The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

DisneyFan 2000

So in an effort to bring this thread back to some sort of "on-topic" issue, two questions:
1. What can we expect from the Frozen fireworks show? Length, music? I'm assuming (hoping) they'll be using more than just Frozen songs and score, right?
2. Anyone with any inside info predicting an announcement of substance from Disney soonish? How long 'till those crowds and lines at UNIversal finally spook them or will they even?

Longhairbear

Was there in June, the remodel works, they did remove some of the flavor to modernize the rooms, but didn't suck all of the theming out.
That's good to hear. From the pictures in Disney Files, it looked like they took out the darker woodsy paint tones, and replaced it with Grand Floridian white. It looked like they did away with the carved headboards, not sure about that from the pictures. The article mentioned all the new Bambi paintings, so I'm wondering if the classic railroad theme is gone. I read on other forums that the drop down table attached to the Murphy bed under the TV is too small for using 2 laptops, and no nearby connections for power, or internet. Not having been there myself yet, and only seeing negative reactions online, it's good to read you like the redo. Thanks!

BrianLo

Some random food for thought because something occurred to me all of a sudden. Humour me for a moment with this - let's put aside general upkeep, refurbs, overlays, the quality of the product to begin with and entertainment additions. Basically I want to focus on the new builds and rides. I know we love to flog the terrible pace that WDW moves...

BUT - I feel like picking on the golden child for a moment here...

As of Ratatouille opening, the resort with (in my opinion) the least exciting past five years is Tokyo Disney Resort.

In terms of actual new rides (Star Tours 2.0 aside) we've got Toy Story Midway Mania and Jasmine's Flying carpets. Monster's Ride and Go Seek has now slipped quietly past its 5 year anniversary. Not to say some of what they have coming up in terms of entertainment and refreshments aren't exciting, but they have exactly ZERO new rides currently under construction as well.

Take from that what you will, but they really need to start spending that promised 40% budgeted increase.

Mike S

Some random food for thought because something occurred to me all of a sudden. Humour me for a moment with this - let's put aside general upkeep, refurbs, overlays, the quality of the product to begin with and entertainment additions. Basically I want to focus on the new builds and rides. I know we love to flog the terrible pace that WDW moves...

As of Ratatouille opening, the resort with (in my opinion) the least exciting past five years is Tokyo Disney Resort.

In terms of actual new rides (Star Tours 2.0 aside) we've got Toy Story Midway Mania and Jasmine's Flying carpets. Monster's Ride and Go Seek has now slipped quietly past its 5 year anniversary. Not to say some of what they have coming up in terms of entertainment and refreshments aren't exciting, but they have exactly ZERO new rides currently under construction as well.

Take from that what you will, but they really need to start spending that promised 40% budgeted increase.
Hm, interesting point. I guess Disney rests on its laurels everywhere. I wonder how long it will take though for OLC to approve a "Potter Swatter". Then again one could say they've already had it since 2001 and were way ahead of the game
image.jpg
(Look ma, no strobe light!!!)

Talking about new rides though I wouldn't be surprised if they build either just a Frozen ride in Fantasyland or a whole Arendelle expansion in TDS (it is a port after all). The movie has done crazy well in Japan and OLC isn't as afraid to spend money as TDO. Also I think some of it stems from the fact TDS cost $4 billion to build just by itself and is so well done people are a little more forgiving.

Last edited:

erider

I agree. I have been to Tokyo Disney Resort 3 times and have already seen Monsters. Now I keep waiting for a unique new attraction before I go back. I hope they announce something soon.

rioriz

If they ever took the campground away that is when I will officially blow a gasket.

I go every trip whether I stay there or not. Still one of largest differences between the the Orlando resort in my own opinion

seascape

:confused: I don't know what any of that has to do with what I said.
You were the one who compared Disney to Woolworth. Of course that means that because they were number one and no longer exists, your words, and so universal would then be number one that they must be Walmart using your comparison because Walmart is the largest retailer. I'm just using your comparison.

lazyboy97o

You were the one who compared Disney to Woolworth. Of course that means that because they were number one and no longer exists, your words, and so universal would then be number one that they must be Walmart using your comparison because Walmart is the largest retailer. I'm just using your comparison.
You're still trying way too hard to make it something it is not. The only point is that having a strong business position now is not an eternal proposition. That is all. Nothing about Universal. Nothing about Walmart (even though they somewhat understand that).

Goofyernmost

Universal as been discussed a few times.. I have no idea why the sudden hate towards Universal getting the spotlight now (other than food talk).

Why the sudden push to remove Universal from the talk?
I really have absolutely no hate towards Universal, in fact, I think that they are leading the way right now, and that is good for all of us. I just felt that the Universal talk in this thread alone was to narrow focused and would be better as a stand alone discussion and information piece. That is the only reason why I said anything. My mistake I guess, trying to make folks that are wearing blinders, see anything but what is directly in front of them. I am trying really hard to get this particular discussion about my motives to end, but like Micheal Corleone said, "every time I try to got out, they pull me back in".

Goofyernmost

In overdrive trying to derail the thread tonight. To paraphrase Loki, another TWDC owned/controlled character, "Mickey truly is desperate."
You don't know me at all do you? If you really think that what I have been saying has anything to do with Disney, you cannot be further off the mark.

asianway

Hm, interesting point. I guess Disney rests on its laurels everywhere. I wonder how long it will take though for OLC to approve a "Potter Swatter". Then again one could say they've already had it since 2001 and were way ahead of the gameView attachment 58015(Look ma, no strobe light!!!)

Talking about new rides though I wouldn't be surprised if they build either just a Frozen ride in Fantasyland or a whole Arendelle expansion in TDS (it is a port after all). The movie has done crazy well in Japan and OLC isn't as afraid to spend money as TDO. Also I think some of it stems from the fact TDS cost $4 billion to build just by itself and is so well done people are a little more forgiving.
Oooh knock down Stormrider and use the pad by Indy. 200 ft tall ice castle, I'm in.

lazyboy97o

This has kind of come up from time to time, mostly regarding strains in the relationship between the Oriental Land Company and The Walt Disney Company.

71jason

FWIW, I hadn't watched any videos of the ride, but I just did. It doesn't translate very well to Youtube. In person the pic quality is far superior.

Agreed. I was leery after seeing the picture of Luna and the twins "watching TV" as JT said, but the effect works much more naturally in person. And the screen truly is 3D without glasses--Youtube can't capture that. In any case, I spent more time looking over at the other side of the cab.

If there is one problem with the train, it's that it's too authentic--guests are given far too much privacy. I joked about the "9 3/4 Club" becoming a thing on Twitter last night, but I also could see guests trying to rip souvenirs off the walls or leaving half empty cans of beer in a cab for kids to find. Unless there are well-hidden cameras, and an army of security watching every cab, that seems to me the only potential issue.

Goofyernmost

I respect you for two reasons. One is that your are older than me and thats just how I was raised, and two, you have been on this site for quite some time. However, I respectfully disagree with your thoughts and would have to ask why you would only dispute the topic of this thread when it becomes about Uni? The thread has talked about a dozen different things and gone off topic almost daily but you only have an issue with the Universal Studios conversation.
Sorry to disappoint you but there is no hate for Universal at all. I've been going there since it opened, almost as regularly as to WDW. So lets stop the crap about hate and read the words.

You asked a reasonable questions about "why this topic", "why now?" I'll be happy to tell you. It is because it was nothing more the a more wordy tweet site throughout most of it. Crazy people waiting 21 days for a soft opening, safety issues with a stagnant crowd, are they going to have soft opening, are they not, are they having problems and, of course, are they important or just a computer hiccup. It was "all Uni, all the time. It didn't relate directly in conversation with comparison with Disney and their inability to do it right anymore. It was had turned into a absolute billboard for Universal information and nothing else. It wasn't doing any harm where it was, but I was limited in it's usefulness to the rest of the folks that might have an interest in what is happening there as well. If I were looking for information on UNI would I think that I might find that on this particular thread? It was fine as a casual conversation about the difference between one theme park and the other, but, it had a lot more usefulness in other places.

And this is the last word that I am going to have on it. I have expressed my opinion and given the reasons why, but, no one wants to try and understand what I'm saying so, there is no real use in responding to it anymore.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I really have absolutely no hate towards Universal, in fact, I think that they are leading the way right now, and that is good for all of us. I just felt that the Universal talk in this thread alone was to narrow focused and would be better as a stand alone discussion and information piece. That is the only reason why I said anything. My mistake I guess, trying to make folks that are wearing blinders, see anything but what is directly in front of them. I am trying really hard to get this particular discussion about my motives to end, but like Micheal Corleone said, "every time I try to got out, they pull me back in".
Like I said, I get what you were saying before about important topics having their own threads. But please, there is no need to say we have a "cult like obsession" with 74 because that isn't true. Most of us have been keeping this thread alive without input from him at all. Or referring to people discussing Uni as "wearing blinders" when clearly we have talked about everything from Disney to running shoes to the Jersey shore to Chipotle.
We have been discussing a wide range of topics. Universal is the most popular topic in Orlando right now... we've discussed what Disney is doing over a couple hundred pages, we discussed Seaworld in a few pages, and other things.
No one has on blinders, we are just talking about whatever.
You can make your point but there is no need to insult people by belitting them to nothing but Uni fanbois.

Last edited:

crispy

I would love to talk about Disney, but there just isn't a lot of positive things to talk it. People are excited about a new, truly great addition at a theme park and want to talk about it. I also think most of us wish it were happening at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom