resort the size of WDW, that's going to cost a decent amount of money to fully implement.
Most people do.

It's using backstage upgrades as an excuse to open a bottomless pit that directly impacts on Parks spending that is irksome.

Mike S

Like I said, I get what you were saying before about important topics having their own threads. But please, there is no need to say we have a "cult like obsession" with 74 because that isn't true. Most of us have been keeping this thread alive without input from him at all. Or referring to people discussing Uni as "wearing blinders" when clearly we have talked about everything from Disney to running shoes to the Jersey shore to Chipotle.
We have been discussing a wide range of topics. Universal is the most popular topic in Orlando right now... we've discussed what Disney is doing over a couple hundred pages, we discussed Seaworld in a few pages, and other things.
No one has on blinders, we are just talking about whatever.
You can make your point but there is no need to insult people by belitting them to nothing but Uni fanbois.
Don't forget Iron Maiden ;)
;)

Want to know the source of the "mistake?" The promotional music video they released on youtube for the song. The feature didn't have this in it :)

Not trying to come off as an "apologist" in any way, but a lot of time and effort goes into making CG movies, and a lot of the times deadlines get pushed up for marketing purposes. This also happens with regular movies too, thats why a lot of times there are scenes in the trailer that are not in the movie (or they are, but different).

RE: how to train your dragon 2 and its "new software". A little off point...it was a new VERSION of the software that was developed in the 80s :) It was re-written to meet todays hardware, but overall the system works the same as always. Similar to how Pixar has Marionette and Renderman, a lot of studios build in-house software to work with their pipeline. Each company's respective suite has something it does better than somebody elses. I do always find it amusing with every CG release, every studio has to boast about something they "never were able to do before they developed new software". For Pixar, it was hair and water physics. For Disney it was hair, clothes, and snow. For dreamworks its usually fire and particles.

Now..and sorry for babbling on about this..yet again...

There is always a huge downside to using "custom" software. Is it easy to use? sure it is......once you are trained in it. No college/university teaches these programs. Upon getting hired by a bigger studio, you have a very limited time to get familiarized with how their system works. While you are learning, you are not being productive..and thats not something they like. Its because of this that Disney/Pixar have actually started adapting their software to "plug in" directly into the API's of other, commercially available software. Namely Maya. This is widely taught by all universities and by just having it so you can work within it while harnessing the power of their development advances, you eliminate the learning curve for new hires.

In the end does ANY of it matter? Not in the least. Sure the new tools are neat..but all it does is make it all EASIER. Few of what you see today on screen was impossible 10 years ago, it just took more work.
Thank you for all that. Now I know why I didn't notice it, it wasn't there :) And I do appreciate how much work they put in making these movies. Whenever I spot something like this I view it as a kind of Hidden Mickey if you will. A mere curiosity. Unless there's rampant problems throughout the whole movie, doesn't bother my enjoyment one bit.

stlphil

I have come to a realization. The addition of HP2 will benefit WDW.

After seeing the chaos that is the soft opening of HP2, I am rescheduling what was to be 2 days at UNI back to WDW seeing the price to stand in line is too great. I can stand in potentially shorter for a lesser price at WDW.

While a short term gain for WDW, it is pretty ironic that my spend at WDW will increase due to the the popularity of UNI.
Reminds me of Yogi Berra's quote about why he no longer went to a certain restaurant- "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded".

Cesar R M

Thats a new rumor - the campground going away, not the Four Seasons outshining the Grand Fla.

Of course the Four Seasons will outshine the Grand Fla. The Grand Fla is not as upscale as they want to think it is... as attested to by countless posts here.

Something to pay attention to, yes. But unlikely IMO.

Doesn't the nearby Waldorf Astoria blows the GF and contemporary out of the water anyway?

Cesar R M

Hey Goof - someone took offense with the term 'crazy'. I think we're supposed to use 'dumbass'.

I think those levels of obsession are constant not only in theme parks..
anyone remembers those idiots who camped 4 days or more to be in line to get their Playstation 3?
Just for a mere months later the same PS3 gets a price cut and a fix for its first bugs?

Or those who get in line for the new Ipad or game.

Preordering for gods sake!!!

Ranch Dressing

Next week Cabana Bay is being predicted to be at 98-100% booked. Rooms took off the last 24 hours if you want a room for next week get one now, seriously right now. They have promo rates so ask. The Lowes deluxes are moving a little with HRH possibly getting to 85% capacity but the other two far behind. Far behind.

On the Disney front AoA standard rooms will be 100% booked. Other value rooms are now starting to move. All other resorts will need the weekend to see where they will be at.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I think those levels of obsession are constant not only in theme parks..
anyone remembers those idiots who camped 4 days or more to be in line to get their Playstation 3?
Just for a mere months later the same PS3 gets a price cut and a fix for its first bugs?

Or those who get in line for the new Ipad or game.

Preordering for gods sake!!!

Not justifying the behavior but many are doing it for social reasons and so they can experience the prolonged anticipation. We used to camp out overnight to get front-row seats to a hot concert here when I was younger, my kids will never have to experience that but can if they choose to when they get older even though I cannot image why they would.

Cesar R M

;)

Not trying to come off as an "apologist" in any way, but a lot of time and effort goes into making CG movies, and a lot of the times deadlines get pushed up for marketing purposes. This also happens with regular movies too, thats why a lot of times there are scenes in the trailer that are not in the movie (or they are, but different).

RE: how to train your dragon 2 and its "new software". A little off point...it was a new VERSION of the software that was developed in the 80s :) It was re-written to meet todays hardware, but overall the system works the same as always. Similar to how Pixar has Marionette and Renderman, a lot of studios build in-house software to work with their pipeline. Each company's respective suite has something it does better than somebody elses. I do always find it amusing with every CG release, every studio has to boast about something they "never were able to do before they developed new software". For Pixar, it was hair and water physics. For Disney it was hair, clothes, and snow. For dreamworks its usually fire and particles.

Now..and sorry for babbling on about this..yet again...

There is always a huge downside to using "custom" software. Is it easy to use? sure it is......once you are trained in it. No college/university teaches these programs. Upon getting hired by a bigger studio, you have a very limited time to get familiarized with how their system works. While you are learning, you are not being productive..and thats not something they like. Its because of this that Disney/Pixar have actually started adapting their software to "plug in" directly into the API's of other, commercially available software. Namely Maya. This is widely taught by all universities and by just having it so you can work within it while harnessing the power of their development advances, you eliminate the learning curve for new hires.

In the end does ANY of it matter? Not in the least. Sure the new tools are neat..but all it does is make it all EASIER. Few of what you see today on screen was impossible 10 years ago, it just took more work.

When the song-video was released, Many people called disney lazy for that huge clipping error. Hence why it was rushed and fixed.
I heard the first movie releases in certain cinemas had the same clipping errors as well and Disney had to rush to fix some other bugs along the way too (like I had said earlier about Kristoff and Anna) and then sent the final fixed copy. I never seen the clipping bugs in the Mexican release.. so I suppose they got the final version.

As for Software, I agree with you.. RISE OF THE GUARDIANS was praised for their particle systems (specifically the sand and snow). Pixar for the hair in Monster's inc (when their computer power was low and made almost unthinkable to animate a character full of hair).

what am i looking at here?

The song video of "LET IT GO" from FROZEN.
The first release had heavy clipping on her hair (it goes thru her arm/shoulder/chest) the fixed version resolves this issue.

Ranch Dressing

Thats a new rumor - the campground going away, not the Four Seasons outshining the Grand Fla.

Of course the Four Seasons will outshine the Grand Fla. The Grand Fla is not as upscale as they want to think it is... as attested to by countless posts here.

Something to pay attention to, yes. But unlikely IMO.

Aww don't be so hard on my GF. I worked there for a year so I have a bias.

As for the campground rumor, it came from a solid source over drinks last night at the Dolphin. While I do think its a little far fetched the rational behind the discussion was convincing.

If the source is right, they also mentioned a complete bombshell I'm going to sit on for now.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

As for the campground rumor, it came from a solid source over drinks last night at the Dolphin. While I do think its a little far fetched the rational behind the discussion was convincing.

If the source is right, they also mentioned a complete bombshell I'm going to sit on for now.

Well heres hoping it doesn't go off, wed all miss out.

baymenxpac

far-fetched? maybe. but it is intriguing to think about, especially when you consider that the camp grounds are beloved, but sit on top of some prime real estate. plus, i view the camp grounds as something largely based in the WDW of old; somewhere you could have a unique experience. i don't put it past them to further homogenize the resort by building some new mega deluxe resort.

Cesar R M

Not justifying the behavior but many are doing it for social reasons and so they can experience the prolonged anticipation. We used to camp out overnight to get front-row seats to a hot concert here when I was younger, my kids will never have to experience that but can if they choose to when they get older even though I cannot image why they would.
there is a huge difference between a limited event and something that can be SEEN/BOUGHT ANYTIME.
so your point is very valid(Limited concert), theirs... not so much (the people waiting for PS3, games, new ipad..etc..)
because they could get them right at their home with a preorder.

Mike S

Is it a good bombshell or one that would make the community rage?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
there is a huge difference between a limited event and something that can be SEEN/BOUGHT ANYTIME.
so your point is very valid(Limited concert), theirs... not so much (the people waiting for PS3, games, new ipad..etc..)
because they could get them right at their home with a preorder.

Whenever the newest Call of Duty game comes out there is a line at Gamestop longer than Soarin on a busy day. I drive right past it and go to Wal-Mart where there is never a line. Last November on the midnight release I waited about 2 minutes and was home playing 12:30 while a friend of mine was standing in line at Gamestop and they had drawn lottery numbers to break them into groups and it took him about 2 hours to get his copy and he even pre-ordered it! I think some people enjoy the craziness of being at the busiest spot. Why? I have no idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom